Why do you want to remember?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by ZephyrusX, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ZephyrusX

ZephyrusX Banned

What is the significance in knowing your Self?

What is the significance in knowing God?

What is the significance in returning home?

Why would they want to remember? Why should they remember?

Why do you think that?

I agree. I am that I am. Even if i don't know what I am, I still am... And what is is... even if I don't know what that "is"... is... (lol fun!)
    Whereas I mostly take a "whatever will be will be" attitude in life, a lot of other people seem to take the previous questions seriously... which... just confuses me... because I don't understand why.

So why is it that you need/want to know your Self/God/Home? Why do you need/want to remember?

Do you believe there is something morally wrong with not wanting to know absolute reality/God?

Do you think that if you don't remember then you are at some sort of emotional disadvantage? If yes, then what is your rationale?

2. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

I want to remember past lives to see where the connection to my children began.

And I want to return to Heaven to be with my Dad, to get another hug and kiss from him, to hear that incredible voice again.

3. kris0503

kris0503 Senior Registered

My answers

I noticed God's participation in my life at an early age(12-13) and have always felt it since then. It seems I am never alone. Curiosity has gotten the best of me and that is why I want to know him. I want to know why he always takes care of me. I feel especially blessed.
    If you are alluding to remembrance of past lives, then I don't particulary care to remember my past lives.
    Not at all. As a matter of fact we should be true to ourselves, be ourselves. You should not want to know something because I want to, or someone else wants to know it. Life should be lived, not imitated.
    Absolutely not. God does not place anyone at a disadvantage in vital matters.

4. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

originally posted from this thread in regard to the same questions:
    Because there is a nameless emptiness inside that causes me to want to transcend my limited knowledge of myself and the universe. When I try to describe it as a "feeling," it feels as if I have forgotten something... something really wonderful, yet I don't know what it is. Like I have forgotten the Totality of Who I Am in order to rediscover --or maybe even re-create-- it again.

"Morally wrong"? ...No. But I do believe that the quest to understand absolute reality (which many refer to as "God") is a yearning which is within everyone, even if a person denies that it is there. It's either operating consciously or unconsciously. And luckily, "God's greatest truth is that there is not one way only [toward knowing absolute reality], but many ways, and every one will get you there. Indeed, all paths eventually lead to the realization of God. This is because there is no other place to go." NDW, Communion With God

I believe that I caused myself to forget the Totality of Who I Am (as the Universal Sprit within everything) so that I could experience the journey of self-creation and self-discovery. If I do not yet remember Who I Am, then it's probably because the journey is not yet finished for me. I have not yet finished re-creating myself anew.

The way I see it, "God" is really another word for the endless process of creating and re-creating. We are part of that process. We journey through cycles of ignorance and enlightenment, separation and unity, forgetfulness and remembering, of creating ourselves and re-creating ourselves. The journey is endless, yet the journey is meaningless if "enlightenment," "remembering," "unity," and re-creation" is not experienced. At a deep level, we all know this. That's why the longing to transcend and expand our awareness is always there.

We are a part of God exploring what "I AM" means, but there is no final answer. It's an eternal and endless process.

5. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I want to remember because --- I believe that reality, my world and your world are a result of our actions and reactions ---vibrations and patterns...that result in cause and effect (karma). This affects me in the HERE AND NOW. The question WHO AM I is not as important as the question WHY AM I? I truly believe that I create my reality and I want to understand...........how to do it with clear intentions, and a compassionate heart.....in the here and now, in my future lives..and beyond.

ZephyrusX -you are still very very young. Perhaps when you get married and have children of your own...your world and the reasons you search for meaning in it -will change. I know mine did. I had my first child when I was your age. (I don't recommend that though. ;))

6. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

Deborah said:
    I think that the answer to "who you are" unfolds as you discover "why you are." Maybe they are two sides of the same coin. Each of us determines the "why" part --or the meaning-- of our own existence. We do this through the course of MANY lifetimes and at many levels simultaneously. Thus, the who in "who I am," or "who you are," is always evolving as we continuously re-define and redetermine our own purpose.

As you may have surmised, I'm very much an existentialist. ;) We are each co-creators with God, and the process of creation is endless, so there is no "final answer" to the "why" --or the purpose behind-- my existence, except what I choose to assign as my purpose. As I change the why in "why I AM," the who in "who I am" also changes. ...Does that make any sense?

Dogmatic ideas --especially those rooted in religious doctrines-- are the attempts of the outside world to define your purpose of existence for you (and thus also define the who in "who you are"), instead of allowing you to create and define yourself. That is what is so stifling and pernicious about dogmatism. It is not creation at all. We are here to re-define ourselves and re-create ourselves anew. This is the core of spiritual evolution. That's why I believe that dogmatic doctrines inhibit evolution (or at least slow it down). The way I see it, "obedience" is never creation (unless you decide that you what to become the "creation of others").

