• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

same soul, multiple bodies

cloud potato

Senior Registered
not limited to past lives, sometimes i see a familiarity in two different people currently incarnated. sometimes a young person and an old person give the feeling they're the same soul living different lives. is it just the heart recognizing itself ... ?

Last edited:
if we identify with the body that experiences time and space linearly we must think it irrational for the soul to exist in more than one body at the same time... but if you believe in reincarnation you also believe the soul exist outside a body that is bound to birth, mutation and decay. maybe it is a mistake to think of the soul as distinct as the forms that it speaks through.

Hi Cloud Potato,

I don't think I understand your line of thinking. Are you talking about a kind of dual existence?
Personally, I don't work with this kind of hypothesis. This doesn't mean that I say it is impossible.
I think that as soon as persons identify themselves with their names and their personality and their personal experiences, I consider them legitimate individuals.
Of course, sometimes you meet people who remind you of other people. In my opinion, they are the same 'type' of people, perhaps the same 'frequency' or the same soul group, or something like that.

I've got the feeling that you refer to something else but I don't know what.

hi firefly, you know i value your candor. i'm always happy when you reply and i'm most grateful to have a place to contemplate and bare my curios and naive mind.
i am describing one existence amidst dual existence.
though i think this quote says it best,
'My consciousness has never associated itself with this temporary body. Before I came on this earth 'I was the same'. As a little girl 'I was the same'. .......... Ever afterward, though the dance of creation change around me, in the hall of eternity 'I shall be the same'. ------Sri Ma'
today i had been thinking on the soul. what started this post was that i saw a familiarity as you've described it between two people. certainly they are valid and unique expressions, though i don't think it necessary to complicate soul vs spirit. i think there are bodies and there is the soul. for me this explains soul group, twin flames, soul mates. but why stop there? because eventually, beneath the bodies, there is one. in my digging for this, i am disassociating from the immediate personality which is causing me to question and see reality differently- thinking that is not founded upon a bodies understanding.
we read these things, know and believe these things but then we experience it and it was only for a moment but i am reminded how identified or attached i am with this current incarnation. because of this i don't dare say i know someone- this is evidence that i barely know my self. but with my original post my heart feels that these two are the same, underneath it all.

Hi Cloud Potato !

These 2 different people living at the same time, in the same world/dimension, knowing each other even, being of the same soul make me think of what a person I think I knew in my past life believed in as well. I hope I have understood you right ?

/Jaimie

'My consciousness has never associated itself with this temporary body. Before I came on this earth 'I was the same'. As a little girl 'I was the same'. .......... Ever afterward, though the dance of creation change around me, in the hall of eternity 'I shall be the same'. ------Sri Ma'
`

i am disassociating from the immediate personality which is causing me to question and see reality differently

I think it's always very important to keep on honoring the different realms of existence and their respective 'laws'. To me, this is the biggest mistake people can make regarding spirituality, especially the ones that start to experience crossing the borders.
Once again, I am in no position to say you are right or wrong about two persons being the same soul. In fact, my personal motto is: 'Anything (you can imagine) is possible'.

The problems start when people think they perceive insights from a higher perspective and feel the urge to apply these to plain daily life (often called 3D). I am talking in general, not just to you. ;)

As I write down these words, a fountain of examples pops up in my head. Let's start with Mrs. Sri Ma.
When I read these words, I sense a lot of 'Air' energy (astrologically speaking). This is not enthusiastic 'Fire', no emotional 'Water', no grounding 'Earth'. (Hey, I don't know who she is, just analyzing those words). So, first of all, I sense her earthly personality. Then, she mixes with semantics. I understand what she is saying but I don't agree with her choice of words. In daily life, the pronoun I is used to direct to our persona, plain and simple the person we are today in this world. Of course, you can deliberately ignore the common rules of 3D existence... but it's a small example of how things easily get mixed up leading to confusion.
I think she was referring to something as 'my essence'.
Philosophically, I also disagree with her. To me, the idea that anything (material or immaterial) remains a constant factor is impossible. Including our Higher Selves, they are evolving as well (through us, we are their materialized extensions and our bodies are just an expression of our H.S.).
I honestly think that when we ignore our bodies, we ignore the very 'point' of being alive in a body. It's highly 'spiritual' to consciously live the flesh-experience and to undergo the laws of life on Earth.
And yes, it's always about finding a certain kind of balance between total materialism and total detachment. Either extreme is useless for interesting soul growth.

