• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

The Eternal Nature of Love

Ailish

Administrator Emerita
Please join me in welcoming our first guest speaker, Michelle Brock, to the forum!

Michelle Brock's bio:

Michelle Brock is a New York City based spiritual development life coach and a hypnotist who specializes in past life regression, intuitive development, and manifesting positive life changes. She is the author of a blog on topics related to past lives, soul mates, and spirituality, also hosts a radio talk show. Michelle’s approach is completely non-denominational, and she believes that true spirituality is an individual journey. Her philosophy is that we can all become more spiritually aware by learning to remember our true nature; that we are all eternal, connected and continually evolving.

Michelle works closely with her clients as they explore their unique gifts, as well as the specific challenges and opportunities for growth. She helps individuals discover the roots of their unresolved issues and unhealed wounds in order to transform them. Based on her own experiences, including discovering her past lives and the spiritual journey that resulted, Michelle is an experienced guide and a true mentor for her clients through this potentially life changing process.

Michelle will be posting and sharing an article on soul mates on Friday, March 11th, 2011.

Welcome, Michelle!

The Eternal Nature of Love – by Michelle Brock

Love never dies. In fact, love is truly the only thing that we can take with us when we die, and then beyond into our next life. But how does love “survive” death? Do we really have soul mates that we have loved and lost over the course of many lifetimes? How will we recognize them? Is this what we mean by “love at first sight”? How will we meet them, is it destined that we will? What is love anyway?

Well, let’s begin with the last question. What is love? It is quite possibly the most over- and misused term in the world, love is something that we use to describe our favorite food, a movie we really enjoyed, the color we just painted our bedroom, and George Clooney (whom I love). We even sign letters and email correspondence with this word, even if it is to someone that we have only met a few times.

But, we all love to talk about, think about and even dream about love. It is an essential part of being human, and no matter how many times we can “fall” in or out of love; we still feel a powerful drive toward it. Our desire to love and be loved is deeply embedded in our consciousness, and at times, it will make us behave in the oddest of ways.

Perhaps what love actually is has been encoded in our collective psyche, and our loose usage of the term might reflect this. We use the “L word” to describe everything and everyone that we find pleasing, or positive in some way. We “love” everything that we perceive as “good” (and therefore we can actually love all by perceiving it as “good”- but we’re working on that, right?). This positive perception that we make about someone or something is energy, or intent, and love is this energy.

Think about it. You love chocolate, but your best friend hates it (probably not a viable example, as I can’t imagine anyone would actually hate chocolate, but follow me here). Is it different chocolate that you are both consuming? No, it is only your perception of the chocolate that differs. You are emanating positive energy toward the chocolate that you are enjoying, as you choose (mostly subconsciously) to perceive it as pleasant. That vibration, or energy that you give off with each pleasurable bite creates an emotional reaction that becomes what we recognize as the feeling of “being in love."

This love energy works the exact same way with people. For example, two people standing next to each other can have completely different energy toward, and therefore subsequent emotional response, to a potential romantic partner who walks by. One will “love them” with a positive perception, while the other might either find them neutral or even negative and regard that person with disdain. The point here is that the person exuding the energy has a choice (acted upon subconsciously, mind you) as to whether that vibration is positive or negative. And, as equally as we can give love energy, we can also receive it. And also, the person walking by these two different energy sources will usually feel the difference in the way that they have been perceived; this is what we call feeling a “vibe."

The fact that love is actually just energy is the key to understanding how it can survive death, and then subsequently be brought back with us as we reincarnate. This is because, according to physics and the law of conservation of energy, it (meaning energy, or love energy) cannot be created nor destroyed; it can only change forms. Thanks to Galileo (whom I also love), we have an example of how this works. His experiment with a swinging pendulum demonstrated that kinetic energy (movement) when it was interrupted still contained the same amount of energy, only in potential form. If this theory is true then, and love energy cannot be created or destroyed, then it can only change forms. So, when we die (and change forms as well, as we are in essence made of energy too) we take all of our love with us and then bring it back again when we reincarnate in our next life.

Now, the science behind love and attraction is an incredibly complicated process (sorry for the obvious major understatement here), as our subconscious minds do play an enormous role in it. Our subconscious is a vast space filled with suppressed thoughts, unexpressed emotions, intense fears, deeply embedded attitudes, as well as our memories from this, and other lifetimes. Because it is such a large and complex place, the fact that our choice of love partners is mainly ruled by our subconscious mind is exactly why the how and why of this process is so darn confusing.

The Eternal Nature of Love- part 2

You can have a crazy, animalistic attraction that defies all reason to someone that you have some heavy karma to work out with, as well as to the soul mate that is the biggest love of this millennium. This is an important to remember as we try to understand how it is possible to be separated or divorced from your soul mate, as well as the role that destiny plays in this process. You meet the soul mate that you are meant to meet, when, where and how you are destined to meet, for a divine purpose that involves our spiritual growth and development.

