• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Famous People who believe in Reincarnation

deborah

Director Emerita
Staff member
Super Moderator
Henry Ford who built the first motor car in 1896 when he was 33 years old. In an interview, when he was 26 years old by the Hearst newspapers -- April of 1938 -- he was quoted to say:

When I was a young man, I, like so many others, was bewildered. I found myself asking the question, "What are we here for?" I found no answer. Without some answer to that question life is empty, useless. Then one day a friend handed me a book........That little book gave me the answer I was seeking. It changed my whole life. From emptiness and uselessness, it changed my outlook upon life to purpose and meaning. I believe that we are here now for a reason and will come back........Of this I am sure.......that we are here for a purpose. And that we go on. Mind and memory--they are eternal.
------------------
Love,
Deborah

Lifes experiences weave a tapestry of knowledge

There are countless great thinkers who have expressed a belief in reincarnation.Plato,Nietzsche,Goethe and Benjamin Franklin to name but a few.Mark Twain stated'I have been born more times than anyone except Krishna'while Voltaire observed that'it is no more surprising to be born once than to be born twice'.You can find many others at the following site.
http://www.healpastlives.com/pastlf/quote/qureincr.htm#BeBack

To all-

U.S. General George Patton believed he had many lives as a soldier, including in ancient Greece and on behalf of the Confederacy.

-Scott

Hi All

Just to add a little to the list off the top of my head with quotes I have laying around – bit of a mix ;)

”If the Doors of Perception were Cleansed, All the World Would be Seen as it is, Infinite.-- William Blake

"The conventional heaven with its angels perpetually singing etc. nearly drove me mad in my youth and made me an atheist for ten years. My opinion is that we shall be reincarnated.2-- David Lloyd George (British Prime Minister)

"I am not only a mystic. I am also the reincarnation of one of the greatest of all Spanish mystics St John of the Cross. I can remember vividly experiencing divine union, undergoing the dark night of the Soul ... I can remember the monastery and many of St John's fellow monks!"--Salvador Dali

Country music super star Willie Nelson, along with Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson recorded in 1985 what is probably the only country song about reincarnation. The Highwayman.

Willie Nelson says: "I got into Kahil Gibran (author of "The Prophet"), got really into Edgar Cayce and his son, Hugh Cayce - books that had real positive attitude."

And the consensus is..............

----A Gallup Poll was taken in 1981 and on it was asked the question -- "Do you believe in reincarnation -- that is, the rebirth of the soul in a new body after death or not?"

The query was addressed not just to religious people but the general United States adult population.

23 percent believed! This means in 1981 -- using the 1981 population figures of 166 million who are over 18 years old and over, -- there were - 38 million reincarnationists in the United States. That does not include an International count; not to mention that was 20 years ago!

Patrick Swayze has, more than once over the years, indicated that he believes. He describes his wife of 30 years as his soul-mate and thinks they have known eachother before.

He once told an interviewer that he had had recurring memories of dying as a warrior.

He was in the UK for several months last year and said in an interview: "Oh my God, London." "I love this city and feel as if I was, in a past life, an Englishman."

Angelcat :)

I think I remember that Henry David Thoreau and Nathaniel Hawthorne both believed in reincarnation. It's been a while since I've studied their works.

Speaking of more modern times... Richard Gere and Tina Turner are both Buddhist. I assume they both believe in reincarnation as a part of their religious beliefs.

Composers Jean Sibelius and Gustav Mahler believed in reincarnation.

"Millions of years ago in my earlier incarnation, I must have belonged to the group of swans or gooses, because I still feel togetherness with them."

Sibelius

I tried to translate that aforism from Finnish to English, heh.

Mahler's aforism is too hard for me, but he says that reincarnation gives purpose to life and that everything is evolving towards perfection and purity...

Here's a poem written by General George Patton on the subject:

Through the travail of the ages,

Midst the pomp and toil of war,

Have I fought and strove and perished

Countless times upon this star.

In the form of many people

In all panoplies of time

Have I seen the luring vision

Of the Victory Maid, sublime.

I have battled for fresh mammoth,

I have warred for pastures new,

I have listed to the whispers

When the race trek instinct grew.

I have known the call to battle

In each changeless changing shape

From the high souled voice of conscience

To the beastly lust for rape.

