• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Ideas for the NEW Reincarnation Forum

Asaki

If you decide to do such a thing though, it's probably a good idea to remind members not to make a new thread if many already exist on the topic, and that it's OK to revive old threads. For some reason, on most of the internet it's discouraged to "necro-post" on an old thread. So it might be worthwhile to specifically state that old threads are still open.
Very true.
Seems silly to discourage people from chiming in on a subject just because they were late to the party.
I've seen a lot of "necrobumps" at other forums that resulted in new updates to the story.

And like you said, I've seen other forums where you'll get redundant threads from new members over and over.

But a lot of people, especially younger ones, have a habit of posting without reading first.

Something from a technical perspective, but on other forums I get an email notification when there is a reply to one of my posts or a thread I'm watching or when receiving a PM.
That reminds me, there is another technical issue, I can't quite remember what it was, though...
I want to say it's PMing people that you aren't allowed to do, and you have to request it in a thread somewhere and a mod will grant you access?
Would be pretty nice to have that fixed.

Steve said:
I found a notice function in the backend. I have no idea where this will show up. Let me know if you see it. Steve
I see it. It's everywhere =)

Steve

Grand Poobah
Super Moderator
Sorry about my test notice. I didn't know it would go to every member. I tried but I can't figure out how to stop it. Well, now we know what it does!

This notice function should be reserved for important bulletins, like when we're going to shut down the Forum for a couple hours to do maintenance.

briski

Senior Registered
I think some kind of social media presence on Facebook or Twitter would help get the younger ones onboard imo

Totoro

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Maybe a Facebook ad would be the way to go? Create a blog post of interesting facts and create and ad and link to the forum obviously.

The issue to me is unless you're looking for it, you aren't going to see content. You can only do so much with tags and posting, which you should do too.

briski

Senior Registered
Maybe a Facebook ad would be the way to go? Create a blog post of interesting facts and create and ad and link to the forum obviously.

The issue to me is unless you're looking for it, you aren't going to see content. You can only do so much with tags and posting, which you should do too.
exactly - i think this is the best way to go

Steve

Grand Poobah
Super Moderator
We totally in favor of making our Forum more visible online. We have so many stories to tell that, if packaged especially for the other media types, should alert more people that we exist--people that need us but didn't know to look.

Clearly we should organize a list of external resources, starting with videos. I organized a few for Carol on her YouTube channel, but ran into so many YouTube rules and obstacles, we don't pay attention to it any more. Probably should. She had one video that a couple hears ago got more than a million hits. If we did it right, we could monetize the channel, and then use the revenue to pay for ads on other platforms, like FaceBook.

But how and who to do it?

KM Wehrstein

I mentioned before some promotional ideas, and I have two main ones in mind at the moment:

1) Create an associated Facebook page to promote joining the Forum. Already mentioned by others above. I wrote somewhere else that what FB is best for is not conversation but promotion, so here you're taking advantage of its strength. I can talk about this tactic more than hypothetically: it has worked well for years for the forum Military Past Lives (MPL). Suggestion for creating interesting posts for the FB page with minimal effort: use the huge wealth of info you have here by posting fascinating excerpts from existing Forum comments.

2) Have volunteers join other platforms and selectively invite people. Example: elsewhere on one of these threads, Reddit was mentioned by someone who said that every now and then a good reincarnation account appears there. Assign people to spot such accounts, then contact their authors and invite them to join here. This also has worked well for years for MPL. You don't get huge influxes of new members, but you get likely good Forum citizens.

These practices require volunteer time & energy, but are free.

Steve

Grand Poobah
Super Moderator
Any volunteers for FaceBook Ambassador? We do have a FaceBook page, but I don't know what it does now. I'm not a FaceBook person.

Steve

Grand Poobah
Super Moderator
Totoro. I love it! Maybe a little past life humor. But the main appeal should be something like: "If you got value from this Forum, please pay a little of it back so that we will always be here for you and for other souls who follow."

KM Wehrstein

Sorry for the delay in responding re discussion at the ICRR Board meeting!

The consensus was that the Board should invite representatives of the Forum (Carol, Steve, Tinkerman? -- whomever you guys choose) for a Zoom meeting to discuss the possibilities. Please let me know (here or privately).

Sarra

Senior Registered
A dark mode would be fantastic. Even with my screen at it darkest setting the site theme is very bright when I want to read at night.

Sarra

Senior Registered
I just use Dark Reader on my browser. This site is all black or dark grey except the top bar and the avs and buttons.
I’m usually on my phone when I use this site. Dare I say a lot of people who don’t live alone or have to share a computer and are afraid of others mocking them would also be accessing the site from their phones. Anyway in the interest of drawing new and younger users to the site a dark mode would help. Most websites popular with younger people have that setting easily available. Or at least the ability to change the website theme colors.

Steve

Grand Poobah
Super Moderator
How are we handling these suggestions? I think Sarra has a good point. Dark mode is the kind of detail that we older people don't appreciate that young people expect, and the kind of suggestion we welcome. Thank you @Sarra for explaining this.

melon04

I think some kind of social media presence on Facebook or Twitter would help get the younger ones onboard imo
Sorry if this thread has been inactive, but I have something to say about Twitter.

Just like what I said about TikTok earlier, I also strongly recommend against using Twitter to advertise this forum. Just like how TikTok is filled with general misinformation, Twitter is filled with garbage politics from all sides. (Not to mention that both communities are extremely toxic.)

Also how many young people even use Facebook anymore?

Last edited:

briski

Senior Registered
Sorry if this thread has been inaand the other one i foget its name ctive, but I have something to say about Twitter.

Just like what I said about TikTok earlier, I also strongly recommend against using Twitter to advertise this forum. Just like how TikTok is filled with general misinformation, Twitter , filled with garbage politics from all sides. (Not to mention that both communities are extremely toxic.)

Also how many young people even use Facebook anymore?
Problem is not many use these type forums either, it tends to be the older gens that use forums and facebook. Younger use more throwaway social media like tik-tok, Bigo, snapchat and also Youtube, Twitch etc

melon04

Problem is not many use these type forums either, it tends to be the older gens that use forums and facebook. Younger use more throwaway social media like tik-tok, Bigo, snapchat and also Youtube, Twitch etc
I never heard of Bigo before. (I just looked it up and it's a Singaporean website, so that's probably why.)

Snapchat and Twitch are definitely not appropriate for advertising this forum, due to their natures.

YouTube I feel like could work though.

Spiegel

Be glad you've never seen those accursed Bigo Live ads, they kept popping up everywhere a couple of years ago. 30 unskippable seconds requiring eye bleach afterwards.

But yes I think youtube would work, but there's the question of who would make the videos. I think "bite sized" videos, maybe 5 min or less, where someone discusses their experiences, would be good for drawing people into the forum.