• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

A Possible Case of Xenoglossy?

Alexnovo

Senior Registered
I found this article to be interesting. It is from a few years back, but I searched and didn’t find a reference to it in other threads. It is from Pravda and reports on the findings of a Dr. Vladimir Zatovka, at the Kaliningrad regional hospital. Among other things the article says:

One of the doctor's patients, Irina Lakoba was in coma for about a month after she seriously suffered in a traffic accident. She recovered from coma and turned out to be quite a different person. Before the accident, the woman worked as an engineer at a large fish company for twenty years. But when she regained consciousness after the coma, the woman said she saw herself being a little girl standing on the bank of some south river and even began speaking some strange language. Experts from the philology department of the Kaliningrad University stated that was one of Swahili dialects. Later, the woman began composing verses in this dialect and even translated them into Russian, English and French, the languages that she had never learnt before the accident.

Has anyone heard of this case? Of this Doctor? Pravda may not have the best reputation in the West (due to all of the Cold War controversies) but it is a real news agency, so I assume that on stories like this, I can take it seriously. It has also been my impression that Russian scientists have generally been more willing than those in West to consider and study things that do not fit into the 'accepted scientific worldview.' Therefore I wonder if anyone knows if this Doctor or others in Russia are conducting any reincarnation research that is not making news here?

On an aside, that may be pure coincidence (and yes I believe that sometimes coincidences do happen), Kaliningrad is the Russian city founded upon the ruins of Königsberg, and the Kaliningrad University referred to in article was one of the names used by the former University that was the subject of this thread. I don´t think there is any other connection to the two, but it was interesting.

Hm, most interesting :) I was quite excited until you mentioned the link with the "fraud" story in the other link. Can we trust it now? ;) It's an amazing story. It's quite alike others I've heard before with people waking from a coma and speaking a different language or dialect, so it's certainly possible that it's true.

Have you googled the doctor?

Do you think that the brain is like a computer in that all those things -- like remembering a foreign language you never learned -- are stored stored away in physical structures like neurons and synapses?

I know there is a lot of ongoing research in memory and where memory resides in the brain but I don't feel the brain is like a storage device. How can a foreign language that you never learned be recalled after an accident (brain injury)? My thinking on this is that the brain is an interface device allowing us (who? spirits? humans?) access to the energy field of which we are part of. The ability to speak a new language may be the new found ability to access something that is stored in a universal stream of memories and perhaps your own memory from another incarnation.

What are your thoughts about that?

Sunniva; As to Vladimir Zatovka, I did try to find information on him. Most Google hits refer back to this article. There are other hits but with Russian language websites. I cannot read them, so I am unsure as to what they say, or even if it is the same person. Perhaps someone else here can speak Russian and if so they could let us know what they find.

Another person quoted in the article as saying “the reincarnation phenomenon is undoubted,” is Vlail Kaznacheyev. I did search his name as well, and he is a Member of the Russian Academy of Science and has published extensively on a number of subjects. He was also a source for much of the information in several books detailing non-mainstream scientific research in Soviet Union including Psychic Discoveries: The Iron Curtain Lifted, 1997.

Stardis, You raise an interesting question. As I see your question, correct me if I am wrong, you are essentially asking does the soul “download” all of its memories into the human brain when it inhabits a body, or does the human brain merely have the ability to access memory “files” of the soul (and perhaps a stream of other memories) which are “stored” elsewhere. I certainly do not have a definitive answer, but I have the feeling that the soul is consciousness and a part of that consciousness is the collection of memories. Whether that consciousness exists only in the body (during the body’s lifetime) or is outside it in some stream, I simply do not know. I am unsure whether we can actually know the answer to this right now. I am beginning to believe that the idea of the holographic principal is getting close to the truth, and therefore think that what we perceive as reality is just a small part of it. If this is true, I suspect that human soul as it exists in that part of reality which we observe is contained in the human mind while we are living, but that in the greater reality (the part that we cannot observe), the soul exists in broader dimensions which we cannot as of yet understand.

Here's an interesting paper

That talks about "genetic memory" as a possible explanation for past life recall. I don't buy this so much as the holographic explanation, though, which might also explain the strange experiment results (and the 100th monkey syndrome) because there is so much past life evidence that has to do with people clearly not descended from each other.

http://www.cyjack.com/cognition/Genetic%20Memory.pdf

The theory of genetic memory is an other attempt to prove, that the only way to store information is through material. Those who have accessed past life memories might know, that there is another way, but Jung also believed in non-materialistic information storage as it was the basis of his theory of collective unconsciousness and the archetypes.

However, I don't have a clue, how this process is carried out. I think, this is the main barrier to most scientists to believe either in past life experiences or in the Jungian psychology/phylosophy; science requires to know the exact source knowledge comes from.

Skarphedinn

Jody, thanks for the link. That was interesting. Like you, I am more of a believer in the holographic theory than any sort of memory stored in the DNA. I think that an excellent case against any theory of past life memory being stored in physical structures is the abundance of evidence that is available from the past lives of children. Instances where there is no familial connection would rule out DNA for sure - I would think. I think that the story of James Leininger is an excellent example of someone with memories that defy the DNA theory. Also, Chris's past life is one that defies the DNA theory.