I have sinned and I have suffered,

Played the hero and the knave;

Fought for belly, shame, or country,

And for each have found a grave.

I cannot name my battles

For the visions are not clear,

Yet, I see the twisted faces

And I feel the rending spear.

Perhaps I stabbed our Savior

In His sacred helpless side.

Yet, I've called His name in blessing

When after times I died.

In the dimness of the shadows

Where we hairy heathens warred,

I can taste in thought the lifeblood;

We used teeth before the sword.

While in later clearer vision

I can sense the coppery sweat,

Feel the pikes grow wet and slippery

When our Phalanx, Cyrus met.

Hear the rattle of the harness

Where the Persian darts bounced clear,

See their chariots wheel in panic

From the Hoplite's leveled spear.

See the goal grow monthly longer,

Reaching for the walls of Tyre.

Hear the crash of tons of granite,

Smell the quenchless eastern fire.

Still more clearly as a Roman,

Can I see the Legion close,

As our third rank moved in forward

And the short sword found our foes.

Once again I feel the anguish

Of that blistering treeless plain

When the Parthian showered death bolts,

And our discipline was in vain.

I remember all the suffering

Of those arrows in my neck.

Yet, I stabbed a grinning savage

As I died upon my back.

Once again I smell the heat sparks

When my Flemish plate gave way

And the lance ripped through my entrails

As on Crecy's field I lay.

In the windless, blinding stillness

Of the glittering tropic sea

I can see the bubbles rising

Where we set the captives free.

Midst the spume of half a tempest

I have heard the bulwarks go

When the crashing, point blank round shot

Sent destruction to our foe.

I have fought with gun and cutlass

On the red and slippery deck

With all Hell aflame within me

And a rope around my neck.

And still later as a General

Have I galloped with Murat

When we laughed at death and numbers

Trusting in the Emperor's Star.

Till at last our star faded,

And we shouted to our doom

Where the sunken road of Ohein

Closed us in it's quivering gloom.

So but now with Tanks a'clatter

Have I waddled on the foe

Belching death at twenty paces,

By the star shell's ghastly glow.

So as through a glass, and darkly

The age long strife I see

Where I fought in many guises,

Many names, but always me.

And I see not in my blindness

What the objects were I wrought,

But as God rules o'er our bickerings

It was through His will I fought.

So forever in the future,

Shall I battle as of yore,

Dying to be born a fighter,

But to die again, once more.

Wow, Alicia Keys....

ANDREW-J said:
Nietzsche,...
Where did you get that idea? Nietzsche believed that we, as humans, are no more elaborated thinkers than for instance ants or dogs. We only think we are. And since "most" do not believe that ants and dogs reincarnate, nor do we. Neither is there a heaven or hell: all we have is our present-day life.

The only way out is a "new generation", believers in nothing but themselves, and dedicated to a goal of creating a better world in the here and now. For if we live in present times, we live our life to the fullest.

I don't see any reincarnation ideas in that one, sorry...

The word "Menschheitsdämmerung" speaks for itself; all people are doomed to die.

The guy freaks me out.

Peter V said:
Here's a poem written by General George Patton on the subject:
Through the travail of the ages,

Midst the pomp and toil of war,

Have I fought and strove and perished

Countless times upon this star.............
My, oh my! he does seem to have gotten himself locked into a long-running cycle of kill and be killed! :eek:

I doubt that all this has been God's will for him, as he suggests. Let us hope that in the future he chooses a more peaceful and creative path for himself :thumbsup:

I think what Andrew J may be referring to is Nietzsche's theory of 'eternal recurrence'. Not quite the same thing as a belief in reincarnation.

In view of how completely negative his thinking was, it is not surprising that Nietzsche eventually decended into mental illness.

Angelcat said:
My, oh my! he does seem to have gotten himself locked into a long-running cycle of kill and be killed! :eek:
I doubt that all this has been God's will for him, as he suggests. Let us hope that in the future he chooses a more peaceful and creative path for himself :thumbsup:

Dunno, I'm glad he was around in the 40s...

Its weird how and when he died too. A silly car accident at the end of the war. Its almost like "welp, I did my job, see ya later".