So then, how does this never destroyed love energy translate into our incredibly complex romantic love lives in our current incarnation? The energy of romantic love is actually in essence the same as our feelings of love toward others that we love such as parents, children, siblings, friends, etc. (and on a very simple level, maybe it’s even energetically the same as our feelings of love for our favorite sandwich), only on steroids.

Our romantic partnerships can and do become quite intense. We all subconsciously seek a partner, the “yin to our yang”, the one who will “complete us”, even though being in this type of one-on-one relationship is actually one of the most difficult things we can do in life. It’s incredibly tough to live with someone else, to share the bills and the bathroom, and to allow another human being to see all of you, complete with your flaws and weaknesses. And, I am sorry to inform you that there is no such thing as a soul mate that will come along and “complete us”. This is a total myth.

Being a “whole”, or complete person yourself and fully balanced both mentally and spiritually, who is committed to another “whole” person is the goal here. So, the work that needs to be done here is the work that we do on ourselves, becoming whole and balanced. And then in addition to that, to learn to be open, communicative, receptive, present, passionate and compassionate to our partner as well. We all know that this is something that even the most enlightened among us struggle with, as love is really hard work, even for soul mates.

When you have spent many lifetimes loving another person, you will have a powerful connection that most people will recognize when they encounter it. And, because your love never dies, it is possible to pick up where you have left off in a previous life. Although you might have some catching up to do concerning your comings and goings the last few hundred years, your soul mate relationship has a story to it, and you have a history together. So, maybe what we call “love at first sight” is really just a love reunion.

This type of a soul mate with whom you have loved and lost over many centuries will feature an eerie sense of familiarity, like you have known each other before, and sometimes even an uncanny innate understanding of each other. And, this connection will become more and more intense with each lifetime that a couple spends together. The grief, loss, sorrow, and therefore longing for one another after having been separated by death again and again creates a powerful energy link between two people. In fact, this link can be so profound that it is possible to have a psychic, or even telepathic connection to this person that can be very real indeed, even if you have never met. I often hear of soul mates that dreamed of one another years before their initial meeting, or felt a déjà vu sensation when they first saw them. Soul mates can even sometimes read one another’s thoughts or finish each other’s sentences.

Usually there are more than a few synchronicities, or strange parallels in the lives of two soul mates as well. They will have things in common that go far beyond their favorite color or food, such as maybe they will have both lost their father at the same early age, gotten married or divorced in the same year, or had the same life threatening illness simultaneously several years before they met. I worked with a couple once who had both worked in the same restaurant in Cleveland, although a few years apart. I know someone else who had worked down the hall from where his future wife’s office was, probably passing each other in the hall or the elevator nearly daily, almost ten years before they actually met. There is a reason for the existence of all of the various romantic legends involving soul mates, because sometimes the truth really can be stranger than fiction.

The Eternal Nature of Love- part 3

I have a good friend who, when she was in her late teens, saw a man performing a musical number on television. Upon seeing him, she told everyone who was with her that was man that she would marry. Years later when she met her husband at a party given by mutual friends, she felt a connection with this man like she had never felt, as if they knew each other already. Only after they had been dating for several months did she realizes that it was he who she had seen on TV, and they have now been married for many years and have two children together. Nearly everyone who knows them or has been around them can feel the powerful, yet peaceful connection that this dynamic couple has with each other. This is an actual romantic, real life soul mate story about two people who were destined to meet and be together, and had been together many times before in other lifetimes. Their love for each other had never died, and was waiting to be rediscovered and then built upon in this life.

Now, not all of us are as psychic and in tune as my friend, or are lucky enough to have seen their soul mate on TV (although I do love George Clooney, food for thought perhaps…). So, how will we recognize them when we do meet them? In addition to the way that a soul mate connection feels, as well as the sense of familiarity, there are several other ways that we can recognize a soul mate. When you look deeply into someone’s eyes, which are truly the “windows of the soul”, you can find the part of a person that goes beyond their current physical appearance when you do. Another way that you can recognize someone’s soul, or the part of him or her that is immortal and knew you before comes from hearing the sound of their voice. There will be a spark, or a reminiscent quality in the voice of a soul mate that will arouse an ancient memory buried deep in your subconscious.

Another way to recognize a soul mate is through their touch. A soul mate’s skin on yours can feel tingly, or if you are receptive enough to the energy exchange between you, it will be downright electric. This is due to the magnetic pull toward each other that we have, which is created by this love energy connection that we have built up over many lifetimes. I have heard people describe the sensation of someone brushing past them that felt like a jolt, a handshake that took their breath away, or a kiss that felt like an explosion. This is soul mate stuff.

One of the worst things that we can endure romantically is when only one of the soul mates recognizes and feels this connection. Unfortunately, not only is this possible, but it is actually more common than we all might wish. Sometimes this occurs because one of the soul mates is distracted, angry, or otherwise has a veil over their heart and mind that does not allow them to be open to the often still, small and subtle subconscious soul mate clues.

