Would you go public?

Discussion in 'Children's Past Lives -Age 7 & under' started by Deborah, Mar 7, 2007.

?

Would you go public?

1. Yes, absolutely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, absolutely not

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Yes, but our real names would be with-held

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I am curious if parents who frequent this forum would go public. If you had the opportunity to go public - on TV - in a book, in a magazine (whether or not you have children or if your child has memories - or not); how would you feel about the world knowing? The interviews, the television shows, a movie?

I often wonder if the reason we don't hear about cases often -is because parents are not willing to go public. After all - there is no one more protective of a child - than their mother or father - or both. ;).

This is by no means a scientific poll - but I am just curious what the ratio would be. It is also a private poll - no one will know how you voted...it is just numbers.

2. vicky

vicky Senior Member

I've always had a lot of respect for Andrea Leninger for coming forward with James' story. Surely stories like that of James has made it so so much easier for moms like me who have children with somewhat vaguer memories.

Its a tough question. I don't even like to use my son's name on this forum. If my son's memories were more provable and if he was still willing to talk about them and if his father was more on board, I'd do it. None of that is likely to change and it seems he is starting to forget his memories so my answer is probably not.

Vicky

3. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with Vicky on Leninger...an interesting case.

I answered no, at least right now. I would not want to expose them to that degree of attention. My one son who is very much apart of my own past life in 1900 knows nothing about it. But my eldest does. Its a private thing for me.

Now my hesitation would be less if it were a matter of study with experts in the field. And if it were a serious study with professional standards. No "limelight"

Childhood is such a fragile time. To draw an inordinate amount of attention to it just seems (IMO) counter productive.

Good question Deb.

Tman

4. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

Yes Tinkerman I agree.

If it was a matter of furthering knowledge on the subject I would probably be very cooperative (if my kid had a compelling memory of some kind and I thought the child would cope with it alright) but to expose a kid to the media and goodness knows what else for the sake of it? Probably not.

5. vicky

vicky Senior Member

We might be getting a clearer picture of why people don't hear about children with memories very often.

6. Deborah

Thank you all for posting your thoughts.

I know for a fact, that there are parents who never post here on the forum - but do contact Carol for advise. I know there are some awesome cases posted in this section; problem is - the parent posts only a brief synopsis and after reading replies and finding some resources - never comes back. They have found the information or resources they are looking for. I hope members continue to vote and post their thoughts.

The forum is filled with conjecture, speculation, research, and a few major compelling cases. Adult personal experiences dominate the forum. As adults we can make the choice to share - or not. Yet, it is the children's cases that are looked upon as being the MOST compelling cases. Kind of a catch 22 IMO.

Perhaps we can ask that parents take notes, keep a journal and give it to the child in the future - when they can make their own choices. In the meantime, I give kudos to the parents who have made the choice to go public. After all, we have no way of knowing how many lives have been changed for the better because they did. How many children's past life utterances are now being viewed with understanding and with compassion. Not to mention how many tragic losses have moved from grief...to grace.

7. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

I voted "maybe" for pretty much the same reasons others above. I would hate it, if going public would somehow hurt my baby, but I do realise the value of doing that.

Most of all I think my spouse wouldn't be comfortable with that and it would have to be a mutual decision... So probably not.

Karoliina

8. Kay

Kay Senior Registered

I think it would be wonderful if more parents could feel safe enough to go public with their childs memories. It would give more public awareness to reincarnation and especially if there were alot of cases reported but I can completely understand the reasons why so many don't.

Kind Regards
    Kay

9. Carol

Carol Author

Interesting post. I've been dealing with this issue since I started doing this research about 18 years ago.

I do receive many private emails with wonderful cases of children's memories. But almost all of them decline to go public, that is, to appear on TV, because they don't want to expose their child or family to criticism, especially from other family members who do not believe in reincarnation. That's perhaps the biggest obstacle in getting this information out to the largest audience, the most public way being through TV. I have permission to use some wonderful cases in books, articles, and lectures, but parents will not make public appearances.

I am so grateful to those parents who joined me on Oprah and some other programs I've done, and to the Leiningers. These parents believed that their stories could help other parents who are going through similiar things with their own children, and they saw the benefit in knowing that this is normal, and that it's really beneficial to help children process these memories. I trust that more people will come forward, but it's slow going.

Every day, when I check my email, I hope to find another great case in which the parents are willing to go public. It will happen.

Also, I have great hopes that some film or TV producer will realize how amazing this phenomenon is, and that someone will write a really great fictionalized screenplay, like "The Sixth Sense", and people will be as captivated with children's past lives as they are with mediumship.

10. Curtis

Curtis New Member

I voted "Maybe." This in spite of the fact that I have posted significant information about my life publicly on the internet (easily proven with a Google search). My real answer is more like "Maybe, but not very likely."

