• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Movies about reincarnation?

Libellule

Iridescent Insect
Does anyone know of any good movies that have reincarnation as a theme? The only one that comes to mind is Dead Again (1991). Are there any others that I can look for next time I'm at the video store?

Lib

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever(1970) - Comedy, quite good
What Dreams May Come - In the afterlife, Mentions reincarnation
Little Buddha - Searching for a reincarnated Buddhist Lama
The Love of Sunya (1927)

I once compiled a list of 15 or 20. I'll have to search my hard drive for the list. But here are some with "reincarnation" in the title.

ImDb search results:

Reincarnation de Serge Renaudier, La (1920)
Reincarnation of a Soul, The (1913)
Reincarnation of Karma, The (1912)
Reincarnation of Khensur Rinpoche, The (1992)
Reincarnation of Martin Gregory, The (2003)
Reincarnation of Peach Blossom, The (1968)
Reincarnation of Peter Proud, The (1975)
Curse of the Crimson Altar (1968)
...aka Crimson Altar, The (1968)
...aka Crimson Cult, The (1970) (USA)
...aka Curse of the Crimson Cult (1968)
...aka Reincarnation, The (1968)
...aka Spirit of the Dead (1968)
...aka Witch House (1968)
J.D.'s Revenge (1976)
Pan Jin Lian zhi qian shi jin sheng (1989)
...aka Reincarnation of Golden Lotus, The (1989)
...aka This Day, Previous Life (1989)
Reincarnate, The (1971)
...aka Reincarnation (1971) (France)
Riti, magie nere e segrete orge nel trecento (1972)
...aka Black Magic Rites: Reincarnations (1972)
...aka Ghastly Orgies of Count Dracula, The (1972)
...aka Horrible Orgies of Count Dracula, The (1972)
...aka Reincarnation of Isabel, The (1972)
...aka Reincarnazione, La (1972)
Tian guan ci fu (1987)
...aka Reincarnation (1987)
Tian guan ci fu (1981)
...aka Reincarnation (1981)
Tou tai ren (1976)
...aka Reincarnation, The (1976)
Yinyang jie (1974)
...aka Blood Reincarnation (1974) (Hong Kong: English title)
Makai tenshô (1981)
...aka Samurai Reincarnation (1981)
Walk Through H: The Reincarnation of an Ornithologist, A (1978)

'Audrey Rose' is also about reincarnation.

Eevee

Cool! I'll write these down and keep a list that I can take with me when I feel like renting something different.

Fiziwig, I have seen What Dreams May Come. It is a wonderful movie, visually speaking, but I enjoyed the original book much more. :) Have you read it?

Lib

I always loved Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour. It's not a documentary film or anything, just a great story that left me feeling like Love could transcend time...

Elise McKenna, a famous actress of the American stage in the early 1900's whose portrait catches the eye of an American playright in 1980. Richard Collier is a young playright who is approached by an old woman during the premiere of his first play in 1972. She gives him an antique gold watch and asks him to "come back to me." However, it's not until eight years later when Richard falls in love with a photograph of a beautiful young woman, and research reveals a recent portrait depicting the same woman who attended his premiere eight years earlier. Collier then becomes obsessed with returning to 1912 and the beautiful young woman who is waiting for him.

http://www.somewhereintime.tv/

That is a great list Fiziwig! I'm also going to write some of those down. :)

Take care,
Julie

Both "What Dreams May Come" and "Somewhere in time" were written by Richard Matheson. Fantastic Writer. He also wrote "Stir Of Echoes"
I agree with you Lib. Dreams was a much better book than the movie version.
I have not seen the Echoes movie with Kevin Bacon but I did enjoy the book. That one was not reincarnation related exactly but enjoyable.
Some of the movies that Fiz suggested I have not seen but would like to. I will keep them in mind. Thanks Fiz

Well, that's very interesting. I havent seen What Dreams May Come but am going to have to try to soon, or pick up the book.

Stir of Echoes scared me at first. (I just can't watch scarry movies) But, once it all started to fall into place, and the concept behind it... I felt much better.

