Death Rebirth and Everything in-between

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Deborah, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

For those looking for well presented - well researched material; this article is a must read. It is a scientific and philosophical exploration on
    Death Rebirth and Everything in Between by Carter Phipps.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the article. All views are welcome. ENJOY!

In the section regarding The Body Remembers -

2. Clivia

Clivia Senior Registered

Hi Deborah

thanks for the link :)

It's so good to know that the number of scientists who give reincarnation a serious thought and who dedicate their time to do profound research is growing - also the fact that universities are opening their gates to this important part of our lives.

I don't make it a secret that I believe in reincarnation - for example in our office everybody knows - however I only talk about it when I am asked. It is always easier when speaking to skeptics or people with no believe to come up with facts - rather than 'i felt it - it went hot and cold down my spine - I know from meditation and ....' - yes for those who believe and have experienced these feelings they are valid indications - for those who don't believe it's easier to present for example the work of Ian Stevenson or Carol Bowman.

I only wished that the ending of the article was different - because in his last paragraph Carter Phipps remains skeptic

Clivia

3. lynxie

lynxie New Member

Oh! I thought the skeptic ending made the article more neutral as a whole. Partly to provide an excuse for the blurry atmosphere when describing the afterlife, but partly because there just is no actual proof that reincarnation exists. There are many other possibilities to explain the memories some children have.

It's just... All the other explanations that are being given do not sound reasonable either... A big database with all the lives and events on earth in it, outside our atmosphere? How ridiculous is it to state THAT when you claim that reincarnation is far-fetched?

Anyway, thanks for the link, Deborah. I enjoyed reading about it.

Although my consistent belief in polarity tells me that we will never be able to prove what will happen after we die... The more excited I get when I get to read an article like this one!

4. Clivia

Clivia Senior Registered

Yes Lynxie :) there is no so called scientific proof that reincarnation does exist - and there is no so called scientific proof that it does not exist.

There is not even a 100% proof for gravity - that's at least what our teacher in physics told us.

A Cern physicist told me once 'science is putting up a theory and than trying to proof that it does not work'

It's good to be sceptic - it's good not to believe instantly what you are told - and most of all it's rewarding to do your own research and experiments.

Have you ever tried a regression or meditation on past lives ?

Clivia

5. lynxie

lynxie New Member

Hi Clivia,

I'm planning to :) I might find time in between university semesters, or during summer holiday.

What I meant is that as a scientist you can't write a few hypotheses about a phenomenon you're not sure about it exists (because there is no scientific proof), and then claim that the thoughts you put forward, which are being labelled as not proof by the researchers themselves, are proof according to you, because they provide evidence.

6. Clivia

Clivia Senior Registered

Hi Lynxie :)

we shall be very interested in the results of your plans and hope that you will share at least some of them later in the forum.

And you managed perfectly to explain the words of the Cern physicist with your own words;)

Clivia

7. Deborah

Hi Clivia,

I think that way they leave the door open for an easy escape. LOLOL Seems to me - most do these days. But that's OK in a way it makes if feel safer for others to explore. At least that's my 2 cents. ;)

8. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

We have been over this whole 'scientific evidence' discussion before and I don't want to go over old ground, but actually there is a huge amount of evidence that reincarnation is at the very least one very feasible hypothesis for what happens after death. The story cited at the top of the article is only one of many thousands of similar stories, many of them even more compelling. Drs Tucker and Stevenson gathered a truckload of such stories over many years (as described in the article), all from children who had no reason, let alone inclination, to deceive. Either all these people are liars or crazy and there is a huge organised conspiracy, or there is something going on which really ought to be looked into systematically.

The main reason there is a scarcity of 'proof' - ie. something written up in 'Nature' magazine and so on, is there is so much religion, fear and superstition around on this subject that no scientist (or editor) who values his career, will go anywhere near it for fear of ridicule.

I find far too many people who don't know anything about the topic far too quick to dismiss it without looking into it properly. "There is no proof!" they cry. I always ask them on what basis they make that statement. They seldom have an answer other than to say 'There just isn't!". This is blind ideology talking, not a scientific process of enquiry being championed.

