• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

what does your name mean?

sarajaney

I think I read somewhere when we are reincarnated we tend to use names or choose names that link us with our past. Any truth to this?

My first name seems to be an invention of movie script-writers in the 1930's, and my mother heard my middle name in the laundry room of a depression era trailer-camp. I dislike them both, and don't feel any connection to them, even after decades of having to use them. I often invent funny new names for myself, and once told a comic on stage in Las Vegas that my name was "Panda Magoo". (Karmic Lesson- Don't ever sit in the front row at Vegas shows.) My daughter, however, "told" me her name ten years before she was born, and again, the first time she was brought to me after birth. We were considering two names, and when I looked in her eyes, I knew which was right. In my own case, when someone says the last name "Stewart", I always think, "That's my name." I've always felt Scottish in this life, and so have other family members, even though we're not. There are a few random Scots in the background, but not enough to account for my affinity for the Stewart tartan.

Doubtful on this for me. My mother didn't want a girl and wasn't interested enough to name me, so the nursing sisters or somebody put the feminine version of my father's (he died before I was born) first name on my birth certificate. By the time I started school my mother perked up a bit and on a whim registered me with a second name that she liked, which was some boyfriend's aunt. I got stuck with that name all through school and forever after on all official forms, and have always hated it with a passion. I've tried to use various nicknames based on my first name but none of them have ever caught on with anyone.

I do not feel 'sympatico' with my name

I have always hated my name. Deborah (Debbie) seems like a generic name, it never felt like me. It is hard growing up when literally half the girls in class have the same name--it makes it difficult to feel like an individual. When Mom was pregnant my parents decided Mom would pick a girl's name, and Dad a boy's. Mom said she was undecided between three names, so she let my dad pick. Either one of the others would have been fine, but no, he picked Debbie and until his dying day thought it was a great name. There was also a series of unsavory movies with Debbie as the protagonist, which was absolutely mortifying.

I have had friends tell me that they thought of me by one or the other of the two unused names, both fit me very well. If I was in spirit stamping my foot and screaming while they were filling out the birth certificate, neither heard me.

Deborah, however, is an ancient Hebrew name, from an earlier Egyptian name meaning "bee", the bee was a symbol of power and nobility, and I do have an Egyptian past life, but still.....:eek:

sarajaney said:
I think I read somewhere when we are reincarnated we tend to use names or choose names that link us with our past. Any truth to this?
I can't see how that makes any sense at all because our parents usually name us. We have no choice because we were a 'bit young' to have any idea of what a name even is. A 'nick name' we chose when we are older may have some bearing on a past life. A name might apply if our parents were close to us in a prior incarnation. Unless I am missing something this makes no sense to me at all :confused:

HI,

Deborah, however, is an ancient Hebrew name, from an earlier Egyptian name meaning "bee", the bee was a symbol of power and nobility, and I do have an Egyptian past life, but still.....
LOLO Me too...only I am also allergic to bees...so much so I have to carry an epipen. So I am allergic to myself. ;) Go figure.

A few do pick their own names

Smith-

I do think that in some cases the spirit about to be born does influence the name. A friend I used to work with told me a story about one of her children. (She had 9). She was in the hospital before he was born and dozed off for a few minutes from sedatives. A little boy suddenly stood before her, stamped his foot, and said "Name me Jeffrey, I want to be Jeffrey!"

She had planned to call the baby another name, and had never considered Jeffrey, but when he came out, that is the name she gave him, and he has always liked his name. She said it suits him perfectly.