Also, it is important to remember that there is such a thing as right person, wrong time. Destiny can often seem so cruel, as it can feel so amazing to find someone with whom you have a connection like this, but then to have it ripped away from you can be utterly devastating. Sadly, there is nothing you can do in this situation except move on, sending your soul mate your love and wish them well. Your connection will always remain, as will your love, and perhaps you will meet again at a later time (in this, or a future life) and maybe then they will be ready for you.

What we are actually working on here with all of this love life drama is to learn to be better at love. In fact, on a basic level, the whole reason we are even here and have gone through all of the trouble to be reincarnated is to learn how to love. And, just as important as the act of giving out our love energy, we also need to equally know how to receive it. And so, it is important to remember when we are grieving the loss of a soul mate, either from having been separated once again by the inevitability of death, or from a lack of readiness or recognition, that your love for each other can never die. But, the lesson needs to continue and we need to keep working on being loving, and being open to love even though we have been hurt before.

Since we have had many lifetimes and have many loving soul mates, there are always the ones that lie ahead, just down the path. These lost loves have been searching for you, have dreamed of you, and have waited centuries for destiny to allow your paths to cross once more. We need to work on ourselves in order to be ready for them, and have hearts that are open enough to recognize them, or it will be they who will grieve and have to move on. But, when two open and ready soul mates are reunited, the love energy of this union is absolutely unparalleled. Because they didn’t fall in love, they simply remembered that they loved each other already.

Michelle Brock can be found at www.michelle-brock.com or at www.givingnaturecenter.com

Copyright © 2010 Michelle Brock

Hi Everyone!

I am so excited to be a guest speaker and am looking forward to our discussion. I can't wait to read your comments and questions!

Welcome to the forum Michelle. We are pleased to have you and I look forward to the discussions and reflections on your work.

:cool

Hi Everyone! I hope you enjoyed my article, I am so glad to be here.

In the article, I described some of the various ways that we can recognize a soul mate.

What are some of your own experiences with soul mate recognition? Tell me how you knew you had encountered a soul mate!

Well I'll break the ice by saying welcome Michelle! You could not have brought a topic more relevant to my life and journey. I am one of those stymied by the love of another, yet in this life time it will most likely never see the light of day. I think for me learning that this separation, if you will, is OK and that there are reasons behind it, was a major revelation. It seems you have confirmed some of my own observations in this area... "it is important to remember that there is such a thing as right person, wrong time."

I think it is important to remember the enormity of creation beyond our visible barriers. I guess it takes acknowledging there is a spiritual realm on the other side of "this." And that the soul entity is real and moves, progresses and grows. And this growth of love is something I've not thought about in the way you wrote it: "Love never dies... it's the only thing we take with us." YES! I believe that. I have said many, many times my love for Her is beyond here and now.

My problem... the thing that played over and over in my head was WHY? Why did she have to die in 1906, and why was I so distraught to the point of mental collapse? Why have I remembered it? And why was I shown this love only to be separated from it? What happened in previous incarnations that caused such karma? All these things bothered the heck out of me for some time. Until I realized or came to understand the idea of living and accepting life lessons. I like the hope in your words "we will meet again." And I guess that sustains me. Are there other lessons I should be looking for?

I look forward to reading this again and digesting more of your ideas. An excellent topic that certainly hit home here!

Tinkerman

Hi Michelle,

I am curious if you know where and or when the term "soul mate" came to be part of our spiritual language. In other words, do you know when the first references to soul mate were made? China? Egypt? India? I am fascinated with the roots or origins of current ideas and terms.

Thank you for sharing your article. Does anyone else know how far back the term goes or have references to share?

Tinkerman,

Thank you so much for your words, and for sharing! I think that it is important to remember that romantic relationships are truly one of the most challenging aspects of being in physical form, but the emotion and the longing that we feel are actually our own inner desire to heal ourselves. We feel a pull toward a soul mate so that we can learn from them, resolve karma, and therefore propel ourselves forward spiritually. The journey to the soul mate is actually a journey within, and maybe you have remembered this love, and this painful longing because your soul is wanting to heal and evolve. But, I can relate very well- it is so difficult to remember someone and to not be with them physically!

Deborah,

What a fascinating question! I am not entirely sure where it showed up first, but by Classical Greece it was a well known phenomenon in the Western world. In Asia, they have a legend that predates the IChing (which was created before Khufu's pyramid in Eqypt, very ancient) that is called the "red string of destiny", which describes such a string that connects two destined loves together, insuring their eventual meeting. But, maybe the first comes from Kabblah- the term "beshert" in Hebrew means "destiny" but also means "soul mate". This term is believed to be older than Hebrew tradition, possibly even Sumerian. But, this is the earliest we can go back, because this is when writing was invented and we can track stories and legends that we wrote down. I imagine in early tribal and shamanic cultures there were many oral traditions of this phenomenon, as I am sure that even in the Stone Age we humans recognized the meeting of a soul mate as a "magic moment". I have had clients who have recalled being in the Stone Age, or even as early humans and had soul mate encounters in their regressions that felt that way- and have discovered couples who can trace their own history back that far. I believe that it is as old as time, since it is such an inherent part of the human experience!

