Exploring the connection between the soul and physical body

Discussion in 'SCIENTIFIC and ANECDOTAL research' started by Kristopher, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

In a lot of studies conducted by Dr Ian Stevenson, many people who incarnate outside of a family group tend to keep the same facial looks. Now, considering that a humans looks are basically the outcome of what their parents look like, how could this be possibly explained? If this was the case all the time, then we would have families who look nothing like each other, right? Unless, of course, the soul is incarnating back into the same family, and will obviously look similar. Maybe that shows most souls do incarnate into the same family? If we come back resembling our old self, does that not show that the soul probably has more power over altering their own body than most people might think?

2. Ghost of Gumby

Ghost of Gumby Hi, Friends : )

I don't know if this is true, and for me I know that I looked very different in my various past lives. I think that everyone else has changed too in their outward appearance, but their behaviors may have not. I just don't see how it would be possible to maintain the same appearance from one incarnation to the next, unless one were reborn immediatly within the same family. But even siblings can look very different, so it is not likely that one would have the same appearance as they had previously.

3. LifePurpose

LifePurpose New Member

I have no real evidence to base my opinion, except my own inner hunch: I think more often than not, there is a lower rate of similarity in appearance between a person's past life incarnations. That said, i wouldn't rule the possibility out, as i also believe that past life injuries CAN present as present life birthmarks.

FYI - I don't have any birthmarks, nor do i know with any degree of certainty who i was in my past life incarnations.

4. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

I agree with Gumby, I have looked very different in every single past life I remember, though emotions/thoughts are still similar in certain areas. Not saying that someone couldn't resemble a previous life, I'm sure it happens. But if you think about it, when we reincarnate we can change race, culture & what continent we are born on.

I agree with this as well, birthmarks and scars can be related. For me, I remember dying of several different wounds depending on that life, but have very few marks that could relate. BUT, sometimes coming out of deep sleep I occasionally have felt pain in the same locations that I remember being wounded. It very rarely happens, and often coincides with a past life dream about that particular life. Basically I believe that even if the wounds don't carry over physically as scars, they can still carry over, be it in your emotional/energy field.

5. Delonada

Delonada Senior Registered

You must remember that Ian Stevenson's subjects usually were the victims of a traumatic death(most subjects shared the same M.O. when it came to dying). That in itself implies that his subjects were only a certain subset of reincarnated individuals.

6. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I think that you project an expectation or familiarity which in turn is influenced by genetics. Considering my extended family, I can see many of the same characteristics between them and their previous lives as well as them and their family now.

I think it may be a large part of the "psychology" of it all that we remember on a level how we look and we have that same expectation in this life and that may provide a large measure of comfort and be beneficial towards mental health.

However both the expectation and genetics can alter physical appearance through time and that may induce a gradual shift which goes relatively unnoticed across time by the soul.

For instance my wife looks much like her past self in her later years, right down to the same choice in hairstyle. But she has little resemblance to herself as she was younger.

For me, I had a bit of conscious overlap between this life and the last and some of my physical features just felt alien to me. I didn't know it at the time but I was recalling them from my previous life and it resulted in confusion. It's initially what sent me on my quest and the first place I started was genealogy and I spent a good bit of time trying to track down photos of people from Europe, trying to match some of the features on my face. And eventually, I came to reincarnation and have been lucky enough to find quite a few photos of myself and the mystery of the features had been solved and I no longer feel weird about them at all. That's actually been a huge, huge relief for me.

7. Mel

Mel Registered User

How was it that most of his subjects died?

But haven't hairstyles varied considerably over different time periods and regions of the world?

8. Delonada

Delonada Senior Registered

Many of the kids remembered dying in accidents or being murdered, usually rather gruesome. This pattern was rather strong in his cases.

9. Totoro

Yes and no. I think it depends on a variety of factors (much like clothing and other things). You have to consider how much time has passed since the last incarnation along with how culture specific that person was living.

So it's possible for someone to live in a more modern aspect of their culture and if they reincarnate relatively quickly, their preferences for things may go unnoticed. But if someone was to show a preference for something a bit more unconventional most people would chalk it up to eccentricity, creativity etc.

My wife though has a very simple chin length hair cut that's parted on the left. That's something that would be considered acceptable across a number of cultures and time periods. She also in fact had a bit of over lap with her past self, so we're not talking a great deal of time either.

10. Mel

Mel Registered User

I didn't understand that last part. Do you mean that her present life began before her past life ended?

11. Totoro

Yes, she was born in '81 and her previous life died in '97. Her previous life was born the 1910's.

