Where do you "belong"?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Denomar, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Denomar

Denomar Senior Registered

Does anyone have one specific place where they feel they "belong" as such?

Just recently, I have a fascination with Holland. Like something's telling me to go there. It's quite spooky, because the calling code is 31, which is the number I look for when I'm supposed to do something.

Like, if I'm ever asked my nationality online, I have to pause and remind myself I'm English, while my brain searches for what I was going to type :rolleyes:

So, if you were asked what your true nationality was, what would you say?

2. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Hi Denomar,

Good question! I would have to say the USA - California!!!!! Definitely California! I was born in Canada in this life - but ever since I was a toddler I claimed I wanted to go "home to California." Someone gave me a hat that said "California" when I was about 4 and I literally wore it everywhere.

I've always been extremely patriotic to the U.S. - the U.S. flag and Star Spangled Banner choke me up everytime. I always called the Prime Minister "the President," loved the 4th of July, told everyone that Canada's Thanksgiving is "the wrong one" (Canada's is in October, the U.S. celebrates in November).

I also love Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Russia and England....

Ailish

3. Chelle

Chelle Probationary

Nationality and location can be two very different things. For example the colonists here in America before the revolution considered themselves English. ;)

For me I tend to think of myself as English much of the time or English-American. The place I feel I belong the most? Northern Michigan at this time. That's not to say I don't feel a pull from other places, but for me, at this point in time, this is where I feel I've always belonged and I keep coming back. :)

4. Lemurian

Lemurian Senior Registered

Well as far as I am concerned I belong where I am at the time, no matter where I happen to be actually :D ......

Seriously though I just experienced this not long ago. For the longest time, when living in NH, I have felt a pull towards Minnesota where I am currently living now. Upon getting here to this state, I felt a overwhelming since of belonging and peace with the land. For some reason (a past life here?) I have a strong bond with the land here, not to mention nature in general. I know I belong here, not the least of which is some "signs" which confirm my feelings....

- I am a Gemini and the football team here is the twins (though I am not a football fan per say)...

- I have had a past life as a Viking and lived in Scandinavia I think (though I am not sure). Come to find out that Minnesota was "colonized" (for lack of a better word) by Scandinavians......

These are just two of the "signs" I am speaking of. I love it here, though that comes more from the feelings of the land I have than anything else. I have also been drawn towards Canada, Ireland (I am half Irish), and Japan, most likely due to some past lives there as well.....

"So, if you were asked what your true nationality was, what would you say?" I would have to say that my nationality is an American for that is where I reside now. Even though I am spiritual, know some of my past lives, and understand and agree with many metaphysical things, I am also very grounded in the physical world, thankfully so (so as I may learn what I need to learn in this life), and the "now" which is my current life and what I should be more focused on........

But I am also a resident of the world, so might I say that my nationality is that of Earth? Would that make more and evolved sense? Anyone else?

Peace.......

5. Crissy2

Crissy2 Senior Registered

Ireland seems to come to mind only because of small "flashback" that lasted all of 2 minutes and was sparked by a song and the dream I had as a child almost resembles the streets i've seen in movies.

Now my husband on the other hand..I would say he was African American. He has never been able to relate to the white culture (if you can call white a culture. lol oh don't start me on that...I'm white and 1/2 italian!) Black men and women are often drawn to him. He relates very well to their culture is what i'm trying to say. he just feels comfortable that way. In fact, we've entertained the thought of visiting a church on like Easter Sunday or something and he has made it clear that he'd much rather be in a prodomently African American congregation. He says he doesn't know why, it just feels more comfortable to him.

:)

6. JollityFarm

JollityFarm Senior Registered

My stepfather said once that he'd had the sensation of having "been here before" when he was in the Highlands of Scotland. He's not from Scotland, although he did work in Glasgow for a while (which is, as I'm sure any Brits will agree, not the same as being on Skye or Harris or wherever). For my own part, I'm not sure if I don't belong in this country, but perhaps not the part where I grew up. I've said before that I don't really consider myself Cornish, even though Cornwall is where I'm from. I think perhaps that I should be somewhere with more of a town atmosphere - and more to do. Some parts of Cornwall are nice, but it's not where I belong.

7. dark rosaleen

dark rosaleen Senior Registered

I always felt like I belonged on a plain or near the ocean. It's all inland hills where I live now.

