• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

How to find out about your past lives

deborah

Director Emerita
Staff member
Super Moderator
I recently read a very good book by Roger Woolger. Ph.D. He is a
Jungian analyst and a regression therapist. The book is titled healing your Past Lives - exploring the many lives of the soul.

The book comes with a CD and meditation instructions. Woolger developed a very powerful therapeutic breakthrough that he calls Deep Memory process. - He has found it to be a SAFE and powerful system that has helped thousands heal from past life traumas and problems without a hypnotherapist. The CD guides you through his process.

He covers very eloquently the patterns that emerge from one life into another. How to recognize those patterns and he shares wonderful stories of people he has helped with this method. I wish the book was a little bit longer, it is rather short but he covers so much ground in such a short amount of time it is amazing. It just came out in 2004.

I was intrigued when he said:
"I believe that in it's higher form (as opposed to fantasy, its lower or ego-related form) imagination is the bridge to the transpersonal realities of the soul, that transcentant part of the personality we have called the self. This level of reality is also called the subtle world or the spirit world. Platonism, Hinduism, and Buddhism, all of which subscribe to the idea of the transmigration of the soul, call it the intermediary world, a reality midway between this world and the world of pure Light.

Has anyone else found a good book on how to find out about your past lives? This question comes up a lot on the forum. I thought I would share his book since it is relatively new and I highly respect his education, background and research.

There is also a great thread on how to remember past lives in the FAQ which is full of different approaches.

I just remembered another fairly new book 2002 - titled Mirrors of Time - Using Regression for Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Healing by Brian L. Weiss, M.D. It too comes with a Past Life Regression CD.

When I have a break, I plan on getting Wolger's book (through the link here, of course! :D ) I also have Weiss' CD, but Deb is right- it's pretty basic and a good starter.

I really do like Denise Linn's book on using dreamwork as finding clues to past lives- "Past Lives, Present Dreams."

Might I suggest:

The Reincarnation Workbook: A Complete Course in Recalling Past Lives (1989)
A non fiction book by J H Brennan

There are many good books of course but this is the one I first started with and it is quite useful and a good start for anyone wanting to learn about reincarnation and finding out about past lives.....

Peace..........

Found Great Tapes

In searching for the title that was mentioned, I come across a series of 12 session tapes (9 hours on six cassette tapes) called "Eternal Return", How to remember and heal your past lives By Roger Woolger.

I have to say they are AWESOME!

This twelve session series is very indepth and has already helped me tremendously with regression by the fourth session.

Saber,

Hi all,
One of the things i do with people is to help them back to their own lives upon this world and/or other worlds by using a simple technique called "The Christos Method" that i learned about 10 years ago from a lovely old lady I knew.

So far this method has worked for the majority of people who sought to know their history on the earth, with the exception of one or two males who weren't capable of letting go the logical control they are brought up to have as a male.

Apart from those, it has been a wonderful decade helping others. The biggest thrill for me is when the person sits up, opens their eyes and I can see the new Light within those eyes... they know for themselves that they are great and eternal Souls who survive the many passings of flesh.

I also find it interesting that once we experience re-living moments from other lives we have had (or are having as massive Souls), that each person is then able to re-connect again for themselves just by remembering the Feeling. And then they are also able to 'regress' themselves to experience as many of their lives as they choose. So I tend to think the initial experience opens us up to the Soul we are and thereby allows us access to the memories we need to understand the extremely long path that has led us to this here and now.

Love always.

I have not had one

Can anyone help me to have a past life regression experience, I have the OM Cd but so far I just fall asleep.(honestly it is a good sleep too:laugh: )

Hi Sparkles,

The very best advice I can give you is to read through all of the information in the FAQ and Regression sections.

Not everything will work the same for everyone -- really it is all about trial and error -- trying new things and discovering what works best for you.

The link from the FAQ section Deborah mentioned in the first post is great -- you may want to start with that one.

