Do animals reincarnate?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by TLD, May 31, 2010.

1. TLD

TLD New Member

Hi all! So I am an animal lover, first off. Here is the reason I am asking your thoughts on this. The first dog I had that was really mine was a doberman named Hunter...she was a very smart dog, devoted to me and my family but not too inclined to like others. I had an opportunity to work overseas for a year so I left her in my parents care and off I went. She was only 7 so I was sure we had many years together. About half way through my year she was diagnised with cancer and died the month before I returned. My next dog was a rescue and a wonderful companion. After he passed away I got a rhodesian ridgeback puppy I named Summer. Poor dog, I got her during the worst period of my life and she was a tremendous comfort to me. Ever since she was young I've always thought she was Hunter come back to me, she was even diagnosed with cancer the first week I got her, she is now almost 6 and despite numerous tests the puppy incident was never resolved or understood. One day I was at the park with a friend, and all o a sudden she called Summer Hunter instead. I was so startled I asked her what she had called her. She was like, that's strange I have no idea why I called her Hunter. I told her about my old dog and we agreed it was very strange.

So the question is, what do you think about the souls of animals. To me they are almost like my guardian angels, I have never not had at least one animal in my life.

Thoughts?

2. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi TLD :)

Although I've lost a few pets in my lifetime, I don't think I could go through the heartbreak of losing any more, so I've never experienced what I would believe to be a pet reincarnating and coming back to me. Maybe this topic will give me reason to think again :)

However, I believe that every living creature has a soul, and I believe that every soul is on an eternal journey, so it wouldn't make sense to me if only human beings reincarnated.

You might enjoy reading this thread: Past Life Pets ???

3. alisarose

alisarose New Member

i too am an animal lover, i have a shitzu called toby, in fact my son that passed was thomas dwight toby so that wen toby died hes 8 his memory would live on in my son, we didnt think thomas would be gone first.

i do believe animals reincarnate as i agree every living thing has energy - thats what makes the differnce between a shell which is what the dead body is and a living body. so energy or the spirit doesnt die only move so therefore their spirit is no different.

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Cesar Millan is always trying to convince dog owners that they should not treat their pets like humans, and that animals live in the "now". However, I am personally convinced that animals can exhibit many of the same emotions and thought processes as humans. They show appreciation for little favors, and disgust when we do stupid things. They can exhibit a clear sense of humor, and can "show-off" to get our attention. They know the difference between right and wrong, and like to share their toys with people they love. They can sense indifference, fear, hate and love; and can exhibit such courage as would put most humans to shame.

Sometimes, I feel we don't give some animals enough credit for sharing human-like traits; and I feel that it would be unfair for our creator not to give them souls like our own. By the same token, I would expect them, as some of our favorite friends, to come back into our lives at one time or another. However, I have not yet had the joy of being reunited with my seventeen year old friend, Scotty, who I buried with my tears, when I was just sixteen.

-Nightrain

5. TLD

TLD New Member

Alisarose, so sorry for your loss:-( I can't imagine why we would reicarnate and animals would not.

Chris, I checked out the past lives pets thread which was interesting...I have yet to have a clear past life recall and would find it cool if I could see any of my current companions in a past life. It would not surprise me.

6. kemetic18

kemetic18 Senior Registered

I completely believe animals can reincarnate. If we can, why not them too? :thumbsup:

I currently have 9 dogs and the depth of their emotions is amazing. I've had people tell me dogs don't have souls and I say if you feel that way then you obviously don't have a dog.

Anyway, I believe that a dog I owned years ago in this lifetime was also a dog I had in a past lifetime during the Civil War. The reason I feel this way is I had a dream about that lifetime and saw the dog I owned then walking around with an image of my current dog superimposed over it. It was weird but oddly gave me a bit of comfort when she passed away 5 years ago. I saw her once before and hopely I'll see her again.

7. kmatjhwy

kmatjhwy Senior Member

Now I am also a believer that animals can reincarnate. Also I am NOT a believer in what I call Human Species Egotism in that of how many believe we are the ones at the pinnacle of creation with only us humans having souls, having emotions, having the abilities to think and reason, etc. Do think like the old Native Americans believe that all life and all species are equal. I myself personally do not have a pet.

For years now I have lived in the deep wilderness with the Grizzlies, Wolves, Elk, Moose, Eagles, etc. and how many times I feel like I am the student and they are the teachers. I am always so awestruck by the intelligent I see in many a different animal species. In one close encounter several years ago with a Grizzly, we both stared into each others eyes with only like 75 feet between us. Afterwards the Grizzly and myself went our respectful ways in peace. Since then I have seriously doubted if we are even really the most intelligent species on this planet. When I looked into that Grizzly's eyes, it was such a Profound Experience beyond words that I can express and I could sense such a deep and profound intelligence for starters. I could go on and on in what I have observed with many a different species large or small and again am always just so awestruck in what I see and experience in living with the other life we Two Legged Humans share this planet with.

I have no doubt that many a different animal species also undegoes reincarnation. Again I do very seriously think that they can reason and think like we do, have emotions, etc. In how many times in the wilds by my lonesome, these other species might not talk in a human language with you but sure can provide some good companionship.

