Purpose to life?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Rob, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

I have read a lot of different posts from members of the forum and I think we all agree on one main point: reincarnation is a reality.

On this common ground, and in the spirit of respect and appreciation for the diverse opinions each of us have, I wanted to open a thread that addresses another question. Why do we incarnate in the physical realm multiple times? What is the point of these experiences?

My own opinion is that our consciousness (our "souls") are changing or evolving into something different; we are gaining SOMETHING by being here (else we wouldn’t be here -- my own logic). We could possibly be gaining some “greater awareness,” simply “experience,” or even what they refer to in the east as “enlightenment.” I feel that our experiences and choices here ...our reactions to situations we encounter are leading us toward becoming something different than what we are. My own line of thinking is that our experiences here are NOT necessarily leading us toward some “greater consciousness,” for consciousness IS; it is already complete. But maybe that “perfectly conscious” part of us is gaining a greater awareness of its own potential through experiences in the physical realm. (an analogy would be, as a piece of fruit ripens it doesn’t make that piece of fruit “more complete.” It was already perfectly complete. It just sweetened it or changed it in some way.)

Lately, I’ve been experiencing an odd “synchronicity” in my own life. I’ve been doing lots of reading this past three weeks. Some books caught my attention at bookstores and other books were recommended to me by friends -- some friends even from this forum “Light” has been a central theme in all of these books (even those with titles that refer nothing about light.) My own conclusion is that we are indeed “beings of light,” and as we gain a deeper understanding of love (and how to truly love) the light of our souls somehow increases in the spectrum of light toward higher vibrations or frequencies (like fruit ripening, becoming “sweeter.”) As we increase in this spectrum we begin to better realize more and more that we are really one. Our individual souls gain a greater awareness that we each are not as fragmented and separate as we thought we were at lower frequencies. Our separateness was an illusion, ...almost like these higher frequencies of consciousness allows us to perceptively merge more cohesively. To me, this is the definition of “greater awareness.” This awareness increases in proportion to our ability to truly love and gain knowledge.

I know we all have different perspectives and our perspectives may hopefully evolve as we learn from each other. But I do think our experiences here in the physical realm DO have a purpose and an end (an “end” that leads toward something greater.)

2. why

why Banned

hi Rob,

As you mentioned we gain something. Why do we need to gain something? Is there a gap between our true potential and where we are at? It is popular in many circles to speak and or think that we are our potential already, but are we? To me a potential must be made "real". A seed has the potential of becoming a great tree, but the seed is not yet the tree, it must die as a seed to become more. Jesus speaks of this in several parables.

What does it take for the seed to grow and become more? To start with, energy in various forms such as, soil, water, warmth, light, minerals, and all the chemical reactions. There are also many possible adverse events or conditions to overcome that could stunt it's growth or kill it.

If we apply the rule, "as above so below",
    the soul of man is a seed and it needs energy in various forms to reach it's potential. When enough strength and maturity is gained through this process, the soul starts radiating energy through or by it's communion with the Source of energy, God. (depicted in art work as a halo) In reaching full communion with the Source we may become Brothers and Sisters in and of Christ. As Lord Jesus said, "ye shall do what I have done"...

The way I laid this out leaves a lot to be desired, hope you can use some of it. I don't have it down pat by any means.

Good day, why

3. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Hi Rob,

I keep running out of time. Quickly two thoughts.

First, are you ready for another book? LOLOL... Now try Arthur Zajonc's book -- "Catching the LIGHT -The Entwined History of Light and Mind." He talks about Niel Bohr's "quantum jumps" and Einstein's "theory of relativity" -- weaving together nicely the multifaceted strands of human experience (inner light) and science.

In another thread you asked about Bohm's theories -- look into Fred Alan Wolf's work and the "Tao of Physics" by Capra.

LIGHT - a key element in spiritual and expanded consciousness awakenings. Many thoughts on this one -- and no time. Maybe later today *S*S.

