• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Difficulty with meditating

melon04

My question not only involves past life regression but just meditation in general. However, I will only focus on the past life regression in this thread.

I have a hard time concentrating during meditation. It's very difficult for me because my mind constantly wanders. In fact, that one specific meditation I've tried was the only successful past life meditation I've done as of this time. I've tried before and failed, and unfortunately couldn't do it again despite trying again after.

And even during the successful regression, I actually had a hard time finding a comfortable position and I even opened my eyes a few times. This was the primary reason why I initially worried that I messed up something during the regression.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should do? (Just for note: I'm autistic and have ADHD so I feel like that is the main cause of this problem. Which I can't do anything about it because I was born like this and they are essentially part of me.)

melon04

Hi Melon,

Have you tried Active Meditation? It might be a more useful technique for an active mind, as it gives it something to do instead of just trying to make it be still

http://www.reincarnationforum.com/threads/active-meditation.1172/
Interesting. I've never heard of this before. I still don't fully understand what it means though, but now that I thought about it I wonder if the meditation I did was actually a form of active meditation because it had me actively imagine scenarios. I think that was why I was able to do it (but also it's the only video I've ever done so far).

Ironically, there are other people who aren't as good with visualizing things and therefore have much difficulty with meditations like that.

cloud potato

Senior Registered
My reply is to the more generic interest in meditation instead of a video or a guided regression...

You don't need to adhere to traditional disciplines to enter a meditative state. You can enter into these states "in-between" regular, every day moments. Like washing the dishes, walking in nature or even driving down a scenic road. Your eyes do not have to be closed either. I know yogi's who meditate with eyes open. My first OBE was laying on my back and looking up at the clouds meaning, eyes opened. I actually find exercising sometimes put me into a sublime state of receptivity and quietude. Like my higher self starts chiming in, like poetic lessons that I wish I'd written down because it seems to come from an intelligent source.

If concentration or focus is an endgame you can direct you awareness- if you don't wish to visualize you can place your attention on something physical like the breath with the combination of staring at glowing embers or lines on a wall. When concentration slips, enjoy the ride- the moment awareness comes that you've drifted too far bring your attention back to an anchor point(usually the breath). You don't have to fret during any of this, you may wonder why your mind started thinking about something- you may find it is a mechanical response when shifting brainwaves. You may also find it is something you are wanting to work through... Like thinking about estranged relationships.

Notice, observe whatever it is... And as the captain of your ship, choose how to navigate those waters... Do you decide to cut the vine of thought? Do you spend time fantasizing about future scenarios? Do lines on the wall speak images or symbols from hidden aspects of your subconscious? Do you talk to your self? Are you being gentle with your self or angry?

And then... The best part of meditation sometimes happens sporadically, after habitual practice of *slowing down.*

As if by random, I've had spontaneous moments where I've existed *outside my self.* I was free from the preoccupation of the mind and the breath was like a massage on my lobe, my peripherals felt widened and I felt a type of connection with everything around me. I felt free from my self. But I felt wholly part of the moment, like in a perfect state of existence. The state does not happen because I've demanded it. It just happens. Sometimes during, "meditation" sometimes not. Sometimes visuals, sometimes words, sometimes feelings. It's most always a joyous sensation.

I don't practice meditation to have no thoughts... I practice meditation to take time in stillness... To soothe my blood pressure, to calm my heart and mind, to think about whatever it is I need to think about- to practice concentration- to slow thoughts. It is not impossible to experience a thoughtless state, but it is quite difficult. But if you can practice holding onto a single thought with a complete inhale and exhale- you have quite an ability! That is the mark of spiritual evolution. Make your intentions clear, don't worry about what happens during the practice so much... It is *practice* after all and the long-term benefits of practicing stillness will become apparent over time.

Enjoy being barefoot in the grass free from a computer or cellphone. Enjoy the air and the sun, the tree in your backyard(if you have one)... Or maybe your backyard is a local park. Enjoy the experience of the breath as you draw it in and feel it spread through your body... Exhale with a sense of wonder and curiosity, observe what you feel with each breath....

I think physical movement actually helps me when it's time to be still. Like practicing yoga... Hmm...

Just some thoughts.
Cheers~! = )
CP

fireflydancing

just a fly in the sky
Staff member
Super Moderator
Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should do? (Just for note: I'm autistic and have ADHD so I feel like that is the main cause of this problem. Which I can't do anything about it because I was born like this and they are essentially part of me.)
Recently, I advised my nephew to do some sports first and to try meditation afterward. It worked for him, the first meditation of his entire life.

edit: I also advised him to concentrate on his breathing and not to worry about postures. 4-6 works good for me and so did for my nephew: 4 seconds inhaling and 6 seconds breathing out

melon04

Recently, I advised my nephew to do some sports first and to try meditation afterward. It worked for him, the first meditation of his entire life.

edit: I also advised him to concentrate on his breathing and not to worry about postures. 4-6 works good for me and so did for my nephew: 4 seconds inhaling and 6 seconds breathing out
Okay thanks. That was really helpful!

