Hearing other people's thoughts? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by luling, Jul 6, 2014.

1. luling

luling New Member

Got to thinking about this because of the very interesting empath thread ...

Sometimes I "hear" what people are thinking. It's their voice, but in my head, just as real as if they had expressed themselves verbally.

It doesn't happen all the time, and I don't deliberately try to "hear" people. It usually only happens if the thought is aimed at me, I guess because of the energy behind the thought.

You won't hurt my feelings if you call me crazy; I'm confident in my own sanity. ;) But here are a couple of examples:

One evening, I'm sitting in my house minding my own business, when I "heard" my neighbor's voice. The first couple of words weren't clear, but then I heard, "completely irresponsible!" I hadn't spoken to her in a couple of weeks, so I didn't know what it was about, just that it was aimed at me. The next day it got back to me that she incorrectly believed I had left my little girl alone in the house and had been sitting there brooding about what a horrible, irresponsible person I must be to do such a thing. (Neighbor is a little bit off, always jumping to weird, awful, wrong conclusions about people. I don't take it personally.)

Another time, I helped out with something at my son's school and donated some stuff. It was no big deal to me, but the teacher was really appreciative. When I left, she said thanks and then I "heard" her think " ... makes everything a thousand times easier." Later, she used that wording when she emailed me later, thanking me again.

My daughter and I hear each other's thoughts all the time. Once she said out of the blue, "stop thinking about my geometry grade. I'm going to ace the test Wednesday, okay?" I had just been sitting there calculating her grade in my head. I don't know if she always "hears" me or just knows what I'm thinking. Another thing -- when she's out, I usually get a text from her within a couple of minutes of thinking that she should text me and let me know what's going on.

So, is this more common than it seems? I'm guessing most people who experience this don't go around admitting it. I've always thought of this as a side effect of being an empath.

2. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

Sounds like an extreme form of telepathy. Has this been going on with your daughter from an early age?

3. shadowsofmypast

shadowsofmypast Senior Registered

Empaths have various abilties.

Some people are easier read than others.

It sometimes comes out very loud in my mind

other times nothing.

I watched Stephen Kings Rose Red today.

I just realize I have four of psychic characters abilties.

It's much easier to look into the past than future.

4. Sister Grey

Sister Grey Senior Registered

Not exactly like you, but it's happened the odd time that I knew what someone was going to say a moment or two before they said it. (I mean, I hear it exactly, like a loop in time.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  5. luling

luling New Member

Yes, the thing with my daughter has been going on for some time, but especially since she hit puberty. That's when her thoughts and feelings became more intense -- her mind became noisier. So I "hear" her a lot, although most of the time I just know what she's thinking. Not sure when she started to hear my brain. I really have to control my frustration with her, because she'll know exactly what I'm thinking and take it too personally. I don't know how vividly or loudly she "hears" me though. I think this is probably something that each person experiences in their own way. We do have a bit of fun with this when we're not driving each other batty. :)

It's true that some people are easier to read than others. One of my friends fires off his thoughts like arrows. Another friend has a quieter mind, making it difficult to even know what she's thinking unless she tells you.

6. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

This sort of ability used to be called having 'the second sight', also known by the French term - clairvoyance.

It's nothing new. It's been going on for thousands of years. Some cultures understand it better than ours, but, of course it's fallen out of favour in these 'rational' days in our 'enlightened' times and all that is considered superstition. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

It is supposed to run in families, so it's not so strange that both you and your daughter both have 'the gift'.

Second sight

7. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

I suspect I do sometimes, at the odd moment, out of the clear blue sky, I will hear the voice of someone nearby me.

And in times of danger and as a warning, I will hear a voice warning me of a serious danger soon.

Since I don't have "fillings" it's not my teeth and I don't always heed what the "voice" says to do, so I don't question my sanity.

I'm just very thankful to have all the help (from somewhere) that I can get!!!

It makes my life easy and may have saved my life a few times.

8. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Senior Registered

I have had it happen precisely once, so I do know what you mean. I heard a therapist that was treating me say a sentence as clear as if he had said it in actual fact iyswim immediately before he actually said it. But then I used to get very relaxed visiting that therapist (wrong to, as it turned out in hindsight he couldn't be trusted, but that's a totally different story......).

9. luling

luling New Member

Cool. I knew if I posted this, a lot of you guys would get it. This is the most open minded forum I've ever seen.

When I was little, I told my mom about this, and she freaked out. She said Satan was tricking me, and I needed to pray for forgiveness. I felt sorry for her (and simultaneously amused -- Mom is funny without even trying), but I did learn to just shut up about it. Don't want people thinking I'm either insane or headed for Satan's eternal hellfire. :rolleyes:

Oh, hydrolad -- I get the warning voice too. Maybe not often enough, because it doesn't seem to stop me from doing stupid things from time to time.

10. argonne1918

Since this can be inherited did your mom ever show signs of having this or other psychic abilities? Maybe she was repressing it out of fear.

