• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

something my daughter used to do

bishopk

Senior Registered
Hello! First time poster here. Glad I found this site; I've read Carol Bowman's book and found it fascinating! Anyway, this post refers to when my now 6-year-old daughter was about 3 1/2. We were given a double bed that had been in my husband's family. Shortly after that she would gather up several of her stuffed toys and dolls and say she was taking them to the "common" - the double bed was the "common". I know that the word "common" has several meanings, one of which is a space of land for public use. It seemed to me that that was how she was using the word, but I have no idea how SHE would have known that. And I swear, for a short while there while she was playing that game, she would speak in what sounded like a rather clipped English accent. Any comments on this anyone?

cecily

Senior Registered
This could also be Boston, where Boston Common or just "the Common" is the big park in the center of the city. Certain Boston accents have a clipped character with English-sounding vowels."

Kelly

Administrator Emeritus
Hi Bishopk

Welcome to the forum

There are plenty of commons in England. Did she mention any names connected to the common???? Or anything else on or around the subject??? What was the focus of her play at these times???

Sorry so many questions...curious minds here you know

------------------
Lots of Love
Kelly

[This message has been edited by Kelly (edited 01-18-2002).]

bishopk

Senior Registered
Hi and thanks to all who replied! Funnily enough, the cafeteria of the grade school she attends is also called "The Common", but we didn't know that until she began school last year. We're not from this area and had never been in that building unitl we registered her for kindergarten. Cecily, I'd already wondered about a Boston connection! Kelly, to answer your questions, no, she didn't name any names or connection to the common, nor did she go into other details. Not that I recall anyway. The focus of her play seemed to be her toys getting together to meet at the common. I loved your questions - just wish I had the answers!