• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Holiday Memories

pixarfan

Christmas (with apologies to non-Christians) is a very nostalgic time for me, as I'm sure it is for others. It seems like the only time of year we hear singers of yore still played on contemporary radio (when's the last time you heard Frank Sinatra on even oldies radio? Would anyone still know who Burl Ives was if it wasn't for Rudolph?) Or movies- WWII Christmas stuff especially just gets to me, as do vintage specials.

It's the season where perhaps even as children, past life memories from Christmases of long ago may be unknowingly triggered. However, it's difficult to discern what might be a past life memory from something one simply could've heard as a baby or small child. I don't remember ever NOT knowing Christmas songs, at least on some level, though a few were "new." I remember hearing "Let It Snow" on an ornament at my grandma's (instrumental beeping), and I felt that I *should* know it, and tried to find the rest of the lyrics (this was pre-internet). For some reason, I was just fascinated with that song. Of course, again, I could've just unknowingly heard it at a very early age while shopping or something. But I bet that besides the excitement of Santa Claus and presents, children (and adults) find a subconscious comfort in the rituals of Christmas, perhaps from memories they can no longer directly recall, but the feelings remain- cold or warm.

Does anyone have any past life holiday memories?

Ahh.. Christmas.. One of my favorite holidays. The season even makes me less cranky, but its a hollow happy type. You know, happy there's Christmas but something's missing.

I currently don't have visual memories of Christmas in my PL's but whenever you mention that particular holiday, a warm feeling surrounds me.

Glad Christmas is here, eh!? ;)

I feel the same way myself. I tend to become more melancholy during this time of year because I am not with my true family...but instead with a bunch of strangers. So all I have is my memories and a steeled heart to get me though it without sinking into a depressed state.

A fleeting glimpse of one, another male incarnation (most of the ones I remember are). Early 1800's, probably 1830s or so. I am not with family. For some reason I have no desire to go home. I may have been thrown out, but I'm no destitute rag-man. I've done all right for myself, gotten a few lucky breaks, made others for myself, and I have a comfortable apartment in town. However, I am not alone. I have a dear friend whose family has sort of adopted me, and I am as welcome at their hearth as anyone could be. His children climb on my lap and call me "Uncle", and this surrogate family is the grandest thing a man can ask for. I have an open invitation to all family functions. In this memory, rife with emotional impressions from this one glimpse, his daughter's engagement has just been formally announced to the family and I am offering a toast to the new couple and wishing them the same kind of joy they feel at this Christmas for the rest of their lives.

(The more I ponder this one, the more I get that I was a poet. I don't think my livelihood depended on it, but I'm not sensing a regular job of any sort. It's possible I scored a lucky hit at one point and have been living off of good investments.)

Surely you must have some friends from a PL there..? I mean, you can't just enter alone.. Especially on Christmas... :( Sorry, but I have a quite firm believe that no one should be alone during Christmas at all.. Childish I know but hey, there's nothing wrong, right?

That would be awfully dreadful... I think this Christmas, I would hook up some Frank Sinatra or Lionel Richie or jazz music and enjoy it. :laugh: Or maybe donate something to charity that would be good as well.. But unfortunately I'm a little too young.. :(

I love Christmas carols anyway, but the first time I heard Silent Night sang in German there was a peaceful calm that came over me that just swept me away. It felt so familiar to me and took me back to sometime, somewhere that was obviously a happy memory for me.

I loved it so much that I even went out of my way to learn how to sing it in German.

Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht. Alles schläft, einsam wacht...

Ooh, I love the Silent Night carol in German, thanks! Its so nostalgic! I actually remember singing it! I can still remember a little. In fact, I'm singing it now.. Hopefully I won't wake up anyone. ;)

But when I first saw it, I thought 'Silent Hill'.. My bad...

I remember how miserable Christmas 1944 was in Germany.

'I'll Be Home For Christmas' also brings some feelings of missing my husband... It's funny because I felt that way before I found out that song was written in 1943 and was about soldiers not being home for Christmas. Even more funny because it was meant for the allies and I'm sure I probably listened to it on a forbidden radio broadcast.

Not sure if these are coming from my imagination or if they're real, but oh well.

I don't have any memories of PL holidays...It would be very interesting to remember though...

Wuxin said:
Surely you must have some friends from a PL there..? I mean, you can't just enter alone.. Especially on Christmas... :( Sorry, but I have a quite firm believe that no one should be alone during Christmas at all.. Childish I know but hey, there's nothing wrong, right?
That would be awfully dreadful...
No. There is no one. I might as well be having Christmas out on Pluto.

Kapitan, I just had a thought. Maybe your soul's task after all this is how to figure out how to make your own happiness despite everything, and to take good care of your soul. Use this life to cultivate new relationships, and who knows? Maybe you'll unknowingly run into some "old friends."

