• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

NonOrdinary States of Consciousness and the Accessing of Feelings

cloud potato

Senior Registered
by John E. Mack, M.D.
http://johnemackinstitute.org/1994/...-consciousness-and-the-accessing-of-feelings/
....A friend shared this resource from another forum. It had me thinking a lot about my ego. I watched a special on the akashic records, it was suggested that all the information we need is there- but whether or not we've the ability to perceive. I've had some interesting moments I thought were visions of past life... Somethings I've shared here before. I've also been able to dream of a co-workers special landscape she dreams of to hash things out with her lovers. By attaching to these visions I've had both positive and negative results. Actually they are all positive, some just lead to temporary suffering- a lesson for sure.

What allows us to perceive? How are other people able to trigger memories? How are specific places able to amplify unique experiences for every person in the designated area? I think I've let my ego suggest that- because of the visions I'm having, this person must have been a wife in a past life... When in reality that is my desire for an intimate relationship in this life. That doesn't mean what I'm seeing is any less true, it just means it might not have been MY past life after-all. I think this state is also considered, "NonOrdinary Sates of Consciousness." Well, this is a fascinating read for anyone interested... Summary below:
SUMMARY

Through nonordinary states of consciousness we can be brought into connection with the cycles of birth, death, and rebirth; with powerful feelings from early childhood; and with the transpersonal realms in which each individual can discover the capacity to identify with beings and forces in nature outside of personal biographical experience — a physical and emotional reification of Jung’s idea of the collective unconscious.

When we are able to access, or reaccess, emotions that have been warded off in the body cells or in autonomic regulatory systems, then the human organism’s previously blocked natural healing powers can become available. It is in this working through or integrative process that the greatest therapeutic value of nonordinary states may reside.

Finally, nonordinary states of consciousness have value beyond their therapeutic applications for personal growth and the expansion of consciousness. As Brown discusses in Chapter 17, the turning of attention from outer stimuli to the inner processes of thought and feeling, as occurs among experienced meditators, permits the questioning of the structure of perception itself and makes available information from a realm of being in which the distinctions between inside and outside or between psyche and nature lose their power and in which a deeply fulfilling extension of the range of human consciousness can occur.
Anything here you find interesting? :)

:
Anything here you find interesting? :)
That was quite a long - and serious article, I didn't read it all.

One thing I did recognise was this:
John E. Mack said:
In view of the intensity with which the ego strives to ward off the distress associated with traumatic memories, it is not surprising that use of a powerful therapeutic tool like hypnosis, which can overcome defensive barriers, would have led to the recovery of traumatic memories.
[my bold font]

That certainly matches my own experience. I didn't know what I was doing, just discovered a method or process by myself. After years of struggling to suppress and minimise inner pain and distress, I realised it was not going to go away. So one day I decided to try the exact opposite of suppressing the pain. I settled down by myself, and just felt the pain, allowed it to come to the surface. I've talked about it before. It resulting in tears, I cried for the first time in many years. This turned out to be beneficial.

I carried on that process for days, weeks, eventually for years. The key though is the description, "NonOrdinary States of Consciousness". I was able to enter or leave this state at will. I never did it in public, though might perhaps if in a corner of something like a bus or train, where I would be unobserved. When it was time to engage with everyday life such as buying a ticket or chatting to someone, I'd be back in everyday consciousness immediately.

Yes, it allowed access to feelings, which actually was my navigation tool, in order to enter this state of consciousness I went towards the pain, into it, that's how I knew which way to go. It also had two results. One was healing. Two was triggering recall of a past life, though not in a direct way, but by the ability to discern what my past had been. For example I'd research a topic and suddenly certain things felt right, felt like me, while the rest just left me uninterested, no response. That was something new though it all fitted into a much longer pattern, going back to childhood when I had no idea of the concept of past lives, so things went unrecognised at the time.

With a desire to experience life as One, I think of reincarnation as a stepping stone towards understanding. With the belief I am not just this body, but that this body will die- it is not just that I have lived before but that I Live. A favorite quote,

“Ever afterward, though the dance of creation change around me in the hall of eternity, I shall be the same.”
Anandamayi Ma

Recognition of existing outside the immediate personality is affirming my desired experience, All is One. Consciousness IS. The more I've truly tried to live with this intention, the more I've felt whole and content in a given moment- and the more miracles would occur. Events that manipulate reality to acknowledge an inner life. Life is a miracle, is a mystery... And the idea of reincarnation, for me, is just a concept barley scraping the surface. A question I have is not in proving whether I am or am not so and so from a past life, but why am I experiencing this connection to begin with? Past life recall is not limited to unresolved trauma, and this ability is not reserved for a single person nor confined to linear process.