Yes, we are "beings of light" but here is a difference between us as "beings of light" and LIGHT BEINGS! Long story *S*S

Maybe the 'end' you speak of -(my logic here) is that we are learning to ENFOLD back into the LIGHT -- that which already IS!
    Love,
    Deborah

4. Brad R

Brad R Senior Registered

Hi to everyone,

I'm new here, but have been lurking long enough to see an astonishingly high level of discussions being carried on within this forum as matter-of-factly as discussing the current news of the day. It's amazing to be able to contact people who have had these first hand experiences, and I witnessed two minor reincarnation incidents myself,( one with each of my 2 boys) that had to do with Egypt.

the question was
    <<Why do we incarnate in the physical realm multiple times? What is the point of these experiences?>>

What I have been instructed (and absolutely believe),is that since we are all eternal beings, what we are "doing", first of all, never really gets "done". There is always more. It expands infinitely. We come into this space-time reality to experience joy in the becoming of something "more" than we were before, but this "becoming more" isn't really the be-all-end-all final purpose, it is but a means to an end, and,ultimately, this end is experiencing the joy and fulfillment found along the way. A good analogy could be the road trip vacation. Why go on this long journey in the first place if you will eventually end up right back where you started? This is what we are truly about here. It sounds rather simple, but many have only brief periods in their life where this experience of joy occurs, and it can be elusive.

As long as we find new desires to be fulfilled, new goals to achieve, and new experiences to dive into, we stick around here, and it can be as wild a ride as we wish.

It must be as a result of our own decision that we enter and continue to remain focused in this time-space world, which offers possibilities that a dimension without time and space couldn't. I'll leave it there for now.

Brad

5. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

Welcome Brad to the forum! I agree totally with your remark, "since we are all eternal beings, what we are *doing*, first of all, never really gets *done*. There is always more. It expands infinitely."

This comment reminds me of a conversation I had with my grandmother when I was a young teenager. She was telling me about her concept of heaven: Eternal peace, everyone singing endless hymns of praise. I remember seriously asking her, "well, what else are we going to be doing there? ...like when we get bored of singing?" She considered what I was asking and said something to the effect of, because we already did all we needed to do during life, we were "resting" for all eternity to come. Resting for eternity was our reward. I remember thinking (although I didn't say this), HOW BORING.
    ...and thanks Deborah again for the reference. I'll be looking up Arthur Zajonc's book -- "Catching the LIGHT later this morning on-line.

I'm also ordering one of David Bohm's books called WHOLENESS & THE IMPLICATE ORDER: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0415119669/104-5901416-3988703

It may be a little over my head because of my limited physics background, but I'm going to give it a try.

Dear WHY, I just wanted to say that I enjoy your writing style. You write in almost a "poetic" manner. Like I said before, I do think we "gain" something by being here; Unfortunately, using the word "gain" can sometimes imply that the essence of our souls are somehow "imperfect or incomplete," which isn't what I mean at all. I think the "gain" we experience is not an increase in perfection, but rather, more like a change of consciousness.

I hope you all have a super day!
    And Brad ...sometime, I hope you share with us your "reincarnation incidents" regarding your sons and Egypt. I'd love to hear about them.

Rob

6. Bob

Bob New Member

You know Rob, I can't help wondering why you don't spend more time contemplating the important questions, like what kind of sandwich I should have for lunch. It sure would be a lot easier than contemplating these questions which don't really have an answer, or maybe have an infinite number of answers....

For me, what is the purpose to life looks very different depending on what perspective I am asking from. Certainly my soul has different answers than my personality.

I used to try to find pat answers to these kinds of questions. But lately I've become more comfortable with the knowing that I can and do create my life - both my earthly life and my spiritual life. Certainly there are some universal laws to be considered, but is really up to me to choose the kind of life I want. Of course, this brings some of the other questions, like who am I?, and what is life?, and what is purpose? Ah, enough questions to keep my mind busy for eternity....

Anyway, I'm not in the mood at this moment to write a treatise, but I do want to highly recommend the Conversations With God series. These books have given me the deepest insights into questions like this than any others. For some reason God does seem to have some valuable insights into the purpose of life. Wow, isn't that a revolutionary idea?

By the way, sign me up for the past lives in Egypt club. I'm still curious if my dying buried in the desert sands there still has something to do with my dislike of dry climates this lifetime.