Take care,
Julie

Julie
Dreams was great visually but the book goes into deeper details as is usually the case with book vs movie. I would recommend the book first if you are so inclined.
I enjoyed Somewhere in Time very much also. Matheson also wrote a book called "EarthBound" Very good also.
Oh by the way, a friend just told me about a movie called "Burned At the Stake" which is supposed to be about reincarnation but I don't know that one personally.
Anyway. Just sharing :)

Thank you! I think I will read the book first. :) There's nothing like a great book to get lost within. I don't watch much TV, so I'll have to check out Matheson's writing to add to my collection. :)

I never heard of 'Burned at the Stake' either. I found this piece of info at Blockbuster:

Synopsis

Susan Swift plays the dual role of Loreen and Ann in The Coming (aka Burned at the Stake). The story takes place in modern-day Salem, Massachusetts. Demons who've been seeking revenge since the witch trials of 1692 have reemerged in the quiet New England community. The ghost of a sorceress insinuates herself into the mind and body of her look-alike descendant. Albert Salmi and Guy Stockwell co-star. Its theatrical release scattered and limited, The Coming attained its biggest audience when it premiered in an 80-minute time slot as a CBS Late Night Movie in 1988. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Hmmm...

Take care,
Julie

"Dead again" really rocked, I enjoyed it a lot. And it deals with reincarnation not as a secret or hidden issue but it'
s downright "in your face" about it.

I'd thought of Somewhere In Time before it was added to this list, but I wasn't sure if it would be considered reincarnation or time travel. Either way, it can make one think about the possibility of existing in different times rather than one's present life. And the Mackinac Island setting is wonderful too.

For some time I have wondered WHAT was the name of that certain movie, and now I know it's that Dead Again.

I like it much, one thing for that there that woman becomes a man and vice versa. Many vampire-stories have this obcession about a vampire being a man who has lived hundreds of years, and his lover being a woman who borns to look like exactly the same as she used to be. Why doesn't she born to be a man for a change...?

;)

i love the movie chances are starring robert downey jr. that is one great movie!!! (and its about reincarnation!)

~*~*~kat~*~*~:D

I LOVE Somewhere in Time! :) :) :)

I don't really know of any reincarnation movies, but in the 'paranormal' category I'd have to recommend:

"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"
"A Portrait of Jennie"

But not many can beat "Somewhere in Time." A true classic!!
I'd love to visit Mackinac Island someday, but just to fly there from Texas is VERY expensive. (Going to Disney World for a few days is actually cheaper than just flying to Mackinac!) And forget about staying at the Grand Hotel. They make you pay them just to sit on the porch! :rolleyes:

If anyone here hasn't seen Somewhere in Time yet, please do. I recently bought the dvd and the extra footage called "Back to SIT" is really awesome. PLEASE see this movie if you haven't already.

Oh yes I liked "Chances are too" and I also liked Downey's "Heart and Souls" Not exactly reincarnation but it is a fun flick. And it does deal with the afterlife

An interesting indie movie pic is "Orlando", based on the Virginia Woolf story. About a character who is immortal and changes sex from man to woman throughout a 400 year period. A little offbeat but the costumes were great and it's an interesting premise. :cool

I look for movies like this whenever I go to the rental store. Two which come to mind immediately are: "The Loves of Sunya" (ahead of its time) and "The Search For Bridey Murphy". Both can be purchased from amazon.com

The only problem I had with the Bridey Murphy movie (and this is no fault of the filmmakers, per se, but with the book it is based upon): why is it that when the housewife who is hypnotized recalls life as Bridey Murphy, she remembers everything in a normal chronology from babyhood to death, but when she recalls lives before that one, as well as the existence between those lives, they are in reverse chronology (death to birth)? Makes it seem kinda fishy to me. Anyone else seen this movie?

Has anyone ever seen "Deja Vu"? It is a recent release (past five years). Is that one about reincarnation?

