How might we make sure that we remember this life in future lives?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Treehugger, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Treehugger

Treehugger Senior Registered

I want to make sure that I remember this life and all of the other lives I currently remember, though hazily, when I come back next time.

What can we do to make sure that we remember? I look all around me at everyday people and I think that most of the things they remember from past lives have to do with resentments from the past. I want to make sure I remember this life and the lessons I learned from it and the previous ones. I also have life themes and interests that I want to carry over.

Lia1992 likes this.
  2. manduh

manduh ~I love this place~

Good question. I have no answer for that.

Oh maybe you could ask your spirit guids to help you remember.

Amanda

3. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

HI Treehugger,

Good question. I have come to believe that our thoughts, feelings and emotions will draw us to our next life time. These three Intelligence's are a forms of consciousness and consciousness creates....IMO.

I also believe that ATTENTION and INTENTION plays a big role in whether or not we remember.

Lia1992 likes this.
  4. Aaron

Aaron Senior Registered

Treehugger, what a great post! I have thought about that too. Do you think that maybe if we hold the memories of people, music, and the era with us as we die, we can carry it over with us?

I think that if you really become aware of the possibilities of living more than once in this life, you will probably desire your future incarnations to remember the things you want to remember.

Lia1992 likes this.
  5. Gemeni

Gemeni Senior Registered

Remember during this lifetime where you came from.
    Think everyday about who you truly are and what you're doing here. Always try and do your best for others and the planet so that when the times comes to leave you have no guilt and can die in peace.

6. frodo

frodo New Member

I'm not sure you can force yourself to remember. I think it has more to do with what you'll need in the future life. I've had more than one past life, but the one that I remember is the warior one probably because I'm living in wartime now. That makes more sense then saying that you have to be listening to music when you die or purposefully thinking about your life when you die.

7. Artzab

Artzab AS2

I think it could be possible to make yourself remember your current life in future lives. Is it by accident that some people remember their past lives in this lifetime? I don't think so. I think once a person becomes aware of the phenomenon of reincarnation they can get a better understanding on life. Sometimes I think that people spend so much time on questioning reincarnation and trying to find proof of it that they can miss the little things that show that something real is at work. Everything around us is a miracle. It doesn't matter how reincarnation works or why it exists, it just is.

8. Deborah

Treehugger

What are your thoughts now?

9. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    Treehugger - a most excellent question - you must have read the minds of many of us!

My first question to you is why would you want to remember your immediate past life? Security? Like a child not wanting to move to a higher class and leave his or her favorite teacher behind/

Assuming the notion of karma, what is it about the nature of your current life that might influence your future life? Are you vain, indifferent to the suffering of others, focused on material gain? Probably not - or you'd not be here :) . You'll be reincarnated as an older soul; on life nearer the end of your spiritual term as a human being. Don't obsess too much about your past-life-to-be; accept the need to let go. If your soul needs yet another lifetime to iron over imperfections - as most of us do - you may want some kind of marker to give proof positive of the Truth or reincarnation.

Lay down some markers for yourself.

If you have past life flashbacks, you will most probably have current life flashbacks of similar intensity though greater frequency. Identify these, memorize them; they'll be back in your next life.

I'm doing this now; consciously creating a spiritual 'time capsule' of memories, places, people, events, recording them in my 'software' and 'spiritware'.

Michal from Warsaw, Poland

10. Aaron

Aaron Senior Registered

I want to remember what happened to me, and why I let myself die so fast....I was so irresponsible with my life last time. I feel that the spillovers into this life from that one indicates that I "want" to remember, perhaps to be able to put closure on some people I left behind. And plus, in my opinion, it was the best time in life to be alive, in America during the late 60's as a young adult. : angel

11. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

I think what we are doing right now, discussing and being aware of and learning to understand reincarnation is what will help us to make sure that we remember this life (and other lives) in future lives.

In cultures where reincarnation is "believed in", children are far more likely to remember, than in cultures where it's not. In my most recent incarnation, I was a strong believer in reincarnation, and I believe that accounts for the fact that I've got strong memories from many lifetimes, including that one, this time around.

12. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    I'm getting more and more convinced that the older we are when we die in our present lives, the less we remember in the next life. The Ian Stevenson cases are a strong argument for this belief. If we leave this life accomplished, we can move on, untroubled, or unburdened with a desire for retrospection. This weekend I've had a couple of intensely strong feelings that suggest my immediate past life ended suddenly - a fall or a road accident. For me, a return to 1940s/1950s America is what I've felt the greatest longing towards.