Blessings,

Bob

7. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

Searching for anwsers to the meaning of life and the purpose of my existence will never allude me. It's part of the reason I'm here. Maybe I'll never find the "absolute" truth to every question, but the journey brings me joy.

...I'll leave the sandwich questions for others
    Rob

8. Bob

Bob New Member

Well, I meant my first paragraph to be humorous. I guess I should made that more obvious. I didn't really think that anyone would take the sandwich comment seriously.
    Next time I'll put smilies all around my humorous comments.

I will say that sometimes when I delve deeply into questions like who am I? and what is the purpose to life?, I start laughing; I mean really deep, soulful laughter. There definitely are parts of me who feel the purpose of life is PURE JOY!

Blessings,

Bob

P.S. I had an avocado sandwich for lunch. Perhaps my life's destiny will be revealed to me while I digest it???

9. Brad R

Brad R Senior Registered

Rob was interested -- I'll relate two brief incidents which I feel most people would never have noticed unless they had a firm understanding that reincarnation is a reality.

When my older son, now 16, was 3 he glanced up at the TV which was displaying a shot of the statues at the entrance to the temple at Karnack(sp?). All of a sudden, this serious look of recognition came onto his face and he said a single word that was definitely not from the English in his vocabulary at the time. I could kick myself for trusting I would remember it indefinitely but it wasn't a word I'd ever heard, but had an Egyptian ring to it. Like hachetra or nevuta but I can't say anymore. He immediately returned to bouncing around in typical 3 year old fashion, and it was the last time this occurred for him.

My second son had much the same experience when about 3, where he passed by the TV (I love the Discovery Channel) and saw a shot of the Giza pyramids. He said matter of factly, "we we're there" then jumped back to his relentless 3 year old state of being.

I haven't talked to them about this but I am sure that the veil parted briefly in both cases. It's quite amazing to read people's stories on this forum where they recall so much right into adult life. I believe the reason we're not designed to remember too much of the vast journey we've undertaken thus far, is that reflecting on the fantastic panoply of experiences previously lived through, could distract us from going further in this current life.

Brad

10. Kathy

Kathy Senior Registered

Hi Brad,

I find it interesting as to waht you said about "a veil part(ing) briefly in both cases." I've done as much reading as I can find (there's not much out there!) on the subject matter, and that seems to be the way of it. It's remembered and then discarded, as quickly as it came.

When I was seven, I remember sitting on my bed looking out at the Maple tree in front of my house. All of a sudden, it seemed to glow, and I saw what is now known as an aura. At this time, I also had very strong reccolections of children living past lives, and of how the whole being came into shape. It was quite the day I had!

I intuitively knew that no one in my family would understand, and I knew too that I could be berated for the comments that I made. Perhaps that's the reason for children not sharing more. They know so much, and there comes a point where they realize that they don't want to know anymore.

It's a gift that of all that we know, it is revealed to us, a little bit at a time. I think that if I knew ten or fifteen years ago, what I'd be doing today, I'd want it so bad that I'd mess the whole thing up, and I wouldn't get to this situation in my life. My life has taken many roads, but I'm in the here and now.

Hope you're all having a fantastic day. Take Care, -Kat.

11. Bob

Bob New Member

Dear Kat,

You brought up such an important point. I also believe there are many good reasons why the veils part and dissolve slowly for almost all of us. It definitely takes time to integrate all the energies, images, information and potential that are revealed to us as the veils come down. If it all came down at once, we would be truly overwhelmed and would have a hard time functioning. I'm not talking just about past life memories, but also about all the other ways in which we can perceive beyond this physical realm.

I have also found that as we get better at lifting the veils, we also usually get better and better at integrating what we experience into our daily lives. For me this is where much of the value in my spiritual experiences.

Blessings,

bob

12. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

This is a really old thread I thought needed to be revived. Rob's got some great thoughts. ;)

Does anyone have something to add to the conversation? Or would anyone like to expand on Rob's interpretation?

Ailish :D

13. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

What are your thoughts? Anyone? What do you think now Rob? ;)