Hi Michelle :)

Thanks very much for sharing your interesting article :thumbsup:

You've given a good account of what a soul mate is, and how soul mates are connected across several lifetimes, but is it possible to have more than one soul mate? and if it is, can 3 or more soul mates be interconnected in a kind of soul 'triangle'? I wonder if 3 or more connected soul mates can give rise to conflict while we are in our physical form? Does anybody know of any examples?

Chris

Hi Michelle! And, thank you so much for adding such a dynamic subject to this new section. I have always been drawn to the concept of soul-mates as, I imagine, most other people; because it seems to hold a promise of completion, happiness and contentment. Some of us even perceive a soul-mate as being a kind of guardian in physical form. But, what if soul-mates are also people (souls), who are bound by destiny to deliver painful experiences and memories?

As some members know, I have often mentioned my habit during the past few years of warning my sons about being careful of following their psychic urges and uncanny attractions to some people; only because I have found that such things may represent painful business that may be left unfinished from past lives.

What is your insight regarding the possible negative aspects of soul-mates? And, are there times that it is wise to avoid such attractions?

Chris,

That is a very interesting point to bring up, so glad you mentioned it! Yes, we absolutely have more than one soul mate, in fact we have many, many soul mates of different types. I often even define a soul mate as anyone we have met before in a past life, which would make the possibilities endless! This is because we have these energy exchanges with one another when we cross paths, even the most casual encounter. And, don't forget that our soul mates are also our parents, children, grandparents, friends, etc.

The question about the 3 person soul triangle is actually something that I see all the time. This is because our interpersonal soul mate connections end up looking like a spider web, if we are connected to one soul mate who is connected to another, then we must have encountered both of these individuals before at some point due to this mutual soul mate. This is why you might intensely dislike for no real reason your ex-wife's new boyfriend, or have an amazing, instant connection with your college best friend's best friend from high school. And yes, there is always conflict anywhere there is karma- and, it is all about the lesson in it for us.

Nightrain1,

I love that you brought up the idea of completion! Yes, there is a feeling of wholeness that we get from a soul mate connection- I believe that this is our soul's longing to become whole on our own, individually, and to heal and evolve. And yes! A soul mate can absolutely deliver a hard lesson, which happens more often than many of us wish! (Myself included) What a true gift you are giving your kids by urging them to try to remain detached from a person or situation until they can see it clearly for what it is. Unfortunately, our emotions often cloud our decisions and our subconscious minds will pull us into these crazy all-out dramas with other people. I think that the trick is to make decisions concerning our choice of romantic partner, and even in all areas of our life, from a conscious place. This is the "practice" of life, the mastering of our emotions and learning to find the truth within ourselves. When we do things in life and make decisions consciously, rather than subconsciously or unconsciously, we can absolutely avoid pitfalls and disasters, many of which are patterns of behavior that can span the course of many lifetimes. We all get on these hamster wheels, and when we can become conscious of what we are doing, then we can finally step off of them. Your children are so fortunate to have a conscious parent who is teaching them to be conscious beings!

RemainingSpirit,

Oh wow! Thanks so much for allowing me that.

I think that the question that most people fail to ask about soul mates concerns fate and destiny. Are we "fated" to meet a soul mate? And, how does destiny work in all of it?

Most of us are either single and focused on how, when, and where we will meet that special someone, or are in a relationship and wonder if that person is our fate, in either a good or a bad way depending on the quality of the relationship. The most important thing to remember here is that the future is not determined, and we always have free will and can make choices- this is the essential difference between the concept of fate (that something absolutely will happen) and destiny (which is the idea that through our own choices we are active co-creators of our existence).

Often when we think of love relationships, we spend time thinking outwardly- with our focus on the other person, or our partner. I would like to suggest that it is important to shift that focus back toward ourselves, to within and doing the work of our own spiritual growth and development. It sounds counter-intuitive, as it is the opposite of what we all tend to do. And, making this shift is hard to do when you are already in a relationship, as many times these partnerships are actually co-dependencies, power struggles, or even an acting out of anything else that we haven't healed within ourselves, and many partners rebel when we take all of our energy off of them and spend it on ourselves.

Our relationships, just like we ourselves, are not a non-living entity, or a stagnant and fixed thing. Instead, they are organic, alive and continually growing and evolving. And, we want to be able to evolve within a relationship, to have a partnership in which both parties are able to become the best version of themselves that they can be. It is possible to have such a relationship, and it is possible that your desire to grow will spark an awakening your partner who had previously not had such a desire. And, when we are single, it is really important to do our own inner work (spiritual practice, therapy, contemplation, and any other way that we can heal ourselves) so that we can attract a soul mate of high caliber who will reflect this intention to grow, and hopefully match it.