I drew the line in regard to publicly divulging information about anyone who was/is not in a position to make a fully informed decision about whether they were OK with my doing so. Even today, with my kids being 20 and 23, there is little I will say about them publicly without asking their permission.

Part of this concern, when kids are younger, is that they can and will tease each other without mercy. I recall reading an account on this Forum where the cousin of a younster teased him about things he said related to a possible past life. Risking subjecting kids to ridicule is a step only to be taken with great care and caution.

To me, it is not a matter of whether the parents who do "go public" are brave or courageous. Adults either know or should know the potential consequences of their actions and can prepare for this. On the other hand, it can be the children who "pay the price" yet have little or no say in the matter and even less idea of the price.

Having said all of this I do appreciate those who have come forward to give us all a glimpse of a part of reality that many have never heard about. I know I was unaware of this phenomena not all that many years ago. Only after reading about this did it hit me like a brick all of those times I have heard kids say, "When I was big......."

Ultimately this inspired me to write a short story pertaining to a psychologist who runs into the phenomena by accident (placed 3rd in a nationwide contest). So, maybe someday someone will write a good screenplay about the subject, but I suspect it won't be me.

Curtis
    Phoenix, AZ

11. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

I think that’s a great question. I don’t have children -- yet -- but I can understand how some parents may not want all of the media attention focused on their child.

I voted maybe – but with a strong sway towards the “yes” side.

I think that for me personally – a lot would depend on the child. I’d have to be certain that she was able to handle that type of attention and was comfortable speaking about her experiences with others (hopefully I would be able to instill that sense of confidence in her ;)). A lot would also depend upon how the story was being presented and who was presenting it – what type of credentials they had, etc. If Carol were presenting it – I would have no problem because her love and compassion for children simply shines through in her work.

I absolutely agree. It’s not a common experience in our Western society to hear children’s past life stories and without those wonderfully brave parents & children paving the way – we’d know even less about it. That’s why I am swayed towards the “yes” side – because the children’s stories are so compelling and so important to the study and research regarding reincarnation.

Aili :)

12. Amy

Amy Senior Registered

I voted yes if our names were kept hidden.

I completely agree with this statement. I don't want my child ridiculed by those who aren't knowledgeable enough to make an informed assessment.

13. Carol

Carol Author

I think you all bring up some important points about publicizing children's cases, and the difficuly in bringing these cases to the general public in a truthful way. I think that all factors have to be weighed by parents.

When I got the call from Oprah's producer in 1994, before I wrote my first book, I felt that to further the research and get the book published I had to appear on the show. I knew it was a golden opportunity to get this material out to the public. My kids agreed to help, but they were 11 and 14 at the time. Regrettably, Chase was teased by a couple of boys at his school who had "religious" parents. I talked to Chase about it, and he was still glad that he did the Oprah show, and went on to appear on others. Now, at 24, he is very open to talking about his experiences publicly.

The other parents who participated in TV programs with me didn't report any problems with their kids, as I recall.

So, in my case, I felt very strongly that it was the right thing for me to do. As I've said, other parents have reservations, and I completely understand that.

In the case of the Leiningers, going public on ABC seemed to be part of the unfolding of the case. You would think that they might get some negative feedback living in a small city in Louisiana. But that didn't happen, as far as I know. And, the case continues to unfold with James and the media around it.

14. omeomy

omeomy New Member

Child's right to a "normal" life.

It's been a long, long time since I've posted here but I had to comment on this one. I'm pretty much convinced that my Gradson #1 is my own Son reincarnated. But that's MY conviction/desperate hope/longing/whatever and I did/do not feel that I have the right to influence my Grandson in this regard.

I certainly don't condemn anyone whose decision differs from mine. We each must do what we feel or know is best.

The list of my "proofs" is considerable...nothing earth shattering, just many family related comments which he made quite frequently when he was younger. Whenever he made these heart-stopping remarks I forced myself to remain calm and ask questions, but he usually became quickly distracted by something else which had caught his attention, so I never, ever pressed.

The number 43 was highly significant for my Son and me (long story). My Grandson was born at precisely 4:30am on the name day of a saint who has my Son's name. (no, we are not religious and it was almost a year before I happened to notice the name/date on another person's calender).

Hard as it was to stop myself rushing to the hospital immediately, I waited for what seemed like an eternity and entered their room at 4:29pm where my smiling Daughter held him out for me to hold. I very nearly fainted from elation, the light seemed to get brighter and, I swear, I could hear classical jubilant music (like Hallelulah!) welling up all around us. As I held this tiny 12 hour old child against my chest he reached over and grasped my locket...the same locket my Son had given me so many years before and which I never take off...at 4:30pm.

Grandson#1 recently turned 10 and doesn't make arresting comments any more. He does "know" his uncle and keeps a photo on his desk and loves nothing better than to hear family stories about when his Mom and Uncle were little and the mischief they got into.