Red Night said:
I remember how miserable Christmas 1944 was in Germany.
hug2.gif

I agree with you on that. Christmas Eve of that year was especially difficult for me. No wonder I always feel upset on that day every year. There is a moral to that particular incident though: Do NOT stroll into the snowy forest unarmed, especially while knowing you are very close to a Russian encampment >.> I am starting to notice a pattern in that life of being particularly bad at running around unarmed. Could be worse, I guess. I could've been my CO and constantly having near-misses with getting run over >.>

I do have a memory from that life of my mother singing me to sleep with "O Tannenbaum".

The elementary school I went to in 3rd-5th grade used to have the choir perform at their Christmas celebrations during lunch. In 4th grade they sung "O Tannenbaum" instead of the English "O Christmas Tree", and I remember wanting to jump up and yell that they "weren't singing it right".

pixarfan said:
Kapitan, I just had a thought. Maybe your soul's task after all this is how to figure out how to make your own happiness despite everything, and to take good care of your soul. Use this life to cultivate new relationships, and who knows? Maybe you'll unknowingly run into some "old friends."
I think you're right. There is no returning to the body's 'old life' it had and I'm pretty much doing what you said - just taking good care of myself and taking things a day at a time. Only 4 days ago I had a wonderful healing experience thanks to the owner of this healing network I joined - it's helped my situation out immensely as it has helped with the removal of the programming the body (the psyche) originally had (which was for the prior soul) and in the process has also helped the essences I'm taking work better.

There are also essences I will be taking for just that very thing - making my own happiness and making the best of 'sparse resources'. I've made do with little while out at sea, so I'm no stranger to that - but this time, there aren't any 'old friends'...yet. Hopefully to sparse social situation will change...and I'm sure it will.

Like the saying goes - 'This too shall pass.'

hinese pronunciation is quite hard and whenever the non-Chinese students sang a New Year's Chinese song, they pronounced the words horribly wrong. Which would actually cause the Chinese students to scream back how its done. Funny part, some Chinese can't sing it properly either. Its the same, when my sis started talking German (Or tried to) I barely understood a word and told her how's it done. Its worse if its in French.

But seriously, its not as bad as my sister, she said that she and her friend once got in a tank and drove in town, drunk. She got in trouble with her superior officer. I'm not sure whether its true and since she said she was drunk, she might be driving something else...>.> She told me her Russian friends get drunk on Christmas, but she doesn't drink a lot of Vodka as she told me its too strong for her and she just plain dislike it. (Har har, first time I heard a Russian said that. She prefers rum. But luckily, she doesn't drink now. Neither do I.)

Christmas is a really darn special time of the year. Minus the free gifts. Its all about sharing and the loving.. I firmly forbid any hate coming from anyone during that time and will tell you that sternly if you start hating. But I can't stand Valentine's Day though, but that's a different topic..

Ironic that you say they got drunk on Christmas. During that particular incident, both Russians were drunk >.>

Valentine's Day is only good for two things. And that's A) Making Hetalia cosplay videos and B) Telling people that you DON'T want to be their Valentine :laugh:

With the sharing and loving thing about Christmas, during my childhood in my WWII life, that's what it was all about. Loving. Sharing wasn't as easy. We didn't have hardly anything to share. My parents and I rarely received gifts on Christmas, and I never got anything on my birthday. There were rare occassions throughout the year where my mother (being our only source of income) would have enough money to take me to the cinema. I considered it a make up for my missed birthday.

I'm a Grammar Nazi when it comes to German (pardon the pun :laugh: ) Or at least, spoken German >.> I compulsively correct people and then I'm accused of being "too demanding".

Oh, you know someone who got drunk on Christmas..? And Russians? Sigh sigh, I don't know what I do for Christmas in my PL but I believe it has something to do with a turkey..

Hetalia cosplay, my sis almost cosplayed Mio. Which reminds me of something.. I gotta comment on my friends FB page.

For Valentine's Day, since all of us are singles, we changed it to Bachelorette's Day. Sorry for wrong spelling.

You're not the only Grammar Nazi.... Its worst case scenario if your teacher is one. The whole first class got a B because of her. LOL

Yup... Christmas Eve 1944. I forget where our unit was encamped, but it was in the forest somewhere. Anyway, we've got a nice fire roaring and we're all sitting around it eating and talking about what we wished we could be doing instead of out in the cold fighting. I want to say "CO" but at this point we had sort of parted ways as far as that goes. So I'll just refer to him as s/o considering that was what he was (oh the joys of being a closeted Nazi >.> )

So anyway, the two of us kind of strolled off together into the woods while they all sung songs, and just general holiday cheer. He lights up some sort of cigar (it looked like one, but it was smaller), and we get to talking about what we're going to do when the war was over. Something about moving to the coast of Italy or Sicily; myself carrying out my life long dream of being an actor and him being an artist. About this time, we come to a clearing, when two drunk Russian soldiers from a nearby encampment (how near I'm not sure) decide to take advantage of the fact that we are unarmed. Both of my kneecaps were shot out, and my former CO and s/o was taken prisoner. He died as a POW not long afterwards. Luckily for me, the men back at camp heard the gun shot. Otherwise I would've bled to death. Pffftt....Russians.

