Recollections that effect a whole society??

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Hi,

I came across an interesting insight that Deepak Chopra gave in his new book Life After Death - the burden of proof.

I think he makes an excellent point; although he didn't go into how to recognize the differences between true past life recall and those that reflect another person in the past, I thought it might make for an interesting discussion here on the forum.

2. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Yes, I think that's a good point.

It would be interesting to know how vivid and detailed memories one can have, if the memories are blended and absorbed - and not real, personal memories. I also find it interesting this seems to happen also with "normal" people, not just powerful, leading figures of society.

Karoliina

3. Eevee

Eevee Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

I think it has to do with 'tapping into the Universal Consciousness'. I think everyone emanates certain 'waves' of thought, that are stored in the Universal Consiousness. For me this theory explains a lot. But it is difficult to put in words what I mean. Like the Hundreth Monkey Effect: when enough souls are aware of a certain concept, it is easier to tap into for all the other Souls.

I think this is also the way new paradigms in our societies come to life, and how science - especially quantum science - develops. I won't go into this now, because I would go too much off topic.

I also think we can pick up most easily on the 'waves' of people who are dear to us, and on those of famous persons, and that is why so many people identify themselves with those present and past 'celebrities' IMO.

Eevee

4. archival

archival Senior Registered

This is very interesting, Deborah! And I think it makes a great deal of sense.

Eevee, do you think there is a difference between the waves of those dear and close to us and those who are famous that we don't know? What I mean is what would be the nature of those waves of the famous? Would those waves be those of the famous individual or the amplified reflections of those waves, passed on through the society? You know, like ripples in a pond when they come in contact with an object and are reflected, changed a bit, but still existing? Or do you think that because they (famous people) are so 'present' so very here with their presence that we pick up on their waves, in a sense those famous individuals sending out larger vibrations (bigger than life and all that)? The whole idea of the collective understanding and memory is fascinating!

5. Eevee

Eevee Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi archival,

I think it can be both. Perhaps it is easier to pick up on the waves of someone who is 'all over the place' (like in the media). And it can also be, like you said, that it is like the reflection of ripples, or more specific, the more Souls tune in on the 'wavelength' of the famous person, the more it becomes 'available' or accessible for the rest of us.

Consciousness creates, so the Universal Consciousness is a Creative Force, IMO ever expanding (if that is possible) with every new thought that is 'sent' into it, creating new possibilies for thought combinations etc.

I also believe it is some Law of Nature that people tap into the UC all the time, without knowing it. And I also believe that when we become more spiritually conscious, we can learn to 'search' for the wavelength we WANT to connect with, like our own PL memories, or telepathic contact with our dear ones, or sending healing thoughts towards someone etc.

This is all just my opinion of course, put together from what I read (and could understand) about metaphysics and things like that. But since I am not a scientist, I don't dismiss the possibility that I am totally misunderstanding the concept, and that my theory will proove all wrong....but for the moment, it satisfies me.

Eevee

6. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

While this is possible, and who am I to contradict Deepak Chopra, I think there are other possible explanations for people identifying with famous people.

I know there is a certain type of 'mania' where people think they are or were a famous person. Cleopatra and Napoleon, are popular. I think this does not necessarily indicate any real past-life association (although it might of course). It could just be simple delusion (if there is such a thing) or just misunderstanding of what the person is experiencing and the whole past life memories process.

I was discussing reincarnation once with someone and he said he thought he might be the reincarnation of Ian Fleming because he has always liked reading James Bond books and the movies. I asked him if he had any memories that might indicate that, such as remembering being a writer or being in WWII and other elements of Fleming's life. He said no. I suggested it was hardly unusual to like James Bond (after all he is a very popular fictional character) and this was pretty flimsy evidence for such a claim. He had to concur. But, if he was talking to someone who understood the whole process less than I do, and he was a little bit less firm in his grip on 'reality' than he is (!) or had general psychiatric problems, the discussion may have come out quite differently.