11. luling

luling New Member

Yep. She once told me that when she was a kid, she saw an apparition at the foot of her bed. Her mind immediately thought "Satan" and she started frantically praying until it went away.

One time she told me that if I ever get pictures of the future in my mind, I needed to not be lured into believing them and pray them away. I guess this is her approach to all things that are hard to understand. I'm not sure where all the fear comes from, but she seems to have done a good job of pushing her abilities off to the side. Except for those times she perceives things without realizing what she's doing. LOL

She's really sweet though, just quirky. And she's happy these days, which is what matters.

12. argonne1918

I think some religions use fear to control people. I also think they are fearful that if people can see the future, etc. then they won't need priests and ministers, preachers, etc. They would be out of a job.

13. shadowsofmypast

My mother has it but not as strong we think of the same

things at once . My great grandmother had psychic dreams.

Most came true. I've been told I should use my gift

in professional manner from a friend.

I say no because do I really want hear from

people about there problems will I have a baby?

Does he love me etc. Sometimes I feel like

Lucy from Peanuts. I have the words Psychiatrist Is

In on my forehead. I should charge more than 5 cents

though.LOL

14. tanguerra

You never know shadows, you might like it and might make new friends? I think gifts like this should be used, but probably not for profit. It's probably better to accept some kind of 'in kind' payment or gift for your time and trouble, but you might find that the act of kindness was reward enough?

Luling, it's quite likely that your mother also has 'the gift' but it frightens her because she doesn't understand what it's all about. No doubt, this would explain some of her 'quirkiness' too? She probably secretly thinks she's a little bit mad? it's a shame really, because these things are actually useful abilities that a lot of people spend a lot of money and energy in suppressing.

15. shadowsofmypast

Kindness ? OMG whats that T.? :D

Right know I have enough to deal with

My friend that has many problems.

Maybe it's time I help her.

16. argonne1918

Let's see. 50 years later 5 cents would now be equal to what? $1.00, $5.00? I remember when small bags of chips and small cartons of milk at school each cost 5 cents.

17. tanguerra

:) Perhaps you're right there!

18. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Me and my wife will do that frequently. Usually she'll do or say something that was in response to something I was thinking and she could have swore I said it out loud.

I think it's possible and I also think it's true about what they say about married people knowing what the other is going to say!

But I think too it could occur with someone that your vibration rate is similar to or it could have been related to your proximity.

Suffice it to say I think it's more than possible!

19. luling

luling New Member

I bet this is often very true. On the other hand, my husband is way too self centered to know what other people think or feel. I don't mean this in a bad way; it's just that he lives in his own head and can't relate to others on a deeper level. So if I want him to know what I think, I have to verbally communicate. LOL I can pick up on his thoughts though, sometimes loud and clear. Our daughter can too. Poor guy.

20. dking777

dking777 Senior Registered

I discovered this 'ability' when I was a teenager at a rock concert. I was at the show with another friend my age when a remark was said (in private) about another teen - showing off. The next thing I knew - this 'show-off' teen was responding to me - in my head. It was his voice and he acknowledged that he was 'hearing' me the same way I was hearing him. I tried to tell my friend at the concert that I was engaging in a private conversation with this 'show-off' and my friend rolled his eyes and said, "You expect me to believe that?"

The "show-off" had gone to the middle of the floor while my friend and I had tickets for seats. I got the 'show-off' to hold up the number of fingers I told him to - and he would jump and turn around - or bend down to pick up something off the floor - at my command. I was just trying to prove to my friend that we were talking and engaging in private conversation. My friend asked, "What are you two supposedly talking about?" I replied by saying, "You don't want to know." Long before the invention of the Internet - we had found a way to have a private 'chat.' My friend at the concert accused me of 'planting' someone I knew at the concert to try and pull the wool over his eyes and trick him.

After the concert, I started testing this out when I went to the arcade. I would always find another male teenager my age - who would answer my question. "Can you hear me like this?" Who ever I found to engage in that sort of 'private chat' thought it was the coolest thing in the world. We were kids and at that 'rebellious' stage in our lives - and felt if 'adults' found out what we were up to - we would get into trouble for it. I always got the reply, "Besides, no one is ever going to believe us."

I remember trying to talk to some friends about it when I was 20. I thought it was something 'teen's' did and grew out of. I recall one friend asking, "Are you saying you can read other people's minds.' I laughed and said, "There was no reading to it. It just plain old talk going on." I thought about taking my friends to an arcade and 'proving' myself to them - but my friends kept saying, "It is a trick. You got a plant at the arcade and your trying to pull the wool over our eyes." What all my 'secret chat friends' had told me kept echoing through my mind, "besides, no one is ever going to believe us." I recall one 'secret chat friend' telling me, "There are those who can and there are those who can't. Those who can - keep it to themselves because those who can't will try and make a fool out of you for it."

Sincerely,

DKing