Swedish Torch

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by BethC, Dec 12, 2013.

1. BethC

BethC Senior Registered

The other day, my husband was watching a youtube video that showed people using a Swedish Torch. He pointed it out to me for some reason. I definitely had a deja vu moment. It was a 'yeah, I've seen that done before' feeling, and I asked my husband if he had known about that before, and he said he hadn't.
    A Swedish Torch is a semi-split log, set upright, with kindling put inside of it, then lit, and the flames come up from it, very high.
    After I saw it, I could not think of any time I had actually seen it, but just knew that I had. The only other connection, I have is a Swedish foreign exchange student who lived with us for a year, when I was around seven/eight...but I can't recall learning about it from him.

2. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

It could be a case of cryptoamnesia. I think we all may experience a touch of that - unconsciously incorporating something we heard about long ago into our memories. On the other hand, I presume that your exchange student was a teenager, and they don't spend much time talking to eight year old girls. It's a very specific memory. That must be quite an impressive sight. Is it associated with Jule?

3. Indian

Indian Senior Registered

I've lived in Sweden all the 48 years of this life and has never heard about any "swedish torch".

Ok, I never jouned the boyscouts, maybe they would have used that technique? From googling it seems like the term originated in Germany in the 17:th century during the 30 years war.

So I just wanted to say it's unlikely your knowledge about the torch came from the swedish exchange student since the practice isn't very well known in Sweden at all.

4. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

Thank you, Indian. That was very helpful. It might help Beth narrow things down a bit.

5. BethC

BethC Senior Registered

Swedish Torch

Right..Thanks. In the show I saw, it was some people in Norway using the technique in the wilderness. I think they referred to it as a Swedish candle. I saw it in Wikipedia as Swedish Torch.

I guess it's like how French toast isn't necessarily from France. LOL