More thoughts on this idea,
That All is One. That ONE, IS consciousness.

So... While it might be accurate to call something our past life. Could it also be we are tapping into someone else's reality- maybe, even someone or something in the present?

I was about to start a new topic but first I looked around to see if I could add/merge it with an already existing thread and this one could be the one and if not, I'll move my post to another place on the forum.

My 'problem' is that I can easily drift into other states of consciousness. I've always been this way for as long as I can remember. As a little girl, I saw faces, faces, and more random faces before my 'spirit-eye' when I was tired of being close to sleeping. They had no message or meaning and came from all around the world, past and present. I never connected this to past lives.

I no longer see faces and no more pictures from random scenes. This situation changed in somewhat more complex.
During the day, at unpredictable moments, I feel like going forth and back to another place/space in a nanosecond. Enough time to realize this, but not enough time to process information, visuals, or memory about where I went in that split second. I am only left with an emotional residue inside me. So weird.

When I am driving alone in my car on the highway (easy driving), I get longer moments. A lot of seconds in which I receive random information. Usually, I don't pay much attention to this because it happens all the time. But I have an example that I started to remember because this happened several times. I feel like I switched places with somebody else, a woman in Wales or Southern England, living in a cottage, who is driving home after a day's work. I have switched more than one time with this woman and it felt like I was her for a few seconds. I think I received more information in those seconds but I didn't bother to remember that all. Not past life-related.

There is a place in Canada, where I used to go forth and back a lot of years ago. A kind of apartment where I only pop up in the kitchen. A shared kitchen between several young people. I've never seen anyone there, I just know it is a shared kitchen.

There is also a kind of apartment in Western Germany and I usually get flashes from the outside, although I might have been inside as well. Never saw anyone. I don't think those places are past life related either. I have played with the thought that someone I've been close to in one of my lives (or maybe children from then) lives in that place in Canada. About Germany: I always get the feeling about the sixties, not about the present time.

A new development started not so long ago. When I watch someone (just a random stranger in the street for example), I suddenly feel an enormous amount of love for this person. Not romantically, but a mini explosion of pure unconditional love, as if I can see through them, feel them in their core, as if I can feel their childhood and their hopes and dreams. Those moments don't last long but leave me with a WOW-moment-memory. I like these moments because I feel content with myself as well afterward.

I am not psychic, I can't predict the future. I can't speak with the dead like a medium. Apart from that, I do get spirit visits now and then but they come to me to deliver their message. I can't summon those things.

I wish I would know the mechanics around the flashes of me (my consciousness) going forth and back in a split second. I go somewhere and immediately I am back, together with a kind of emotional package. Never traumatic or problematic. Everything quite senseless, useless.

I don't think it's useless. I think it's an interesting phenomenon, one I am grateful for as I share a similar experience with yours. There is a young man in the Phillipines or maybe it's Hawaii and I don't know who he is but I believe there is a connection. I have also experienced visions of lives on different planets and it feels as if we are somehow connected.

I really admire your ability to feel unconditional love for strangers and relish the moment. My ego has been propelling itself into perpetual drama(very strong carnal desires at times), but when I have the moments as you've described- there is a sense of euphoria and contentment. It's a place I cherish dearly.

When I was a child, I loved drifting off with the different shapes and colors behind closed eyes. I used to see faces, now I still see them but definitely it is more MIND... But I think what that might mean, when everything we see and define(blue, green, a tree, a box, a bottle of water) is shaped through the human faculties.

This is a fantastic episode of the Why Files. You can skip through the sponsor as he segments it in the time scroll below. Hope you enjoy. If you watch it, let me know what you think.

Video description
Bending Time: The Successful Time Travel Experiments using Kozyrev Mirrors

In December 1990, in a remote village above the Arctic Circle, two Russian scientists embarked on a daring experiment. Their goal was to enhance human “super-perception” or ESP.

