• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Has anyone used old home videos?

Looking Backwards

Senior Registered
Has anyone used old home videos to see if, in your or someone else's early childhood, there were ever any clues about past life memories or strange behaviors or anything along those lines?

I've never really done it, but I've thought about it. I've never noticed anything offhand before that really struck me as noticeable, other than having the typical quirks little kids have. But I've never really looked. Has anyone else ever done that, and/or just randomly noticed things in family videos?

I was watching an old home movie once. It was Christmas or somebody's birthday and I was about a year or two years old. I was walking around in the background and right as I moved past the TV a picture of the person who I've considered I may have been flashed across the screen and was gone in about a second. I don't know if it was a news article or what, but that always freaked me out a bit.

Otherwise I've never really gotten past life hints from anything like that.

Looking Backwards said:
Has anyone used old home videos to see if, in your or someone else's early childhood, there were ever any clues about past life memories or strange behaviors or anything along those lines?
You are obviously not old enough to remember home movies. First it was 16mm film, then in the 1950's they came out with 8mm. Film was expensive and a roll only lasted a few minutes. The movie camera was only brought out on major occasions like Christmas and birthdays.

We also had home slide shows, where the transparency was put in a thing that looked like a carousel.

My family didn't get a camcorder until I was eleven or twelve years old, so I don't think it would be worthwhile for me to look for clues in those videos. It is an interesting idea, though. It might be fun to watch old videos and look for personality traits, mannerisms, etc., that might give clues about past lives.

We didn't have a video camera until I was in my teens, but I have a cassette tape of me singing a song, as a toddler, that only consisted of one line: "I old cowboy", which I repeated over and over! I had a toy guitar and I apparently just picked it up and spontaneously sang that one line and mimed the guitar, much to the amusement/astonishment of my parents.

Oddly enough I only thought about looking into this, from a PL perspective, a few months ago. I found a song called "I'm An Old Cowhand" from 1936. It's from a film called "Rhythm On The Range", which of course, I may have seen on TV as a tiny child, who knows. It certainly surprised my parents at the time though! I'd have been 36 when the film came out originally, so perhaps I saw it first time around, who knows! :laugh:

I know that song, Whippoorwill. My father used to sing it. I think maybe you saw the film in 1936. I don't know about Britain, but American TV isn't good about showing old films anymore. The song was popular, but I think the film has fallen into obscurity.

American "Baby Boomers" grew up watching the old western movies on TV in the 50's and 60's. Most older Americans probably know that song.

I'm glad you know the song BriarRose! I've listened to it on YouTube and that line certainly follows the tune I sang, although only that one line of course! Haha. We get the odd Western over here, but it always seems to be Broken Arrow! Strange if the film stayed with me for some reason, I'll have to find a copy!

I love Westerns and country music in general, Argonne, I think I was born in the wrong country. Over and over again! :laugh:

Old home videos as "bridges" to possible PLs

Hello,

Old home videos may also act as "bridges of sorts" leading to possible PL memories.

Viewing media content common back at the time of a person's childhood i.e., photographs, music, TV Shows, radio-shows, commercials, news events, etc. may also act as "bridges" leading to possible PL memories.

Whippoorwill said:
I love Westerns and country music in general, Argonne, I think I was born in the wrong country. Over and over again! :laugh:
Search YouTube for Gene Autry. He was known as the singing cowboy. Lots of Western movies in the 30's and 40's. He was replaced in the 40's by Roy Rogers. Autry went on to sing the hit Xmas song "Here Comes Santa Claus". Later he owned the California (aka Anaheim) Angels baseball team and a "Big Band era" radio station in Southern California. He died a few years ago in his 90's.

My daughter keeps telling me how bad she wants to see the new Great Gatsby. Of course it has to star Leonardo DiCaprio. I can't wait. :)

Back