Also, the thread [thread=11214]i can't do it--any tips?[/thread] -- speaks about members different methods of meditation.

Best of luck!

Ailish

Sparkles said:
Can anyone help me to have a past life regression experience, I have the OM Cd but so far I just fall asleep.(honestly it is a good sleep too:laugh: )

Hi Sparkles. I've meditated for years, and I usually fall asleep. But I often have very vivid dreams, which I keep notes about. You should keep a journal, and I use a micro-cassette recorder too. What I usually do is read over my notes about the last probable PL dreams/memories for about ten minutes, and then clear my mind. Then I'll start meditating, focusing on my inner being, which is my heart/soul center.

Right now I've hit a dry spell with very few dreams of any sort, current life or PL. But over the years I've usually dreamed during about 15% of my meditation sessions, and I do several sessions a day. My best suggestion would be to not have a lot of expectations. Open yourself up to whatever your soul wants to give you, and don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen right away. Hope some of this is helpful.

John

Tayesin,
I would like to know more about this "CHRISTOS METHOD" you speak of. Please share it with us.

Hi Kiran, and a big welcome to you. Unfortunately Tayesin only posted that one time back in 2005. It is an older post but with any luck they'll come back. I too would be interested in this technique.

Is there anyone else out there that may know what Tayesin might have been referring to?

Best wishes Kiran!!
Tinkerman

A couple more books on figuring out your past lives based on what you see in your current life are:

16 Clues to Your Past Lives! by Barbara Lane (very readable)

Discovering your Past Lives by Gloria Chadwick (good info, but can be a bit hard to read)

For those who know your birthchart:

Past Life Astrology by Judy Hall

Hope these can be useful.

Clara

I have a fair number of vivid dreams - but how does one know when a dream or memory concerns a past life? does it usually seem obvious? does one 'instinctively know' it? are there any signature things to look out for?

OK, I see it - thanks Deborah.

One thing that puzzles me about dreams - if it's so important to note them down, why are we set up to forget most of them within seconds of waking up?

I often wake up thinking I've had an interesting dream, only to have totally forgotten what it was about just a few seconds later - almost as if evolution has decided there are better things to do than think about dreams :rolleyes:

Having said that, I do keep a notepad and pencil by the bed, because when I'd spent the day trying to solve a tricky programming problem, I'd often find I solved it while pondering it in my dreams, and I found that those dreams (or the answer to the problem at least) didn't just vanish from memory. Strange.

dlorde said:
One thing that puzzles me about dreams - if it's so important to note them down, why are we set up to forget most of them within seconds of waking up?
It's a skill, like anything else, that gets better with practice.

dlorde said:
I often wake up thinking I've had an interesting dream, only to have totally forgotten what it was about just a few seconds later - almost as if evolution has decided there are better things to do than think about dreams
Evolution? More like, culture.

When it comes to remembering dreams, the mind can be trained to remember dreams in much the same way as some people are able to "program" their minds to wake up at specific times of the day or night. Personally speaking, however, it is easier for me to program my mind to wake up precisely at 6:14 AM than it is for me to remember dreams; but it can be done. Of course, there are variables involved in waking up, just as there are to remembering dreams. If one is exhausted, or not looking forward to waking up, all bets are off.

There are many more variables involved in remembering dreams. For example, dreams involve so many different themes and occur with such frequency, that training the mind to remember them can take much more time than people are willing to put into the effort. In addition, dreams can be heavily influenced by ambient noises during the night, and most often by the waking stimulus, be it a radio alarm clock, or one's pit bull terrier wanting to be taken out.

Training the mind to remember dreams can take a while, and success can be as frustrating as not remembering any dreams at all; because it is possible to remember more dreams than can possibly be written down, and most may have nothing to do with reincarnation at all.

Blueheart said:
Evolution? More like, culture.
Interesting - so the evanescence of dreams is a cultural thing?