I found this a pretty interesting statement for a "college textbook" :D!

Incidentally, when the above author said that the universe is "indifferent to man," I do not interpret this to imply that the universe does not care about us. Rather, I think that the universe cares so much that it grants us the ultimate freedom of defining and creating ourselves. I think that a better interpretation of the word "indifferent" would be "non-judgemental."

7. ZephyrusX

ZephyrusX Banned

Actually, I was asking why you wanted to remember God or your origins. But, that is a good question nevertheless.

There are many people on these forums looking for clues to their past lives? Why do you want to remember them? For those of you that did remember, what did this discovery bring to your life?

lol, I ain't having children :rolleyes:
    But, yah... you are right. Everything changes.

Does it make sense? lol, some what. Where did you learn your studies in existentialism? Coincidentally... (or not...) It's something that I'm trying to understand presently... but blah... I get some of it... I think I need something easier to start of with first though. Can you recommend a website or a book to read?

8. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

Famous Existentialists

Actually, even though the book is Vedic, the Bhagavad-Gita is very existentialist in nature. (Some people will definitely contend that it isn't, but that's my opinion.) It stresses duty and work in determining meaning in life. It also encourages the reader to look beyond the surface of things into a deeper reality. If you are not familiar with the Gita, I highly recommend it. Many metaphysical schools (and schools of Theosophy) also recommend it. It has a "High Vibration" that tends to elevate the vibration of the reader. I personally believe that it even encourages the opening of the crown chakra. When I began to really embrace the Gita I began to notice some changes in my life Click Here.

Here is a link entitled an Introduction to Existentialism

Those who know me best also know that I am not an existentialist through and through. If fact, some of my personal guiding truths completely contradict existential thought. However, there is so much in the existential philosophy that is woven into my own perspectives that it is difficult to separate what is and isn't existentialism.

My perspectives are very eclectic. Mainly, I am a Unitarian Universalist, and there are many threads of existentialist thoughts interwoven thoughout the UU philosophies.

--Rob

9. Lights

Lights Lights

I would like to remember and know so that I do not repeat last life's mistakes...i would like to one day go HOME which for me is with my wife and children from last life.

10. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

Hi Lights!

What do you do in your current life?

11. Lights

Lights Lights

Well, a couple of things:

1)I am working on a TITANIC novel
    2)I am a nursing assistant, getting ready to go to school to train for massage therapy certification.

12. Artzab

Artzab AS2

Well, I don't think I remembered my past lives because I wanted to remember, but I do think it is important to remember some things about past lives, especially if it relates to your present life or tells you something about yourself. I also think it is important to remember past lives to be able to share with others the memories a person has. I think it's important not to feel superior to other souls because one soul lived a life others haven't. Reincarnation and sharing past lives should be about learning and understanding how each soul got to be where they are today. I think that if everyone were more open to reincarnation and past lives it would make the world a more caring and understanding place.

13. kskshadow

kskshadow Senior Registered

I want to remember people in my past lives, who are now sharing this life with me. What their roles were in my pl, were they friends, relatives, lovers, children, etc.

What promped us to reunite in this life? Are we spiritualy connected in some way?

14. frodo

frodo New Member

I want to remember because I think there were a lot of lessons I learned the hard way in those lives and I want to bring them to the present. I think it will help me in the present, and probably the future. Secondly I want to know myself better. If I know that some of my quirks came from the past lives, then I know how to deal with them. I suspect, for instance that I died in one past life by falling off something high. To this day, I'm afraid of hieghts. If I know that, then when I feel that fear I can tell myself that I fell a long time ago and it's not likely to happen again.

15. Lights

Lights Lights

I don't think I remembered my last life either, because I wanted to...it just happened...trust me there are some parts of that which still terrify me when I have flashbacks!...it just happened...starting at maybe eight and getting clearer and clearer as time went on...

16. Fab

Fab Senior Registered

Why do you want to remember?

I want to remember so i can understand WHY i am here today...
    I want to remember my previous "mistakes" so i can understand the lessons i need to learn...:)
    I want to remember so i can forget...

17. Athlynne

Athlynne Senior Registered

If you don't remember your life, you may not remember what you learned from it. I want to remember my past lives, and one in particular, because I want to see where I've been, and remind myself that I'm capable of surviving through anything. I want to know everything about myself, the soul self, not just the body I'm in now. I want to find the people I knew and loved in that particular previous life and make amends to them.

As for God, it's not really a question of remembering for me. I see God in everything.

Great topic, and questions worth answering.

18. starchild

starchild Senior Registered

I also want to know where I've been and what I've carried through in the life I have now, so that if there is a karmic debt I have to pay (and I'm sure there is), I'd like to be able to settle up on it. Plus, I think it's kinda cool to know your history, and not just the one you creat in this life.