Skarphedinn, I like the way you put it:

The theory of genetic memory is an other attempt to prove, that the only way to store information is through material. Those who have accessed past life memories might know, that there is another way, but Jung also believed in non-materialistic information storage as it was the basis of his theory of collective unconsciousness and the archetypes.

Since the Soul is "Eternal" (never-ending and reincarnates), it's also electromagnetic and 'imprints' upon itself everything that has ever occured in a lifetime; thoughts, actions, injuries ect. When you reincarnate, all that goes with you into your next body and 'co-exists' with the body/mind intelligence of that new baby body. This is why you can recall different languages after an injury, coma or under hypnosis. It's simply part of your Soul's vast memory reservoir (that 90% junk DNA science says our mind has left over). They have done experiments on people who are about to die by weighing them before death and immediately after death and the weight is different by a couple ounces. Does that mean our Soul weighs a couple ounces? Maybe. There is much we don't know but it's fascinating finding out!

~Zengirl

genetic memory

I find it hard to believe that genetic memory could explain past life memories. If past life memories were merely genetic memories, wouldn't my siblings and I (and my parents and my cousins) all have the same past life memories? Everybody in any given family would have the same past life memories. I haven't heard of any cases of that happening.

Don Quixote said:
I find it hard to believe that genetic memory could explain past life memories. If past life memories were merely genetic memories, wouldn't my siblings and I (and my parents and my cousins) all have the same past life memories? Everybody in any given family would have the same past life memories. I haven't heard of any cases of that happening.
This is a very good point. Genetic memory is a theory that I have have a hard time seeing. To me it is a weak explaination filled with holes. How do they explain someone having memories of being part of a different race or culture? For example, what if someone has memories of a life in Japan but has no Japanese heritage in their family?

Xenoglossy -- Is it acquired by DNA, Telepathy, or Reincarnation?

Thank's for revisiting this thread Don.

I agree with you, that genetic memory can't explain past life memories or skills, such as xenoglossy. DNA doesn't work in such a way that it would build a human body with such specific memories, skills and characteristics as described in the many cases that have been studied by academics around the world. Nor does it cross the boundaries of time, nationality, and race.

This subject reminds me of something that I read somewhere in this lifetime. Someone suggested that the physical brain is an earth-bound organic device very much like someone's personal computer, which exists contemporaneously with our spiritual mind. It is built strictly with the help of DNA, while the mind has infinite possibilities.

Let's say that each physical brain has a limited capacity for functioning and storing information, just like a personal computer. Using the personal computer as a metaphor of the physical brain, one may have a broad range of individual capabilities, which are limited only by DNA. In some cases you might have a person, who has a great deal of storage and RAM, while others may not have very much storage and very little processing power. However, the actual mind exists only with the soul, while it resides on this plane. It would be capable of unlimited knowledge in this world, if the equipment one inherits could handle the infinite volume of knowledge that is stored in a central repository of the spiritual plane.

Even though it has been suggested by experiments with tape worms that some acquired skills in the physical world can somehow be passed on through DNA, it doesn't explain how someone with totally different DNA can have the same knowledge, language skills and characteristics as someone unrelated and removed by generations and culture culture differences.

Another theory suggests that some form of telepathy exists, which enables a person's skills to transmit to another. Scientific experiments involving monkeys, mice and birds suggest that skills can, somehow, be transmitted to others without physical contact of any kind. It has been observed that as new ideas spread through a family or group, it seems to also cross a boundary where no contact was possible. We'll assume that we are talking about some form of telepathy.

Even though we have significant evidence that some forms of knowledge can be acquired in this manner, it doesn't explain how someone may acquire the knowledge and mannerisms which are said to have belonged to someone long dead and not related by nationality, culture or race. DNA is physically carried over by parentage; and telepathy seems to only occur among social groups that are related to and in close proximity to one's group or family in the same time frame.

Yet, we know that many people come into this world already equipped with knowledge that is not learned in this life. And some can possess certain language skills without the benefit of exposure to that language. Any mother, who is in tune with their child will testify that the child came into this world with a personality, knowledge and some degree of innate skill, sometimes including xenoglossy. They may possess the same appearance and memories of someone not related and long passed. Neither Inheritance nor Telepathy can explain how this happens. Reincarnation, therefore, cannot be easily dismissed in the majority of cases.

I would disagree, however that a soul may enter a new body with all of a person's acquired knowledge intact. Although this cannot be empirically proven, Some minds may be limited by inheritance or physical birth defects, which may affect the brain. The information is not lost because it is stored safely in the central knowledge depository, which is often referred to as the, "Akashic Record". A soul may choose to come back in a much more limited form in order to learn or impart a lesson to someone else.

conversely, a soul may choose to reincarnate with knowledge and skills that far exceed those of other people for some reason. Furthermore, a soul may chose to reenter this world as a savant with extensive capacity for knowledge, but with very limited reasoning.

I do feel, therefore, that the greatest volume of evidence and reasoning seems to point to reincarnation. Could anyone possibly suggest any other explanation?

Back