Difficulties of finding a job.

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by RedSunshine, Apr 7, 2021.

1. RedSunshine

RedSunshine Senior Member

Today is the worst day to find a well-paid job. There's a lot of jobless people right there and I am one of them. But I still have a sideline job so I can still earn money for a living. How about you? Do you have any difficulties in finding a job?.

There and back again likes this.
  2. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

I gave up on having a proper career as I am not a high performing extrovert being an old world introvert and not cut from the same block in a lot of other ways so r.i.p. Covid really did a lot towards pushing people out of stable employment regardless of skill and income levels coupled with ongoing shifts in how the wage plantations are managed though personally I would be pretty happy to work from home due to the usual savings by not commuting. What worries me is that things are not going to return to what they were and there is only going to be more pressure both towards gaining some form of meaningful employment as well keeping said employment should the economy go for another dive. I am pretty done with jumping through all the bs when it comes to blue collar work.

3. GalaxyDreamer90

GalaxyDreamer90 Senior Member

Until I got the job I have today I had a very hard time finding a job because others think I'm mental. Although I'm kind of glad to finally have a job it is not my dream job of being a freelance artist.

4. RedSunshine

Blue collar job is really indeed tiring especially these days. Work from home is the best option because instead of going outside, you only need to do open your PC/Laptop and do some online works.

There and back again likes this.
  5. Speedwell

Speedwell Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Though there is a danger in working from home, that there is no respite, no refuge, we are always in our workplace. The act of travelling to and from a place of work allows a sense of separation between work and our own time, which is good for our mental health.

helz_belz and fireflydancing like this.
  6. Blazealiste

Blazealiste Senior Member

There is a lot of work you can now find online, I'm curious as to what kind of sideline are you working for, because you may be able to apply that skill for an online job. Best of luck to you.

7. There and back again

Not for me, I gotten into a wreck two years ago on my way to work and have to say that not everyone likes to commute. I just wish that it wasn't majority vote as to how the human experience is supposed to be and little issues like this make me angry sometimes.

Speedwell likes this.
  8. Speedwell

Speedwell Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

You're right, that people's individual needs or preferences often get lost amid some pattern which is considered the norm.

For myself, I've always been concerned with work-life-balance. When I'm at work, my employer is entitled to expect my energies are focussed upon work. But I think it is every bit as important that when not at work, I am able to devote myself fully to whatever outside interests I may have. During my working life I've seen working hours get longer, annual holiday entitlement be reduced and expectations such as overtime working or other demands on free time such as mobile phone availability increase. Overall, a shift in power away from the individual and towards large powerful business or institutions.

Certainly, not having to commute for many people would remove many hours of 'wasted' time, this depends on circumstances, but I have known of people whose entire free time is taken with commuting, meaning they just work and sleep. At the same time, I think working remotely is a new change in our working patterns, and we need to watch out for unexpected consequences. One is the blurring of work-life-boundaries. Another, entire categories of work which can be done remotely may suddenly shift to lower-paid workers in other countries, leading to skilled workers having no job to go to at all.

9. There and back again

That wasted time often amounts to a few hundred bucks a month in some instances and when trapped in wage slavery that being pay check to pay check that could be the difference between being able to afford groceries for the month. Honestly a part of me wishes these system would just collapse already seeing that it has been unsustainable for a couple of decades and the other part just hates being trapped regardless. As for not keeping boundaries one shouldn't need a commute to set that but then again a lot of the wage plantations have devolved into what is increasingly known as corporate cringe.

10. Susie C

Susie C It’s Me, Susie

I have been very lucky during the pandemic because I have been working from home since 2018. I, however, am a notary as well and have put that on hold during the pandemic.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  11. RedSunshine

Nice, keep up the good work, and always take care of your health. Pandemic sure brings difficulties on our lives but still we will get through no matter how hard it is, we will survive!

Susie C likes this.