I think I made the right decision but I have left a detailed letter, listing all the proofs, for my Daughter to open after my death. She can decide what best to do with it.

One other important thing is that when my Son was around 9, on a rainy afternoon we were sitting talking about what folks believe in and why.As I explained the theory of Reincarnation my Son looked at me with a suddenly bright face (like he "got it") and exclaimed "so that's the way it is!" Thereafter, he always believed in Reincarnation, quietly and firmly believed; never trying to convince others, but never doubting.

15. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Hi omeomy,

Welcome back! Thank you for sharing your thoughts -- and your story -- with us. It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your Grandson.

How wonderful for him that you took the time to document everything. Imo -- that is such an important thing to do -- a gift straight from the heart. My grandmother kept a journal for me when I was small and it has proven to be a very valuable resource in validating some of my experiences.

Whatever your daughter chooses to do with the information, I'm sure will be the right choice for her son. And there is always the thought -- that should your Grandson choose to search for answers on his own some day -- he will have a wonderful place to start.

Ailish :)

16. mommy2simon

mommy2simon New Member

i would absoutely go public.
    kim

17. Deborah

Hi Kim,

Right on - a courageous and brave soul willing to speak out! It is a very personal choice and a difficult one for most.

18. enyeo

enyeo New Member

I don't have a child, so I won't answer the poll, but I have some questions.

How many adults have gone public? There don't seem to be that many.

What are the reasons for that? What kind of problems are involved?

If there are problems that keep adults from coming forward with their stories, why should a parent put a child in the public eye?

enyeo

19. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Enyeo said....

I'd venture it is a fair number, but it tends to not be all that "public". Kind of like the "public" on the adult portion of this forum. People talk about their past life experience, but their identities are somewhat protected, and they are not exactly "outting" themselves to their neighbors and co-workers.

Enyeo said....

People are generally a little wary of presenting themselves in a way that might get them perceived as "crazy" by those who are a little less accepting of such possibilities.

I know I will talk to certain people about various paranormal issues that I wouldn't talked about with just anyone or everyone. One seldom wants their thoughts and opinions to be discounted because people have taken to thinking of them as "the kook next door."

Enyeo said....

Generally most people don't really have a venue in which to really "go public." The issue with kids tends to be a little different because the stories tend to be a little more "news worthy" (despite not being news in the traditional sense). When a 5 year old relates things they couldn't possibly know about there is an almost instant validation that is seldom accessible to an adult who talks about a past life they could have read about, seen in a movie, or just invented. This is particularly true of children who just spontaneously recall events rather than recalling something by virtue of an altered state of conciousness via a "past life regression."

Enyeo said....

And this is the crux of the matter particularly in a truely public venue. I've always wondered this about any situation where a child is exposed to a large degree of truely public scrutiny regarding something that is outside the mainstream (not just past lives). My concern is how other kids will treat a child who has become public in this way. Kids can be amazingly cruel to one another.

Curtis

Phoenix, Arizona

20. Mommyof2

Mommyof2 New Member

I would go public but not want our real names revealed just because my family has some stalkers out there, but I think if more people came forward, the awareness would grow and it would maybe inspire others to come forward also.

21. mara

mara Member

I found it very important to share PLmemories. But: only anonym, no real names. I haven´t got children on my own but I won´t see my niece exposed to the mass media with all the consequences. I think it is not necessary to go puplic personally, an anonym form would be enough (I love to read PL stories- so please don´t stop posting!). I wish that more parents will allow Carol to share their childrens memories anonym.

I would prefer publication in book, forum or magazine but no TV, no interviews, no movie- the most important thing of PLmemories is the spiritual meaning. I would fear that TV shows/movies would create perhaps stars. I have read the heart warming thread with the little boy who is maybe the reinkarnation of Einstein. This boy shown in TV? His life would change complete!

I found it very important to keep the privacy of everyone and specially of children.

It is already for adults difficult to talk about it- as Curtis said.

The believe in PL is an experience everybody must make on his own, I don`t think that we have to bring more evidence, for in my opinion it is not a matter of missing facts that the knowledge of the existence of PLs is not current.

Each soul has deep inside the knowledge about it but the ego has great problems to accept it.

In Germany some popular prominents have talked about their PL. About a year ago a famous comedian has written shortly about his PL- regression- as Franciscan near Breslau in WWII -very heart touching. The comment were varied, some "serious" magazine etc jeered about him but the biggest popular newspaper puplished it online :thumbsup:

The critics find fault also in other PLs of other prominents and complained that they all were "good" guys in PL, no Nazis and so on.

Barbro Karlén, author of a book in which she claimed to be the reincarnation of Anne Frank has got very bad critzm here in Germany, she has written about the "absolute indestructibility of the soul" and a lot of people attacked her for this sentence for they blamed her to devaluate the Holocaust.

22. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with you Mara, it is a spiritual thing. And I am certain that the truth resides deep inside each of us. The ego, the celebrity-nouveau, and the sensationalism are the things that, IMO, inhibit the serious knowledge of reincarnation. Unfortunately the world is allowing magazines and media to paint their thoughts on the subject. There have been several good, serious programs (like the one ABC did on Jimmy Linneger) but for the most part criticism sells more than educated discourse. As a result many hide their beliefs, yet I'm certain a vast majority of western people have at least a curious belief in reincarnation. I believe it's almost innate.

I personally do not hide my beliefs, yet I don't carry them like a neon sign. I take them very seriously and spiritually, and choose to share them with people on common ground. As I said sometime ago in this thread, I would not take my children public, it's just something I wouldn't subject them too. I guess I do not see it's value and purpose in relation to their development. I could see allowing professional researchers to speak with them, perhaps always under a pseudonym as you stated.

I wonder what the rest of you think... what will it take for the western world to accept reincarnation as a serious matter? Is "going public" the answer? What I find offensive is it's dismissal as a "new age" concept! It has been studied and recognized for as long as humans have been around. For such an old idea it doesn't get a lot of respect.

I agree whole heartedly with your statement:

Have a great day.

Tinkerman

23. Malaikah

Malaikah New Member

Public?

I would say "maybe" at this point until I explored my children's comments and stories further to the degree it was determined this is a definate possibility. Personally, I am inclined to believe them. I just wouldnt want them set up to be "freaks" or "laughing stock" by others.

24. Mysticangel3

Mysticangel3 Love has no boundaries

Deborah, thank you for writting this. I posted about my story earlier and am reading now. I love your mention of moving from Grief to Grace. It describes exactly what I am feeling today as the knowledge settles in. Thank you.

Love and Light,

25. Deborah

You are very welcome Mysticangel3. hug2.gif I have been away for a few days -- but will read your post soon. I hope you enjoy the forum.

26. Mysticangel3

Mysticangel3 Love has no boundaries

I personally would not go public (except that this forum is a public venue) as far as TV, Radio or print publication. I will write my memories of things that have happened and IF Nikki brings it up one day in the distant future I will give it to her then if she decides to do something with it then that will be her decision. It is important that I remember that her memories will and are fading now, our life together may or may not be important to her continual learning.

IF a person feels strongly about going public then I personally believe that this would be part of their mission here so there should be no judgement placed on this decision. With the connection of a Parent and Child I believe that there would be an unwritten "contract" that this was to happen previous to birth.

There would be a lot of pit falls to doing this but should ones be compelled to go public then they would also be equally up for the challenge.

Just my humble opinion. Please take what you want and disregard what is not true for you.

Love and Light,

27. PaperMoon

PaperMoon Lived before

I think a lot of people are unwilling to go public. I might it would have to depend on how much my kid remembers etc. If my kid remembers so much detail like the kid in the other show who was a WWII fighter and remembered his past life name, his past life sister's name, the men he flew with, what kind of plane he flew and stuff like that and where they actually looked those people up and the people all verified that they did know a man by the name the kid said his past life name was and they said the person they knew by that name did die just like how the boy said he did and even the boy's sister in his past life verified the nickname that the kid remembered calling her and other things that a 3 yr old from another part of the country could never know, if it's stuff like that that my kid can't stop talking about it etc, then I would go public. :thumbsup::thumbsup: But if it's small things that only I would know that my kid could not possibly know that on his own but people who did not know me would not be able to tell it's real, then I might not.
    ;) Even though I know it's real I don't see the point in going public for small little broken details or past life memories that can't be proven or verified and are really vague etc. I would love to know about it and hear my kid discuss it but not to go public with it and invite people to criticize and not believe etc. :) But a past life memory that can be verified and prove to people that past life is real I would think would be good for the public to know.

28. Frerotte

Frerotte Senior Registered

Maybe - it would depend as someone mentioned before on the strength of the details and the kind of publicity that was offered.

29. alaskanlaughter

alaskanlaughter Senior Registered

Thanks for bringing this one up again. I must have missed it before.

I voted "maybe" because my choice would depend on the age of my child. I definitely would go public with it if my child was very young, because I believe this is an important thing in general to bring to people's attention. Hopefully we could make other families feel less isolated.

However if my child was older-elementary age or into high school, I would definitely want to consider their thoughts and feelings about going public and be respectful of how comfortable or not they might be.

30. Skarphedinn

Skarphedinn Member

I have voted absolutely not, as I live in quite an intolerant society, and I am also well aware of the fact, that I think different from what is generally accepted around me.

Fortunately my beloved fair maiden respects my thoughts, and so do one or two friends.

Skarphedinn