Eva1942

A Walking Enigma...
And even during the successful regression, I actually had a hard time finding a comfortable position and I even opened my eyes a few times. This was the primary reason why I initially worried that I messed up something during the regression.

Autistics and ADHDer’s are reported to have ‘most of themselves’ in the higher dimensions, hence why this specific ‘label’ (which I prefer to call myself ‘Neurodivergent’). We spend half our time ‘across the veil’ in Spirit and half our time ‘in the physical world’ and most souls with Autism/ADHD have difficulty being here with the weight that the physical world ‘needs’. This has always been my ‘problem’ with being here with weight, although, I’ve learned to regulate myself between worlds quite easily.

As someone who is also ‘Neurodivergent’, meditation was not easy for me and I find meditation is and was quite simply a waste of time. I find things that trigger memories to surface and ‘unfold’ is quite simply, by just focusing on a photograph, a piece of writing about said era or watching a video. Those seem to produce the best results for me for past life healing.

Another one for me personally, is because I’m so curious, I often go and ‘talk with my guides’ who can ‘go there’ with me and alternate the observation points in the regression depending on how strong I feel to face said memories.

Maybe try some of these methods?

Eva x

John Tat

Senior Registered
IMO there is only one way to have a successful meditation.. You MUST connect to your your spiritual self/soul first.. When you do that you will have none of the problems talked about in this tread and all of the others I have seen talked about over the years

The way I connect with my pure spiritual self is... I lie in bed and close my eyes and relax as best as I can. I then ask my pure spiritual self to show me faces... It may take a minute or two for what I call the "photo parade" to begin .. I may need to see a dozen or more image's before I have a proper connection to my pure spiritual self.. This connection is always very strong because I know I'm being shown faces from previous incarnations of my pure spiritual self.. and the images can only be coming from him. ... that is the connection you MUST have You must know that what you are seeing can only come from your/spiritual self and that you are now connected to your soul/ spiritual self.. When you do that it's not hard at all to remain in that state and you then move on to what you want tp accomplish.... time does not exist when you are in this state...feeling like it was a couple of minutes has turned out to be an hour or two or more... other times the reverse what I thought was an hour or two was a couple of minutes

fireflydancing

just a fly in the sky
Staff member
Super Moderator
Meditation is all about changing your brain waves. This might be an extra challenge for people with ad(h)d, but not entirely impossible. The most important thing is not to have unrealistic expectations or an over-romanticized picture of being able to meditate. I know someone who is proud that he used to meditate for days in a row or something like that. Meanwhile, he has a very unpleasant character.
People with ad(h)d may have difficulties sitting still without moving or shutting down all the voices and thoughts in their heads. I would say: just be proud to meditate for two minutes only. Two minutes of real silence and stillness are extremely powerful to experience for someone with ad(h)d.

Another tip for anyone with ad(h)d: try Yin Yoga. There is no competition element in this type of yoga (like who is doing best in the most difficult postures in class). The point is to maintain a certain (dull) posture for several minutes and then change to another not spectacular posture. In the beginning, it's like hell for an ad(h)d person but later on, it turns into heaven (ok, will take quite some lessons to reach this but you can practice this at home too).

Klaud

The trick to meditation isn't to think of nothing, but to let your thoughts pass. In one ear and out the other, so to speak. Don't elaborate or expand on them, just let them go. It takes some practice, but it's definitely doable.

Going off of what fireflydancing said, even just two minutes can make a difference. You can build your way up from there.

If you need to focus on something, focus on your breathing.

Carole Louie

Carole Louie
My question not only involves past life regression but just meditation in general. However, I will only focus on the past life regression in this thread.

I have a hard time concentrating during meditation. It's very difficult for me because my mind constantly wanders. In fact, that one specific meditation I've tried was the only successful past life meditation I've done as of this time. I've tried before and failed, and unfortunately couldn't do it again despite trying again after.

Do you know about brain mapping and Neurofeedback? I understand that it is successful in helping people who are autistic and/or ADHD to shift their state of consciousness.

Rod Turner

I do things a little different. I have a sleep mask with Bluetooth speakers that I use at night for sleep meditation. I make my own affirmations, using NLP techniques, and just listen as I go to sleep. Takes a bit but you will get used to it. This has worked very well for me in dealing with PTSD and removing negative thoughts and emotions. I think the trick is to make and record your own guided meditations and establish a relationship with your unconscious mind. You will see results in your dreams.