So, I don't believe that any soul mate meeting or soul mate relationship is "fate", but is rather destiny based on our choices and the quality of our energetic vibration- like energy will always attract like and we can only be responsible for our own vibration.

Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to address that!

Hi Michelle! Thanks so much for sharing and have enjoyed what you have had to share with us.

Now Michelle, what do you think about this present time period as regarding love and soulmates? This is one thing that I have personally meditated on and would like to hear your thoughts on the matter. For myself, I find it interesting as just soooo many people are looking for that special soulmate but that divorce rates and breakups in relationships are at such a high rate in this present day and time. I myself see that us Human Two Leggeds are indeed social creatures so we desire relationships. And how much of human history were we more community minded it seemed. But it seems as if in this western culture, so much emphasis is now placed on the individual and pursuing one's own goals so to speak over relationships. It seems to me that finding 'True Love' can be more Rare then Gold it seems. Now would like your thoughts on this matter and as concerning Love and Soulmates as pertaining to this present time of such emphasis on one's individuality and independance. Am personally single and love it!

Thanks again for all of your sharing here with us. Wishing You the Best!

kmatjhwy,

You have brought up a very interesting point! Yes, the divorce rates today are staggering, and everyone seems to be breaking up all over the place. I am also currently single, so this an issue that I am quite familiar with. You hit the nail on the head when you said that a fantastic soul mate relationship seems to be elusive for so many of us right now.

I am really glad that you brought up human history in relation to this topic, because I do feel that maybe can shed more light onto your musings when we examine that. There is quite a lot of talk these days about the Mayan calendar, and also the whole 2012 phenomenon, which is being fueled by the terrible tragic disasters such as what has happened this week in Japan. But, what the phenomenon of 2012 is actually about is not really doom and disaster, but rather our own human evolution.

The Mayan calendar lists what it calls "9 Waves of Consciousness" that are time periods that each feature a new leap in development. The 8th wave began in 1999 and the 9th was just entered into last week, on March 9, 2011. What this last 'Wave' is about is about unity and co-creation, that we can begin to realize our own connection with one another and even to all that is.

Without getting too off topic here, each of these 'Waves' are subsequently shorter in time, causing things to speed up exponentially with the advent of each new era. Right now, it is almost dizzying how fast things are moving. And, one of the things that happen with this rapid growth and evolution is that the things that don't serve us are being quickly burned away, and this is especially in relationships.

I feel that right now there is a mass awakening happening, and that many of us are no longer willing to live their lives asleep- and when we awaken a relationship that doesn't allow you to evolve and grow is the first thing that has to give!

I agree that in our past, and at different points in our history we were more community minded, but now it is less about our community and more about the world at large, we have expanded into the global community.

We are beginning this process of the "Unity Wave" and in addition to the internet, the media, etc. are starting to discover how much we are truly connected on an energetic level. And, for those of us who understand reincarnation or who have had experiences with their past lives, this unity idea makes sense, since we incarnate as all genders, races, religions, and circumstances possible so that we can learn from all sides. And, we are beginning to remember this, and many of us who have gathered here on this forum have come because we have had these memories and experiences, or our children are telling us about theirs and we are seeking an understanding of it.

You also mentioned that it seems today to be more about the individual and our own goals rather than relationships. Absolutely. I believe that this is because we have begun to realize (even if it is subconsciously) that we can best serve this global unity by becoming the best versions of ourselves that we can be.

But, here is the ultimate life riddle: we cannot be the best version of ourselves without the act of both giving and receiving love. So, after the relationships that don't serve us are so rapidly falling away, rather then close the door of our hearts to a new relationship, we need to remember that being in relationships is actually why we have bothered to be incarnated in the first place. Being in a conscious and balanced relationship is what we are after, and that can only happen when both parties are evolved enough to discover the true, spiritual essence of love. And, being in a soul mate relationship can in itself be a powerful method of self discovery and spiritual growth. There are always soul mates who lie ahead on our path of growth and development, and as long as we are moving ahead we will attract them into our lives.

I guess what I am saying here is to not give up, and that as we evolve- so will the quality of our relationships. And, we humans need other humans, we literally cannot survive without love. It is a basic need!

So, I wanted to ask if anyone has any specific experiences that they would like to share? Any questions, comments, arguments, advice on relationships and soul mates? I would love to hear!

Michelle I would be interested in your thoughts on the twin-flame theory. Souls have an equal and opposite... yin-yang, black-white, up-down, male-female etc. The more and more I read about it the more and more sense it makes. There are some great books on the subject that have only peaked my interest. But then there are those that call something like that "duality" and often resent the fact that one would insinuate they weren't "whole" or an entity unto themselves.