19. Mysterysoul

Mysterysoul Senior Registered

I want to remember because in this life i feel not completely at home,and theres somthing missing
    so remembering would put the puzzle together and to learn from mistakes or from experience

20. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

An older thread, but an interesting question.....

Do any new members have something to add to the discussion?

Ailish

21. Amy

Amy Senior Registered

I originally wanted to remember my PL to see if I could be healed of the debilitating panic attacks that I endure. Since then I've learned so much that I want to expand my knowledge of my true spirit self and advance spiritually. I feel that there is so much more to life than what I experience before me at this present time. I know that I am here for a reason and that I've been here before as well. I intend to find out why I'm here and do what I came to do.

22. Val

Val Member

Why remember

I want to remember so that I can see the big picture. It gives me a sense of security to know, " I am suffering through this for a reason."

23. Quintessence

Quintessence No One

I think that being in touch with yourself can aid in progression. This may include a certain amount of past life knowledge in order to understand yourself a lot better.
    I've desired to remember for numerous reasons. Nowadays I allow myself to be guided. I think whatever I can heal and grow from is a positive thing.

24. MARGO

MARGO New Member

I want to remember so i can heal all pain ask forgiveness and forgive, one more time meet people and finally resolve
    issues that left unresolved.

25. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    I want to remember - rather, I seek validation for the anomalous memories from a life outside my own. Should I be able to prove that, to my satisfaction, I will know that the human consciousness lives beyond the constraints of the physical body, and that consciousness survives bodily death.

Michal

26. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

I want to remember because I have an urge to do so. I feel like a detective trying to piece together the pieces in a great puzzle. First and foremost to learn who I am beyond my present name and materiel life, I seek to have an understanding of how life works, why I meet the people I meet and end up in various situations.

Basically I seek meaningfulness and trust in that it's not over when "it's over".

27. caterpillar

caterpillar New Member

I want perspective. I'd like to know why I am who I am, why I'm in this life, in this body, in this family, etc., and knowing who I was I think will help me understand better who I am today.

28. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I, like Artzab above, didn't choose to remember, at least not consciously. The evolution of my story took place over several years. But the revelation has been an incredible growth for me. Initially when I pursued the memory it was out of desperation to explain the chaos I was going through. Now that I know...I want to remember (as I think I am suppose to) so that I can grow and prosper in a soulful way. I see it all as a journey...and the desire to remember is part of the path.
    Tinkerman

29. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

It is important for me to remember - although I have met others who react negatively towards me for doing so. Some have said I'm 'living in the past' or 'holding onto the past'.

What they don't realize is that because I didn't reincarnate by birth - if I don't remember and connect with who I AM, then there literally is nothing. I cannot be someone who I am not, nor would I want to be.

I don't even know if I could describe it in a way others would understand but perhaps I can (warning - I'm not the most eloquent person in the world).

Imagine if someone told you to deny your present identity. Imagine if they also told you to forget who your present day parents are, to forget about any siblings or spouse (should you have any) and to totally deny every thing you've experienced in your current lifetime. Simply put - deny that you exist and your reality.

That's what the people tell me when they tell me that I need to let go of who I am, etc. They don't realize that by asking me to get rid of my memories, that they are essentially asking me to get rid of my life.

This is why it is important to me.

30. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

This is a great question.

There is one word, one question that has been a guiding force in my life - "Why?" I always want to know 'why'. I think it's what pushed me towards studying in the field of psychology. I'm fascinated by people and want to know what their motivations are and why they do what they do.

My favorite TV show is 'House' and in this weeks episode they talked about Dr. House being addicted to the puzzle. I am much the same way, and past lives brings a whole different level to the question of why people do what they do. I notice things about people and wonder to myself, "Gee, what has this soul experienced? What journeys has it been through?"

Why do I want to remember? I admit to being curious and fascinated by my own quirks, idiocracies, and, well...issues. Why do I do that? Where does that come from? Why can't I get over this? ...and so on. I now know that there is so much more to me than the face staring back at me in the mirror. My sum total is much greater than the profile on my drivers license. I'm an eternal being that is an accumulation of countless physical experiences.

It's fun and satisfying to understand myself at such depth. I've learned self-acceptance at a level that I never knew possible. I can look at something like - ok, I know that the reason I get weird flashbacks when I'm around fire is because I was burned at the stake in the 16th century. It's no big deal. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with me. That's just something that's part of my experience and it's ok. The fire is just a memory trigger for me.

Remembering means to me understanding and accepting myself at a deeper and more intimate level. It's knowing that I've experienced so many interesting things in the past and will continue to in the future. And through it all, I am an indestructable force that will keep rising from the ashes like a phoenix over and over again.

And I get to try to put the pieces to the puzzle together. :D