They built a device that could shield subjects from electromagnetic interference and amplify their biological energy. The device was a large tube of rolled aluminum with a chair inside.

As soon as the device was built, strange phenomena occurred around the village. Disc-shaped lights hovered around the lab. Balls of energy appeared and disappeared. The Northern Lights became so bright and vivid that they seemed to take physical shape.

Inside the lab, anyone who approached the device felt an unexplainable sense of dread. It took a while to persuade anyone to try it.

When the first subject finally sat in the chair, a flash of energy erupted that stunned everyone in the lab.

The device worked. But it maybe worked a little too well.

Not only did it boost people’s psychic abilities, it also enabled them to view any place in the world. And soon, they could view any place in time.

In fact, these experiments confirmed a theory first proposed in the 1950s. That time, as we know it, doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
@fireflydancing Your post reminds a Seth session:

Seth Early Sessions, Vol 9, Session 486

The Multidimensional Personality

I have told you that portions of your personality exist in other realities. Other portions of the self are focused within different dimensions than you own. If you can, imagine a huge building with many rooms, each room entirely different from the other. The environment, the methods of perception, the reality system within each room is unique.

The building shares some common passageways, however, as well as a common cellar and attic … There are devices within each room that enable a dweller in one room to communicate with those in other rooms. But the guests are so engrossed by the wonders of their own quarters within this strange hotel that many of them do little investigating.

Sometimes in their sleep they sleepwalk and come upon the passageways, and meet, but in the morning they do not remember. Now their maintenance is provided for. The hotel is beautifully equipped, and all pains are taken to insure their comfort and survival. Each guest has a peculiar and unique uniform, suitable for his own room environment, and no other. And every care is taken that it is kept in good repair.

Each room of course is so arranged that it has within it the illusion of many rooms. He is given tasks and each room, again, has been planned so that within it all methods of learning are available that the guest will need to perform his task. On our rather bulky analogy the guests are all portions of the inner self, who is the unseen attendant who maintains the building.

Now it is often difficult to see yourself clearly, and your situation, because you seem so close to it. It is quite possible however when you know how to use one of these passageways and look at yourself and your situation from a different viewpoint, to see it in greater perspective and from outside your particular room – to see it perhaps more clearly in its entirety.

You can do this quite alone. It is easier however if you have the help of one of the guests in another room who is more used to the passageways, someone who has been investigating a while longer.

Following our analogy, you will be his guest and from his rooms look down into your own with some greater objectivity. This is possible, feasible, since you are all portions, in our analogy, of this same inner self who maintains all of the rooms. While each of you are egotistically focused within your own reality, the deeper layers of the self are aware of the “family” relationship.

There is another portion of your whole inner self, another more advanced. I mentioned earlier that in one probability system you were a doctor who painted as a hobby. His name is Pietra. In psychological time or simply when you are still, close your eyes and imagine your physical universe as one room in our analogy, and his as another with a passageway between. Tell yourself that you would like to travel through that passageway, and that he will be there to help you do so.

You may be interested in hearing some information about him, for he is working with art, painting, in terms of therapy. He is not only working with patients and using art as a therapy for them, not only having them paint as therapy, you see, but he is also working on the idea that some paintings in themselves have a healing effect.

All of his interest in painting is used as a supplement to his interest in medicine. Certain paintings can capture the psychic energy of others, and certain paintings can release the psychic abilities and healing abilities of the viewer. The painter’s intent is embedded in his medium and in his painting.

Not only this however, but certain colors as you know have their own soothing or inflaming qualities. Now. I have told you something about this other portion of yourself so that you will be able to relate to him and see how your interests merge. Think of him when you are thinking of the room and the passageway and ask that you meet him there.

.. .

He is a man of some psychological insights also, and he is like you enough so that he can understand many of your attitudes easily, and unlike you enough so that he can see you much more clearly. You should be able to go with him, and from his vantage point observe your own reality and situation, to see you and Ruburt and your lives for yourself from this different vantage point. You should find it exciting and most instructive.

The other portion of yourself will also view his reality from your vantage point, and your ideas will stimulate his own, and both of you will gain from the encounter.

Now there is no reason why this cannot be conscious on your part, although portions may take place in the dream state. He will also be able to help you in the use of healing energy. Some few encounters may occur in which he shows you the various ways that paintings can also be used as healing agents.