Angelcat said:
In view of how completely negative his thinking was, it is not surprising that Nietzsche eventually decended into mental illness.
Oh :-D I didn't know about that one. Thanks for reminding me ;-)

Yes Peter V he was an interesting man. Thank you for posting his poem. I've read it before. He was a haunting character, a pure warrior, as defined in his poem. I had the privilege once of spending a lot of time with his personal belongings in the Patton Museum at Ft. Knox.

Angelcat, I too find it interesting to think of his karmic path. But I somehow understand his place as a soldier thru time. In some strange way (it'd take more brain power than I have right now) I believe God knows His warriors...

Tinkerman

Here is a clue that Edgar Allan Poe believed...

... The recollections of my earliest years are connected with that chamber, and with its volumes - of which latter I will say no more. Here died my mother. Herein was I born. But it is mere idleness to say that I had not lived before - that the soul has no previous existence. You deny it? - let us not argue the matter. Convinced myself, I seek not to convince. There is, however, a remembrance of aerial forms - of spiritual and meaning eyes - of sounds, musical yet sad - a remembrance which will not be excluded; a memory like a shadow - vague, variable, indefinite, unsteady; and like a shadow, too, in the impossibility of my getting rid of it while the sunlight of my reason shall exist...
"Berenice" is a very morbid story! lol :D

I don't know if Miley Cyrus does or not, but one of her songs suggests it.

She says she feels like she knew a guy in another life, their connection was so deep...I don't know if that is admitting it or not, but it could be.

av&hilfan90 said:
I don't know if Miley Cyrus does or not, but one of her songs suggests it.
She says she feels like she knew a guy in another life, their connection was so deep...I don't know if that is admitting it or not, but it could be.
It's kind of a common reference to a deep connection to someone within pop music to say something along those lines, but it is possible that she does. Does she write her own songs? Does her dad believe, maybe he or her mom influenced her. Speaking of Miley, she's on my television right now, haha... :eek:

I had to put this one in... I have always liked the Hannah Montana show and never minded my kids watching it all day. I always liked Miley Cyrus as an actress/singer, and then she released the seven things song and I realized why...so young and so smart, in her song she sings, "I feel like I must've known you in another life," which implies she and her father must both believe in reincarnation, because he writes all of her songs with her! BTW I never was big on Billy Ray Cyrus myself.

LadyRayven, as soon as I was seeing Hannah and Billy Ray in the media so much, I saw how close they are. INCREDIBLY close. I always believed that they must incarnate lots together. And I'm sure they were married before. ;) I always wonder about people's pls together. Another one is Princess Diana. She was reading Brian Weiss's books right before she died, and called his office to speak with him. But, unfortunately she died right before he got back to her. With the shift of the consciousness of the world happening, and the actual shift of the planet's axis, I always think about people (celebrities included) and how they may be coming in to help the planet out as kids soon. I also wonder about Princess Diana and wonder if she'll incarnate as Will's child---or who knows where she'll go, if she comes back again! Anyway, I have read about other celebrities who believe in reincarnation, but I'll have to sit and think about who they were. :) I'm so tired! Busy week. Oh, another one is Oprah. She believes, too. I think she and Gayle King MUST'VE had tons of lives together. I'm sure they were married, too. LOL

How about Shirley Maclaine? Remember when her books were so controversial and she was called a "nut"? I had never read her books but yesterday when I was at the library I got 2 of her's: Out On A Limb and Dancing In the Light. Started Out On A Limb yesterday and finished half of it last night. Could not put it down. It is the reaccounting of her "discovery" of self awareness and reincarnation. I think I was thinking about her because I had just watched her new TV movie, Coco Chanel.

Richard Wagner (composed Bridal March aka "Here Comes the Bride") - "in contrast to reincarnation and karma, all other views seem petty and narrow"

and

my favorites Robert and Elizabeth Browning-- in Robert's poem Paracelsus he states:

At times I almost dream

I too have spent a life the sages' way,

And tread once more familiar paths. Perchance

I perished in an arrogant self-reliance

An age ago
; and in that act, a prayer

For one more chance went up so earnest, so

Instinct with better light let in by Death,

That life was blotted out -- not so completely

But scattered wrecks enough of it remain,

Dim memories; as now, when seems once more

The goal in sight again