Reincarnation "evidence"

Discussion in 'SCIENTIFIC and ANECDOTAL research' started by Kristopher, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

Im wondering what you have come across that you would label as the best piece of evidence to support reincarnation. Maybe it was a case study of a child's past life, or perhaps something that has happened to you, personally. Whatever it is, I would love to hear it. :D

2. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

For me, I was doing my own psychic readings for a while and it occurred to me that whom ever i was receiving messages from may have been my spirit guide; of which I had heard about from a friend earlier. So I decided to ask and after a few false starts I quickly found out that it was my father from my previous life I was talking to.

Rather quickly, what I was sensing was a great insecurity along with the message that now that I found out who he was, I wouldn't want to speak to him anymore.

I tried to assure him that this was a new life and that I have forgiven him for whatever had happened (let alone not even remembering it).

I had also asked him if people can reincarnate, why hadn't he? his reply was that he really felt guilty about what had happened and he decided to stay behind to watch over me.

A couple weeks later I was able to track down an passage from a book about my previous life that had been posted on a blog that I had to translate from Chinese. In it, it detailed some of the relationship between her and her father, along with some of their exchanges and one of them quite bluntly said that she cursed her father and blamed him for ruining her life. I think she was quite obviously referring to the marriage she was forced into.

Since then, I've been convinced utterly convinced of the whole thing and the ability of loved ones and people to move around us from out there somewhere, as well as reincarnate.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Although the two best examples of what have become the best evidence of Reincarnation for me are Ian Stevenson and Carol Bowman, I have to honestly say that no one thing alone has ever convinced me of anything. It is, rather, many things combined that have provided a clear parallax view of things that would normally seem impossible. My personal trust that Reincarnation is a real process comes from sources too numerous to detail, but I can say that it is a combination of logic, knowledge and experience with life, anecdotes and even science.

Logic implies that, one life alone is too short an experience to give any meaning to life. Knowledge and experience with life has taught me that people are sometimes able to know things they were never taught during this lifetime. Anecdotal case histories by Dr Ian Stevenson, Carol Bowman and others are too credible to be ignored. And, scientific research has provided too much evidence of extrasensory phenomenon which provide a healthy foundation for Reincarnation.

Some may find it interesting that I have left out Religion as one of the many influences for my own belief. Although I don't wish to diminish anyone's faith, I also feel strongly that religious dogma is more about politics and the control of populations, and has seriously retarded philosophical and academic freedom to explore and discover the nature of our universe. Religion may have valuable moral lessons in matters of human behavior, but in my humble opinion it has no legitimate role in the validation of Reincarnation. A possible exception, however, lies in Buddhism, which I consider to be more of a philosophy than a religion.

4. Delonada

Delonada Senior Registered

Most religions started on a spiritual guidance and included benign life lessons, but through the ages they have evolved to become tools for control. Even Buddhism has not escaped humanity's desire for control. Perhaps the most blatant editing of Christianity happened when the gnostic christians were wiped out by the church.

As Alan Watts puts it regarding Christianity, its current incarnation is one that condemns you more or less for having entered this world as if your physical body is somehow unclean. Religion nowadays always has some methodical system of punishment, whether that be hell or reincarnation as something lower than you are. Even the word karma has been subverted to often mean punishment for your past crimes, when karma simply means action and reaction.

I know skeptics will find everything wrong with Stevenson's works, but that is because they have decided that reincarnation is impossible beforehand(they follow a philosophical path called naive realism). Regardless I'd say Stevenson's work is perhaps the biggest evidence out there. It may not be proof, but it is evidence nonetheless, and to elaborate on it further even Carl Sagan admitted that the research intrigued him.

5. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

Totally agree!

6. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

The search for a purpose to life has sent me into a belief in reincarnation. Combine that search with events I have experienced and synchronistic opportunities which enabled me to move, almost effortlessly, in a direction I had previously chosen. The surprising "chance" meetings of people who, from out of nowhere, become dear friends and places I visit which are as familiar as my own backyard...all of it speaks to me as if I am living the middle chapters of a book, still being written by my soul. I get snippets from the earlier chapters and somehow my character was formed in those previous segments. I currently progress through a loosely outlined script free to develop my character in the here and now, all the while creating threads of future story lines and upcoming chapters slated for later release...some in this lifetime, others at later dates.

To me the evidence is everywhere.

7. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

The law of conservation of energy and the idea that the soul is energy.

8. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

There are many out there who have put together their research, Brian Weiss, Barbara Lane, plus as already mentioned - Carol Bowman & Ian Stevenson, who have some pretty strong cases.

But personally, I think the best 'evidence' are your own experiences, for they are undeniable and you know you didn't make them up. It's hard to come up with 'proof/evidence' that is strong enough to convince someone to believe in reincarnation who hasn't had - on some level - experiences of there own.

9. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

Wonderful comment. I feel personal belief is much more valid than any organized religion's dogma, no matter how sincerely its followers believe the dogma.

The best evidence for me is the one past life I know of for certain, and numerous others that I have had some echoes of.

10. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

My childhood dreams of being in a body that was way too old for me (compared to a child).

The first time I had the dream as a RAF pilot in WWII, I realized that the feelings from the body felt really different.

My feet and hands were too big, for one thing and I had trouble occupying that Adult body because it felt so clumsy to me.

Yet in spite of all these problems, I KNEW that this body had belonged to me, at some time of another.

And to mention this, even as a young child, I knew the difference between a “Nightmare” dream, a normal “Work out my Problems” dream and a "Past Life" dream.

So I guess, the best evidence for me has always been my dreams.

11. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

That has been good evidence for me as well hydrolad. I have done and seen things in my dreams that I do not know how to do in this life.

I remember my brother at three & a half years old seriously explaining to dad the stratagies of medieval seige warfare, why castles were designed the way they were, and how the seige he was in resulted. At that age, there was no way he knew any of that, or know the vocabulary he used, which was enough proof that since then dad has believed in reincarnation, even though he really doesn't have any experiences of his own.

12. dking777

dking777 Senior Registered

I have had different stages as far as belief is concerned. I had the 'thing' with the disassociation at the age of 18 and a relapse at the age of 19. From the age of 18 back to childhood - all my personal experiences with reincarnation got buried. Now that I have sight of the whole of my life again - there are two instances that stand out clearly.

I grew up 'knowing' that I had a past life. There was no doubt in my mind. My parents and family tried to put doubt in place with their 'disbelief.'

The first instance was meeting my 'mate' from the past life at the age of 14. We both shared the same 'memories' of that past life together. I had been a 'warrior' and there was a battle that haunted me - in that life as well as in this life. It wasn't belief for either of us as much as it was 'shared knowledge.' So meeting another person who shared the same memories of a past life with me - was profound. I knew then - that my parents, family and the rest of the world - were in denial of the truth.

The second instance was at the age of 18. I moved to another city and attended a block party. Another young man my age walked up to me and said, "You killed me." Everyone sort of made them self scarce as we spoke about the memory that overwhelmed both of us at the same time. He had been a 'warrior' in the battle that had haunted me as a child and from the past life. In my past life - I had slain him on the battlefield. We both 'knew' without a doubt what we were talking about concerning the past life we had shared together on a battlefield. We shook hands and there was an element of forgiveness that solved my nightmares. I was able to finally put that past life memory to rest.

So - those two instances of meeting two people who had their own past life memory of the same period where we had shared a part of that life together was the cement that put my 'knowledge' in place - until I had a relapse and memory loss. Every thing got buried in the subconscious and I had to start over as far as my own personal belief. It was as if the chalkboard had been erased and I had to start over.

Now that I am recovering those lost and hidden memories again - those two instances prove reincarnation beyond any reasonable doubt for me.

DKing

13. usetawuz

I wish someone would come up to me and say "You killed me!" Of course, I would probably not handle it very well as I have lived what one reader charcterized as a "classic white-bread life". Thank you for your comments, DKing...I strive for the clarity and equanimity with which you both see these experiences and describe them.

14. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

Aside from my own ongoing journey with its unique discoveries - I would have to say that it was a discussion I had with another walk-in soul. The body she was going to enter into was hooked up to medical equipment (it was undergoing a surgery) and this 'soul exchange' was, in a sense, 'recorded'. Right before she entered into the body, she told me that the medical equipment was going berserk. This surgery that the body was having was to be a 4 hr surgery, but it took 7 hrs. So - I do feel that there is a way to 'capture' such an experience using medical equipment and also paranormal equipment - it's just knowing when.

15. Ignotus

Ignotus Senior Registered

Honestly, I just knew it was real, and my religion believes in it so no one ever dismissed it. If people can't reincarnate then seriously, what are we living for? and Hell would be really crowded, honestly. My belief is strengthen when I read Ian Stevenson's work and the Leningers. I have met some people which I connected with and my nightmares reassure me time and time again of things I did.

I also came across a newspaper article saying a high monk who died (Bless him) reincarnate into a newborn. It was interesting because he managed to give a surname of the family and his next life name he was going to reincarnate into and sure enough it was there a few weeks later.

16. Delonada

Delonada Senior Registered

I wouldn't say it is a good indication of "evidence", but when I met my girlfriend 2 months ago we had a lot of common threads, and even memories that seemed to fit too well to ignore. Mind you, common threads and memories would be hard for us as I am born and raised in Iceland whereas she is American and has lived there all her life. However, since she was a kid she'd had this strong pull towards Iceland for some mystical reason and even learned Icelandic(which is where I came in as I was to help her with the nuances of the language).

17. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

I'm in 100% agreement with you Nightrain. :thumbsup:

I do have personal experiences that have impacted me too. They are, by no means, 'proof' of anything. I'm sure a healthy skeptic could dismiss them as coincidence or my mind creating something that isn't there, but it carries some weight with me.

The first time I did a regression I had some pretty detailed memories come through that felt very real. In spite of that, I was quite sure that it was the work of my imagination, and I simply made the whole thing up. Afterwards, I couldn't get any of it out of my mind so I started to do some research on what I remembered, and to my complete shock, the things that I remembered where checking out as factual. I knew things that I did not consciously know. It didn't proove anything but it stopped my skeptical mind dead in it's tracks. The moment that really got me was recalling a past life execution, I remembered a date and a name attached to it. I looked it up and found an actual record of that execution taking place. The name and the date checked out. I found a record of my own execution. e!e That one was pretty hard to ignore and satisfied any doubt that there was at least some validity to what I was remembering.

18. thephilosopher

thephilosopher Senior Registered

I think a reading of "The Soul Survivor" should be enough to convince all except the most hardened cynics.

19. horsedoc

horsedoc New Member

For me personally, I felt my past life regression was so real and vivid, that it could not have been just my 'imagination'. I cried (which as a man lol isnt too often) alot during my regression, and felt true happiness.

Yet as somewhat skeptical to if it was 'real', some things really stood out.

In my immediate past life I was a soldier in Vietnam. That life was truly tragic, and in my death scene I died with a friend. He was African American and I was white. I did a lot of research based on what I said during the regression, as far as which unit I was in and where I was in Vietnam. I possibly found a match of two soldiers that died at the same time from the same unit, one white the other African American, under similar circumstances.

The other really 'ah ha' moment was my life memory as a Crow Indian. Prior to the regression, I had no knowledge of the Crow. I would have thought if it was my imagination I would have said more popular tribes like the Sioux, Apache, Comanche. Yet I relived my life as a Crow,and clearly felt the feeling of pressure from other tribes encroaching on our lands as the 'white man' kept pushing west. My death scene was when we were attacked by the Blackfeet Indians. Who?? I never heard of them, and the fact that they were lifelong enemies and neighboring tribes just solidified my experience.

I am sure a skeptic can just dismiss this as my subconscious, but they will never convince me this was not real. The experience made me a true believer. Yet a tiny part of me always wonders if it was true.

20. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Hi Horsedoc, and a warm welcome to the Forum.

I spent several months during my present lifetime in Quang Ngai province, Vietnam while with the 11th Light Infantry Brigade, Americal Division during 1967-68. If you wish to talk, feel free to PM me about your memories. Maybe I can help, somehow.

21. alienstyle

alienstyle New Member

Perhaps, meditation is the best evidence for reincarnation.

And yet I'm in support of empirical research. Because it keeps up with the Zeitgeist. (This German word means: Time-spirit i.e. the tendency of the time.)

The Ancient Indians - - as far as I know - - didn't conclude it ONLY from the cases of the Jatiswars. [The Indian word for the 'Persons remembering a past life']

22. alienstyle

alienstyle New Member

In fact, after extraordinary meditation, an adult could also become a Jatiswar - according to Ancient India. The person would achieve the capacity to recall the past life just as those children did spontaneously in the research area of Stevenson.

I haven't had 'much' reference to the spontaneous Jatiswar cases in Ancient India, so far as I've studied personally & listened to the seniors about my country's history, religion & philosophy.

23. rationalcat

rationalcat New Member

Although I'm new to this topic, and don't yet have any absolutely confirmed PL details, it was personal experience that convinced me there was something to it.

I had several dreams and memories something that happened a very long time ago. However, when I had these dreams, any research I did could not confirm anything - the places I dreamed about didn't even seem to exist in history, not that I could find, and I felt I must have made them up entirely in my imagination.

Then, over 20 years later, when doing another search on the topic - I found two of the locations I had dreamed about, exact matches to my memory, and my own drawings and journaling from my youth. However, these sites? Had been buried when I dreamed of them, and weren't discovered or excavated until 2004 and 2006. These sites also revealed cultural practices and technology previously thought not to exist in the region, but that I had dreamed about pre-1990. This, to me, is probably the most compelling personal proof I have seen. While I hope to feel more sure of my beliefs after researching this topic, I think this may be the single most convincing piece of evidence I am ever likely to personally see.

24. usetawuz

...until the next blockbusting revelation! The more you allow yourself to see, the more you'll find. Enjoy the journey!