• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

"My old mommy and daddy"

SamP

A few months ago I was sitting outside one night when my 3 year old daughter came and sat on my lap just talking away...nothing in paticular, I don't remember how it even began but then she said something about her old mommy and daddy which caught my attention. I asked her you had an old mommy and daddy? She replied with yeah but I lost them at the lake I was so sad but then you found me and brought me home and now I am happy again. I asked her where her mommy and daddy are now she told me they are buried now...I must have turned white as a ghost I couldn't belive what she was telling me. After repeating some of the same things she finally just said she didn't want to talk about it anymore because it maked her sad. I told my husband and he thought I was crazy. I was up all night putting together the night terrors she used to have and the her horrible fear of the water...it started to all make sense. A few weeks went by and we didn't talk about it much. She didn't want to talk about it when I asked her but occasionally brought it up on her own saying she lost her old mommy and daddy at the lake. My husband still didn't believe me until she rode with him to work one day. He is a truck driver and he needed to move a piece of equipment from a lake outside our town. The lake is part of the water District and she had never been there before and it is very secluded...he tells me as they approached the lake she points and yells thats where I lost my momy and daddy!...he is starting to belive now...She just turned 4 and she brings it up here and there...this morning she was playing, jumping off the couch she layed out a blanket and said it's a lake, she then jumped into her "lake" and said look I am dead. My biggest concern for her is the fear of water. We have never taken her to swim in a lake but pools and swim lessons are a nightmare last year before this started she would scream every time I took her to swim lessons. Its the middle of summer now and she clings on to me if we go into the pool and ask me if i will ever let her get lost. I try to comfortcomfort her and let her know i will always keep her safe but nothing helps. I don't push it but I would like her to know basics of swimming for safety I hope she can get past it.

Very interesting. One thing I can tell you that might bring you a measure of relief . . . My daughter started to outgrow her sudden, unexplainable fear of bath time only after she started acting out what might have happened to her in her play. So, I think that is a good sign, as creepy as it might be to witness it.

Also, have you read Carol's book or books? If not, something to think about. It might help your husband too.

Hi,
Curious if you've had any success with your daughters swimming lessons?

Hi SamP

Welcome to the forum.

This sounds like a very common story. I would definitely agree that this is a past life your daughter is talking about. Write it all down for her now. She might start to forget and she will probably find it very interesting when she is older.

In the meantime, just reassure her that it's ok to talk about it if she wants and that she's safe and happy now. Let us know how she gets on with the fears of water? You might find that being allowed to talk about it and act it out in games in a safe way will make that begin to subside.

I don't think there's anything to worry about, unless she starts to get upset about it. Other memories might also come up. That's fine. Just let her talk and go 'Oh? Then what happened? Uh huh..' and so on, without making too big a deal of it, works well. Kids will often talk about this kind of thing when they feel a bit sleepy like at bed time, or riding in the back of the car.

Start keeping a journal and write everything down as she will probably forget by the time she is 8 or 9. You can ask her open ended questions such as what were their names, what was your name, did you have a car, etc. Best times are when they are sleepy or riding in a car. They have to be in the right mental state or they won't remember, and then it might only be for a second or two. Sometimes when they die suddenly their soul or spirit will hang around the location and then choose new parents in the same area. You can also search the internet using key words like "(name of local lake) drowning", etc. and see if there is a news story about what happened. There are so many databases online now it's much easier than in pre-internet days. Keep us updated.

Back