• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Thought Forms

EternalAgony

Is anyone here educated on thought forms? I've been told those within my soul family are sensitive to them.. That we attract them. How do I know if the life I remember is real or if it's a thought form?

Through the years I've gathered a few bits and pieces about "thought forms" during all my research ... as interpreted through my experiences and guidance (so take it or leave it).

I've read that people who believe in magic consider thought forms to be something of an art form, and talk about using them to manipulate and control others (which I think is only possible with "victims" who don't have internal defences or a clear understanding of their own autonomy and self respect).

From what I understand, a thought form is a fragment of reality (but not a spiritual entity) that isn't currently physical, but that someone either wants to bring into existence or is inadvertently creating out of their beliefs and repetitive imagination. This means it is either something that is in progress of coming into being through one's choices or attitudes or something that someone else is bringing/has brought into a structured mental form through their imagination, choices, beliefs, or attitudes.

There is a theory that this explains some ghosts. (Basically that they are the strong emotions or incomplete desires someone left tied to a location or experience when they died.)

People attract what they internally resonate with (consciously or unconsciously look for), whether thought forms, entities, experiences, ideas, etc. People who are psychically/emotionally sensitive in general will be sensitive primarily to anything they look for or expect to find (and one form of openness is fear, the expectation that something bad is likely to happen). People who are fearful (secretly or openly) will resonate with and be more sensitive to things that form around fear or create additional fear ... for them. This could be anything from their own imaginations consolidating around secret (or past life induced) fear and possibly visualizing it enough that a structured thought form grows from it (which would make it feel even more solid and fearsome, even though it's still an idea).

Combine this with the general truth that what people look for in life they are more likely to find, and there will be confirmation bias of "evil attacking" since any disruption to life will be interpreted through that lens. That cycle leads to greater fear, less belief in one's own freedom to choose the good in life and own one's space, etc.

So, let's say the thought form that comes to mind when they are in fear looks like a demon. It's (probably) not a literal demon. (I think there are non-imaginary spiritual entities who latch onto people who are unconsciously resonating with them, and that is one reason I strongly encourage people to remain in alignment with their integrity. Inauthenticity and self-destructive habits create vulnerability to trickery, abuse, and manipulation.)

... But back to the purely mental projection of a thought form"demon". Someone who has a significant amount of fear built up around the idea of demons is more likely to find people in their lives who behave "in a demonic way" and who basically disrespect them as people and attempt to limit their autonomy. They are also vulnerable to the fears of others. Put a bunch of people who are afraid of unseen evil in a room together and they'll begin seeing each other's demons (and adding to their own collection) because they are already vulnerable to that perception. Someone who "curses" them will get through, because they are open to being cursed. Someone who claims God has rejected/cursed them will get through, because they already believe they are unprotected. The vulnerability started with the fear, but it won't seem that way once it is strong enough to create a spiral of confirmation.

Those have no sense of ownership of their mental, emotional, psychic, and physical space fear that anything and everything can break in and harm them at any time, and that fear takes down their defenses -- mental, emotional, psychic, and spiritual -- that would otherwise keep everything out. This is why love is the answer to fear. Loving yourself allows you to defend yourself, own your space, recognize your boundaries, and hold out against both external disrespect and internal attack from one's own imagination or the ideas of others. Counselling often helps, because once someone learns to take ownership of their choices they often find their way back to stability and learn they can increasingly control the effect of these influences.

Sidenote: People who have enough connection and empathy can share their mental images with others. (My friend and I do this in a positive way all the time, often as elements in our dreams. Like one of us will dream of saving a child from drowning and the other will have a completely different dream, but will also save a child from drowning.) Sometimes this even works with strangers. (I'm of the opinion that this tends to happen more when there's a past life connection that aligns the two with whatever is being shared. It's not an "anything goes" type of connection.)