There is a discussion going on about that actually in the thread below. I've got a few cases studies and some links along with some explanations if you'd like to read more about it :)

12. Mel

Mel Registered User

Ok. I've had a set of strange experiences similar to that. Though I was never too confident that it was possible, and if it was possible perhaps not personally likely for me. If I was going to mix reincarnation with time travel, I wouldn't stop at just 10 years of time travel.

13. Totoro

I think though there exists a certain boundary that's simply due to energy and nature of the universe, even though huge leaps would ceartainly be fun. :laugh:

14. Mel

Mel Registered User

Hello Totoro,

I'd like to think that spiritual time travel is possible, it might explain some of my odd perceptions and inconsistent past. But for little apparent jumps backward like those your wife reports, maybe there is another explanation?

What if there are multiple earths running though the same simulation of history (more or less) except with some cosmic constant(s) being different in each? And for some reason the perceived dates in each are slightly off, one earth with calendars saying 1997 while at the same moment in time on another earth they are calling it 1981, etc?

Does she ever get the sense that this is not "really" 2012, like some of the forum members have reported?

15. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

I believe a soul entering a body can and does tend to affect aspects of the body's dna; through it's understanding of making the connection and the habitual manner in which it has done it before, it makes sense to me that the method used can result in constants that might result in similar physical appearances. With that said, I also think there are gene pool anomalies that cannot be overridden or result in consistent looks.

As for overlapping lifetimes, I am a fifty year old man in Florida and I have another incarnation of my soul, a 30 something year old woman who lives or lived in the northeast. I do not know her, but I may have found her...still working on that. She has resolved alot of our soul's karma in the early part of her lifetime, while I seem to be picking up the slack now.

Mel, in you post just above, you are describing alternative dimensions...that might need its own thread.

16. Totoro

I agree with you, I think it's both a projection (or expectation) and just genetics in this dimension. I think people get a false idea that they should be identical copies of their past lives an that tends to promote disbelief.

I actually had a good conversation with my wife last night about reincarnation. I was trying to help her with her current issues by describing her past life to her and I got into similarities between people and she actually sat up and said "you look like a Chinese girl?" :laugh: And I said yes all the basic parts are there, but still kinda different..

Anyway, according to my pet theory, would it make sense to you if I proposed that either you or her were past / future incarnations of each other?

Since you have so much awareness of her, I'd wager your the future incarnation.

I've always been wanting to get your input on that.

17. Mel

Mel Registered User

It shouldn't be so hard to find yourself, knowing basic things like name, age, and occupation. Private detectives do it all the time. But what if you were she on a different alternative earth?

18. usetawuz

I would not rule out any possibility, but in this case the circumstances might rule it out. The woman I believe may be her contacted me on an entirely unrelated matter...she was simply drawn to what I had written, and felt it strongly enough to make contact. This woman's profile (age, talents, occpation, experiences and physical location) all coincide with what I knew of the "simcarnation" (her term when I broached the topic with her!). I have not yet gotten a clear understanding of whether or not she is actually my simcarnate and I won't find out until I extricate myself from my current situation...at that point alot of things will become clear.

19. usetawuz

That name thing is the difficult part, age is a little easier, occupation being the easiest...what I really got the most of was less physical and more what she "is"...she is dark haired, she is physically small, she works in the hospitality industry, she had a rough childhood, she has suffered various kinds of abuse, she has found a way to be productive and positive despite what she has experienced...things like names and locations seem to only become clear when seen with other, more defining matters.

20. Mel

Mel Registered User

There is software used by law enforcement, but also available to the common person, which is the modern version of the eyewitness sketch. It lets you put together realistic faces.

Even without knowing a name to this other incarnation of you, which seems strange not even knowing a first name. If you can put together a face in computer-ready format, in this age of big brother government and intrusive web sites like Facebook, you can do widescale facial recognition searches.

Combined with other basic information, you'd have a chance of narrowing things down to just a few individuals. Though convincing authorities you weren't a stalker might be difficult, if they weren't already inclined to believe in simultaneous reincarnations.

Maybe you could just concentrate on leaving a telepathic spiritual message for your other self to meet you at a certain place at a certain time, then see if anyone meeting her general description shows up?

21. usetawuz

This is the only possibility that sounds appealing, but I may have already found her...or rather, she may have found me. I understand that it is not essential for us to meet in this lifetime, though, in our current and increasing ability of developing contact with other people through the internet and other media, the chances of actually meeting can only increase. If it is the woman I am in touch with, we will only be providing each other support and friendship which we do already...it would just be an interesting aside to an already good association...and she is not a twin-flame soulmate.