My personal beliefs and experience (instinct!) say that we have many soul-mates... and that we encounter them in our many lives and journeys. They are there to assist us and teach us... just as we are to teach and assist them. For some of us, we have learned to recognize, in a somewhat primal-intuitive way, who they are... we just "know." And then there is the other part of our soul that was cast into the world at the same time, in a timeless and educational journey for the "other." This theory is ancient, yet makes so much plain sense to me. A very interesting researcher and doctor once told me she believed this separation and subsequent search for were in her opinion a perfect scenario for creation and eventual resolution.

Well I could go on and on, but want to hear your thoughts.

Joy!

Tinkerman

Hello Michelle.

Thank you for sharing this. I am curious as to how you came to understand that Love is energy. That concept is one that few people will ever comprehend.

As wonderful as your explanation is, I would go further and say that Love is the energy in which we exist and have our being. The human emotion of love is a pale reflection of that essence in which we naturally exist as spirit.

Love and Light.

Tinkerman,

I am so glad that you have brought this up! From both my experiences in my own life and in my work doing past life regressions, I have come to believe that the twin flame soul mate is a very real thing indeed. You are correct when you mentioned that we have many soul mates, I have also found that to be true, and yes- our purpose is definitely to teach one another.

When I read your previous post, I did suspect that you might have been referring to your twin, the clue for me was when you mentioned that after her death you were "distraught to the point of mental collapse". This doesn't mean that we don't grieve the loss of all of our soul mates, because we absolutely do, but when you are dealing with a twin flame connection it seems to have an emotional intensity to it that you don't find anywhere else. And, most of the time when we are with our twin we are separated painfully, ripped apart by death or circumstance.

There are many legends involving this phenomena, including "Romeo and Juliet" and "Tristan and Isolde", about two lovers whose encounter with one another opens up a depth of longing within them that is so strong that they would risk anything to be together, including their own lives. And, unless you have experienced it yourself, it is quite difficult to comprehend how such a connection would be possible, and also how it would feel. I can relate to this very well myself, as I also have experienced a soul mate that I believe is my twin.

I think one of the best keys to understanding this phenomenon lies in what you mentioned about the yin and yang, black and white, etc. To me, the fact that this polarity exists in all aspects of nature, and because we are a part of nature, that it would exist within us on a physical and a spiritual level as well.

I always tell people that the important thing to remember is that the twin flame, since it is this polarity is not identical to us, but rather a mirror image of us. This means that our twin, like all of our soul mates on some level, would act as a mirror onto our own flaws and unhealed parts of ourselves. If this is true, it is a little bit humorous to think that Romeo and Juliet would have maybe had a terrible divorce a few years into this intense, wildly passionate affair, since they would have probably grown to despise one another from this projecting of all of each other's flaws, which would have actually been a deep self-hatred for themselves and the deepest shadows and unhealed parts within them.

This is why the twin flame story is almost a cautionary tale, and this makes sense in the context of what I have discovered, that the twin flame soul mate represents our highest potential. What this means is that two twin flames cannot be together and grow old peacefully until they have evolved spiritually on a certain level, because they just simply can't handle it. When we have done a lot of work to heal ourselves, and have done a lot of work learning and growing with our various other soul mates, then we can be with our twin and it won't be destructive.

I love what your researcher friend said as well, that it is a "scenario for creation and eventual resolution". Yes! This polarity concept is central to creation, as shown in the process of cell division in all living things, and the reunion is this resolution at a certain point in its' evolution. What we are trying to do here is to grow, and as you mentioned before, we learn from our soul mates. The twin flame is the goal, which is completion and a return to ourselves, or a pure form of love for our own essence and a true sense of unity to all that is.

I don't know specifically why you remembered this, and if we were working together one on one, I would certainly want to delve into that deeply. What was left undone? Where was the regret? What is the larger lesson for her appearance in that lifetime, only to remember it now? And, since it is our current lifetime that matters the most, what does that mean for you about how you live your life today? And, since we are not often incarnated at the same time as our twin (and are actually on a spiritual level never actually apart), where is she now? Does she represent a call for you to step into a new phase of your spiritual evolution, and remembering her is a reminder of what is possible? This is why we are here, why we bother to be incarnated, so that we can grow, evolve and eventually become reunited with this part of ourselves.

Even though you have suffered and felt the pain from this separation, maybe this memory of her can be used as a point of your focus and your motivation. She is you, and you are she. And, being with her is actually your return to yourself- your true essence, and who you really are on a deep spiritual level. But, you are destined to be together for all eternity, and remember that your current physical state is a temporary and fleeting one.

I hope this helps!

stardis,

Yes, that is beautifully put! The human emotion that we call "love" is actually need, longing, fear, and attachment. Love in it's real form involves none of this, and it transcends any of our human emotions.

The pure and true essence of who we are, as spirit, is this love energy. It is an energy that is a deep and abiding love for ourselves, love for others, and is even an all-encompassing love for all beings. It is a pervasive and universal force that serves to bind us to all that is. And, we choose to be incarnated so that we can learn this through experiencing the illusion of separateness that happens when we are in physical form. Love is not something we feel, it is actually something that we must be. But, in reality it is something that we are- but, we have forgotten this.