Btw, it's very interesting to read or hear the stories of people who got 'enlightened' during their life. For a short period of time, they experienced broadened consciousness and then with a smile they return and pick up their life. :)

hi jaimie, yes pretty much but the two people i am referring to in the initial post don't know each other.

hi ms. firefly
no ignoring here. i am describing both as truth. she(anandamayi ma)is describing an experience both change and changeless. no distinct form is being ignored, no laws being discredited. she is beautiful, here's her picture.
anandamayi_ma_blissful.jpg

they way i see it is that forms exist in other realms too, they are types of bodies that cover the soul. like the astral body. beneath the bodies is the soul. again, the two people i am referring to live separate lives, valid expressions of the one soul.

i am a believer in the ten sufi principles and the expression that says although we may walk a different path we arrive at the same destination. if you find yourself in disagreement with my speculation that's all fine and dandy. :) i'm not here to twist arms but to contemplate the nature of the soul and the feelings in the heart. this would also account for my dreams with experiencing through the eyes of others, somehow connecting to the one force that is responsible for all variety.

Last edited:
I find her interesting. I did my 'research' after your last post because I didn't know her. I read several internet sources, watched a few videos and I think this one above captured very interesting things. I even thought I captured her energy now and then what helped me to a better understanding.

(I am highly allergic to guru's, devotees, and the smell of holiness, so as preparation I taped my big mouth shut with some ducktape and I jumped into her life and teachings. I couldn't shut down my analytical brain, so all the way I made a lot of observations. To my pleasant surprise, she really touched my intuitive side. Maybe I had brief contact with her energies, which I don't find impossible when one sincerely tries to make contact with the essence of the person amid all the distracting information.)

So, I hope you don't consider me going off-topic (as it's not about the same soul in two bodies) when I share some of my observations about our lady-in-white. ;)

First of all, I have to admit she does make a distinction between different perceptions of 'I'. When she referred to her essence, she used the word 'I' and when she talked about her persona, she would call it 'my body'.

Then, very quickly, I thought she was the pure embodiment of 'Shakti', pure female energy (although genderless because men share this energy as well). This was very interesting to me and so many questions popped up in my head that I tried to get answered while going through videos and texts.
She really gained my respect in this session when she was asked about the origins of the song she recommends during meditations. She took a lot of effort to tell about her experience about the young boy murmuring these words ( I understood perfectly what she was trying to communicate) and all those people around her didn't stop asking the 'wrong' questions until she refused to explain further and that didn't stop those people from insisting even more. This was such a great example of the clash between female and male energies. Intuition vs (useless) intellect. She didn't get angry, only made some sharp jokes with a friendly laugh. She was explaining non-dualism to a bunch of crows that were eager to pick seeds of their like, not the seeds she was offering. She was incredibly strong in just laughing and not entering their field.

So, yes, I like her. Thank you, @cloud potato for introducing her. I will definitely study her more.

The current and modern mindset that people get programmed with these days is very linear and in the box but reality often contrasts with that so getting to the chase it is the norm for there to be multiple concurrent incarnations at a given time with the veil being enough to keep us from being aware except on rare occasions. There is some that time to time trickles through mostly in the form of dreams, flashes, and some strong emotions with little to explain for which most just dismiss and go on with life.

thanks firefly, i respect your individuality. when i look at ma, well, she goes straight to my heart and my spine.

hi there and back again, i couldn't agree more. i am happy to have these moments... gods soul, being able to interact with all of life, is amazing. that day i was contemplating, by chance, a golden starred balloon happened to cross my vision being carried away by the wind.
:)

The soul can split and too many many many aspects all running concurrently at the same time when you take away the linear ideology and look at it from the sole perspective there is no reason why you couldn't incarnate as 2,3 or more individual bodies at the same time I don't see any reason why on a quantum level that couldn't actually happen

well, another beautiful coincidence today.
i read, "God has made only one soul - forms are many"
Anonymous
and this,
"just as the artist can be detected in his paintings, the musician in his music so can god be detected in humanity."
Inayat Khan

and this too,
"When the soul is identified with Spirit, it feels itself as one with the Joy of limitless space; when the soul, as ego, limits itself to a particular body, it is pitiably 'cabin'd, cribb'd, confin'd.' The soul, identified with the body, loses its consciousness of omnipresence and becomes identified with the trials and misfortunes of a small ego.
As the ordinary mans consciousness dwells in the brain and heart, so God's consciousness dwells in the universe; as human consciousness is felt in every cell of the body, so God's intelligence dwells in every cell-unit of space. The devotee who is constantly responsive to bodily sense gratifications is unable to spread his consciousness into the space cells and thus share the vaster joys of the Space-Dweller, or Spirit."
Yogananda

Do you mean by that we are ALL sharing the same soul? Do I understand this right?

