Kind person with violent past life?

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by SoulWanderer, Nov 7, 2010.

1. SoulWanderer

SoulWanderer New Member

Hey all,

I'm new to these forums but I felt I should share this. My friend and I were trying regression the other day and I was having a pretty standard experience for me...I'd learned a few things but my brain had known going in that I wanted to learn which key aspects of my personality are remnants of or lessons learned from a previous life. Suddenly, I had this flash of insight...not really a memory...but a knowing. I suddenly knew I had done something atrocious in a previous life. I felt sick to my stomach and an overwhelming sense of sadness and remorse. I'm not a violent person in this life at all...in fact most of my friends would describe my heart as being TOO big sometimes...I'm outspoken on social justice, I'm a conscientious objector to war, etc. I had this sense of not wanting to see that memory...but now I must admit I'm curious and scared at the same time...how could the soul of a good, kind person have lived a life of violence?

2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Hi SoulWanderer...And a warm welcome to the Forum.

I tend to believe that much of what we call virtue evolves from its opposite, because having an intimate knowledge of one side of the coin is sometimes that which enables us to have an intimate knowledge of the other. Whether in past lives, or in this life, we often remember things that we have done, which may feel repugnant to us now. I also tend to believe that the things we've done in the past probably seemed justified under the circumstances, which existed at that moment. No matter how repugnant, there were reasons we did those things, which must have seemed reasonable at the moment. Hindsight, they say, is 20/20.

Very often we tend to consign all behavior into one of two boxes; right or wrong, good or bad, virtuous or evil. As long as we live in such a limited mode of thinking, it may be to our benefit to not remember those things we've done wrong, because to do so would be to place ourselves in the same hopeless box where our mistakes would eternally keep us from growing. However, if we see mistakes and evil as part of life's path; then, we may enable ourselves to remember more and to learn from those mistakes.

I think the best way for you to explore reincarnation is to first accept the possibility that you, like the rest of us, have walked a crooked path many times.

3. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

Hi SoulWanderer,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, as Nightrain says, it's sometimes because of the 'bad stuff' we have done in the past that we have an absolute revulsion towards doing 'bad stuff' now, because we know where it leads and we know it's not good.

People are not 'good' or 'bad' inside themselves in my view. It's their behaviour which is either beneficial or not. Of course, some people's behaviour is worse than others, but there are many stories of people who behaved very badly indeed in their youth but went on to change their lives for the better, devote their energy to helping others, save them from making the same mistakes and so on. It's just the same from one life to the next. Nobody has 'always' been 'good and kind' and nobody has 'always' been bad and cruel. Things just turn out that way sometimes.

I'm sure if you had another try at it you would be able to get a bit more information about what happened in the past too. It might help you make a bit more sense of what you were doing and why you were there.

4. stardis

stardis Senior Registered

Hello SoulWanderer and welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, we are essentially a product of our enviroment and unless we are able to become the master of our human emotions and behavior, our human nature will dictate our behavior in the Earth plane. Most people will find a balance because of their place in society but some people don't have that structure and will allow the worst of the animal behavior to emerge now and then.

I think the soul is good through and through but when on the Earth we are tasked to find within ourselves the strength of purpose to control the animal instincts with which we are born with.

By seeking enlightenment in this life, we may be born an enlightened person in the next.

5. SoulWanderer

SoulWanderer New Member

Hey all, and thanks for the warm welcomes all around!

I've reflected a little more on all of this, and I think you're all pretty right about this. I spoke with my mom about this, who believes in reincarnation as well, and she says I've always been concerned with being fair and kind to everyone and never had the heart to hurt someone. The more I think about it, the more I think that this is because my soul had been to such a dark place and vowed never to return there.

I haven't gotten into the other past lives I saw during my few regressions, but Mimic and I are friends in real life and are going to start a thread chronicling our regression adventures...It's always so helpful getting feedback from all of you on the process. :)

6. liberty

liberty New Member

Thank you SoulWanderer, I can't wait to read your chronicles!

I too glimpsed a dark past life which has given me insight to my present, quite opposite life. Karma says that all of us have chosen to be perpetrators of harm and victims of harm so as to learn first-hand what circumstances would cause people to take on those roles. I rejoice that I have the opportunity, in this life, to overcome (and lovingly understand) the perpetrator mindset in myself, and to learn how to help others do the same. If we can tap into our own past-life memories as perpetrators, it could help us be more effective peacemakers now. As Nighttrain said so perfectly,

7. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

Hello SoulWander and welcome to the forum.

You are fortunate to have someone in your personal life that you can share all this with. I look forward to reading that thread. :thumbsup:

8. kmatjhwy

kmatjhwy Senior Member

Hi SoulWanderer and Welcome to the Forum! Looking forward to what you have to share with us here. Wishing You the Best!

9. SoulWanderer

SoulWanderer New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone...I'm glad to know such open-minded and accepting people exist in the world! :) I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to start that thread and get into my experiences just yet...being in teacher's college is demanding but I will be getting to it shortly.

10. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

Hi, Soulwanderer, and welcome to the forum! I've been an avid anti-war activist for years now. In my experience, some of the most dedicated anti-war activists are war veterans themselves. They understand first-hand the evils of war. It's not "theoretical" to them. I personally cannot understand when a seemingly normal person that seems like a good guy could causally say, "We should turn Iran into a glass parking lot." All I can think of is that that doesn't mean anything to the guy, they're just words, he's never seen anything get bombed in real life and the thought of it doesn't trigger any sort of visceral reaction in him. It's all an intellectual exercise he hasn't thought much about.

I haven't seen anything get bombed in my current life either, but I feel strongly that I've seen enough violence from past lives to understand how truly horrible war can be. It's as if my heart remembers.

Also, just because a soul led a life of violence doesn't mean it's bad. Circumstance plays a big part in any life. I imagine that the more difficult one's circumstances, the more likely one is to experience violence -- yet at the same time, the more likely one is to learn valuable lessons that last longer than one lifetime!

11. Lotus Rain

Lotus Rain Future PLR Therapist

I grew up in New Mexico and Colorado, but now I li
    Welcome Soul Wanderer. I know how you feel. I've been there. I am a good person now, and I have a group called RISE [Rape Incest & Suicide Education] that informs people about the epidemics mentioned, and helps people going through them RISE above. But, I learned some time ago that many lifetimes back, I was a Viking, and during that life I actually raped someone. It was horrifying and it took a long time to get over it, but I learned something. Who you were is not necessarily who you are. You can't change the past, but you can learn from past mistakes. And I believe that when people first start out on their journey, they are not mature spiritually, and many do awful things, but as we continue reincarnating, we grow from experience. That's what you've done. ;)

12. SoulWanderer

SoulWanderer New Member

Thanks for the reply! You're probably right...I've been thinking more about this and I do think my soul has grown since that life by leaps and bounds. I'm studying to be a teacher so I can help people and I've always valued my fellow human beings over all the money in the world. Seems my soul has learned something. I'm considering unlocking that memory though out of curiosity...any advice?

13. Lawyer Daggett

Lawyer Daggett New Member

I think the darker aspects are one reason why we do not consciously know what we were in a past life.

The baggage would be too much to take. It is enough to deal with bad Karma!

14. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

Soulwanderer I think if you are feeling like it's time to remember that past life, then possibly it is. Sometimes these memories come to us at strangely significant moments in our lives. It is best to follow your intuition on this one.

Yes, some of the things that might come up might be distressing or even shameful, but there will be lessons in there that might need to be revised in preparation for some upcoming personal test when this knowledge might be useful?

You may find, for example, while teaching that you are tested by a kid who seems to be aggressive or disruptive and you just can't work out why and feel frustrated about how to deal with it. Sometimes being able to put yourself in other people's shoes is a good way to work out what's going on with them. Having memories of one's past 'exploits' (and their consequences) can be very useful in this way sometimes. Imagine being able to draw on a few lifetimes worth of wisdom instead of only one? That is something worth studying further in my view.

15. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with the honorable J. Noble Daggett... if we knew all of the details of past lives we'd be total basket-cases. In particular, violent and traumatic past lives would make us flinch at every step. As he said...karma is enough to deal with. BUT... Tanguerra brings up a point that I believe in... and that is we will meet our truths and discover our pasts when the time is right. If there is a purpose for you to remember, or a need, then I believe it will surface exactly when it is suppose to. The lessons, and your life, this life, will follow. It's a wonderful journey. You're doing the right thing by exploring it and looking for the meaning. Many flail about their lives oblivious to karma.

Thanks for joining us here.

Tman

16. Lotus Rain

Lotus Rain Future PLR Therapist

I grew up in New Mexico and Colorado, but now I li
    I say go for it! The only thing keeping me back from many memories was the fear of what I would find out about myself. But it sounds like you've got this fear backed into a corner, so I think this is the best time to do it. Just don't force it, and remember that it's in the past. WAY in the past. :tongue:

17. RemainingSpirit

RemainingSpirit Remaining Spirit

Sometimes the person can't handle it. On another board I've been on, someone was recalling a life which ended when someone murdered him on the street. It just so happened that the details he gave matched the time and place of my past lifetime - and I remembered the murder. The problem was, he had the details backwards, and I realized it as I read the account. I did some research and found I was right: he had killed the other man, and ended up in an insane asylum. I broke this to the person as gently and privately as possible. I was told I was wrong, and I didn't press it. But the person continued to give me information to prove how right he was - and the information he remembered continued to match the information I had found. He did remember an actual life - he just couldn't face what he had done in that life. That taught me that's okay - we can only handle what we can handle.

18. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

Of the two Past Lives (PL) I remember, one stands out as having the potential of me being a "Bad Person" as opposed to say, me being a "Kind Person".

It was my consistent dream (as a child) of being a WWII fighter pilot in England (in a PL), of theoretically being a person who shot at other people, inflicting pain and/or death on them.

But as the dream apparently showed, it was I, in my dream who met death.

I felt bad about inflicting this pain, until I remembered that I was defending my then country against aggressors who meant to do my family and friends harm.

I slowly resolved myself to believing that we all play different parts, at different times, on the stage we call "Life".