• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

A WWII memory?

ptrcancer

Since I was but a small child, two periods in time have fascinated me: the 1930s-1940s and the 1500s-1600s. In the case of the former, it is WWII that interests me the most, and the court of Queen Elizabeth I of England that interests me in the latter. I have a deep love for the people, music, clothing and events of both time periods and have often been told that I was born in the wrong day and age.

Quite some time ago however I had a very interesting and disturbingly vivid dream, and I am not one for lucid/vivid dreaming. Indeed, it is really the only truly vivid dream I have had. I would like to hear people's thoughts on the dream. Please note one or two details may be off because I've only recently put it to paper.

I awoke in a burning city, surrounded by high rising blocks with windows smashed and smoke pouring out of them. The sky was covered by smoke and I had been sleeping amongst a pile of rubble. As I rose from the hard stone floor, I realised I was in a dead-end road of sorts. It appeared to have once been a flat or office block. Somehow, I immediately recognised the city as being Berlin. As I realised where I was, I noticed that I was surrounded by soldiers dressed in the uniform of the Wehrmacht. One was knelt down behind some rubble, attempting to do something or another with a radio. There were four or five other soldiers dotted around the place holding machine guns, MP-40s most probably.

One of them approached me and spoke to me. All of his words were in German, yet I could understand them perfectly, even though I know only a few phrases and words of the language. He addressed me as 'Oberst', a Colonel. The soldier was telling me that we were out or almost out of ammunition. He gave a heavy machine gun to me, pointing out that it was empty and useless. I discarded it to the floor and instructed him to do something or another. I think I told him to search the buildings for supplies and ammo. Then, the man knelt by the radio approached me. He told me he had been unable to get it working – there was no hope of getting a signal from anything in Berlin. I ordered him to keep trying, and then reassured my men that we would escape this hell-hole. Then, a man started speaking loudly, but it was no one from my troop. We thought it was the radio, until a Wehrmacht truck drove by us in the next road, speakers blurting out a message. Again, the man spoke in German, but I could clearly understand him. He was urging us to surrender. After the truck rolled by, a large group of Russian troops marched by, weapons at the ready. My men wanted to fight, but I urged them to drop their weapons. They obeyed and the last thing I did was raise my hands into the air and shout “We surrender!”. Then I awoke.

The dream was so disturbingly vivid that when I woke up it felt like I had been teleported from somewhere else in the world, rather than dreaming. Does this sound like it could be a memory from a past life? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Ptrcancer,

It sounds like a possible past life dream to me. :) Have you read this post in the FAQ section? There is some good information about typical PL dreams.

Have you ever had any past life memories of the era - or Elizabethan England?

Karoliina

Hello

It sounds like a pl dream for two major aspects 1) you could understand another language 2) it was a tragic situation, something to remember. Plus, you have always been fascinated by the era.

Besides feeling transportated, what other things did you feel when you woke up? were you nervous? sad?

You said you have always been fascinated by WWII... also with Germany? how do you feel about that country?

What are your feelings when watching WWII movies?

Have you ever had any past life memories of the era - or Elizabethan England?
No, so far this is the only thing. I do however often feel a sense of familiarity when studying these periods, and I feel very familiar with the city of Berlin, even though I have never been there. I don't have any memories of Elizabethan England at the moment, but I am always drawn instantly to any reference to it. I feel an especial familiarity with the female clothing and lifestyle of the period. And I've since read the FAQ, and it seems to satisfy the usual criteria that is associated with a PL dream. :)
Charles Stuart - thank you for that collection of memories. It was a very fascinating read indeed.

Besides feeling transportated, what other things did you feel when you woke up? were you nervous? sad?
You said you have always been fascinated by WWII... also with Germany? how do you feel about that country?

What are your feelings when watching WWII movies?
The dream was very emotional for me. I did feel powerful senses of dread and fear, especially when the Russian troops appeared. This, as well as a feeling of relief (perhaps at the fact by surrendering I could finally stop fighting), carried over when I woke up. It felt as though I was still that person when I woke up. In the dream itself, I felt like the person I saw events through was me, and yet different at the same time.
I am indeed fascinated by Germany and I long to visit it someday. Whenever I play WWII games, I usually play exclusively as Germany. I greatly enjoy WWII films, especially those from the German perspective. Der Untergang is one such film, which just so happens to be about the Battle Of Berlin. I'll also reply to your PM shortly. :)

Hi ptrcancer :)

I wanted to tell you to watch Der Untergang - I just watched a few days ago and the scene you described from your dream corresponds very much with their interpretation of what happened.

