Food for thought

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Looking Backwards, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Looking Backwards

Looking Backwards Senior Registered

I have expressed frustration in not having any definitive past life memories, and I have seen others here express the same frustration - that they believe in reincarnation, but have never had memories.

So here's something I thought about the other day - what if our beliefs are, in some cases at least, our memories?

Maybe we've always known, each life, that we were here before. Maybe upon our deaths we knew we'd be back. So what we remember is that notion that we've been here, and will be here again. That notion that loved ones may be back in our lives.

It's not exactly a memory in the sense that some people have them, but ever since I thought of that, I have felt slightly more satisfied. Of course part of me still wishes I knew more, but it's something.

Again, just some food for thought.

2. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Hi Lookingbackwards,

Interesting thoughts. Spiritual experiences whether they a NDE, OBE, Past life memory, non-local knowing etc....are not tangible ---- and open to interpretration; not to mention difficult to explain to others. Even when we try, the majic of the experience is somehow diminished by words. The reality of the experience fractures.

The miracle of birth takes our breath away, the sorrow of death brings grief and pain. Somewhere in-between we're searching for the answers. "The answer" to quote my fiance. Perhaps the answer is not the point, perhaps the questions we ask ---are. Perhaps through our differences we learn....unconditional love and that realization allows us to experience something larger than ourselves..

With Love and Light,

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

I'm interested in your point of view. Do you mean that the more we take Past Lives for granted (normal), the less we specifically remember from those past lives? It is interesting that our best evidence from others who remember their past lives seems to come from children who are so disoriented by the differences between their past and present lives. Or, am I off track here?

4. stardis

stardis Senior Registered

I agree with you 100% - the knowing is the gift that you brought back with you into this lifetime. I don't really think that remembering a past lifetime is the norm but is rather even abnormal in some respects. But the "knowing" or deep-seated belief that you have lived before is indicative of your journey toward enlightenment and personal soul growth. Just my thoughts but I really believe that.

5. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

I too agree with all of you, one wonders if something goes wrong between lifetimes when we are supposed to forget our memories from the previous life?

The commonly held belief is that we are immersed in the "Pool or River" (two of the names) and that we are born into a new life with no memories of the previous one.

Souls that somehow miss the "Pool or River" may very well explain a Child Prodigy, who almost pops out of the womb playing the piano (or other talents).

Folklore has it that a child born with a "veil" processes "second sight" and I also wonder if this holds true with PL recall (as a side note: I was born by C-Section and had a veil wrapped around my face), so one wonders?

Or your contention that "What if our beliefs are, in some cases at least, our memories?" may very well be true as it pertains to the reality of Reincarnation.

Just the musings and rambling of an old man! :)

6. Looking Backwards

Looking Backwards Senior Registered

I'm not talking about people who've already had memories. I'm taking about people who haven't, but they still believe, even if nothing in their life would have led them to come to such a conclusion - no religious influence, familial influence, just a nagging sense that "I've been here before."

For instance, I believed in it before anyone told me what it was. I asked when I started believing (at the age of four), and people told me what it was called, but nobody in my family ever exposed me to that notion. I just somehow always knew. I don't have any other clear memories - it's hard (for me) to distinguish a memory only I remember because it somehow stuck from a memory that didn't happen in this life, a strange dream from a regression in my sleep. But I know I always believed in it, probably because I remembered being here before - just not the details.

7. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I thought this might be a good topic t return to. I will this evening.

8. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Emeritus

Looking Backwards addresses my experience pretty much in that I have no memories of a previous life but,at about age 4, knew that my essence was separate from my body (not quite reincarnation though). There are unexplained "knowings", abilities, and fears that have no traceable beginnings that give rise to questions that reincarnation seems able to satisfy to some extent so that it makes that belief very acceptable.

For me personally, it took one experience of having my guide (or whoever it was) warn me verbally (from over my left shoulder, my ear with the most hearing loss) of an impending "accident" that led to my "knowing" that my remembered experience of some 74 years ago was real. But, and this is still a big BUT, none of my experiences show me a prior lifetime. So my Knowing stops just short of past lives which is somewhat frustrating for me.

I must have led a very common life in my prior incarnations as it seems that fears and suffering in prior lives are things that aid in recall. Hopefully I can keep from having that bad type of ending this time also. There is more than a bit of truth in the saying that "Pain is inevitable, Suffering is optional" - and I'm learning that the quote, attributed to Lao Tzu, "There is no illusion greater than fear" is also true.