I came to understand that love is energy through the process of remembering it- I have done a lot of work myself delving through my own past lives, and also memories of the time I have spent between lives, while in spirit state. I have remembered being this pure love energy! And so, through this process, I have not as much learned who I really am, but have rather remembered it.

Also, I am incredibly privileged to be one who works with others in helping them to do this remembering as well- my greatest teachers have truly been the clients I work with, and I get to witness first hand over and over this recalling of the beautiful knowledge that we all have- already inside of us. This work is a true joy, and is also a humbling reminder of how much of our greatness and true essence we have managed to forget. But, there are so many who are remembering, and waking up to reality and shaking off this illusion- it is a beautiful thing!

RemainingSpirit,

Yes! Right now I am planning a YouTube channel that will feature some of my video podcasts on various topics. I will be posting them sometime next month :)

MichelleBrock said:
When you have spent many lifetimes loving another person, you will have a powerful connection that most people will recognize when they encounter it. And, because your love never dies, it is possible to pick up where you have left off in a previous life. Although you might have some catching up to do concerning your comings and goings the last few hundred years, your soul mate relationship has a story to it, and you have a history together. So, maybe what we call “love at first sight” is really just a love reunion.

This type of a soul mate with whom you have loved and lost over many centuries will feature an eerie sense of familiarity, like you have known each other before, and sometimes even an uncanny innate understanding of each other. And, this connection will become more and more intense with each lifetime that a couple spends together. The grief, loss, sorrow, and therefore longing for one another after having been separated by death again and again creates a powerful energy link between two people. In fact, this link can be so profound that it is possible to have a psychic, or even telepathic connection to this person that can be very real indeed, even if you have never met. I often hear of soul mates that dreamed of one another years before their initial meeting, or felt a déjà vu sensation when they first saw them. Soul mates can even sometimes read one another’s thoughts or finish each other’s sentences.

Usually there are more than a few synchronicities, or strange parallels in the lives of two soul mates as well. They will have things in common that go far beyond their favorite color or food, such as maybe they will have both lost their father at the same early age, gotten married or divorced in the same year, or had the same life threatening illness simultaneously several years before they met. I worked with a couple once who had both worked in the same restaurant in Cleveland, although a few years apart. I know someone else who had worked down the hall from where his future wife’s office was, probably passing each other in the hall or the elevator nearly daily, almost ten years before they actually met. There is a reason for the existence of all of the various romantic legends involving soul mates, because sometimes the truth really can be stranger than fiction.
Thank you so much for your articles. They resonate with me so much. this is my first time post here although I've been a long time lurker and afraid to post my experiences until now.

I am going through very similar incidents as you written. I do have this powerful connection with another who I met very recently. He is a very spiritual evolved young man- a buddhist monk in training who lived in a temple since as a child. I am a married woman with children who isn't buddhist but grew up with the belief in reincarnation, karma- eastern philosophy. I never believed in it all that much until I met him.

I have telepathy, empathic and a huge psychic connection with this young man but we both don't speak the same dialect of our language. we both completely understand and trust each other. He has traveled thousand of miles to be here for work and had obstacles in his arrival but he still made it here. I went to the temple looking for spiritual intervention after I got diagnosed with an auto immune disease. I met him and immediately felt this powerful connection but we both really can't communicate and only thru email .

As we both get to know each other, we both are discovering very similar things in our lives although there is a big huge age difference. He is my catalyst for seeking spirituality and I know that this life time together is about teaching. He has acknowledged the connection and says that we are very lucky to be reacquainted in this life time again- to be able to work through our past lives. I didn't really understand it when he told me as I do not feel lucky whatsoever, I feel tortured knowing this connection and him. My life has completely turned upside down in confusion since I met him 6 mos ago. I know he is also goes the same emotional rollercoaster as I do although he doesn't tell me, I know he does. we both feel each other's emotions quite easily and powerfully.

My question to you is if he is my twin or red string of destiny, why such a big age difference? he is everything i want in a man but why give me this information now. i haven't done past life regression and don't feel a need to. You mentioned that twins/soulmates normally do not incarnate at the same time ? what is the purpose then ? it does feel like i have a bigger purpose with him in this life time.

MichelleBrock said:
And, most of the time when we are with our twin we are separated painfully, ripped apart by death or circumstance.
Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum. I was curious about your take on this subject myself. I had a NDE in 1978 and the main theme afterwards was the 'twin spirit' concept. I haven't found testimony from other experiencers that match my own experience with it.