I repeat: some of this can be conscious, if you use a psychological-time framework. You should be able to see him rather clearly. In his reality he is embarking upon a series of experiments that will lead him to you, if he proceeds properly.

His experiments involve drugs of much greater precision and stability than any that are known in your environment. The drugs enable him to isolate certain portions of himself, of his psyche, and to send the isolated portions on journeys of investigation.

The drugs not only help him but they also have the effect of emphasizing his presence on his journeys, of concentrating his essence, isolating and focusing those portions of his psyche. Therefore they will help make him more observable in sense terms to you.

You must be looking for him however. He knows of your hypothetical existence. He believes he has such a probable self, and is endeavoring to visit this probable universe. He has no idea however that you might be told of his visits, or that you might be planning to meet him. He has been working on the drug himself along with two others.

He will be perfectly able to manipulate in his own system while he is gone. Your state of mind and the receptivity will be communicated to him and serve as a beckoning area that he will recognize. The sympathetic, and to some degree similar, aspects of your personalities serve to open up clear channels between you. The passageway you see is of course not physical, and yet molecular structure is to some extent involved.

Now Ruburt was correct in the impression he gave during your break, and this other portion of your personality also has a sister.

You should see him visually either entirely objectified, or in an unusually vivid inner image. But more than this there should be an inner word communication between you that will actually be of telepathic origin. He is also visually oriented you understand.

He may be able to show you images from his own reality. He should be able to take you there in a projection, and from that point you should be able to look down into your own system, and in a series of flashes to see your life and Ruburt’s with greater clarity.

I gave you this information this evening because he is experimenting now. I believe that within seven hours he will be within your environment, whether or not you perceive him.

The drug may have the effect of coloring his image, so do not be surprised at such an occurrence – a yellow or purplish tinge. For various reasons we will not discuss this evening the experiments being conducted now over a period of some weeks, and they will not be tried again until your autumn. This has to do however with the conductivity of cell structures and your particular atmosphere during these periods.

Now. There is as I mentioned some natural sympathy between you.

There, is also a loose correspondence in the ways that you use your cellular structure and utilize energy. He is working from the medical principles you see. This is a very loose analogy, but he is hoping to shoot himself toward you like an arrow, hoping that those correspondences that he suspects will help draw him to you. He has made some errors, and your receptive state of mind will give him more leeway.

The receptivity is of a creative nature, you understand as if you were clearing land so that a primitive airplane could land, or setting a beacon in a window. In other words your state of mind can help guide him to you, much to his surprise and delight and gratitude, for he did not count on that boost.

Your own abilities are quite adequate, with his knowledge, to enable you to project to his reality with his help. He has no idea that such a thing can be done without the use of drugs.

Now Ruburt may be able to see him.

@baro-san,

This week I just put on the audiobook Seth Speaks and it blew my mind. This material is very close to what I already figured out myself. Usually, I don't read books that want to 'explain' reality/history, etc. as I don't want to contaminate my precious own mind with sticky spiritual rubbish.
It was so weird listening to this book. I felt content and highly uncomfortable at the same time.
Then I remembered that you once mentioned Seth to me in some comments. I must have read them because I 'liked' them, but now I reread them as if it's the first time.
For now, I really don't have an opinion about this other than: highly interesting. I am going to finish my book and find out what kind of source this Seth is.

This material is very close to what I already figured out myself. Usually, I don't read books that want to 'explain' reality/history, etc.
I, pretty much, feel the same ways, both about the Seth material and about reading others' interpretations.

The Seth material is written, as stated by Seth and I agree with it based on my experience with it, in such a way that everyone gets from it whatever they can according to their current level of evolvement. As you grow, when you reread the same paragraphs, you get more, deeper meanings, over and over.

Like everything we experience, but in this case even more, the material needs to be approached intuitively. It is learning through differentiation more than accumulation.

There is available a Seth search engine that queries all the Seth books. I find this way of approaching the Seth material more effective than reading through all of it, which is quite a lot. When interested in a concept, the search engine gives you all the paragraphs where Seth mentioned it, which might suffice your need for a reference, and in case you need to dig deeper, you can go to that book (if you have it), or search the internet, or ask for an extended quote from somebody who has the book.

Back