Japanese School Uniforms

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Ahjumma, Mar 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Ahjumma

Ahjumma Member

Does anybody have any knowledge on Japanese school uniforms? One of the past lives I remember, I think it was most recent one was that of a teenage girl in Japan. I'm just guessing on Japan since there was cherry blossoms and rain in my memory. I remember running to get out of the rain and ended up under some side of the school building. I guessing late 80s early 90s style uniform (since I was born in 1990 but I could be wrong). It was a navy skirt (not a mini skirt but it hit past my knees mid-calf) and a white blouse with a red necktie? and I was wearing a cream/ivory colored cable knit sweater over my top. I tried googling but it didn't find anything. I'm hoping if I can find out which school the uniform belonged to it might help me trigger some more memories. I went to Catholic school growing up so I know the colors and style of your uniform reflected your school so I'm assuming its the same in Japan. Thank you everyone!

2. Sheeply

Sheeply Senior Member

Okay so in japan the school uniform is called a “seifuku” (制服)

This replaced kimonos in the early 1900s.

traditionally it was based off of sailor outfits, but recently this is seen more in the lower schools, as in high school most have adopted blazers now. (Japanese school system is as follows: Elementary school: sho-gakkou 小学校、Middle school: chuu-gakko 中学校 and high school: kou-gakko高学校, very similar to the American system)

Uniforms tend to be very strict, so being knee length sounds accurate. Also yeah, girls usually wear either a lose sort tie, or like a bow tie sort of thing. (Copy and paste 学校制服. And you’ll see tons of examples. But keep in mind there are a lot of “fashion” ones too.)

If you don’t remember anything else you’re not going to have much luck identifying a school I’m afraid. There’s tons of schools and they usually all wear black/navy, with a white or black shirt and a coloured tie/bow tie.

If you need any more Japan related questions answered I can help! :) it’s my degree.

edit: See if you can remember any signage. That’ll probably be your best bet

Tinkerman likes this.
  3. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

That also could very easily be the young pioneer uniform from China..

[​IMG]

4. Sheeply

Sheeply Senior Member

That’s true. I wonder how many other East Asian countries have similar uniforms.

As I said, if they can remember any signage, they might be able to tell what country it is.

for example a sentence in Japanese has characters(Kanji) and characters that represent syllables (Kana)
    これは私の猫です

the same sentence in chinese
    这是我(的)猫

As you can see chinese is composed entirely on characters, unlike Japanese.
    Of course if you can remember a sign then it’ll just be a place name and a number. But the place name will have the “kana” symbols above it in most places
    富士山(ふじさん)
    Mt Fuji
    something like that.

In China, the signs will be in chinese with English above them. But in rural areas they might not have the English.

5. RedSunshine

RedSunshine Senior Member

Yes, they didn't put any translated signs in rural areas. They only did in urban areas because most tourist people are there.