So to take this into a more positive area, I've helped friends (some with schizophrenia, etc.) use the theoretic structure of thought forms to actually create defenses, protections, and reassurance. Of course, I rarely use the term "thought form". I just say, "If it's in your head, then you can consciously influence it, too." How this works is that you recognize that even if your mind that is capable of scrambling the link between imagination, spiritual perception, and reality ... that means it can also be consciously tricked into playing into your chosen scenarios, too. It takes time and effort, but you can create (by constantly reviewing and improving) an imaginary defense that will activate against things that are perceived as dangerous and fearful, and you can take charge of the playing field in which these interactions take place. Basically, because it's your mind (psychic space, imagination, emotions) you can change the game to one you can win. Creating stable visualizations may not clear up the physical problem, but it does return some control and provide a tool and a path forward in the midst of the confusion ... and that is reassuring and stabilizing.

Of course, this has the added benefit of allowing your spiritual support team/guides/love and light/god to reinforce those defenses and help protect you, too. They can't force us against our free will to believe whatever we choose, to prioritize respect, love, and light or live in alignment with our integrity, but the moment we take the first step, that gives them a place to add their own energy and make an even greater difference.

A thought form can be something as simple as the place you always go when you meditate. When you visualise the same place every time it can become its own identity in your mind and begins to take on a stable expression that seems almost tactile and real (given that we experience everything through this part of the mind, that's not surprising).

If you create walls of white light that block evil, then however strong you make them (meaning you trust and believe in them, and act in alignment with their validity for both yourself and others), that is how much they will keep out fear (and therefore darkness and evil). Not external circumstances, but the internal story that comes along on its own or alongside outside influences. If you always imagine a being in your mind to the point where it seems to take on its own personality, you get to adjust its personality into one that isn't capable of causing you harm or if you feel threatened, you can always kick it out of your mental( and spiritual) space until it learns to abide by the rules of your inner space, the first of which is respecting and protecting you.

Anyone who isn't in the habit of seeing their mind as a "my game, my rules" kind of space won't realize they can change the playing field or evict ideas that don't play nice. We choose what and who we allow close, and what we imagine can influence our reality. I'm careful what I imagine because of this. If I disrespect people or imagine them doing what they would never consent to doing, I mentally open myself to trickery and deception. If I want to be respected spiritually, socially, or in my imagination, I start with the belief that everyone deserves that respect and hold that space as a buffer to my expectations in daily interactions between myself and others. This is an active creation of the love that counters fear. Those who don't believe in respecting me (or others) don't get close enough to intrude on my space because I set boundaries between myself and them, whether in real life or psychically.

Take it for what it's worth. Maybe some of this will be useful to you. As always, test it for truth and discard what doesn't work for you.

Last edited:
Darn, I forgot the part about past lives. I think if a glimpse or memory comes to you intact with all its emotions, it's probably your own memory. Try sitting down and making a place you believe in. Unless you're very experienced at this (and even then I'm not convinced you can both invent and experience at the same time) you're going to have the hardest time actually experiencing it emotionally as a space because you'll be trying to figure out what texture the grass is and whether or not you want a tree just there, etc.

It takes a different kind of mental effort to construct an experience than to experience one that is already there. My strongest meditation spot was constructed from a dream for that reason. I already had an experience and just reinforced it and added on what wasn't there already.

As far as whether you're experiencing someone else's memory ... well, I think that's where repeat experiences, collecting memories, emotional quality, etc. come into play. I very much doubt that the average person is going to experience random memories that belong to others unless they're open psychically and requesting to know about other people or a specific location, place, or time. If it still happens even with solid mental and emotional boundaries in place, and after cutting ties to controlling or invasive people and predetermined expectations, then that's further confirmation that it's your own memory.

I figure at some point it doesn't matter who a memory belongs to ... at least in theory. If I resonate with it strongly enough that it affects me deeply, then it has enough meaning for me to deal with it as my own. Just like a book that makes you feel a certain way, your experience of it is your own, no matter what the author's intentions may have been.

In Tibet they are known as Tulpas.

"
When Alexandra David-Neel journeyed through Tibet, one of the many mystical techniques she studied was that of tulpa creation. A tulpa, according to traditional Tibetan doctrines, is an entity created by an act of imagination, rather like the fictional characters of a novelist, except that tulpas are not written down. David-Neel became so interested in the concept that she decided to try to create one.

The method involved was essentially intense concentration and visualization. David-Neel's tulpa began its existence as a plump, benign little monk, similar to Friar Tuck. It was at first entirely subjective, but gradually, with practice, she was able to visualize the tulpa out there, like an imaginary ghost flitting about the real world.