Did that movie trigger any memories for you?

I wanted to tell you to watch Der Untergang - I just watched a few days ago and the scene you described from your dream corresponds very much with their interpretation of what happened.
Did that movie trigger any memories for you?
It's somewhat difficult to describe my reaction to Der Untergang. It didn't exactly trigger any memories for me, but I had a strange reaction to that film. Many of the scenes seemed oddly familiar to me (and it was later I later that I learnt the city scenes were filmed in a district of Saint Petersburg which was disturbingly like 1940s Berlin in architecture, hence why it was chosen), not so much those in the Führerbunker, but those in the city such as the opening bombing whilst Wehrmacht troops are moving supplies. The film also provokes a very strong emotional reaction from me, which is odd as I rarely feel such a reaction unless scenes in it are similar to things I've experienced in reality. I feel increasingly depressed as the film progressed and Germany gets beaten back, and I feel anger when Trudl and [the fictional] Peter move through the celebrating Russian crowds.

Also, this famous image has a disturbing familiarity to it. Infact, the road closest to the image on the left (the one blocked by debri, with a set of buildings either side) is virtually identical to the side-road I was at in the dream. The only difference is that I think that road continues onward instead of coming to a dead end like the one I dreamt of, and the road I dreamt of was turning off from another block of generic buildings.

Hi there ptrcancer; sounds like a PL dream to me because the Unities are all there - place, time and action. Do you often have this type of dream? Most people's dreams drift from time to time, place to place, action to action. As a result there's a familiar discord, suddenly I'm here, now I'm there, then a man with a funny hat pops up and someone I know appears, entirely out of context.

But this type of dream, which as well as being lucid and memorable (you'll be able to recall its atmosphere perfectly years from now), is also consistent internally and historically.

This is indeed most significant.

Michal

Hi

Colonel or oberst is a fairly high rank - have you tried to treck this down historicly - am sure there are archives and lists ofcolonels and what happend to them - maybe one of the names triggers something inside you - there might even be fotos - maybe you contact the german ambassy - as those diplomats speak english - maybe they can help you where to start searching. If you have problems with the language - I can help you - as German is my mother tongue ( I am austrian :) )

best wishes Clivia

Sunnyserpent - I can't find any records of Colonels in the Wehrmacht. It is a high rank, but not generally high enough to warrant a national list - and many records were probably destroyed anyway. Still, I can always bide my time and see if the universe decides to reveal more secrets to me. :)

Thank you all for your help.

Hi

I quickly went into google for you - typed in 'wehrmacht offiziere liste' - one of the links I found might be of interest for you as it contains a long list of names of high german officers - http://www.braunbuch.de/4-03.shtml - if you need any help with translation don't hesitate to ask

many of the other links that come up - can be translated anyhow

best wishes Clivia

ps

and one more link this time in english http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/369Berlin.html

ptrcancer said:
It's somewhat difficult to describe my reaction to Der Untergang. It didn't exactly trigger any memories for me, but I had a strange reaction to that film. Many of the scenes seemed oddly familiar to me (and it was later I later that I learnt the city scenes were filmed in a district of Saint Petersburg which was disturbingly like 1940s Berlin in architecture, hence why it was chosen), not so much those in the Führerbunker, but those in the city such as the opening bombing whilst Wehrmacht troops are moving supplies. The film also provokes a very strong emotional reaction from me, which is odd as I rarely feel such a reaction unless scenes in it are similar to things I've experienced in reality. I feel increasingly depressed as the film progressed and Germany gets beaten back, and I feel anger when Trudl and [the fictional] Peter move through the celebrating Russian crowds.
Interesting :) Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

sunnyserpent said:
Hi
I quickly went into google for you - typed in 'wehrmacht offiziere liste' - one of the links I found might be of interest for you as it contains a long list of names of high german officers - http://www.braunbuch.de/4-03.shtml - if you need any help with translation don't hesitate to ask

many of the other links that come up - can be translated anyhow

best wishes Clivia

ps

and one more link this time in english http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/369Berlin.html
Thank you for the links, the second one was an interesting (all though not exactly neutral) read indeed, but I couldn't find anything on the first one. I can't find anyone who was an Oberst in 1945, and none of the names seemed familiar to me anyway. Thank you though. :)

Interesting Thanks for sharing
Glad you enjoyed it. :)

my pleasure :) and if you or anybody else needs help with german really don't hesitate to ask

Clivia

ptrcancer said:
Sunnyserpent - I can't find any records of Colonels in the Wehrmacht. It is a high rank, but not generally high enough to warrant a national list - and many records were probably destroyed anyway. Still, I can always bide my time and see if the universe decides to reveal more secrets to me. :)
If you can get a name or other possible identification aid, you can contact the Bundes-Archiv at Lichterfelde Kaserne in Berlin. They have the most complete colllection of WWII service records in existence, and while you cannot just walk in from the street and get access, they're incredibly helpful people.