Anyone else seen this movie? (Bridey Murphy)

Yeah, I've seen it. It wasn't bad. I got a kick out of the part when the hypnotist couldn't get her out of trance and everyone panicked. Unfortunately, that kind of thing might deter some people from hypnosis.

But other than that, it was an interesting movie. I believe I read the book too, but I don't remember much about it.

Lib

This was a pretty good movie that hints at reincarnation:

The Devil's Arithmetic (1999)

Kirsten Dunst plays Hannah, a modern teen more concerned with trends than history. During the traditional Passover dinner, she zones out as her relatives harp about concentration camps. But then Hannah passes through a portal to the past, where she becomes her own ancestor in Poland during the Nazi persecution of the Jews.

I think it's up to the viewer to decide whether she was the reincarnated soul of her ancestor who died in the gas chamber or if she somehow traveled back into time. I won't give out any more...need to watch the movie. :)

Cheers!

Jereldeen

Affinity for historical movies

For Curious Girl - Yes, I did see "Girl With a Pearl Earring," and it was lovely. It definitely takes you BACK to the time period. I also read the book, which is even better than the movie. I have always loved the painting. In fact, I had it framed in my apartment when I went to college (many years ago), but it got lost somehow. I know I was Dutch in at least one past life.

I, too, love historical films and books IF they are done well. I love immersing myself myself in a prior time and feeling the comfort that arises when a familiar time period envelopes me.

I am interested in knowing about films that resonate with you for reincarnational reasons.:)

I love movies from the 19th century, especially the clothes they wore in those days and the whole "spirit of the age" resonates with me.

My favourite films include"Cold Mountain", "Jane Eyre" and the North and South saga ( much better than Gone with the Wind ;) ).

I'm also very fond of Jane Austen movies, from which I prefer "Emma" (with G. Paltrow). That's such a lovely film :).

Re: Affinity for historical movies

Originally posted by mertzie
For Curious Girl - Yes, I did see "Girl With a Pearl Earring," and it was lovely. It definitely takes you BACK to the time period. I also read the book, which is even better than the movie. I have always loved the painting. In fact, I had it framed in my apartment when I went to college (many years ago), but it got lost somehow. I know I was Dutch in at least one past life.

I, too, love historical films and books IF they are done well. I love immersing myself myself in a prior time and feeling the comfort that arises when a familiar time period envelopes me.

I am interested in knowing about films that resonate with you for reincarnational reasons.:)

Wow you just said something I've been trying to say for years and never found the word, COMFORT. I know exactly what you mean and I don't even know why. I'm new here so please forgive my naievte (sp) I've not had time to read all the forums and stories. I just said in my first post that a war movie started me off on my experience.

Wow this place is something else, people writing exactly what you're feeling. I love it already and I'm the biggest sceptic I know.

Good stuff!

Angusnethan - I'm so glad "comfort" was the right word for you. It sure is with me. I long for certain aspects - usually aesthetic aspects - of prior lives.

Glad you can join us. You're cool for a skeptic!:D

P.S. Skepticism can be very healthy.;)

. I also like watching historical movies, especially those from the Victorian era and the Tudor period. These times are dear to me and I have identified lives in both times and both set in England. Funny thing is I have Dutch parents but have always considered myself English, living in an English speaking country helps this offcourse.
What ticks me of when I am watching these films are modern day attitudes placed in historical settings.
The best ensample I can come up with is a program that is thankful now taken of air, called Dr Quin medicine women .My daughter watched this when she was younger, and so exposed me.
The story concerned a women as a doctor when the American west was being settled. That’s a probability, but her attitude to life was a century to early. Everything from animal rights, Indian rights, children rights women's rights and conservation were her forte. She was independent wore pants and rode a horse as men did in those days and not side saddle.
Maybe in rare cases these things happened but on the whole no, this women was straight out of the twentieth century and totally out of place

My two cents...OK, make it a quarter

That "Dr. Quinn - Medicine Woman" show was so hokey.

That's interesting about "Gladiator," Ras, but I've never seen it. The violence has never been attractive to me, even though I think Russell Crowe is a great actor.