I met my 'twin spirit' in 1977 and they died - which led to my own 'near-death' experience. When I woke up from the experience - I had amnesia - or self imposed 'denial.' I couldn't recall the physical person - but I could recall the spirit I had the NDE with. (My twin spirit was with me in my NDE.) Afterwards, my 'twin spirit' was with me for four years acting as a 'spirit guide' or 'angelical messenger' of sorts. I was led on an adventure to be a medium for people whose 'twins' were in spirit. There 'twin spirit' was trying to send them messages in dreams. I would help validate the dreams having a spiritual reality. Back in the early 80's - information about this was mostly from the Plato legend and lacking.

And, unless you have experienced it yourself, it is quite difficult to comprehend how such a connection would be possible, and also how it would feel.
I kept the memories of everything buried and hidden until 1998 and when I recalled the emotions involved with meeting this 'twin' in the flesh and then losing them - it was the most intense experience of my life. (All over again 20 years later.)

I have been bringing the memories to the surface - and I am amazed at how many encounters I had where I was a medium for others - whose twin was in the 'spirit' realm trying to pass on messages to their 'living flesh' counterpart.

What this means is that two twin flames cannot be together and grow old peacefully until they have evolved spiritually on a certain level, because they just simply can't handle it.
In 1982 - my 'twin' came to me in a dream and told me the name and birth date of their next incarnation. In 1998 - I checked on the name and birth date and found out there was a person by that name. I have no desire to meet this person in the flesh and if I saw them coming - I would run in the opposite direction. I have too many painful memories of the last encounter. In my own research of the 'twin spirit' topic - I find that many people romanticize this type of relationship and overlook the fact that there is a painful process in spiritual growth. I feel the goal of a 'twin spirit' works on the subconscious level regardless of our conscious intentions.

Once again - welcome to the forum. I have enjoyed reading your articles and the information you have shared with us.

DK

DK, I know this feeling only too well. The people who I am, entity wise, closest to, members of my immediate soul group, people I actually have a good relationship with in dreams, can't stand being with me for long in life. We have such close psychic connections it's unbearable.

Ginger2,

Your story is so compelling, I am glad that you have shared it with us. I think that you are the voice of so many of us who struggle with life circumstances that can often seem so cruel. The "why" of these powerful connections is not always easy to discover, as we have these intense feelings and emotions around them that tend to cloud things up for us.

These types of soul mate connections serve to open us up, which can even feel like they rip us open, and what they are opening us up to is actually ourselves. And because we don't ever feel as vulnerable and as open as when we encounter a soul mate of this caliber, what often is exposed is a cavernous abyss of raw desire. This desire is actually a desire to discover purpose and meaning, to feel something deep, spiritual and real. We are beings who crave this, we want to feel and be alive. But, this is actually emotion, which is specific to our human experience, as we don't have the same struggle with our emotions when we are in our pure, spiritual state.

One of the most difficult aspects of real, actual spirituality (meaning not something you read in a book, but something that you discover, do and live) is in the learning to master our emotions. And, you and I both know that it is much easier said than done! You described it perfectly, as an "emotional rollercoaster", which is exactly what it feels like. This is because the "ups and downs" come from flip flopping between your human desire for this depth of connection, and wanting to explore it and let it progress, and also your wisdom from being evolved enough that you know to master the emotion you feel and to step back from it and see it objectively for what it is.

I think that you have a very mature innate sense of awareness concerning this connection, and you have to give yourself some credit for your temperance and also your willingness to learn and grow from this. You said that his presence in your life was your catalyst for seeking spirituality and that you have met in this life for a purpose that involves teaching. I'll ask you this- how much more of a profound purpose could a soul mate possibly serve in someone's life?

To open up a spiritual path is probably one of the purest and most divine soul agreements anyone can enter into. And, the physical stuff is just that, physical and not spiritual (although the physical connection between two people can serve to deepen the spiritual connection, and it does if it is approached and used properly between two people). But, not all connections are meant to be "romantic". True love is actually very pure and spiritual, and has nothing to do with the emotions that we attach to romance. You and this man seem to have such a love, that it just "is".

It has been my experience that circumstances such as a large age gap, or commitments to other people or lifestyle choices are actually meant to be there. This is because we often can't see the road ahead and the bigger picture, and you were meant to meet him and step onto a spiritual path, but what lies ahead is also as it is meant to be. I myself have had two very intense connections that turned into relationships in which we had circumstances that kept us from being life partners- both of them lived in different cities than I did, and our careers and life situations kept us apart. This is because both they and I were meant to learn from one another, but then move on to be with different partners, but the course of our lives was forever altered because our paths had crossed. This is a beautiful thing.

Life is, unfortunately sometimes, all about life lessons. I would suggest that you try to focus on what you and he agree is your mutual purpose for meeting. What is it that you will learn from this experience that will be worth teaching? This is why we meet our soul mates, to learn and grow. And, if you approach this connection in this way, that it has something to teach you, then your intent will serve as a powerful presence as you fulfill this soul contract and it serves the larger purpose that you have met. Often times soul mates meet for a purpose that serves all of humanity, and we need to honor that as best we can.

Back