I understand that, with practice, it becomes easier to remember them, and that it's best done immediately on waking, but are you saying there are cultures where dreams don't rapidly fade without deliberate recall - where they simply remain like any other conscious experience? Any examples?

Deliberate recall, I imagine, would always be necessary. But, perhaps, it doesn't need to seem so hard to do. If cultures placed a premium on dreaming, or were more conducive to remembering dreams upon awakening, we would all be doing it more often then not. I am out of my field here, but I believe Australian indigenous peoples place a premium on dreaming.

In my opinion, I think it is also important to write your dream down so that the accuracy doesn't drift over time. If you at some point in the future add to the dream content, how can you be sure that the additional information is not interpretive. Memory is a strange thing and you have to be scrupulously honest with yourself in order to avoid self-deception.

As a student (many years ago!), I had a lot of interesting dreams - perhaps a combination of long lie-ins and many novel experiences - and I tried writing the good ones down. However, I found that the very act of trying to put them into words seemed to lose most of the richness of content, resulting in a somewhat hollow and skeletal summary. Clearly better than nothing, but for me, writing them down turned out to be an act of translation and interpretation in itself.

Dlorde, just a little tidbit on the Aboriginal culture. They have a concept called 'The Dreamtime'. And in their beliefs I think that they personally believe in their old belief system that the world was dreamed into being. Here is a link at Wikipedia that might provide more then what I am able

to say.

Hope this helps and Wishing You the Best!

Aboriginal Dreamtime - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamtime

dlorde said:
...writing them down turned out to be an act of translation and interpretation in itself.
I understand what you are saying. It makes one wonder if something as visual as a dream can be accurately translated into the written word. I suppose that we can get the gist of the dream through a combination of writing down the dream to help us to remember that we even had the dream and then to recall the emotional content that we felt at the time.

changing one’s level of consciousness with intent

Hi all:There is a particular element in the post by Tayesin of 10-14-05 that strikes at the heart of the matter:

once we experience re-living moments from other lives we have had (or are having as massive Souls), that each person is then able to re-connect again for themselves just by remembering the Feeling. And then they are also able to 'regress' themselves to experience as many of their lives as they choose.
so instead of talking “regression” here as some sort of “special” ethereal process think rather of moving into an alternate dimension of yourself (as per an aspect of the identity “massive soul”) rather than becoming involved in something called a “regression technique”.
Thus one might simply think of “changing one’s level of consciousness with intent” as being the distinguishing attribute whereby one lives or re-lives a moment of another life. This can be done in a formal context whereby “to meditate" is to change the level of consciousness with intent or it can be done “on the fly”, so to speak, from moment to moment. Now, if one changes the level of consciousness to something beyond the level of personal self (and this should be possible for anyone who has experienced some aspect of a past life) then In response to a self-query such as “what is (my) being beyond time?” a center in consciousness naturally develops as its own true nature is realized and its role in creation of a vast array of lives is simultaneously recalled. Pick a life, any life and simply enter therein.

Since this “center” (of the massive soul – above cited-) inherently must know itself as “creator”, (how could it be otherwise?) therefore, simply by changing one’s level of conscious to the point consonant with the initiation of a life (any life) it is possible to exactly enter therein and re-live (not replay) but re-live that life in every detail and with all infrastructure intact, should that be what is desired.

It all lies in the intent and in the ability to change the level of one’s consciousness at will. It is defiantly not rocket science, far from it, it is what creation and self-knowledge is all about (or not).

How to get there if not already familiar with a past-life? Just practice changing your level of consciousness - think of the way you were, your state of being, before you took birth in this very life here and now and be that!. It is "dead" easy, anyone can do it you just have to give yourself "permission" to begin.

The idea that (free) meditation is: changing the level of consciousness by intent was formulated by a colleague of mine, Maria Cerekas and is used with her permission..