In time the vision grew in clarity and substance until it was indistinguishable from physical reality-a sort of self-induced hallucination. But the day came when the hallucination slipped from her conscious control. She discovered that the monk would appear from time to time when she had not willed it. Furthermore her friendly little figure was slimming down and taking on a distinctly sinister aspect.

Eventually her companions, who where unaware of the mental disciplines she was practicing, began to ask about the "stranger" who had turned up in their camp-a clear indication that a creature which was no more that solidified imagination had definite objective reality.

At this point, David-Neel decided things had gone too far and applied different lamaist techniques to reabsorb the creature into her own mind. The tulpa proved very unwillling to face destruction in this way so that the process took several weeks and left its creator exhausted."

- Excerpt from "Body, Mind & Spirit - A Dictionary of New Age Ideas"

And a collective thought-form is an egregore. Egregore is a kind of group mind which is created when people consciously come together for a common purpose.

Great explanations, Mere Dreamer and Cryscat.

I just want to add that when you learn to do conscious astral travel, this is one of the most surprising things you discover: when I talk of "mental creations" in the astral I'm referring to literally that, things you create with your own mind (=thought forms), but things that are equally real, not what scientists call "hallucinations". In the astral you become aware of how powerful your mind is, how your subconscious fears take shape (real, literal shape), probably we can't see them in the physical world just for the same reason we don't usually see ghosts, but they're there.

This can happen both in a negative and positive way, as Mere Dreamer explained. "Taking control in the astral" is precisely this, to be aware of what is "true" and what is "false", to become aware of your own fears and have the strength to make them disappear. They may be from a light insecurity that manifests in a friend doing you harm, to your greatest fears having to do with demonic entities or other type of "monsters", most of which are reflections of your subconscious fears.

I'm pretty sure this phenomenon of "thought forms" has also a lot to do with religious apparitions, if not all, at least it's part of the phenomenon. When a large group of people with strong religious feelings gather in the same place, strange phenomena can appear, sometimes so strong that even people who are not psychic or sensitive can detect, such as the so-called "dance of the sun" and other light phenomena. Parapsychologists are well aware of this, but unfortunately no one seems to pay them any heed.

It's also very interesting what Cryscat said about Tulpas. When I studied Buddhism I soon realized they lose it when it comes down to religious doctrines (as most religions, imo), but I'm pretty sure they are the human beings with the best knowledge about how our mind works, and the description of Tulpas is just an example. I don't know to which extent that text is true, in regards to how hard it is to destroy a thought form, but certainly, from what I've heard from astral travelers, probably it's easy to find them in the astral and you need a lot of will and control to discern what they really are and act accordingly.

And personally, I also see a direct relation between thought forms with all kind of scenes described by people who live NDEs. Sometimes they call it heaven, sometimes they call it hell, but probably you only can see through the illusion once you have completely rid yourself of your physical body/mind.

If anyone is really interested in this, look up the Toronto Society for Psychical Research (TSPR) and their "Philip" experiment. They basically tried to create a ghost and were successful.

What an interesting tread. I've read it with pure joy, a lot of recognition.
Actually too much triggers I could comment on, but I'll save some for another time.

Let me say something about 'protection' in other realms.
Me myself, hardly use any 'protection', by choice. I think everybody should find out his/her own way, and that there is no rule about this. For me personally the 'no protection' works best. I am not ruled by fear in general, and as soon as I would feel the need for protection, I would admit my vulnerability, and that is my personal 'no go sign'.

But I have a funny story about this. A lot of years ago I used to meditate with a group of friends together at the same time. Not physically together. We had created together a place we would go to, hoping to meet each other, or at least sharing our seperate experiences afterwards. It was a place in the woods, with a little lake, very simple. Some interesting things happened there, but my funny part is about....
One day I was late for some reason. I joined the group about 15 minutes later than our apointment. Well, at least I tried, but for the first time I couldn't get into our imaginairy world in the woods. I tried, tried, I felt like floating in the dark Universe, but something invisible prevented me from entering. I felt frustrated, and had to accept the feeling of failing. Afterwards we commented our experiences as usual (online) and what had happened? One of us had experienced a growing feeling of insecurity about our meditative travels together, so this time, after he had waited for everybody to be present (not knowing I was late) he had put this world into a huge protective bubble with his mind.
I can tell you: it worked. And I didn't know that it even was a kind of protection layer. I just couldn't pass.
I never use this method, but at least I have the knowledge now that it can be used, if ever usefull.