smith07 said:
I can't see how that makes any sense at all because our parents usually name us. We have no choice because we were a 'bit young' to have any idea of what a name even is. A 'nick name' we chose when we are older may have some bearing on a past life. A name might apply if our parents were close to us in a prior incarnation. Unless I am missing something this makes no sense to me at all :confused:
It makes perfect sense to me..., and when I was speaking of names I primarily meant last names. I'll have to find the article I read but basically the point was that before we reincarnate, there may pass many years and that we are conscious beings and choose who we want to be born to and that we can sometimes be attracted to names, races or religions that attach us to our past lives...and that with the help of our spiritual Masters, we choose lives that tend to be the same or connected from life to life, meaning in one life.. if you are a lock smith.. your last name may be Lock or Smith, or you may be a Miller and worked in a lumber yard or with wheat etc etc...it's not been said to happen all the time but it can and has.. It's not fact obviously nor is it proven but again it's a theory based upon certain past life accounts. For instance.. my maiden name was York.. my mothers maiden name was Crawford.. as silly as it may seem to you all, obviously with some of the comments, it is plausible seeing my intense attraction to both England and Scotland. Personally and in my humble opinion, with not much being known about past lives and reincarnation, with many theories and nothing scientifically proven or disproven, I'd say some theories or thoughts shouldn't be laughed at or blown off, because really none of us know for certain what things in our present life tie us to our past lives. Opening your minds to new ways to regress might even help you fit pieces of the puzzle together. For instance... I have asthma.. I've read things like present day ailments such as asthma could be an account of possible suffocation or a loss of oxygen in some way. It also explains allergies, loss of limbs, birthmarks etc. Here's the link to that http://www.healpastlives.com/future/rule/ruplpror.htm Also things like your current problems in life be it financial, in love, etc can be repeated over and over until you learn why you have the problems you do in this life by connections with your past life.. like I have money troubles trouble with savings and medical debt due to a special needs child.. why this may not have anything at all to do with a pst life, to me it's something that needs to be looked into

This isn't the article that I had read previously that made me think about my name now and what it means but it's the jist.. here's an excerpt..

Q. How does the soul make its choice as to where, when and to whom it will be born?

A. It depends on the evolution of the soul. Under the Law of Evolution of evolution, unevolved souls are drawn magnetically to the prepared bodies through karmic necessity; they have little choice. More advanced humanity, coming in under group law, are attracted to particular family and national groups (with which they have karmic connections) according to the world's need for such groups' energies at a particular time. Initiates enter under the law of service and choose (with the help of their Master) the family, conditions, etc., which will allow them best to serve in their special way.

Yellow Roses said:
Smith-
I do think that in some cases the spirit about to be born does influence the name. A friend I used to work with told me a story about one of her children. (She had 9). She was in the hospital before he was born and dozed off for a few minutes from sedatives. A little boy suddenly stood before her, stamped his foot, and said "Name me Jeffrey, I want to be Jeffrey!"

She had planned to call the baby another name, and had never considered Jeffrey, but when he came out, that is the name she gave him, and he has always liked his name. She said it suits him perfectly.
Exactly! That was my point entirely... I think that it's very possible we have a say over some aspects of our next life

Dear sarahjaney, I didn't mean to make my answer disrespectful. It was a good question, and I'm sure in some cases, people do pick their own names. My daughter, who I think chose hers, told me that she loves her name. Perhaps, in the case of a given name, whether we get the one we want, depends on how psychically "sensitive" our birth parents were. I have read that whether or not you like your name is a measure of your self-esteem. I've wondered if something happened to the body I was supposed to inhabit, and I jumped into a replacement on short notice. I have no idea if that is possible, but I know I'm not the only member who feels a huge disconnect with their birth family, and as a result, don't care for their names, first, last, or middle.

sarajaney,

the posts that preceded mine were referring to first names, which is the reason for my post. I would have understood your meaning if you had said last names, no problem ;) . I can relate to the last name 'reasoning', my last name is Smith and I am a retired Union Ironworker and certified welder which is sort of a blacksmith.

Also, my post was neither meant to make fun of nor 'blow off' your way of thinking and I am probably as open minded as anyone on this forum :D .

My first name is Ashley and all it means is "of the field of ash trees". I've always been jealous of my brother because his name is Matthew and it means "a gift from God". I guess it's easy to see who the favorite is.

I am, however, very fond of my middle name. It is Zipora and it's a Hebrew name that means "bird". It was also my great-grandmother's first name and I believe that I share a soul with my great-grandmother. :)

When I lived as a Native American male in one of my past lives, my name in that life had a reference to the sun.

In 2000, I became friends with a woman who was from the PineRidge reservation in South Dakota. She blessed me with a Lakota name that also had reference to the sun. (She knew nothing about my past life).

In this life, in my family ancestry tree, the surname of one family also has reference to the sun.

When I realised the connection, I understood the significance of this name. My life has never been easy - not in this current life nor in my past lives. So, when life gets really difficult for me, I think of what it means.

Back