My immediate past life was not fulfilled; my drive in this life is to do those things I never did in that past life.

Michal

13. Deborah

I disagree Michael. The ancients knew how to remember no matter what your age; but we have forgotten HOW. Children are closer to the state of awareness/ consciousness than adults. Especially in this day and age.

14. Deborah

HI Libellule

Too often I think - humans pass unaware of the possibilities they hold within themselves. As they pass - they are working from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd chakras - where clarity is not present. They are the primal instincts. Emotions rule. Therefore - as Ian Stevenson suggests - the process becomes passive...and we are drawn to the next life time - like a magnet to that which we know. And unaware of why.

15. Dascha

Dascha Senior Registered

I'm not sure how to hold onto the memories exactly. I know that meeting certain people at different points in my life has seemed to bring back a flood of memories/feeling of familiarity. I know that travelling has also opened up this door. I think mainly, the memories and knowledge comes to you partially when it's supposed to, and partially when you're open to the very idea in itself. It's hard to explain that to a person whose never experienced deja vu, for example. I think in this same way, memories might arise again, next time- through experience. Perhaps it's a game of wait and see?

16. rowan8

rowan8 Senior Registered

I don't know much about chakras, just that there are six and run down the center of the body. But your interpretation makes a lot of sense, even if the rhymes of the emerald tablet do sound kind of fake.(I think it's a translation thing.Usually when verses are translated from one language to the other, the poetic beauty is almost completely lost.)

this part was disheartening for me to read, most of all because it resonated with me. It rings true. But, if it's true that you're just kind of drawn 'like a magnet', doesn't the whole thing lose meaning? :(
    I don't know if I want to believe this :eek: . I mean, I was hoping that once you died, you'd know all the answers....

I guess that I prefer to believe that after death the soul 'goes home', until it decides to come back here, to learn other lessons, all of this a conscious process, up until a certain point, where you just don't need to know.... and if you did need to, it would just come back to you, in the form of PL memories.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Senior Registered

Unless something that has critical impact in your current life, nothing you do will be remembered. Yes, it sounds controversial and arguably as such, but face it, if you were just a plain old somebody, run-of-the-mill average joe, would you expect that life to be applicable for PL reincarnation? I wouldn't think so!
    Think about it. Who in this forum has been a Suzy Homemaker in a PL and has flashbacks, dreams, or visions in making a casserole for their family, or remembering a sure way to clean a baby's bottom or even take shortcuts in vacuuming the carpet?? C'mon, let's be realistic here.
    If you live a simple, no-frills life this time around, it'll count only as "time spent" for reference sake.

18. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

Perhaps nothing you do will be remembered by other people, but it will certainly be remembered by you-in your subconscious. Even if it was a plain jane/average joe lifetime, it's still just as valid and as significant to your personal history as any other type of lifetime.

One thing to keep in mind is that even "famous" people (uh oh, I used the F-word) can have parts of their lives, even entire lives (for those who became famous after they died) that are entirely ordinary.

One of my most vivid memories is of feeding the chickens. I hadn't had time to change from my dress shoes to my boots and they were pecking at my ankles. So although I wasn't Suzy Homemaker, I was definitely her Hen-Pecked Husband.

Honestly, I wish I had lived a simple life the last time around. And the time before that I wished the same thing (although for very different reasons).

A simple life isn't time spent or time wasted. It is simply what you choose. Anyone can be famous if you make the right (or wrong) choices.

19. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

I was once thinking, "It would be great to be immortal, that way we wouldn´t forget what we have learned and we wouldn´t have to start all over again", but then I realized: do we remember everything we have learned in this life?. An academical example, what we have learned in school: capitals of the world, do we remember all of them right now? probably not, but If we study them again it will be much more easier than the first time because it´s something we once knew. The same is with life experiences, we don´t remember everything we did, but the essence of what we did is still with us. That essence is the important thing, it doesn´t matter if we die because it will continue with us, new experiences will be new, and old experiences will be easier to re-pass.

About music and things from your current era, If you still like them in you next life, be sure you will remember them, maybe you won´t like them anymore so, why worry about remember them? You will like and remember everything you consider it´s important to like and remember.