:angel:

kmatjhwy said:
Dlorde, just a little tidbit on the Aboriginal culture. They have a concept called 'The Dreamtime' ...
Yes, thanks kmatjhwy; I've seen a couple of fascinating documentaries about the native Australian dreamings, the 'Dreamtime', and how intimately it's related to the local geography and to their art. An amazing culture.

I've tried one of those book/CD thingys. Didn't get very far with the regressions, but I managed to get to sleep easier.

consult a professional

Hi verbosewriter, so ok the CD thing was not a success. So perhaps try to get some help. Maybe look around for a professional past-life regression therapist. Such people often advertise in spiritual newsletters, alternate newspapers and maybe associate with crystal-shops and the like. The fee should be something like $40 a session.......

It seems to me that remembering Past Lives is not so much about finding the right "system" as it is finding the right frame of mind. I think that having a Past Life memory is involves being presented with the right "trigger" while the mind is relaxed and not preoccupied. The right trigger could be an antique tool, a ray of light through a window, or a soothing voice -- anything, so long as it is somehow associated with a passionate moment from your past. Knowing what that trigger might be, however, is impossible to determine ahead of time. So, clearly, one more thing is necessary, and that is to allow your mind to relax without going to sleep.

The interesting thing is that when you have the right trigger, your mind will refuse to sleep. How the emotional trigger emerges at the right moment is a mystery to me, but I suspect that a person undergoing a successful regression probably has an emotional issue lurking just below the surface.

That's where a good qualified regression therapist is usually necessary. A skilled practitioner knows how to ask questions that we would not normally ask ourselves. And, an experienced practitioner usually has the kind of experience that can identify emotions that we keep repressed and out of reach from ourselves. As popular as regression CDs and internet videos are, they can only ask the standard questions, and are limited to the types of emotional triggers that may be too common or generalized.

Now, considering that Past Lives usually contain historical content, I have found historical settings to be most conducive to triggering possible past life memories. However, the historical trigger must be accurate, and one's frame of mind must be unencumbered by present-time issues like schedule, social pressures and interruptions. Although watching historical movies may present a good method of blocking out such issues, the anachronisms contained in such presentations can only create inaccurate fantasies that would interfere with possible memories.

I would recommend visiting antique shops where one is allowed to handle objects without interference or pressure from a salesperson. Sometimes, an object in one's hand will act as a trigger for a distant memory, because so much of history involves hand tools and implements. Sometimes, one will find a museum display that seems to speak to the observer, and one just knows, somehow, that it could come alive. One doesn't have to know much about history to know whether a particular setting seems correct or not. One just knows. On the other hand, I think, most people can sense when something seems dead or out of place. Don't assume that all museums, historical societies and historians know what they're describing. Let your feelings play with what you see.

It is very often the case that people will try to enter a meditative state with nothing on the mind; which is good, as long as one can eliminate all the considerations of one's present mind. However, my own experience indicates that the subconscious mind often needs something to work on during meditation. If one's conscious mind has been spending a lot of time working on a particular present day problem, it seems the subconscious mind will often find solutions during meditation. Much documentation exists describing scientists and inventors having dreams that often contain solutions to problems that they might have been working on for weeks. The same subconscious phenomenon seems to happen to some of us after doing historical research.

It seems that we must often be somehow predisposed to the triggers that specifically generate past life memories. Otherwise, meditation and hypnosis will serve to provide solutions for a very wide variety of issues, most of which may have nothing to do with past lives. It is true that some people are able to spontaneously slip into various mental states, which generate any number of unusual experiences including past life memories, paranormal experiences and even psychic abilities. But, not being able to experience these things does not mean that the rest of us are any less connected.

I think that every method should be explored, because each of us may respond to quite different triggers. The key, perhaps, is to never give up. A certain amount of ground work must be accomplished in order to condition the mind in each our own way. There is no one method proven to work; for, if there was, there would be no mystery worthy of our interest.

Back