I never remember Christmas being so eventful :tongue:

Mammatus said:
I do have a memory from that life of my mother singing me to sleep with "O Tannenbaum".
Oh yeah, "O Tannenbaum" is another one that resonates with me. :thumbsup: Not as strongly as "Stille Nacht" does though.

Truthseeker said:
I love Christmas carols anyway, but the first time I heard Silent Night sang in German there was a peaceful calm that came over me that just swept me away. It felt so familiar to me and took me back to sometime, somewhere that was obviously a happy memory for me.
I loved it so much that I even went out of my way to learn how to sing it in German.

Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht. Alles schläft, einsam wacht...
Is it weird to respond to your own post? :freak: :D

Anyway, I was in the Barnes & Noble bookstore yesterday and they had Christmas music playing, which is to be expected this time of year. 'Silent Night' came on being sang in German and it stopped me dead in my tracks. I didn't move a muscle until I heard the whole verse. Then the next verse was sang in French. Hearing it sang in French was nice but it didn't stir the same feelings it does in German, which suprised me a little bit because I remember two lives in France. I looked up 'Silent Night' and saw that it was orginally written as 'Stille Nacht' in Austria in 1816. That means that my lives France predate the song which would explain why I have no nostalgic feelings for a French version. It simply didn't exist yet. Just thought I'd share.

I never really had much attachment to holidays in the US even though I enjoyed them. However lately, as an adult, I've really come to enjoy the sentiment of Christmas and just slowing down and enjoying yourself for a bit along with the atmosphere.

I've always had a particular attachment to fall though. I love the rain we get, the coldness, the falling leaves...

When I was about 11, I decided to have some sort of Chinese party one fall. I had my mom make Chinese food and I made some paper lanterns out of construction paper. I even tried to make 10,000 year eggs by putting some eggs in clay we had from our back yard.

I didn't know it at the time, but I may have really liked the mid autumn festivals from China, as that's more or less what and when I was doing it.. :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Autumn_Festival

Oh, I celebrate those! When I was a kid, I love playing with the lanterns! I still love the mooncakes and my aunt really gives 3 boxes of them every year. But I'm really frightened of the Hungry Ghost Festival though.. I'm sure you know what's it about. ;)

I missed buying them this year actually. they're kind of expensive here though.. round 30-50$

aww come on I bet the ghost festivals are fun.. :laugh:

Aw no! They scare me and my friends especially with the don't go out after 5 or the ghost will call your name and if you turn you're gonna get your soul captured by them! And many other do's and don'ts rules. Though I'm not really superstitious but I've heard run-ins with these ghosts before and it wasn't pretty and I'm not taking any chances. Actually this year, I was praying so no Holocaust victim ghosts would attack me or something.. e!e

Oh, here is very cheap. Most probably you can get a box or two for 2$ if I translate correctly to US dollars.

I think lots of people just "know" Christmas carols, but it's difficult to tell if it's from a past life or from very early childhood (i.e., hearing things as a baby).

Three holiday shorts from my childhood, maybe they will help someone remember ... I found some other great videos while looking for the shorts so I added them, too.

There are many more great videos on You Tube. Enjoy. The toy commercials are great for me, but they bring back memories of this lifetime, LOL.

I really should be cleaning : angel

I only have holiday memories from this life. I do remember story told by my late grandfather.

When Grandpa was a kid, way back when, before electricity was in homes, Christmas trees were lite by small candles. One year, when he was around age 6 or 7, the Christmas tree was sent on fire by one of the candles. He said that he, his mom and little brother were standing outside of the house, in freezing weather (snow on the ground) in their night clothes, while his Dad was putting out the fire. Now that's a memorable Christmas!

pixarfan said:
I think lots of people just "know" Christmas carols, but it's difficult to tell if it's from a past life or from very early childhood (i.e., hearing things as a baby).
That's a good point, but in my case I'm not sure how normal it is to instinctively want to sing them in German. I can assure you that no one in my current life ever sang in German around me.

It also just occurred to me tonight while watching "A Muppet Christmas Carol" how similar Scrooge's story is to people who have had near-death experiences... the "life review" of things done in the past good or bad (also between lives), judging oneself; "seeing the future" if one doesn't change; and when given a new chance at life (or "waking up"), vows to make good and live life to the fullest.

Did Dickens know something? : angel

Also, another "did they know something?" Christmas special: "Noel" (1992) is about a Christmas ornament who has "a happiness" (soul). SPOILER! When he breaks (dies), his bulb (body) is shattered, but his happiness (soul) lives on, finally seeing the manger under the tree (God), then his spirit released flies around the world seeing everybody.

Holiday memories and lack of holiday memories.

Best holiday wishes!

Since I've become interested in (and further explored) reincarnation; regarding any indications of my possible past-life, I'm increaslingly convinced that lack of any Christmas related PL memories i.e., holiday music, celebrations, foods, etc. may indicate I was of the Jewish-faith in a PL. I've had a good Christmas with family and friends this holiday.

Does anybody feel that lack of PL Christmas memories may indicate that one's PL may have not been celebrated Christmas in a PL?

later,

Marc

Back