20. Justin Smith

Justin Smith New Member

This is a question that has bothered me too.

I tend to feel that, at some level, nothing is forgotten (a kind of soul-memory). This may or may not impress itself on a physical brain and become manifest in life. Nevertheless, I feel that skills, attitudes and world-views developed in one life are available in future ones, if one needs or summons them. Mozart believes he lived three previous lives as musicians. Perhaps hard-won knowledge in one life become instinct or natural talent in the next (this appeals to me more than saying some people lucked out genetically).

I therefore feel that everything one learns (even on the last day of one's life) is important. I taught a class in Functional Analysis in which one student was an eighty-year-old woman and the other students talked behind her back that she'd never get a chance to use this knowledge.

When you study or practice, you are either:

1. Developing new abilities that may be available in the future, or

2. "Mining your soul" for already-developed talents that fell by the wayside.

Number 2 is probably what happens when one encounters remarkable achievements in a short time.

21. Hendrina Grove

Hendrina Grove New Member

I agree but to be honest it never really bothered me.

Somewhere as you stated everything one learns or experienced ,must be stored and if needed in this specific life to progress in your soul development process, I am convinced that it will be made known to you in some way or another.

Perhaps we should concentrate less on "what" we can remember but rather on "why" we are remembering!

Hendrina Grove

22. tpicco

tpicco New Member

Just a thought:

You could try meditating, and while doing so, imagine a person you will be in the future, and call out to that person. Tell him or her stuff like "Here I am. I am you. Remember me." and whatever else you might like to pass on. Perhaps try visualizing key moments from this life and mentally sending them to the "next you."

I would also try to keep the image of the "next you" a little vague, unless something just sort of pops up in your mind's eye.

I have no idea if this would work, but this is what I would do if I wanted to do that.

23. Wulfie

Wulfie Dreamer

Deborah gave a link in post number 3 of this thread but when I click it I can't access it to read it. It says I'm not allowed, can anyone tell me if that means the thread is only for certain members or what?

I think we tend to remember things, if not lives themselves, that have strong impacts on us on the emotional, mental, or physical levels. The more areas that are impacted, the stronger the 'memory'. I think Hans Ten Dam would call it a 'charge'? So while we might not remember the life itself, we would remember the event or the energy of the event subconsciously or consciously. And it would then act as a trigger to remembrance. To me it comes down to consciousness, awareness, and maybe intent. (which is why I was interested in Deborah's link.) The more aware or conscious we are, the more we remember.

There was another thread in the archives, I think started by Goldensage, where the discussion was around intending to remember. Most of that discussion centered around Atlantis and Egypt, etc., but there were many good points made around the idea of consciously choosing to remember; especially at the moment of death. If a person dies with a strong intent to remember, that energy is probably carried over into the planning stage (if there is one) or dragged into the next life for further development. Maybe if one has a strong intent in remembering this life and consciously works on that as a regular part of their daily life, that intent could be made strong enough to carry over into the next?

I've wondered if the people who remember their other lives carried over the ability to remember to the next one as well...and so on down the line, until they're able to remember more and more of them. Thoughts?

Wulfie

24. tpicco

tpicco New Member

Personally, I think we remember many things we learned. I studied astrology in THIS life and mastered it in less than a year. I later learned I had been an astrologer in a previous life. So I think I was "recalling" astrology THIS time, not really "learning" it...

25. Deborah

Hi Wulfie,

One of the forum sections -- that used to be on the forum --was closed in March 2006. The link you mentioned was in that section. So it now appears -unaccessible to members.

Would you like me to e-mail the information to you?

26. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

Wulfie, the reason you couldn't access the thread in Deborah's 3rd post is that it no longer is available. Every so often the forum is cleaned up, with some older threads added to the archieves, and other simply being purged. This is done to keep the database streamlined enough not to bog down the performance. If there were 10 years of posts still in the database, the strain would be such noone will be able to load the forums.

John

27. Wulfie

Wulfie Dreamer

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for explaining. And yes, indeed, I'd love you to mail the information to me. That would be awesome. Thank you!

Wulfie

28. Wulfie

Wulfie Dreamer

Hi John,
    Thanks for explaining. I'm really new to message boards so it's taking me some time to figure out how things work. I appreciate the help you and others are giving me.

Wulfie

29. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

an interesting thread....do any of the newer members have any thoughts on this?