How do you know dates???

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Hi,

Some people have asked me how it is possible for people to know the dates of when they lived before. I have experienced knowing - in most of my past life experiences and in different ways. I found an answer on Brian Weiss's website and thought it addressed this question best. Specifically since he is referencing a case of his and one of the objections to his first book. For those that have not read Many Live, Many Masters - it's a must read! ;o)

Do you remember dates? If so what were the circumstances -- in other words, how did you experience it?

2. Clivia

Clivia Senior Registered

I have read the Brian Weiss books and I can very relate to the fact that under hypnosis the subconcious 'knows' - as it (=the subconscious) can look on a scene like an outsider or observer.

There are lives of which I have no clue when they happened - for example the one as native american - guess the way of living and what to wear did not change so much over the centuries.

But there are lives of which I do know dates - for example as jewish doctor at the time of Admiral Nelson - as I can remember to have seen the admiral from a distance I knew I lived at that time.

Generally when knowing about dates - it's due to the events that happened

Clivia

3. Deborah

Hi Clivia,

Thank you for sharing. :D I think Weiss has given a plausible answer; however, I don't think that being hypnotized and asked is the only way to know dates. I have never been hypnotized. :cool My memories (experiences) surface through meditation, dreams and spontaneous recall. No one is asking me questions.

The following are two examples from my journals. I was a black woman named Clara, born in 1840 who died in 1891.

To be eight in 1848 felt important to me and I was very proud of it. Knowing the year of my death however, was different......

Anyone else know dates and care to share how you know them?

4. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Very interesting. I've been pondering this myself too :) I had a pl memory of a life in Paleolithic Europe surfacing - only afterwards I doubted the validity since I thought that this young man I had remembered ofcourse wouldn't have known that it was 1) in Europe and 2) in the Paleolithic period :)

What mr. Weiss writes definitely makes sense to me. I've had many memories where I've thought afterwards: "How would he/she have known that year/period?"

5. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

I know the dates only of my life as Lisbet, because I saw it during the regression. The regressionist sent me into a long corridor with doors on each side for as far as I could see. Each door had a number, and the number represented a year, starting with the present and going back. She guided me down the corridor, asking me to stop at any door that held any significance to me. I started walking, and I stopped at the door marked 1955. I walked through it, and I immediately knew that I was a 10 year old girl. Nothing significant happened in this year, so I'm not quite sure what it was that prompted me to stop at 1955. After remembering who I was, and where I was, the regressionist took me further forward in time and asked me how old I was now, to which I replied that I was 12. That's where I began to see the events immediately prior to my death, so I was able to work out that I lived 1945-1957.

I've had no luck with dates in any of my other lives so far.

6. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

I've had a couple of dates coming to me while asleep or just about to fall asleep/wake up. I think they have marked something important, but I'm not quite sure yet, what.

Often I just have a strong feeling about a certain birth/death year.

Karoliina

7. littlebug

littlebug New Member

I had a PL regression in which I found myself as a young girl living in a refugee camp in a desert-type environment. The regressionist told me to look down at my feet and they were thin, brown and bare. My conscious mind thought it might be India but when the regressionist asked me the location & date I clearly saw "Afghanistan 1873" appear as written words, just as if they were projected on a screen. I then suddenly knew that my family had been killed by Russian soldiers and my brother and I had escaped, and had been living as refugees since then. Not exactly a fun life. That didn't fit with my India guess at all, but the words "Afghanistan 1873" just would not budge from the "screen."

After the regression I doubted this date because for some reason I did not think there were any Russian wars in Afghanistan at that time. But when I looked it up I discovered that there were indeed incursions -- maybe not a full blown war but violent skirmishes -- particularly in 1870 and 1871, which resulted in a change in the border.

Also for what it's worth, when I first read about Dr Stevenson's reincarnation evidence I did not want to believe it because I was so freaked out about the possibility that I might be forced to reincarnate in Afghanistan. :eek:

Beth

8. Deborah

Fascinating littlebug! Thank you so much for sharing. It isn't often we hear about life times in Afghanistan let alone specific dates and time periods and circumstances. An excellent example. :thumbsup:

I do not think anyone is forced into a life time anywhere - it has more to do with being drawn to energy, souls and circumstances that we resonate with. ;) For what it's worth. :D

9. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Interesting question, Deborah! :D

I am generally not that great with dates and often have to do a lot of research to find the correct time period based on clothing styles and other details. : angel

However, for several lives I know the exact date - and have discovered them in different ways - from seeing them written on items, to hearing them spoken aloud.

In one of my lives in Ireland, I had experienced the following:

Aili :)

10. Deborah

Body illness, OBE and dream state

Although the following experience is also posted in the archive, I thought it might spring board continued conversation regarding how we remember dates and names. It was a dream in which I was OBE and at the time was very sick.