Then there is the Jerusalem Syndrome: http://www.xprojectmagazine.com/archives/paranormal/jerusalemsyndrome.html where tourists (not all of them particularly religious either) begin to believe that they are Jesus, John the Baptist or one of the Marys. There is a whole hospital set up to deal with them. Usually when they leave Jerusalem they are all OK again. What is going on there? Is it something in the water? Is it just the 'vibe' of the place? I don't begin to know. It is unlikely to have anything to do with reincarnation though (in my view).

My personal belief about the 100th monkey effect (and the contents of Jung's archetypal unconscious for that matter) is that they can be explained by reincarnation.

Why could not the baby monkey who spontaneously began washing its food on a separate island be the reincarnation of one who died on the first island but retained the memory of this behaviour? I don't see why it should be so unlikely, since monkeys are so closely related to us, that they should reincarnate in a similar way to us and the very young retain memories at least for a while?

This is not to say there is no such thing as a cosmic consciousness, sharing of thoughts and so on. I agree with what Eevee has said:

But I think that there are other explanations for identification with famous people.

7. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

I should get hold of the book. It sounds very interesting Deborah.

8. Sherrilynn

Sherrilynn New Member

A very interesting point. My friend is a groupie always following a lead singer in a band. I swear she will think she was him based on her fixation with him. She knows more about his life than I think he does at times and she is in her 40's.

I also wonder how TV and movies will affect peoples recall in the future. Especially the characters they identify with now and may believe they lived it later.

9. Etheleona

Etheleona Green Almond Eyes

Yes. I do believe that such accessing, merging and recombination is possible -- in fact, I've done it myself. A few years back I began to sense a connection to a historical figure, and had the feeling that I could merge with him if I chose. I had the distinct awareness that I had a choice about it. I decided to say "yes". Since then, I've been gradually blending with his consciousness, acquiring new knowledge and awareness. The best way to describe it is that it's like getting a software upgrade. It's possible to transfer not only memories and thoughts, but also general knowledge, skills, talents, abilities, traits, habits, etc. All of these are just different patterns of information.

The Indian sage Patanjali wrote about this process over a thousand years ago in his Yoga Sutras. He called it samyana yoga: the practice of dissolving subject and object to become one with something, thus acquiring its qualities and properties. To practice this, you simply concentrate on one thing until you become completely absorbed in it -- a simple technique, but it does require time and patience. (I feel that I've had some past lives in India, so this concept seems very natural to me.)

In the twentieth century, parapsychologists in the Soviet Union developed a technique called "artificial reincarnation", in which a person is hypnotically regressed to the life of a famous person or genius in some field. The person then practiced their new personality's skills while under hypnosis. It was found that skills, abilities and talents could be acquired quickly -- and the new learning remained permanently after the person came out of hypnosis.

The self-help writer Napoleon Hill accessed the consciousness of nine different historical personalities, including his namesake, Napoleon Bonaparte. He was able to draw upon their knowledge for inspiration and problem-solving. He described this as "voluntary rebirth." Here is his fascinating account.

So, yes, it can be done. As for whether memories and experiences transferred in this manner are "really yours"... well, that depends on what you define as "really you". :) There are many different concepts of selfhood, both Western and non-Western. I personally regard soul and identity as very fluid, capable of splitting, merging, replicating, and recombining, much like DNA. So, the personality with which I am merging is as much a part of me as any other part.

fireflydancing likes this.
  10. Deborah

HI Etheleona,

I think merging with another individual is different than believing you were them.

I think Deepak Chopra's point should be taken into consideration when people point to famous past lives and important figures in history as being them.

I have seen people become so absorbed with the idea - that they were famous - they become lost; the quest for self is no longer at the center. Instead - it is a matter of being the center of attention.

That is not to say there are not verifiable famous past life cases. Each should be studied objectively and not granted authenticity without research. The fractured personality of the person claiming a famous PL usually surfaces when fabrication is the source.

11. GreenKnight

GreenKnight Senior Registered

Interesting thread!

I have a tremendous deal of interest in Thomas Jefferson, his life, his works, anything Jeffersonian is of interest to me.

I feel maybe I knew him, admired him and was influenced by him. But never once has it even crossed my mind that I was him. But that is just me. I can see how some people may become confused on the issue.

12. Natural Spirit

Natural Spirit New Member

Interesting thread. It makes sense though. If we are all energy, and it is always "out there", it would stand to reason that we could learn to "tune in" to another's energy, thoughts, experiences etc. :thumbsup:

13. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

I am not totally sure if this is what is being said.. but here goes an experience of mine.

I have been doing self regression for at least 15 years. One of my initial "memories" was of me having had my head chopped off. I knew it was in the time of King Henry and figured from my feelings I was Anne Bolyn.Now I had already had unfamous lives and I knew that regresison works purpose was to do some healing.. I did know it fit in with my personal feelings about men as I had a dream/past life which had been very violent also with men. involving incest.

I did not think alot further of this life and its ramifications had I actually been that famous person as I felt I had more important memroies to get at first before dealing with this..

I came back to it about 2 years later , and asked deeper questions of myself about it.. To see who else was with me etc.. In this memory I remembered being a child

of someone in the court of Henry. And I knew at that point that I had become so afraid of Henry that I identified strongly with ANne....

I now totally beleive I was not Anne Bolyn and that that thought came to me because of my strong underlying issue with men..plus an issue about trauma to my head wherein I died .. All combined together to make me identify stronlgy with ANne.. This phenomena was to my advantage as it did help me identify more strongly my depth of fear about my past as I did have a hard time this life identifying my feelings .. Anne's life and many TV programs etc about her became a way for me to gain perspective on the cultural issue of abuse to women in general. This helped me to see that I was not alone in my experiences of abuse by men and it really helped me gain perspective and healing.

So maybe in theory some people , like Anne Bolyn , do take on difficult lives that in history will remain in our minds and hearts forever --- ----a way of helping people through being a reminder of what possibly can happen...and that indeed it does happen to everyone.. I have found it sometimes difficult to really beleive the bad parts of human nature... learning about it through someone elses eyes makes it more easily beleivable..

soulfreindly

14. Ronit

Ronit New Member

At the age of 16 years old we recieved, at home, by mail, a reproduction of a brown etching showing a big cathedral by a river bank surrounded by ancient houses. The picture had stricken me as by lightning; without knowing why. I got a queer feeling as thought I knew the place. Somehow the streets by the river were familiar to me, without being there. I hung the picture in my room. My mother had asked me what was so special about the picture that I hung it among all the pop idols of the sixties. I had not explanation for that.

I was born in the late 40s, in Israel, to a Dutch mother and an Israeli father. Europe was for us, at that time, a far continent, nearly as far as a different planet.

On my 23 I had moved to the Netherlands. In that time I had realized I could understand German without learning the language. I took, in due course, German on a high school level. Knowledge of different languages was needed for my work. The teacher found it strange how quickly I mastered the language.

At the end a long evening study for secretaries, I had to pass an exam on verbal German. I had to listen to a tape and answer questions concerning the text. At some moment the teacher and an official examiner had asked me a question concerning the Weimar Republic (1918 1933). Something very odd had happened to me. It was as thought an invisible switch had remote control my present consciousness. I do not really know what had happened and I can not even remember what I had said.

As much as I know from my teacher, I had started a lecture on the subject with perfect very old fashion Prussian German ending by the election of 30th January 1933 when Hitler had gained power.

Both women did understand that something unnatural had happened during the examination. Something, that had even frightened them. It was as though I was in a trance. They gave me the highest note of both classes for a subject I did not know much about. Later on I took interest in the period and had read lot of books and publications on the time between the two World Wars .

I have no special talent learning new languages. It took me years to learn to write Dutch properly. French was a disaster and now I am busy with Danish and make a very slow progress.

By the way I came to know that the city I have seen on the reproduction is Vienna.

Someone had once told me that in very fast reincarnation the traces of former personality do not vanish totally. It's like having a half erased hard disc where traces of former data are still on it.

I hope to hear something about it from you.

Sincerely yours

Ronit

15. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Hello Ronit and welcome to the forum. :)

You share a very interesting story here - thank you for it. :thumbsup: Do you have any specific feeling towards Germany, Austria, Vienna or the WW-era? Do you remember having any dreams that could be from that lifetime?

I believe we can carry traits from our previous incarnations, but it depends on many things how strong they are. Maybe being born again quickly has something to do with it, but I'd personally vote for the influence of unfinished business and sudden death you weren't expecting - so that the soul (?) is still sometimes confused about which body it's inhabiting.

Are you interested in finding out more about this or your other past lives? Do you want to lear about reincarnation in general? If so, you have definitely come to the right place. Feel free to read through different sections, ask questions and participate in discussions. :)

Karoliina

16. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Hello Ronit - velkommen! :)

Thanks a lot for sharing your story - it was very intriguing. Have you had past life experiences before or after this, which could relate to a life in the Weimar republic?

Just out of curiousity, what has prompted you to learn Danish? :) It's not often I hear of people, who voluntarily wants to learn such a small and extremely difficult language ;)

17. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hello Ronit, Thanks for joining us. Your story is certainly very interesting. Do you have any inclinations about your situation? Who do you think you were?

Tinkerman

18. stardis

stardis Senior Registered

Being a Jungian, I agree with Eevee completely.

My opinion:

I just don't think that memories of an individual soul's lifetime are theirs and theirs alone. Perhaps, everyone's memories are available to be experienced by other souls. If that seems like a ridiculous idea, we have to remember that our current cultures have dictated to us what we believe and it really takes some courage to step outside the box and embrace new thoughts and new ways of thinking about the universe and reality. I think it is probably easy to tap into the universal consciousness and perhaps difficult to realize that you have done so, instead ascribing what comes to you as your own past life experience when it is just universal memory - freely available to everyone. Discerning the difference between real memory and universal memory may be a skill that we all must learn in order to function in society as a "normal" person. Studying yourself and how you think of yourself in relation to the outside world is an important step towards becoming an enlightened person. Knowing what is you and what is not you is critical in our development as a normal human being. I question everything I remember concerning past life memory and never accept the things that just pop into my head without a long and thoughtful review process about what it is possibly me and what is probably universal memory.

Also, Tanguerra makes an excellent point. It is just too easy to fool ourselves into thinking just about anything. Human beings are so malleable that we must always be on guard against emotional influences.

19. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I think this is important food for thought no matter what your situation is. And to echo stardis' thoughts, I often place things on a scale in my life. I say "this is either something I do, or it's something I am".

Things that "I am" are an integral part of my personality and character and thusly get the benefits of my personal attention and development.

Things that "I do" are simply that. But they are also more complicated to understand. There's things I have to do, such as go to work, and may not be fun all the time. And then there's things that I do that are fun and give me pleasure.

The latter I feel can be confused very easily for things that are "I am". This is why it's very important to me to be able to divide these things with a razor, because things that are enjoyable and in the "I do" category, can take time and energy from my "I am" category and actually stunt it's development, which is me as a person.

To bring this full circle, when I wasn't really making any ground on my past lives research, I put it in the "I do" pile, simply because I had to focus on work, family and such.

But once I started making ground using this same objective analysis, it put it into the "I am" pile. I felt that there was enough connection, emotions and other things to warrant more of my attention on it, because doing the research has helped me understand myself, the issues I face in this life as well as my family and it's been beneficial to me in ways that medicine and therapy never have been. Overall, it's contributed to the development of my "self".

20. starrynight

starrynight Senior Registered

I find what he says interesting & it makes some sense to me.

I've often thought of the increase in population & how the soul begins.

Could we all be incarnated back to just afew souls from the beginning?

I have read about twin souls, where souls choose two lives to experience something in different ways. Often this can be one as an animal & can represent that extra close animal human bond but it can be as two separate people also.

I can take this on board & yes it would explain so many people believing they're incarnated from the same person.

As for famous incarnations, I found it easy to fall into the trap to start with.

One connection I have is with the Brontes. It's been around a long time, before I got pl dreams dreams. It made sense to me at first to think I must have been one of the family. Now I'm further on I understand it's just a connection in some way.

Whether I knew the family, went to the same school, lived near them or was friends in some way. I've yet to work out the connection but I think they are a clue or pointer not the answer.

Also my friend who isn't really that spiritual believes she has the spirit of another famous writer with her. This isn't as random as it might sound, as she's worked for many years in the house she lived in. She is under no illusion that she is the incarnation but believes her spirit is with her sometimes & encouraging her to continue an art degree she gave up on years ago. After discussing this we both believe this independent woman could be working her magic for many of the women that pass through where she lived. I've felt a positive feeling when I've visited & been much more focussed on what I should be doing.

It could be easy to get this mixed up though & think "Oh I must be.."

21. dking777

dking777 Senior Registered

The only other 'near-death experiencer' that touched on something I have a memory of giving testimony of as a child is Nanci Danison. (

) She speaks of 'obsorbing' the life experience of other spirits as if she herself were living the lives of others. (Nanci also gives testimony of reincarnation as a fact of her experience.)
    Many NDE'ers speak of the life review process and how, during the life review - you point of view switches from your individual point of view to point of view of others who your shared any experience with. In the crossing over stage (which Nanci speaks about) there is a point where you are greeted by other spirits and my memory (as a child) of this was remarkable. I gave testimony of this to my parents - and this - more than anything was what got my parents confused about my own personal testimony of reincarnation.

Nanci states one thing which I recall stating as a child. 'You know the difference.' As a child, I couldn't understand why my parents didn't know the difference when I spoke of the process. I thought everyone had access to the same process I had 'memories' of my childhood NDE's.

My Mom was a very harsh critic against 'reincarnation' and when I was a teenager - she used my testimony about this sort of 'absorbing' the life memories of others as 'ammunition' against my testimony of reincarnation. What she had heard me say as a child - and what I said where two different things but her idea of it was - that our 'memories' were like TV signals that were an open broadcast on the other side - and that anyone could tune into it. That was the final straw for me. I felt my Mom had used my own words against me. I never spoke to her about reincarnation again.

During a 'vivid' spiritual experience, such as Nanci speaks of and what I recall having as a child - your spirit is in a 'state of mind' where it knows the difference. Coming back into the 'human mind' you blend back into the confusion, delusion and 'unknowing' mind. I started calling them 'touchbacks.' Where I would 'touchback' on memories of the 'knowing mind' while I was being led by the 'unknowing' mind. It was too hard for me to try and make 'sense' of the memories I had for my own self. (Much less trying to give testimony of others and having their confusion mix things up even worse for me.)

On another thread - I mention the fact that you can 'speak' with any soul or spirit. If you wanted to talk to George Washington to see what he had on his mind when he was crossing the Delaware - you would be able to access his 'entire' life time and experience every single thought and emotion from birth to death. You would be able to experience it as if you lived his entire life. (As a child, I remarked "You will know exactly what it was like to wipe your behind in the shoes of another man.") I was trying to convey to my parents - there were absolutely no secrets on the other side.

I am a little more understanding of my Mom's skeptical mind now, because of the theme of this thread. Is it possible for an 'unknowing' mind to have a 'touchback' to the knowing mind of spirit and get confused about their 'past life' identity?

I don't know.

Sincerely,

DKing

22. Deborah

Anyone else read Deepak Chopra's book Life After Death - the burden of proof? Thoughts about the following?

23. shadowsofmypast

shadowsofmypast Senior Registered

What I believe is our soul is one giant
    jigsaw puzzle not tiny pieces .
    like Mosaic . it's rather absurd to think that
    we all have parts of crazed lunatic like Napoleon
    or Hitler as part of our souls .

I would like to believe that damaged
    souls like above never comeback .
    What would be a reason? I mean I've done
    bad things in my past lives but not on a grand scale
    of destruction as those people did.

24. firebird

firebird Registered User

Not all people making such claims are deluded, or intentionally set out to lie ... yes, there are some 'really off the beaten path' folk, BUT sometimes it's just a case of the individual not making sense of their memories and reaching - or jumping to - the wrong conclusion. I agree though, that, if the correct Napoleon stepped forward, they would probably have some 'evidence'. His life was so well documented, so how could the individual not produce evidence.

On the first point:

- It is my view that SOME souls do divide/split their energy to experience simultaneous reincarnations, but the number of divisions/fragments is extremely - EXTREMELY - low. While it's possible this is what 'may have' occurred in the cases of the American tribe and Japanese children referenced above, I believe it is an advanced soul that would consider dividing itself into 6 fragments, which I understand is at the upper limit.

- Sometimes people wrongly mistake a memory as their own past life experience, when the reality is they were present but in some other capacity (this may also be an explanation for the memories in the 2 cases listed above). For any number of reasons, sometimes the memory, of another soul's life, is a result of having viewed/reviewed this other soul's life experience, when on the other side ... then this 'memory' is recalled while earthbound, but wrongly assigned as that individual's own life experience. .... And what of those individuals who are strongly fixated with others in life - how will these memories transfer over in their following life?

On the second point:

- He speaks about MEMORIES blending and becoming absorbed, but NOT the soul blending and becoming absorbed. When in the spirit world, souls do become interested in examining the lives of others, esp. the lives of famous people (like Napoleon). Sometimes it is for learning purposes, and other times it's just plain old curiosity. ... Then while earthbound, these 'memories' are sometimes recalled, and some individuals assume incorrectly.

---

When all an individual has is just a memory, care needs to be taken before making a claim.

25. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

I believe anyone delving into this line of inquiry is drawing conclusions from their assertions...that is all they have...the compilation of what they've found and their proposed meaning behind it. We each assemble our own list of posits which feel right and we draw conclusions from them to form our own world view...just because we believe them doesn't make them true...likewise, it doesn't make them false.

Further, belief of any sort is based in faith...even if it is faith in one's scepticism, in one's high level of discernment, or the idea that science has and can provide an adequate explanation...just like when the sun revolved around the earth.

As for Deepak Chopra...I didn't see his comments as hard and fast assertions, but rather the entire book provided his view into what he thinks about the particular topic...I got no sense of any challenging and definitive statement of fact....just his postulations on that topic which might resonate for some and maybe not for others. What's more, why would anyone expect anything they pick up at a bookstore to hold the secrets to our universe...to provide us the answers to humanity's greatest questions? To me, each view into another's world view holds some truths, some new thoughts and some things which don't work for me...to expect anything else is a great waste of time to me.

26. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

Since I haven't read this particular book by Chopra, I am unable to comment on it's contents. In his other books, he is not known for making wild assertions, nor attempting to deceive anyone. The reincarnation community has no "hard proof" that would convince skeptics. As Ustawuz said so beautifully, "Belief of any sort is based in faith." You have done me a great service, KDB. Before you came to the forum, I didn't realize how much faith I really have. Thank you. It's a bit of a "Christmas Miracle". :)

27. MaritaMari

MaritaMari Senior Registered

Reincarnation should not be the matter of fait or belief. If something happens, than there are some completely natural occurrences behind it that we, unfortunately, do not know.

The reason why reincarnation should not stay in the realm of faith is that, apart from following the rules of Nature, it affects every single one of us in a very profound way, knowingly or unknowingly. We come to this world with phobias, likes and dislikes that possibly stem from our pls. The essence of our being was formed during all those lives that we lived. If we can somehow prove that reincarnation is real, than it would be much easier to come to the roots of our psychological, emotional and even physiological problems and heal them.

If, on the other hand, it is proven that reincarnation does not exist, it will be of great importance as well, because then we will focus on discovering what really lies behind our "memories", phobias, etc. Dr Moody in his book "Life After Life" makes a good point saying that it is equally important to know if there is no soul, just matter, because then we would be able to cure psychological problems with more material things, rather than counseling.

We must be open-minded but at the same time retain healthy skepticism.

28. MaritaMari

Experts are usually never listed, and when they are it sounds more like South Park's History Channel :)

29. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

Well, it would be great if it could be proven, or not. How do you propose to do it? Do you have a soul DNA test, that no one else knows about? Please do share. Until then, I prefer to have faith. Things do set off my "fraud alarm" occasionally, but I give the benefit of the doubt when I can, especially to other forum members. ;)

30. MaritaMari

I don't have any proof, obviously, and have no idea how it would be proven. It's interesting that you mentioned DNA, because I was wondering if anyone actually did a DNA test between someone and their alleged pl personality. I think it would be very interesting to see what would they find... I know it's a body, but who knows... maybe soul does leave some trace of being in the body in the form of a DNA or something. After all, it seems we do tend to look similarly from life to life.