I also can say that it is possible to create 'thought forms'. This place we created together, and within a few sessions we experienced the same map, and sometimes we became aware of eachother.

Recently I tried to visit the 'thought form' of my girlfriend (S). It is the world of the novel she is writing, and I am her editor. So I know this world well enough. Not long ago while astral travelling, she ended up in het own story. She can walk around, talk to her characters, but they live their own life. They give unexpected (but logical) answers to questions, they agree and disagree with the plot, all very interesting. We use these experiences to fit into the novel, if possible. While discussing this, I alway feel sorry that I cannot astral travel in the classical meaning of the word (so we could share experiences). So a few days ago we decided to go to this place, my friend S leaving her body (that's very natural to her) for an astral travel, and me using my own method (probably mental projection). We were curious if we could meet anyway.
For me it was the most difficult, I could not just enter an already existing place.. I had to build up this house (house is an important place) in my mind. I had to build it from my memory and understanding of the place, but as soon as it was manifestated it didn't disappear, I could walk around too. It was all empty, and I was alone. Untill a certain point, as if a switch had turned, and from that point it was as if the place had come alive, and I began to notice unexpected details and changes. I've seen 1 character, and 1 as a blur. At a certain point I decided to manifest myself, so I created my body exactly as I was at the moment, even the same clothes. Like with the house, it didn't happen in a split second, I really had to focus to build up. I had done that because I wanted to touch things, feel the fabric of the couch etc. (and I could). In this experience I started to get flashes while walking around. I suddenly became extremely aware of an empty chair at the kitchen table. This empty place asked my attention as if it was defying me. With my 'manifested body' I could sense a lot of the atmosfere of the house, the presence of the dead mother from the story.
Ok, and now the version of S. afterwards. She had no trouble entering the house because to her it already existed as some kind of reality. She was mainly in the kitchen, because to her surprise the dead mother had appeared (yes, sitting in that chair). This almost evil lady had showed up, altough she was dead from page 1 of the novel, and was trying to eat some food at the kitchen table. My friend was shocked of her negative attitude, but in her head she was very clear: this is my story, I am the boss of the story, and I am going to ask you some questions, and you just have to answer, because I am the boss...
But this lady refused, ignored the questions, feeling herself superior to my friend.
My friend looked to the open kitchen door and saw me (!!!) looking into the kitchen, and to the kitchen table. She saw me exactly the way I had manifested myself (with my bright colored shirt). Only very shortly, and than I vanished in front of her eyes.

We think this is real fun. We don't know yet how it works. When I looked into the kitchen I didn't see anyone, but S. saw me for a brief moment. To me that empty chair was strongly present. Apart from that, I also sensed the influence of the dead mother while inspecting the living room and the hall.
It is a fantasy world above all, but it has become a strong thought form. The characters cannot be dictated if they are not willing to cooperate.
Another thing is that our versions of the house are not exactly the same, we very often perceive mirrored versions. What I see at the left, my friend sees at the right. So confusing.

fireflydancing,
I could say "Yes!" to so much of what you wrote above. Yes to mirrored images, yes to talking to characters, yes to characters having their own ideas and own minds. But, I just wanted to comment about this:

Let me say something about 'protection' in other realms. Me myself, hardly use any 'protection', by choice.

Just to be clear, I do not much either. I am lazy that way, I guess.

. . . something invisible prevented me from entering. . . . this time, after he had waited for everybody to be present (not knowing I was late) he had put this world into a huge protective bubble with his mind. I can tell you: it worked. And I didn't know that it even was a kind of protection layer. I just couldn't pass.

This is a common beginners mistake, I think. I hope you will not throw out the entire idea of protection in other realms because of it. There are lots of ways to put shields in place, while still letting "good stuff" in. You are a very creative person, I think. I bet you would come up with something wonderful, if you tried.

Back