Have You Ever Experienced Time Slow Down?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Lady2, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

Have You Ever Experienced Time Slow Down? In this life or a past life?

Though I don't fully understand how it's possible, I've experienced this twice - once in a past life, and once in my current life, both times I was in danger...

In one of my past lives, it was as if I could see time slowed down. The bullets this man was shooting at me from a close range became easier to avoid, because I saw everything in such slow motion, though I was thinking very quickly. Because of this I had time to react where I normally wouldn't have had time.

In my current life, just over 2 years ago, I was in a situation where my life was again in danger. My horse that I was riding went loco and was spinning and bucking out of control. Just before we went our separate ways, everything clicked into slow motion again. I was able to get my feet clear of the stirrups, keep my hands from tangling in the reins, decide which side to fall from and by thinking clearly, get off clean. Which saved my life - because my horse ran flat out the entire 2 miles home, and being drug would not have been a good thing...I must have a purpose! :angel:

But was time actually slowing down? Or was it just my perception of time?...

2. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Its a common reaction to stress or physical danger. People like martial artists or race car drivers and stuff frequently experience it. Having done martial arts my whole life, I'm pretty familiar with it and I've experienced it in car accidents as well.

They say it may be caused by cortisol, but I guess your brain switcheses to high gear to deal with a potentially life threatining situation.

3. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

Once, when I had smoked something green and funny...

Just kidding! I've had weird things happen with time, but not like you described that I can remember. I was doing graveshift security work and at midnight I saw the swingshift guard off, set up a small alarm clock to let me know when it was time to check some things, rooted through my backpack and found my book, then I leaned back and kicked my feet up to let the first hour of the evening go by. I had just shut my eyes for a moment. I hadn't taken a nap or anything, it was just sort of a "take a deep breath" type of relaxation technique. I immediately realized that I had forgotten the most important step of the evening; I hadn't started the coffee! I sat right back up and to my surprise the sun was sending its first beams into the window. Six hours had gone by in a flash!

I freaked. I made a very quick but very thorough patrol of the building. Fortunately everything was okay. To this day I have no idea what happened!

4. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm with Totoro on this one, for me it was(is) a reaction to danger or some high stress incident. It always seemed to help me make the right decisions under pressure... I went on auto pilot, like a machine, no fear, just step by step, slow motion reaction. The fear came after it was over and the shakes set in... that was when a cigerette came in handy!:eek:

Jim78 likes this.
  5. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

I agree with Tinkerman and Totoro on this also, one of my partners attributed it also to Adrenaline and the let down after the call.

We went from a pleasant slumber to full action and resolution to a gradual slowdown, back to normal in different amounts of time, depending on the call.

Time seemed to not exist or it changed, especially on a really serious call, say an auto collision with entrapment and unconscious patients with trauma alerts going by medevac.

When we could finally take a breath, and looked at the time, we were surprised at the amount of time that had passed with NO knowledge of it passing, we were so focused on the call at hand at the moment!

6. Totoro

I tend to think of the experience as your brain changing it's sampling rate of "time" that is to say, your perception of reality is determined by your brain taking a snapshot of your senses say, once every milisecond. Under stress, your brain increases that rate to say one thousand times every millisecond.

When that's happened to me, I'm usually shocked how little time has passed. Once I slid off of a road due to some severe standing water from a broken sprinkler. The ground at the side of the road was so saturated it was practically mud and I slid right through it into an electrical pole. Between leaving the road and hitting the pole, I must have done a half dozen things.

I first turned the wheels to the left and tried to accelerate out of the slide, I tried braking and then I pulled the hand brake.

After I had gotten out of the car and looked back on it, I realized I had only had about twenty seconds to do all that.

7. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

Interesting others have experienced this also, you all describe it so well!

Tinkerman that is exactly the reaction I had. I agree with you Totoro, that your brain is taking in the situation much faster then normal, and it seems like no time has passed at all. In both of my cases, it seemed like minutes had passed, when in reality it had only been a few seconds - not near enough time to do what I had.

It's a unique PL memory of mine, because I was so 'in the moment' even while re-experiencing it - like it was happening right now. So much so that I also remembered this state of slowed time/shock so clearly even though it happened in just a split second over 200 years ago. It took several days after the flashback for the strong emotions that had been re-surfaced to settle.

After my riding accident I was thinking about what had happened, and I realized I had experiencing that before.

8. Totoro

I agree too that you're on autopilot. But I think what happens afterwards, is actually shock: heavy breathing, nervousness, shaking etc.

To put this into a more spiritual or para realm, do you think it's possible that thorough some massive injection of energy you can actually control the flow of time around you? And that the shock afterwards is the recovery or after effects from the loss of energy?

It's interesting to think of it in the perspective, especially for someone that doesn't have the training to deal with intense situations, when you think about how much you accomplish (and so accurately!) in so little time.

9. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

Time slowing down, or being in the zone I think is more common than we may think...at least from a sports standpoint. A quarterback in football is under time constraints to communicate the play to his team, get everyone lined up, read the defense, either adjust or call the play and execute the play all the while going through his progression of options for getting the ball to his guys, all in constant motion dependent on his team's execution of the play, and the defense's execution of theirs. You know when time is slowing down for the qb when he is able to execute the play effectively and seemlessly. When the game moves in real time the qb sees a blur and is not effective. To some extent I think that a portion of time slowing down is based in the physical...familiarity and the learning of certain movements/actions by rote and immediate reaction to stimulus. I also have no doubt that another portion is one being in contact with other aspects of their senses not customarily used.

I have had a few experiences in which time sped up without explanation. How could I have driven with a friend three hundred miles in a period of an hour and a half? We left just after lunchtime at 12:45 with some friends, then drove the five hours to meet with other friends for dinner at 6:00...only it was 2:15 when we got there. We called the friends we had lunch with and asked what time we left...they confirmed 12:45...in fact one of them had a dr's appt. at 1:15 after our lunch which he made. The friends we were to have dinner with were still at work and asked if we had flown downstate instead of driving as planned. Our watches were all reading reasonably the same, and there was no time change involved. We simply made 300 miles in an hour and a half without driving 200 miles per hour. We still haven't figured that out.

Speedwell and Jim78 like this.
  10. Totoro

I had a very similar experience once where I lost about 5 hours. Somehow, I was at work one evening about halfway through my shift and it was just later than it should have been, at least in my perception. I had left class a few hours before and then suddenly it was 5 hours later.

I guess maybe time sped up in my case. I also drove across the state to daytona and back on a 1/4 tank of gas. I know because I filled up before I left and I was like OMG!!! When I had gotten back. That's a one tank trip.

11. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

When my Mother and Step-Father were still alive in the mid 80’s, I would travel to the North Florida area to visit them.

On several occasions, I had swapped time with a colleague to leave my shift early and go up there (a distance of about 200 miles).

Often I would be tired to begin with, so on several occasions, I seemed to enter a trance state where I could still drive, but I was in a state of light hypnosis.

The hypnosis it seems was brought about by the whine of the A/C, the drone of the tires and so forth, and I was alone and had no one to talk to and stay awake.

When I arrived at my destination, I had no recollection of the last part of that trip, yet here I was, safe and sound at my parents house.

The first time it happened, I freaked, wondering what had gone on during the trip?

12. Jim78

Jim78 Probationary

Hi all ( who are still here ).

I had time slow down once.

I was in the city in my mid twenties and, because my head was wrecked over a woman I loved, I forgot the Green Cross Code and absentmindedly crossed the street to our friends apartment.

Then my friend I was with shouted from the path "Jim!!" and I head the screeching of tyres. A car was heading right for me and was going too fast to break.

I saw the horrified look of the man driving it in slow motion and thought to myself "How am I going to get out of this?!"

Then I remembered, as a child, every Saturday watching a documentary programme about filmmaking on UTV. I loved it. One of the programmes was about how stuntmen take falls from oncoming cars. I remembered it instantaneously.

So, as time was slow, I had to wait for the car to get to me and at the exact right moment I jumped on the bonnet and did a roll off to my right side onto the path, completely uninjured when I should have been hospitalized or dead.

I got up, brushed myself off, knocked on the drivers window and he rolled it down. A baby was crying in the back.

I asked him "Are you alright? " Yeah" he replied.

Then I said "Is your baby alright?" "Yeah" he replied stunned. "Alright" I said "Enjoy your evening. See you later."

I realised later that he was stunned because as he was about to hit me he saw me, cool as a cucumber, thinking my way out of it. I was the one in complete control even though he was driving the 'death machine'.

My friend came across the road to me stunned and said "You were like an effing ninja!"

Then we went to a chippers for a burger, went up to our friends apartment we were visiting and I sat there coolly eating my Burger. After I finished it all the energy left me and I started rattling. I looked at them both and said "I nearly effing died!".

Funny though, its comforting to know I'm cool under pressure.

Speedwell likes this.
  13. Speedwell

Speedwell Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Wow Jim, that is a really cool thing to hear about. It's good to know people can have these abilities. It must have been strange for the onlookers to have seen that, and even better for you to have lived it.

Strangely enough, only yesterday I was reading of some sort of related event: Dean C FDE

14. Speedwell

Speedwell Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

As well as these waking experiences, I've reason to believe that during sleep we may exist outside of time as we know it. I don't just mean time slows down, but that we may also access the past, and to a limited degree, the future.

Sometimes during waking from a dream I've had some long series of events unfolding, a whole little story happening, and some sort of sound. Then on waking, I'll hear a sound outside, the same as heard in the dream. It needn't be a prolonged sound, just some short event like say a car door slamming or something (just as an example) yet in the dream there was time for a complex plot and storyline to evolve around that brief event.

Something related to that (though a bit different) is described on another forum.

Time - some personal experiences