I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but I'm onto the topic of violence in historic films, particularly "The Passion." Why does it have to be so over-the-top violent? I don't think I will go because of the violence. (My 15-yr-old son just announced that he's going with his girlfriend and some other curious friends.)
It's Mel Gibson's interpretation, I know, and Mel has been associated with violent movies forever....It just bothers me.

I think I will start a thread asking if anyone remembers a past life during Jesus' time. You know...some people think that Jesus didn't even exist. The only records we have are the historian, Josephus, and the gospels. (Correct me if I'm wrong....Oh, I KNOW you will... :D )

To stretch the subject a bit

As for movies, the paranormal ones are my favorites. Among them:

Dead Again
Ghost
The Sixth Sense
High Spirits
My Life As A Dog
Chances Are
Heart And Souls
Heaven Can Wait
What Dreams May Come

For nearly 20 years I owned a video store. My favorite movies to recommend were Dead Again and Heart and Souls.

One I haven't seen mentioned yet is "Down To Earth". Chris Rock is in the film. He was I guess what could be called a walk-in in that film. He acts a comedian who is opening at a comedy club and gets hit by a car while riding his bike and comes to in "heaven". He got taken before his time and gets to walk in to this old guy's body until this manager of heaven called Mr. King or something can find him another body. It is funny. It's kind of interesting how when he looks in the mirror he sees himself as he was before he passed on in his past life, but everyone else sees him as this old guy whose body he walked into called Mr. Wellington. Anyone else seen this film?

Movies...

Movies...I was wondering, are there any movies that resonate with you or have a scene that makes you remember something?

For me, the ending of the anime "Rurouni Kenshin: Seisouhen" is particularly like this-- the main character, Kenshin, comes home from a long time abroad, and dies peacefully in his wife's arms under the cherry trees. Every time I see that I still cry...one of my strongest memories of my life in 1860s Japan is sitting under a flowering cherry tree with my fiancee, Midori.

At the end of the "Director's Cut" of "Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen" (the predecessor to "Seisouhen"), the Battle of Toba-Fushimi is shown, in which the rebels from Choshuu, Tosa, and Satsuma attacked the Tokugawa forces in Kyoto and beat them back, signaling the start of the Boshin War and the beginning of the end for the "old order". The Boshin War was the war where my domain, Nagaoka, fought on the Tokugawa side, and suffered greatly because it refused to bow down to the "Imperial" army. As I watched the Tokugawa army in this movie being slaughtered and driven back, all I could think of was "NO!!!!" I wanted nothing more than to draw my sword and rush into battle myself...

Phew...

Deep breath...

Anyway...anyone else have a similar occurrence to this?

--Nobutada

Hi Nobutada,

All the time! Too many times to list. TV and movies (not always with my own experiences; sometimes someone else pings me to scenes). However here are a couple of times:

Jack dancing with the little girl in steerage in _Titanic_ (I didn't like the movie but that part sticks with me. It's a message about my past life self and a little girl I ended up embittered towards and am still having issues with. It's a rare time she sent any memory of affection back to me, since I recall that I was friendly to her when she was a little girl and she was always so bitter and usually isn't affectionate. But she sent that message of dancing with her-- but not on a boat, the movie context was about her but not in that way).

I saw about two seconds of the awful movie _They Shoot Horses, Don't They?_ on TV. I felt nauseous and turned it off immediately. I have since seen some of that film because now I don't panic at mentions of such things, although I'm having trouble writing about it at the moment and leaving some stuff out on purpose because of that. I didn't at the time consciously remember, it just made me sick and extremely angry. I couldn't understand why people would do things like that. I still don't get it but anyway now I remember some of it so I could watch the movie and consciously know why I had felt so sick about it before, because of awful experiences I had with a jerk of a guy bossing me around and an injury at one time. I was so angry and upset and afraid. I did look at the movie when it came on again after I had some memory, and it turns out to not be a good movie in my opinion. I think the ending is weak. Oh well.

Back