8. AuroraBelle22

AuroraBelle22 Member

I feel like I belong in the U.S., I strongly suspect in my last life I was American. I was born and raised here this time around, too, but my parents immigrated from overseas, so their culture was a big influence on me. And I love the culture of where they came from, like the food, music, etc., but the one thing I don't like is the religion. I have nothing against it, but it's not for me, I never felt a connection to it, and I don't think I ever will. Growing up I felt more of a connection to other mainstream religions, but not the one I was brought up in. I don't think I've had any past lives in the religion I was brought up in in this life. Also, I do feel connected to America in the earlier part of the 20th century, like from the 20's to the 60s.

9. Lux Imperium

Lux Imperium Senior Registered

England.
    Very strange but I have always felt a pull to England, and not modern England either. It's more of an 18th-19th century thing.

10. shrew67

shrew67 New Member

Where do yoou "belong"?

For me, it would have to be Scotland. When I was fifteen, my family and I went to England and Scotland. As we went further into the Highlands of Scotland, I felt more and more familiar with the area we were moving through--I even knew what loch was around the next hill, and that sort of thing. It was all familiar to this California girl. I felt a sadness, combined with a deep love of the Highlands, and joy at "coming home" I still feel homesick for Scotland!

11. norabrindle

norabrindle Senior Registered

Where do you "belong"?

Even as a small child I was thankful that I was born in the USA. I feel the most affinity with Asia, though. :D

12. West

West Senior Registered

Belong?

German Alps for me please!

Actually, any beautiful European countryside would probably do... :)

13. Volchitsa

Volchitsa More beer?

Neat question.

I spent the summer in England, and it certainly confirmed my feelings of disjointedness about being American in this life. At risk of being hauled away by Ashcroft et al., I don't feel any deep stirrings of excitement about being American. It beats living in a third world country, yes, but I don't feel any real connection towards the nation itself. During the summer, however, I did finally feel at "home." There was another sense overlapping this, though: one that the people I wanted to be with were all in the U.S., and that is why I was born into this country at this time.

Has anyone else experienced this when traveling?

For true nationality, I guess I'd have to say English, Jewish (more in a community than a nationality sense), or Scandinavian -- though not necessarily the modern countries for the latter option. ;)

14. elese

elese Senior Registered

hmm... interesting question... I feel like I belong in LA/NY... but back in the 50's... not these recent cities.... actually... I just in general feel like I belong back in the olden days...

15. Artzab

Artzab AS2

I guess I feel like I belong at some point in the past. I feel like I lived in the 1980s because I like the decade so much. Also the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. Something about the films and the clothes back in the '40s through the '60s and the music of the 1950s and 1960s. I'm such a weird kid. I was looking around at clothes with my mom this past weekend and we have totally different tastes. I like really bright colors, while she likes grays and browns.

It's very strange. I feel like a soul who has been taken from the past, say the 1980s, and placed into the now (2005) and just feel out of place everyday.

16. Ben

Ben Synesthetic

I seem to be drawn to the UK.

17. Reynardine

Reynardine Senior Registered

It's interesting that so many people here feel drawn to England! I'm a German woman in this lifetime (first female lifetime ever..eek ;) ), but I feel as if I should be male and either Flemish, Dutch or English (from London). I had several other lives in different countries, but the ones I identify with most strongly are the English ones, the Dutch one and the one in which I was half German and half Flemish.

Do you who feel drawn or identify with other countries have actual memories of living in those regions? Do you think you feel like that because the life or lives that were your favourite ones or the ones that were the most important for you were in those regions?

18. Ben

Ben Synesthetic

Well I had a pastlife memory in Medieval Period Europe somewhere, but not quite sure of the country. It was a rural area, rolling green hills, with a large castle in the distance. The scene/memory was of a trumpet sounding to warn of invaders. If I were to guess, it probably was in England. I also seem to be drawn to the city of Manchester. Alot of my pastlife lifetimes are from memory, so who knows, with regression I possibly might've had more lifetimes in Britain.

19. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Nathali,

I have been wondering the same thing - so many of us are drawn to Britain, including me!

Most Finnish people I have talked about this feel a connection with Ireland and Irish people, and a landscape with moors. I wonder why this is. Of course the British Isles do have a long history with civilizations, so it's very much possible most of us have lived there at least once. But why do we seem to remember and miss just that life??