11. Deborah

Knowing dates can be very helpful in PL recall. It is by no means required but interesting to say the least. Any new members care to add thoughts or experiences?

12. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

I find this question about the time comes at the end of the regression about a life. The more I get comfortable with being that person , the easier it is to get the date.

It also got easier the more I practiced.. At one point I thought it would be interesting to see if I could remember each and every life from 0 AD>.. I could... Then it got rather dry by life 6 ... It made more sense to me to let things evolve according to the feelings that were coming up as the blocks were unlayered .. step by step.. And so I got back to letting things evolve which I figure was better for my personal growth..

soulfreindly

13. Alexnovo

Alexnovo Senior Registered

Great question Deborah, I agree with the Brian Weiss quote. As I experience my past lives, a part of me is always here, and I can completely understand the episode of his client Catherine. BTW I love that book and have read it twice.

In my own experience, in the life I have explored the most, that of Rafael, my present self has asked by former self questions about dates. I do not know if that makes sense, but it is almost as if the two parts of me can communicate in a way. I have not been given an answer to every question, including all the issue about dates. But, Rafael has answered me by telling me 1928 in many ways. I have discovered that that year was probably the most important and happy one of his life.

In the other lives about which I have less well developed memories, the answer is less clear. For example in my life in Ottoman Turkey, I really have no certain idea of the dates. I judge by the clothing and the furnishings in the office where I work that it was sometime during the 19th century, but more than that I am unsure. I have to piece it together.

14. Zengirl

Zengirl New Member

It depends on your method if you get a date or not. Sometimes even when you ask...you still don't get a date for that pastlife. Some are recent and obvious as when I had my pastlife come up in dreams of WWII. There's no mistaking that one. When I was a child I had years of the same recurring dream; I was a cowboy in the Southwest at sunset standing on a Mesa and four short indians with spears pointed at me. They slowly backed me off the cliff and I fell to my death. I always bounced high in my bed when I hit the jagged rocks below that broke my back. That had to be within the last 200 years I guess.

Otherwise, I do get dates for PL's when I use a regression tape CD, or video. I was in Jerusalem in 460 A.D. as a healer named Hannah. I was a young man in 1596 Italy named Luigi Parma. In 1437 I was in Germany and my name was Gretchen. I was very tiny with redhair and I had 'keys'...a chatelaine and my current son was also my son then. In 1654 I was Fabrizio from Portugal--a Navagator. In the year 2389 B.C. I was a Cretan from Lyra??? Male with black hair and eyes that was a traveling healer. In 1274 England I'm a young Prince named Aethelmund or Edmund, younger brother of Edward II. In 1538 in Japan I'm a Geisha to a Samurai. In 1861 I'm a black Civil War soldier named Jacob Bradfield. Around the turn of the century 1900's, I'm a young girl in France named Jehanne`. I was a Quaker woman who starved to death when her husband never returned from hunting. I was too afraid of the Indians to leave my house to get food. I was a black female house slave in the South who stole bread off the plates after dinner. I was caught and taken out back and beaten to death. I was a caveman named Ogla who was eaten by a dinosaur while out hunting for his family. No dates for those lifetimes.

What can I say? It's a mixed bag of lifetimes that served a purpose and if that helps you heal or make sense of your current lifetime, then remembering that PL is worth it to you. Sometimes dates don't matter. It would matter if you were trying to get back and verify that person's existance but for personal healing, no it doesn't matter. It's all inside you anyway! ;)

~Zengirl

15. Florence

Florence Senior Registered

Well Hello Zengirl.....How nice to see you here..

When I was regressed years ago in a group, I was not asked any dates. When it was over I corrected my father's name from Phillips to Phelps. I told my girlfriend, Mary, that I couldn't make up my mind if he was in the 1700's or the 1800's.

When I found a record on him he was born in 1799 and of course lived his life in the 1800's.

BTW there wa NO Dr. called Francis Phillips from Maryland

My dream of the death of the Jungle boy...I felt he was in his very early 20's

The monk who burned to death I thought was in his early 60's

The cave woman painting in the cave was not old....but I have no "feeling" about her age.

She seemed old but actually could have only been in her 20's

All the ages of the people were just my feelings about the bodies that I was in....

It WAS important to find Dr. Phelps. He was fairly recent and it reassured me that it was not my imagination. Because of that...I have more faith in my intuition about the other lives I may have led.

Actually the Monk's death I saw in a meditation.

Zengirl....I would love to hear some details about some of those lives that you remembered...Some of them sound really interesting...