Also will end with this that normally lately I just happen to keep my mouth shut on this topic for do think that many might not be able to handle such information. Just my personally opinion and Wishing Everyone the Best!

8. Aussie

Aussie Katherine

Melody/Mercedes

We had a lovely grey and white tabby cat with green eyes named Melody, who was with us for fourteen years. She was a wonderful little girl who loved her daddy very, very much. She had lots of idiosyncracies such as: (I'm listing these for a reason, please bear with me.)

sticking her tongue out at you when she got disciplined

having a certain attachment to the end window in a series of four in my kitchen

getting her claws stuck on a regular basis cos she's not terribly cooridinated

purring so loud she sounds like a diesel engine

growling, getting SEVERELY angry and shredding anyone who plays with the long hair on the bottom of her two hind feet

getting attached to my purses and tote bags and taking them over to use as her cat bed

curling up underneath my husband's neck, wrapping herself up in his beard like a burrito, and finding the nearest tuft of beard hair and sucking on it as if for comfort

standing IN YOUR FACE as if she can't be close enough to those she loves

playing very, very rough and enjoying it immensely

shaking her butt back and forth when she's about to pounce

TRILLING very loudly and very, very musically. This is why she was called Melody.

When she got mad because her litter box wasn't clean enough to her liking, she'd do her business under our bed to teach us a lesson. (It worked!)

She died a year and a half ago. A couple of months ago, my friend Simone found a tiny kitten, and her husband put his foot down and wouldn't let her keep it. She gave it to me. She is a white and grey tabby with green eyes. Every single thing, and a few I can't recall at the moment are exactly the same daily behaviours Mercedes exhibits. We called her Mercedes cos she sounds like my husbands old Mercedes when she purrs. She looks like Melody and behaves and sounds like her, too. Melody was my husband's baby girl, and now Mercedes is, too.

9. Nightrain

Hi Aussie!

Your experience with the kitten is really amazing, and it sounds like you might have another 14 years with the same tabby. There seem to be reasons for everything, and the comfort you gain by having her back is wonderful gift.

10. kittenmommy

kittenmommy New Member

Animals are a lot smarter and moe aware than we think. I'm sure of it.

11. kstornado11

kstornado11 Senior Registered

I totally agree,Nightrain!

12. kstornado11

kstornado11 Senior Registered

I love it -- "Human Species Egotism"! I was just thinking the same thing! :D

I also believe the Native Americans & etc are on to something in their beliefs about animals, & even trees,rocks,etc..... I think so many humans are so far removed from nature, that they just cannot comprehend what some can see & feel as the most natural thing in the world. I read a book years ago called "the Hidden Life of Plants", or something along those lines, that really opened my eyes, & now I think I owe my 2 Green Thumbs to the realization that ALL life is ....well, ALIVE!!

I often wonder if my Labradoodle,Doodle, or my toy poodle,JoJo might have been my beloved first dog, Little Lily, as Both of them are SO much like him. Might just be a breed trait thing, but WOW, they are SO much like that awesome little dog that it's eerie at times!

13. Charles Stuart

Charles Stuart Probationary

And therefore hold a form of consciousness... To me, the "Soul" is what we refer to as an "Individual Consciousness", so therefore ALL things reincarnate and evolve, including animals and even plants!

It does not seem conceivable that, once we have reached the level of consciousness that we hold as humans, we might reincarnate in animal form, but quite certainly there is nothing to say that a plant-consciousness might not evolve to animal-consciousness, and animal-consciousness to human-consciousness. If evolution seems to be a law of the universe, why would the Soul-Consciousness not evolve also? :thumbsup:

14. Nightrain

A recent article on News.Discover.com has said that animals are "likely" to have spiritual experiences, because, "Research suggests that spiritual experiences originate deep within primitive areas of the human brain -- areas shared by other animals with brain structures like our own."

15. Lawyer Daggett

Lawyer Daggett New Member

I would love dogs to be able to reincarnate, or for me to at least be able to meet up with some old canine partners when I eventually pass on- even if it is just for the period before I wind back on earth.

I guess the logical response is reincarnation or transmigration of soles is that it is illogical that it would only occur to just **** sapiens.

The difficulty is that because they cannot talk we can source no evidence to support it, whereas is (I would submit scientific) evidence that human reincarnation occurs.

16. stardis

stardis Senior Registered

That is my idea of "heaven", to roam the natural world with my dog and cat at my side again. Just us and no one else - I would like that to be my last earthly thought.

17. Nightrain

Whenever you encounter anyone who doesn't believe that animals have a soul, send them a link to this video. I can't stop playing it.

:laugh:

18. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

I'm pretty sure that animals can reincarnate because I'm sure they have souls. The only ghost I've ever seen in this lifetime was the ghost of Rocky, our family's very human-acting pet beagle. About a year after he died I visited my parents for the holidays and during the night I got up to get a snack and heard the jingle of his collar. Out of the corner of my eye I saw his apparition retreat behind a chair by the window (one of his favorite places to chill out). I mentioned this to my mom (who loved him like a baby) and she confirmed she'd seen his ghost in the house -- she also believes he has sent her messages of comfort through beautiful synchronicities (a dove flying to the window when she cried for him, etc).:angel: