• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Red Letter Day! LOL!

Shiftkitty

Wow! I finally saw a current life family member in a possible PL vignette! I was researching medieval clothing for a gaming project I've got going on and I drifted off to an unrelenting nap. (I blame the warm kitty on my lap.) I soon saw in my mind's eye an old man, a merchant of middling success. From his style, I want to say this is the very late middle ages. He's seated in a chair and seems lost in a sad thought. His face is very drawn, his eyes sad with heavy lids, he's got a lot on his mind and none of it is very comforting. I am his daughter. He was advanced in age when I was born. I'm in a yellow dress and full of playfulness. I am the antithesis to what he is now. As he is staring off into nothingness and feeling the weight of his worries, I have a scrap of paper and a charcoal drawing stick. I am drawing an exaggerated caricature of him. I am still quite young, but I am told I have a talent for drawing beyond my years. When I am done I run up to him and climb into his lap, showing him the caricature. His worried frown turns into a laughing face and he hugs me tightly.

As I watched this scene unfold, I felt quite deeply that my father in that life was also my father in this life. The bond I felt between us in that dream was the same bond I felt when I was maybe 4 or 5. He'd wake me up early on Sunday mornings and we'd sneak out to Spivey's Restaurant in San Jose, where he'd drink his morning "cup of joe"and have a cigarette while I ate my pancakes with "poison-berry syrup" (boysenberry) and prattled on about all the adventures I was going to have that day.

Spivey's, like my dad, is no longer with us. It was good to see that he was no passing stranger to my spirit. We were described by many people as two peas in a pod even as I became a teenager and turned to punk rock, chains, and leather jackets. My father, my friend.

And I still love pancakes with poison-berry syrup!

BriarRose

Senior Registered
Those are great memories, Shiftkitty - both sets! You got more confirmation that he'll be in your life again one day.

Shiftkitty

I am a chronic doodle-bug in this life. I sketched as close as I could to the drawing I had done, calling it forth from memory. Of course, I had to use ball-point pen, but if I can figure out the scanner I'll try to post it. It's very cartoonish, and no matter how hard I try most of my drawings turn into cartoons!

saywhat I have figured out the scanner!!!)

starrynight

Senior Registered
I have so been american at sometime. Pancakes for breakfast! I used to get bacon sandwiches-never really did it for me!

Seriously is a lovely scene. Don't be surprised if you find other lives. I think I've had more with my mother than anyone else. You must have bonded on a soul level.

As for the punk scene, just missed it but like the music.

starrynight

Senior Registered
Yeh, bacon, lettuce, tonatoe. I thought they were just an english thing though. Fried breakfast is sort of more northern than southern britain.

Shiftkitty

Meh, I'm a hard-core Yank and BLTs just aren't my thing either. Everybody I know loves them, but I just don't care for tomatoes, and lettuce belongs in a salad.

Sister Grey

Senior Registered
LOL BLT's are good as long as you hold the lettuce and tomatoes, IMO.

Actually BLT's with just the T, no B or L are good, too. :laugh:

Shiftkitty

Throw on some turkey and I believe you have what's called a "California Club" sandwich.

Dang it, now I'm all hungry! LOL!

It would be nice to have another vision like the one with my dad. He worked hard all his life but wasn't very money-smart. Awesome opportunities slipped away from him because he seemed afraid to act. I wonder if he wasn't, on some level, remembering the merchant and the knowledge that with wealth comes responsibility. While he was alive this last time, though, he seemed determined to teach us how to survive on next to nothing, which was how we lived for a few years, just one late payment away from being homeless. (Ever eat out of dumpsters? Go for the ones behind the gourmet restaurants. They toss out a lot of good food! On the crummy side, we were eating out of garbage cans. On the up side, it was the only time I've ever had caviar!) He knew business. He understood business, but he seemed to not want to take on the burden. Maybe there's some insight there as to what was bothering him back then?

Lady2

Senior Registered
Great memory shiftkitty! Memories really stick with you when you can place a person in your past life with a person in your current one. Neat that you could remember your drawing so clearly too.