16. Skarphedinn

Skarphedinn Member

Very interesting pack of lives, Zengirl. By the way, I am especially interested about the caveman, for dinosaurs were no longer on Earth by the time humans appeared. According to the present point of paleontology, at least.

Skarphedinn

17. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

As an archaeologist I have to oppose to the statement that you were eaten by a dinosaur. Humans appeared long time after the dinosaurs disappeared - in fact, several million years after.

Do you think it's possible that it was some other animal? Before the last Ice Age at least Europe had a much more varied fauna than what is around today. Among them were some huge animals that are now extinct, completely or in our part of the world, like straight-tusked elephant, Giant-deer, Rhinos and hippos. Even today these animals (except for the Giant Deer, which is totally extinct) are among the biggest human-killers, so we're talking about very dangerous animals indeed.

But no dinos ;)

On a more personal note, I'd be very curious to hear about your memories, since I also recall a life as a "cave man" in which I was killed while hunting (by a bear). :)

18. Deborah

I thought perhaps new members might enjoy this thread or have something to add. :D It's been a few years. Boy time flys. : angel

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

It is interesting to me that when a person is regressed by someone who instructs them to go to a specific year, the sitter is sometimes able to go to that year and describe experiences from that specific year. This seems to be true of current life regression as well as past life regression. By the same token, certain individuals can be given geographic coordinates and by remote viewing can describe what is happening there. However, in the cases described above those same individuals would not be able to tell you the dates or coordinates, if the situation was reversed. This might suggest that, somehow, the numbers involved (dates, times, numerical adresses and coordinates) may be stored in a dimension that is not necessarily a part of each individual's identity or memory.

Generally, I think it is more common for the average person to remember events and experiences than specific dates, and that we often rationalize the dates from our knowledge of history, which may contain some misconceptions or historic cliches that seem to fit certain time periods, but may actually be part of some unknown events which could have happened at some other time. Not all drownings, for example, happened with the Titanic or with Noah's flood.

I have to admit that some of my own dreams and memories have contained references that seem to point to pre-christian Celtic tribalism because they contain events involving the taking of heads as trophies. My own knowledge of that culture could have led me to mistakenly assume that it was pre-christian Ireland, while it could have been Northern Portugal or Southern Barvaria. Or, it could well have occurred in some obscure outpost of civilization even well into the Common Era.

In spite of this critical reasoning on my part, I still have a strong hunch that people can sometimes know specific dates, even though our present method of recording dates is quite different from that used during our history and among different societies. And—for all I know—our impressions may be quite accurate, in spite of our own ignorance of history; and our dates could truly be accurate in today's calendar, even though the calendar used during that time in the past may have been quite different.

20. Aelfgyva

Aelfgyva Senior Member

A never-ending fashion show!

Goodmorning from Holland...in this life now, I am very focused on what I wear...I can remember what I've worn, not only on special days, but also just everyday days! That is how I get a feeling for dates of my past lives. I see what I am wearing so clearly, that there is little doubt as to what year or time period it is...also shoes and materials are very clear to me. I can even feel the fabrics on my skin. I have only had one past life memory where a date has been clear, and I did not see it, I just knew, the birth of my daughter in 1947...probably because this was my last life and ended so tragically that the date stayed with me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
  21. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

I have never gotten dates before, and names very sparingly. However, with my deep interest in history - I have been able to roughly estimate the dates of past lives going by anything from clothing to architecture. Very approximate though...It would be thrilling to have a exact date come through!

22. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

Same here. I have an interest in what I like to call "common history", which is to say that largely ignored part of history of the common people. Famous people, world leaders, mighty generals, these are all fine to study, but tell me, did the average school-age girl in, say, 1915 have the same school and social experiences as I had when I was in school? Have teenagers always known everything and have their parents always been such obvious idiots? I try to get a feel for what the common person is like, and from that I can often start to narrow down at least a range of years.

23. Midnight.Sapphires

Midnight.Sapphires Senior Registered

When I went to my very first regression session and I was taken back to my prior life in Oklahoma, I was asked what year it was and was told not to hold back, to just say what came to mind without hesitation so I blurted out 1868. It was only after I began researching the information I gave in that session, that I realised that there was no way I could have known what happened in Washita, Oklahoma in 1868, but here was all this information right in front of me confirming everything I had said. This was the first step in my journey into past lives.

In another life in Louisiana, I researched the type of car I had seen and got an approximate year to that lifetime.

A third lifetime, I knew I had died in 1945 when the Americans began dropping bombs onto various cities and towns in Japan. Because in that lifetime, I was small for my age, I always believed that I was 3-4 years old but there was a member here on this forum who helped me with some information and it was then that I realised I was actually about 6 years old when I died so doing the math I lived from 1939-1945.

In the life just prior to my present, I can't remember how I knew when I died in 1962 - I just knew.