• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

What is a King? - Memories of Brian Boru

Many Irish do have red hair and freckles but that doesn't mean there can't be other hair colors mixed in with that: blondes, browns, and blacks. Any Viking settlers to the area would have added blonde hair to the mix. The British Isles were also settled by the Romans, which would have added darker hair to the mix. I believe that the latter may have been the source for your memory of the dark hair. Maps of the Roman Empire show that it extended to Great Britain, but what would have stopped them from exploring the other islands in the region? Nothing.

The link says some 'black Irish' have had their DNA tested and they have Portageuse, Spanish and Canary island ancestry alteseele. Yet its only rumours and myths as to when dark haired light skinned Irish people come from. It also illustrates Irish people also came from Northern Spain which has a wide variety of hair colourings.

Here is a map of modern Irish hair colourings:

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/550213...s&_branch_match_id=674596870463082445#details

The evidence is that there was limited Roman influence in Ireland.

The link says some 'black Irish' have had their DNA tested and they have Portageuse, Spanish and Canary island ancestry alteseele. Yet its only rumours and myths as to when dark haired light skinned Irish people come from. It also illustrates Irish people also came from Northern Spain which has a wide variety of hair colourings.

The evidence is that there was limited Roman influence in Ireland.

What you say makes perfect sense about the Portuguese, Spanish, and Canary Island ancestry as does the limited Roman influence. People got around more than we give them credit for. I would imagine that the Vikings also had some influence on the mix.

Hi Jim,

My mother's father was a Boyle. That side of the family was Irish and specialized in very dark (black/brown) hair and eyes. I grew up with my mother talking about "Black Irish" (referring to her father and brother) and their characteristics with a subtext of a certain set of negative characteristics: Hard Drinking, Fiery Tempers, and a tendency to be Morose (with the first tending to bring out the last two). OTOH, they were also clever, witty, good friends, etc. My grandfather died before I was born, but I could certainly see some of these characteristics in my uncle (who had the dark hair and eyes). Interestingly, the area of origin for the name shows up in the dark brown zone indicated on your link. So, not actually in the "black" zone on the West coast, but close.

Old wives tales I suppose, but interesting.

Cordially,
S&S

PS--Highest percentages of red hair is actually in Scotland.

Yup S&S. Darby O'Gill And The Little People Ireland is not and your description describes me very well too. I'm almost a clichéd Irishman though. I even drink Guiness.

I can't beat this chap though:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_D._Higgins

Our President looks exactly like a leprachaun. I personally think he should wear a costume to state occasions.

Was Jesus King of the Jews or King of Israel or was he both ? If the word King is open to interpretation then who gave Jesus this title and are there interpretations open to questions? Was Jesus only King of the Jews and no one or nobody else?

Hi John,

Jesus was, according to the New Testament, more than just the King of the Jews and no one else. Jesus is also given the titles, King of Kings, and Lord of Lords in various scriptures, indicating his universal reign:

"[Jesus] is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords" Timothy 6:15

"Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth" Revelations 1:5

"These will wage war against the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, because He is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those who are with Him are the called and chosen and faithful." Revelations 17:14

"And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, "KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS." Revelations 19:16

"God has exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the name above all names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" Philippians 2:10-11.

So, according to the New Testament, Jesus is definitely the King of everybody. If you believe/accept the testimony of the New Testament, then I guess that answers your question. If you don't, then I guess it doesn't. However, you asked, so that would have to be my answer. ;)

Cordially,
S&S

PS--Obviously, the Jews who didn't convert to Christianity down through the ages would not agree to the King of the Jews or King of Israel title. Consequently, they also wouldn't agree to the universal titles. Likewise, these titles would not be accepted by other non-Christians. So, you have lots of company in not accepting any of the foregoing. Of course, for what it's worth, these same folks would also deny such titles to the deities you worship. o_O

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry about "Darby O'Gill and the Little People"! (But not terribly disillusioned :cool:). No place is what it used to be, and probably never was (as the saying goes). My favorite is, however, "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. I watch it at least once per year. And no, that is not what I think Ireland is now (or even perhaps was). It is more because I like the romance and story line, plus the dynamics and customs of the society portrayed. Hmm. I probably don't have to justify myself. I just plain like it (though Wayne was a bit past his prime in terms of the role he plays).

Cordially,
S&S

PS--I have to cover my littler grandchildren's eyes during the spooky parts in Darby O'Gill.

Last edited:
I never saw The Quiet Man S&S.

The Barrytown Trilogy are some of my favourite Irish films. My favourite being The Commitments:

They make me nostalgic for the Dublin of my teenage years ( although it was set on the northside and I'm a southsider ).

HI S&S I'm sorry you thought I was questioning the connections of Jesus to the title of "King" I was never clear about how it worked.. I have researched what I could but always found conflicting beliefs about it all.. This has come up for me now because of the title of "king" in Ancient Egypt I'm not sure how that title came about... from my memories our kings/pharaohs were living gods.. Also my meditations are taking me down the path of educating me about an understanding of perfection.. what that is and what it means and what the results are when you get there This is one of the reasons I asked about Jesus because when you get there you are a king or a god or something like that ... That is why I asked

All Th Best

Hi Eva.

Sure don't you know there will be sex scenes?! They will try to make it gritty and realistic.

At least my wife Gormflaith will most likely be the Alexis Carrington ( the US soap Dynasty ) of the series....doing underhanded stuff for all the women viewers out there. :)

Check this out:

brian-boru-print.jpg

I've done more impressive pictures of people as a child and this image of Boru is selling for €1,495.

I guess pretentious individuals would say its trying to capture the style of simplistic medieval art. Fair play. Mugs I say. Perhaps I missed my calling?

I suppose the lack of symmetry to the eyes is considered more realistic is it? Two opposing viewpoints at once.

I don't remember what Boru looked like because my memories are him staring out at people but my family members back then were pretty symmetrical.

Ooh...look at the Celtic designs behind. It all looks so bloody old school...lol. I'm converted!

Hi all.

For centuries people have wondered about the exact location of the battle of Clontarf.

Some assume it was in the Dublin suburb of Clontarf but many dispute that.

Others give the actual location of the battle as being around Parnell Street in the north inner city. This is because remains of the battle were dug up during building works in the 18th century.

To my memory the battle took place around the area of Mountjoy Square which had a different topography back then. It was flatter ( although the Square itself isn't really inclined anyway, once one gets by the Hill 16 bar its grand ) again in the north inner city. The plan was to move the bodies from the battlefield so as not to create mass graves on decent land.

Back