9. Deborah

Thank you Tanguerra for your thoughtful reply. Many claim there is no proof; but I am finding that others seem to be very open to the possibility. Carl Sagan for one - said reincarnation and the cases of children's past life memories was something worth looking into. :)

10. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Deborah gradually, gradually things are changing.

With the upsurge of interest in Buddhism and Hinduism in the west, with the studies already done by Ian Stevenson, Helen Wambach and many other highly qualified people, not to mention the information shared in this forum, people may become a little less hasty in their instant dismissal of the very possibility!

I had a disagreement the other night with an acquaintance on the topic of whether 'Western Science' was based on blind belief in the utter supremacy of materialism (the only thing which is 'real' is what can be sensed by humans or their instruments - everything else is fantasy or falsehood) or a completely neutral, unbiased and very useful tool for wide ranging enquiry and understanding about the world and the universe. You can guess which position I took! I did not win, but I made him think! :)

11. Charles Stuart

Charles Stuart Probationary

Hi Deborah and Tanguerra, :)

I have a view on this that what happens in our Western Culture is that for centuries we were subdued by the imposed versions of the Christian Churches, and when science demonstrated that certain "truths" from such versions such as Adam and Eve and that our planet was the center of the universe tumbled, many lost their faith in what is written in the scriptures entirely, and all else related to spirituality and spiritual issues went with it. With the advent of the discovery of at least a "possible truth" regarding reincarnation, many do not know what to make of it as yet.

Tanguerra, I would suggest recommending to those you have talked to who do not believe in reincarnation to visit the Forum. I am quite sure that, if they did, they would begin to have reason to reconsider...

12. Deborah

An interesting quote from one of the founders of Existential Psychology

13. Deborah

14. Alexnovo

Alexnovo Senior Registered

Hi Deborah, Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention. The article is fascinating and I strongly urge everyone to read it. It is an extremely balanced look at the evidence for reincarnation and a great one stop summary of much of what is out there, including the skeptics. I was particularly intrigued by the discussion of Helen Wambach's statistical analysis of past life regression.

While, I personally believe in the validity of adult past life regressions, I had always thought that from a scientific point of view they were hard to use as proof for reincarnation. This has changed my views in that regard. I understand that a skeptic can easily dismiss any one regression as being a false memory (and in most cases, there is no way to prove that it is not). However, the type of statistical analysis done by Wambach is the type of evidence that sciences such as psychology use every day. This experiment is also repeatable. The article says that her experiment has not been repeated. I have a question that perhaps you or someone else can answer. Is it that no one has tried to repeat the experiment, or is it that, despite trying, no one has gotten the same results?

15. Deborah

You're welcome Alexnovo,

I enjoyed the read too. You'll have to check out the video made in the 1970's that I posted in the science section. There is an interview with Wambach. Very interesting.

I think somewhere in the early 1990's - the focus for many regressionists changed from proof - to healing.

16. Deborah

I thought perhaps new members might enjoy this thread and the links and references within it. :D

17. Marc Ross

Marc Ross Senior Registered

Postmodern viewpoints on reincarnation

Bumping-up discussion. Can it be said that postmodern viewpoints on reincarnation "hits the nail right on the head?"

EXCERPT from Carter Phipps article: Reincarnation may be a premodern belief but for some it has become a postmodern obsession. And the contemporary evidence being gathered in support of this ancient notion is making a powerful case that may forever change the way we think about what happens after our corporeal form kicks the bucket...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2016
  18. Marc Ross

Marc Ross Senior Registered

Postmodern viewpoints on reincarnation.

Bumping-up discussion. Can it be said that postmodern viewpoints on reincarnation "hit the nail on the head?"

POST #8 'Carter-Phipps' article:

EXCERPT from Carter Phipps article: Reincarnation may be a premodern belief but for some it has become a postmodern obsession. And the contemporary evidence being gathered in support of this ancient notion is making a powerful case that may forever change the way we think about what happens after our corporeal form kicks the bucket...

Thank-you