VERY interesting thought. And who knows... would explain why some individuals/forms/aspects can connect to others who are thousands of miles away. Would be like in quantum physics where one particle goes to several places at once, and each particle seems to "know" what the others are doing.

I usually prefer not to believe in parallel lives, but I have to admit that in a way it DOES make sense.

I don't know about it being the exact same soul but when I met my soulmate we both sensed we were emanating light, knew each other as well as we knew ourselves and felt like we were staring into a mirror.

My NDE and youthful experimentation both indicated that we are all one.

Perhaps we are all Gods expression of Himself, like a painter or a sculptor?

I have two distinct memories of past lives, one of them actually walked through momentarily. In 1938, I was an Army Air Corps cadet pilot who killed himself during training in a stall spin accident. I crashed and burned to death.

Later, as a boy, I returned to Randolph Field with my father whose office was located in the very barracks I had occupied as a cadet. I joined Randolph’s Civil Air Patrol squadron and as a CAP cadet, once again marched around the same parade decks wearing virtually the same uniform I had worn as an Air Corps cadet in 1938. Standing on the barrack's porch in the hot Texas evening, I could feel the sadness welling inside me, the sad longing to return to a past that could never again be in this lifetime. Such is the longing of the soul.

Still later, one of my civilian instructors suffered the exact same accident as I had in my previous life. Only this time it was during takeoff at the same auxiliary airfield with a student pilot on board. Both were killed in the crash that burned them to cinders. I was the only pilot whose ticket that newly minted instructor ever signed off. The other memory is of being a Japanese pilot, possibly a special attack pilot.

"Suicide" is not the word for these pilots as they sacrificed themselves for a cause, as many soldiers have done in every war. They did not commit “suicide,” they sacrificed their lives because of the felt necessity of their situation. Had it not been for wartime desperation, it is doubtful they would have committed their lives to the foolish notion of suicide.

"Suicide" was the term coined by American propagandist to make these pilots sound as if they were insane. These propagandist circulated the nonsensical rumor that "suicide" pilots were “welded into their cockpits.” The Yokosuka MXY-7 “Ohka” or "Cherry Blossom" was assigned the derogatory name "baka" or "fool" by American intelligence. It was the special attack squadrons that had the greatest negative impact on the morale of American sailors.

It happened at an airbase in Texas when I was around nine or ten years old. I was walking to my evening Judo class down a street that led directly to the airfield's hangers. I was quite a distance from the hangers, still out of sight at this point, when suddenly I found myself approaching a hanger. Night was falling and it had begun to rain lightly as I found myself approaching a Japanese airplane parked behind a hanger. The single engine plane seemed almost new. It was painted the classic flat green of that era with a dull, red Hinomaru clearly visible on the fuselage.

I was dressed in a greenish/brown flight suit and could see and feel the bright green harness I was wearing, but there was no weight of an attached parachute. What is indescribable was the intense feeling of sadness and despair overwhelming me. I wanted to cry, but could not. I have never felt such profound, intense emotions before or since that moment. I kept walking, the feeling of hopelessness overwhelming me, when suddenly I was back at my starting point, approaching the building where the Judo classes were held. All the feelings of emptiness and despair disappeared instantly, leaving me befuddled as to what I had experienced. Not too many years ago, I recreated this moment in a game/flight simulator. Once again, emotions overwhelmed me as I took off in the rain and flew around the airbase in the virtual simulacrum of my previous life.

I grew up thinking (perhaps "knowing" would a better word) I would be a WWII pilot. Around the age of sixteen, it finally dawned on me that WWII was receding into a timeline never to be recovered. I would never fly the aircraft to which I as so attached. However, I was consumed with aviation. I lived, ate and breathed airplanes. First I became an aircraft mechanic; then I became a pilot, actually finishing a portion of my flight training in the very aircraft in which I had died prior to WWII. After 2700 hours in the cockpit, I burned out on flying and quit aviation altogether.

Towards the end of my career, I flew corporate jets. While many find jets to be sleek and sexy, I found them soulless machines flown by the book. Jets are just a series of endless procedures, with almost no room for the stick and rudder flying I loved as an Ag-Pilot flying a Grumman Ag-Cat; a not-so-distant cousin to the 1930’s navy fighter planes I grew up with in the last life. Few instruments, no radios and big, round engines were my real love of aviation, aircraft now mostly relegated to museums, but then I am pretty much a museum piece myself these days.

