Ian Stevenson and Ma Tin

Discussion in 'SCIENTIFIC and ANECDOTAL research' started by SeaAndSky, May 14, 2021.

1. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

I thought this article would be of interest to many as it deals with Dr. Ian Stevenson and one of his more famous subjects, Ma Tin, and the pressures they faced in their lives. Both were negotiating difficult environments filled with "sharks" that could or sought to destroy them as well as with their own unique personal pressures. It is an interesting read:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...ne-truly-adventurous?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Cordially,
    S&S

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Speedwell likes this.
  2. Speedwell

Speedwell Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Yes, it's an interesting article. There is the individual case which is described - and then at some point we have to realise that this is a real person being considered, not just a laboratory specimen, and the right to privacy and to just get on with living can very rightly place limits on academic research. Hence Stevenson had to hold off from making every last detail pubic.

On the other aspect of the discussion, how anything related to the non-physical is liable to come under attack, that is an on-going battle, and it is not just academics which engage in it. But media such as newspapers or tv stations can be enormously influential and many just won't touch these topics. It is a battle taking place on multiple fronts. However, with time, and multiple online ways of accessing information, the facts and ideas may be reaching people.

My personal view is not so much about reincarnation, but on life having a purpose. Often mainstream media promotes all sorts of superficial fluff, but doesn't help in uncovering what is of real and lasting value in people's lives. Personally, as soon as I recognised that reincarnation really happened, right away I understood that life did have a purpose, something far bigger than I could understand from this limited perspective here.

helz_belz and SeaAndSky like this.
  3. Susie C

Susie C It’s Me, Susie

What an interesting article! This part interests me greatly:

“When he passed away at age 88, Stevenson left behind a combination lock in one of his filing cabinets in Charlottesville, so that if he was reincarnated only he could open it. The still-locked cabinet, if ever opened, may well contain secrets of Ma Tin’s case and others never before revealed.”

4. SeaAndSky

Hi Susie,

This type of thing never seems to work. First, because of the memory block that keeps most from remembering anything about past lives. Second, even if he does remember, because there may be quite a long gap in time before/if he reincarnates, grows up, etc. and could find his way back. Third, because he may well be part of a different culture with a different language on the other side of the world. Fourth, his goals the next time around may be much different. Fifth, time doesn't stop--the program and the file cabinet may have disappeared by then.

BTW--we periodically have people who drop in here to ask how they can leave money, buried treasure, etc. for themselves to use in the next lifetime. Same problems.

Cordially,
    S&S

Susie C likes this.
  5. Susie C

Susie C It’s Me, Susie

SeaAndSky, exactly, which is why I find it so interesting. It’s almost as if he was planning his next life with the intention to find his way back and remember the combination. Perhaps in the case research that is put away in that cabinet is evidence that someone has planned their next lives for such a specific purpose?

Also, can we set our intention for our next life to come back to a certain place to do a certain something or to find that buried treasure? Personally, I believe that to be a long shot and believe reincarnation is based on spiritual lessons and not on material things.

SeaAndSky likes this.
  6. SeaAndSky

Hi Susie,

On the first paragraph: as you say--perhaps.

On the second: agreed.

Cordially,
    S&S

Susie C likes this.