I believe I've had at least one life in Ireland, one on the Orkneys, one in England and one somewhere in Britain - meaning I've had PL dreams or flashbacks etc. of these places.

Karoliina

20. Ailish

Hiya Reynardine :D

Absolutely!

Yes! You can't help but think of them as "home". I'm sure that those lifetimes had their share of trials and tribulations, but mainly the good memories come to mind :D Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to again be born in these places at some time in a future incarnation. ;)

Ailish

21. VictoriasMum

VictoriasMum New Member

Interesting question! If I went with my gut I would say English, and I even use the English spelling of many words, I am however Irish and German.

~Lara

22. Littlemoon

Littlemoon Senior Registered

If I had pick the two that feel most right, American and Indian

23. dark rosaleen

dark rosaleen Senior Registered

Good questions. In my case, it seems to be a feeling of unfinished business that pulls me to certain landscapes. When I see them, I feel like I've been living all my life in a strange place. Even when I was two or three years old, I had the sense that I had not always been "me".

24. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    On a US Air Force base... Northern USA - Duluth, Minnesota has played on my mind. Earlier years spent in Kentucky (Bowling Green?) Virginia (Mannassas?); lots of travel - furloughs in New York, Southern California, Florida. Travel in N.W. Europe - West Germany, England, particularly Scandinavia. These are the places that figure in 'spatial' flashbacks.

The strongest, weirdest, was to Zig Zag, Oregon.

Michal

25. seeker4

seeker4 Always Seeking

American-born - but Canadian at heart

I'm also not proud to be an American. Yeah, I am thankful for the fact that I live in the US instead of a third world country - but I would really rather live in Canada. I don't think this has anything to do with a past life - but I just happen to really like the music of Canada, and wish more of it was available on this side of the border. Also, I wish Canadian restaurants and food would be more available on this side of the border. Of course, there are also political reasons for why I would prefer to live in Canada - but I won't get into that. I never did understand why we are so pressured to be patriotic in this country.

Anyway, it would be interesting to find out if I did have a past life in Canada. ;)

26. Saau Hatshepsut

Saau Hatshepsut Senior Registered

My preference changed depending on which past life I'm feeling particularly connected to at the time.
    For the most part, in my life so far, I've considered Egypt home. I enjoyed a very satisfying life there some years ago (3,500, give or take), and it has been a big influence on my current life.
    I was able to travel there earlier this year, which was an incredible experience, visiting several sites I have specific recollections from, and it was fantastic to see that my memories haven't let me down. I now have photos that fit exactly with descriptions of a certain structure that I wrote years ago. Being back 'home' was an experience that you just can't equal.
    I'd definitely recommend to people that if you know where you've been in the past, go and visit there again for old time's sakes, it'll be worth your while. :)

Cheers,

Saau

27. Ailish

Welcome to the forum Rococo Girl! :D

Seeker - I am completely opposite to you. Canadian born (quite by accident, I'm SURE of it!) and 100% American at heart.... : angel

Ailish

28. Midnight.Sapphires

Midnight.Sapphires Senior Registered

I've traveled to a lot of places, but I have never felt "at home" as I do here in Scotland. Given the choice to return to America or stay in Scotland, without hesitation, I would stay in Scotland. I know deep in my heart that this is my "home".

29. Rayven

Rayven New Member

Good question

I'm new here I hope you don't mind my just jumping in here :)

This is such a thought provoking question for me. All my life I never really felt I belonged anywhere. The only obsession I had since early childhood was I knew I would never be happy unless I was living on a mountain. I was born and raised in NYC it took years but I have finally settled in a very rural area of WV. I live on a mountain surrounded by woods, elevation 2000'. We moved here "cold turkey" no relatives or friends as a support system but for the first time in my life I'm truly home. Many years ago I was regressed and I recalled a life as a farmer in New Hampshire. I got a lot of details, names of spouse and child and area and was able to trace this farmers existence in old records. It was the most eye opening experience of my life. Maybe this is where my obsession came from.

30. Ailish

Hi Rayven,

Welcome to the forum! :D Jump right in and make yourself at home wherever you feel like sharing ;)

That's wonderful that you were able to verify your pl through records.

It definitely takes some courage to pick up and go where you feel you belong, especially when you know no one there. I'm happy for you that you found "your place". :thumbsup:

Ailish