Today I find it difficult coming to grips with the idea that my highest aspiration in life was once to be nothing more than an expendable tool for elite money men and their politicians lusting and profiting from the bloodshed of war. The airplanes that once excited my soul, now sicken me, as do those still proudly regaling the memories of the horrors of war. Anyone viewing life objectively, cannot fail to see that war, misery, suffering and struggle are primary reasons for those returning to this existence.

The conundrum is this, my Army Air Corps death occurred around 1938, prior to WWII. The Japanese experience was undoubtedly just prior to the end of WWII. This means seven years between the two deaths, indicating both men had to be alive at the same time as there is no way these could have been successive lives. This seems to indicate one soul can in inhabit two bodies simultaneously. What I find so bizarre is that they were enemies. Apparently my soul was fighting itself to a miserable death.

This life has shown me the horror of this hellish existence and the insanity of those desires keeping us attached to repeating the mistake of returning to try fulfilling desires that can never truly satiate the soul. This life taught me what Siddhartha learned, i.e., one must move beyond all desire if one is to escape the continual recycling of the soul back to this existence of misery and suffering.

Life is a trap. When one dies, they are tricked into returning. Many are overwhelmed with a feeling of longing for life. Others like myself, are driven to fulfill those desires for matters left unfinished. The soul is often presented with those souls with whom they were seductively intertwined in a previous life. Others are presented with fears of separation from this existence.

The story of Siddhartha’s battle with Mara, the demon of desire, encapsulates those tricks used to lure the soul’s return to this existence where its emotions provide food for the beings whose existence depends on strong emotions. Note that Mara’s last attempt to lure Siddhartha was presenting his beautiful daughters. Notably Siddhartha’s last words were reportedly, “Now I shall never again return to the womb.”

Fear, hatred, lust, greed, horror and terror, misery and suffering are man’s base emotions predominating his existence. These are by far the strongest of all emotions. By contrast, love, compassion, and empathy are the most sublime emotions, countering the base emotional states on which the creatures feed. Love is what delivers one from the misery and horrors of existence. Love is the “oneness” to which one soul returns when finally understanding what is being dealt with and refuses to be tricked into another cycle of life.

Like the old song said, "Won't Get Fooled Again."

Hi Cloud Potato,

I don't think I understand your line of thinking. Are you talking about a kind of dual existence?
Personally, I don't work with this kind of hypothesis. This doesn't mean that I say it is impossible.
I think that as soon as persons identify themselves with their names and their personality and their personal experiences, I consider them legitimate individuals.
Of course, sometimes you meet people who remind you of other people. In my opinion, they are the same 'type' of people, perhaps the same 'frequency' or the same soul group, or something like that.

I've got the feeling that you refer to something else but I don't know what.

Firefly, I tend to agree with what you are saying with this. True soul resonates beyond linear time which is above the mental plane, however the purpose of reincarnating is to experience duality and individuality as a sperate entity. This can only be done on the 3rd, 4th and 5th dimensions. So once soul commits to a physical form along with the personality and lower ego along with the inner subtle bodies attach to it; then it will experience this for duration of the incarnation. Even identical twins have sperate souls, even though the physical form is identical in its DNA constructions. Now granted everyone receives a astral, and mental body along with the physical. However these other two inner bodies which operate on the higher dimensions are intertwined with the physical and operate as one unit during ones lifetime. At death the physical is shed and then the soul will reside in the astral and so on and so on ect...

Now once soul reaches the causal/soul plane which is on the sixth dimension and above then this is the world of pure spirit. There is no duality here. So even though we retain our individuality as a unique spark of consciousness as soul our (AWARENESS) is expanded and more inner connected to the whole of spirit itself which give us a senses that we all are apart of each other and god. As time is at this point experience as a singularity. So there is no linear time here anymore. In fact there is no time at all. This is where eternality is. This is also where soul groups are formed. However soul desires or wishes to experience being a complete separate entity with no awareness of others so that it may be challenged more to grow, mature, and evolve as a spiritual being. This is the purpose of reincarnation. As this is the process of the evolution of consciousness itself. So that the soul may know itself by its own experiences.

In my opinion what happens here is that when a soul reaches a certain level of spiritual development it becomes aware of the higher self which is connected to the universal whole of spirit. This kind of awareness makes the lower ego feel that it is apart of the same soul. As there are souls that are every close to our own spiritual development. However this is illusion because this kind of awareness is being filter thru the lower ego and mind which tends to distort things as it is apart of duality. Well at least that's my experiences on it anyway.

Hope this makes senses.

Love and peace.

P.

hey polaris, thanks so much for your latest replies and interest in the subject.

G Ley wow thank you so much, i find myself agreeing with your sentiments.

kind regards

Back