Hi ptrcancer,

I awoke in a burning city
When reading the rest of your dream, it seems to me that you probably didn't just wake up from sleep in that past life, but my guess is more like you had been attacked or so, and were unconscious for a while. I think this because you describe the men around you all desperately trying to make contact with the base, and checking their weapons etc. I don't think that amidst such activity a colonel would just take a nap...

Do you think this line of thought is reasonable? Maybe it gives you more insight in the memory/dream? Can it make you go back to before the incident you described? Just trying to be helpful...

Eevee

Eevee said:
When reading the rest of your dream, it seems to me that you probably didn't just wake up from sleep in that past life, but my guess is more like you had been attacked or so, and were unconscious for a while. I think this because you describe the men around you all desperately trying to make contact with the base, and checking their weapons etc. I don't think that amidst such activity a colonel would just take a nap...
I wasn't there, but I did research the Battle of Berlin-the bloodiest battle in history. The battle went on for a couple of weeks, and that's just Berlin. Most likely, they were not fresh troops to begin with. It's very possible the napping colonel grabbed a few winks out of sheer exhaustion.

It definitely sounds accurate, the destruction of the city, they ran out of ammo, trying to reach someone on the radio, the truck with the loudspeakers on it, and surrendering to the Russians.

It's a very difficult movie to watch, but I do recommend the movie Downfall/Der Untergang. It depicts 10 days of the Battle of Berlin in great detail.

Phoenix

Eevee said:
Hi ptrcancer,
Do you think this line of thought is reasonable? Maybe it gives you more insight in the memory/dream? Can it make you go back to before the incident you described? Just trying to be helpful...

Eevee
I don't think I was necesserily asleep, but rather lying down or sitting down for a moment. I used the term "awoke" to refer to the beginning - I didn't necesserily mean sleep. However, it is not too surprising for personnel to sleep one at a time in such drawn out battles when in small units - it is quite common actually. Officers/soldiers have often been known to take turns sleeping, especially in cities under siege. In battles like Stalingrad and Berlin, where troops often went missing and tried to fight their way back to their army, it was quite common for units to camp out and take turns resting before they moved on. A commanding officer would likely take the chance to nap whilst he could to try and stay as alert as possible when he needed to make a life or death decision. Still, thanks for the idea. :)
I wasn't there, but I did research the Battle of Berlin-the bloodiest battle in history. The battle went on for a couple of weeks, and that's just Berlin. Most likely, they were not fresh troops to begin with. It's very possible the napping colonel grabbed a few winks out of sheer exhaustion.
It definitely sounds accurate, the destruction of the city, they ran out of ammo, trying to reach someone on the radio, the truck with the loudspeakers on it, and surrendering to the Russians.

It's a very difficult movie to watch, but I do recommend the movie Downfall/Der Untergang. It depicts 10 days of the Battle of Berlin in great detail.
It was indeed one of the bloodiest battles in history (all though the title of THE bloodiest goes to the Siege of Stalingrad in terms of losses). If memory serves me right, many of the troops fighting in Berlin had not long retreated from Russian forces outside the city and were essentially just being thrown into even more bloodshed.
I have all ready seen Der Untergang (it is my all time favourite film), before the dream, all though there are distinct yet historically accurate differences (such as street layout and construction material) that make me certain the film was not the source of the dream. Weidling's voice was also distinctly different to the voice of the actor, yet at the same time I could immediately identify him when I realised where the broadcast was coming from.

From my second memory I now know that my first name was Hans, all though my surname was a mystery. I did run a search on any Colonel with the first name serving in Berlin and I succeeded in finding one man: Hans Reifor. He was Weilding's 'civil' Chief of Staff, all though historical records indicate he and the rest of Weidling's staff surrendered together at Landwehrkanal, which would rule him out.

Back