• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Buying momentoes of past lives?

Funny you should say

But I have always been intrigued with the Roaring 20's but then in the back of my head a voice always says" but it was dangerous times".

Lol

I just remembered as a child I used to try to make my arthritic Grandmother demo all the old dances. Sometimes she would show me slower stuff but I used to chant " do the jitterbug!"

You should go to gemshopping.com

They have alot period jewerly for sale

from 1800's to to present lots of 20's jewerly

Sometimes I get more memories seeing

that jewerly.

And yes the roaring 20's was dangerous

If you had lots of money you were pretty

safe.

LuckiestK said:
Last month, I bought the dantiest little compact from an antique store. I can't stop picking it up and opening it and stroking the little "pearl" design on the front. It is made of base metal and doesn't have the mirror or powder puff but I just love it anyway!
To post a picture, when replying to a message, look above the text box and you will see many icons. The yellow box says "insert image" if you hover your mouse over it. Use that to insert a .jpg picture.

Oh! That was easy. Thank you!This is the compact.

image.jpg

/monthly_2013_06/image.jpg.9fc92fa6642f819a0de4e0adcaf170aa.jpg

I bought a cheap set of panpipes because they reminded me of a past life when my father used to play them and he would also try to teach me how to play them as well.

I remember when I got them and held them for the first time, they didn't feel right, they felt much smaller and flimsier than they should. I lifted them to my mouth, and I felt like I should know how to play something straight away, it felt instinctive, but when I tried, there was just this awful noise and I haven't really bothered much with them since. They were very cheap though, and I think maybe my soul was a bit offended with my 'frugal' investment. :)

LuckiestK, is the metal gold-toned, or does it have a rose-gold tint to it? It's beautiful, never the less.

It's gold

I think the photo just picked some rose tones in the room.

Thank you, it has become a sort of touchstone in such a short time. I find myself picking it up randomly during conversation and always opening and closing it. Sometimes I feel like I will see my reflection in it's mirror even though I know when I open it there will be no mirror.

I once paid far too much for a striking black, white, and red retro dress.... Should I blame my California life? Oh my! I eventually gave it away because it was so distinctive that I couldn't wear it too often, and after a few washings the black was fading to grey. All in all, a disappointing experience. Bah. Though 1950 style "swing" dresses have always caught me, even when I have no place to wear them. I have a new skill. Look ... admire ... pose in front of the store mirror ... put it back. :rolleyes:

My oriental "goddess" life explains why objects with Asian dragons and phoenixes on them always catch me, even when I think the quality is atrocious. And now I finally realize why I refuse to get rid of my lovely Chinese-style blouse that's just a smidgen too small. :laugh: Thankfully, I'm too tired of "owning things" to buy most of the stuff I like.

Like some of you mentioned above, I can't stand the imitation swords they sell everywhere! My X used to buy them, but just one touch had me saying, "ugh! This is trash!" For someone who really doesn't know anything about swords, I hold a very strong opinion about their quality and balance. My samurai life explains that one, I think.

I have had an urge for several years to purchase a replica of the "Castellani Wedding Bracelet." It spells in Latin, "I will never give up on you". The reverse side spells, "You will never give up on me." Jacqueline Kennedy owned one. I have no association with her, but my Italian PL probably knew the Castellani family centuries earlier. My husband gave me a heart necklace with the first letters of "Dearest Heart" represented by precious stones. He bought it years before we met, when there was no special woman, and saved it for me. Both these pieces of jewelry are of Victorian origin. I am drawn to jewelry of that type, with words that represent a sentiment. I hope to discover the PL reason. In the meantime, am resisting buying that bracelet!

I would always get Indian clothes made when I went to India. I though this was just a sensible thing to do but now I think about it not many Europeans do wear traditional Indian dress traveling around there.

I loved my Indian clothes and can't bare to part with them, though they no where near fit me now.:laugh:

BriarRose said:
My husband gave me a heart necklace with the first letters of "Dearest Heart" represented by precious stones. He bought it years before we met, when there was no special woman, and saved it for me.
Awww! That's pretty neat, BriarRose.

Starrynight, I probably would do the same. I want a kimono! *laugh*

Kimonos and saris are so beautiful that any woman would want to wear them. I used to own a shift made of sari silk - possibly the most gorgeous garment I ever owned. I have a "thing" for 1920's beaded purses, and actually tried to force my daughter to wear a snood. I will never be forgiven for that lapse in maternal judgement! :laugh:

Last year I impulse bought a ladies military-style khaki jacket off ebay (and probably paid too much in the process!). It was very, very similar to the style of jackets worn by the British Army in WW1, right down to the button placement, pockets and epaulets (although being a ladies jacket it had a nice ‘skirt’ on the back). Unfortunately it was nearly, but not quite, my size, which was such a shame, it’s so hard to tell online. I’ve only recently managed to tear myself away from it and send it to charity, despite never having managed to wear it! I know I miss my old uniform deeply, but a jacket was never going to fix anything :rolleyes:

Hah, helz_belz, I too suffer from those ebay impulses. Ive far too many jackets than is good for a person and funny enough, a lot of them don't quiiiiite fit. Like you I had a GREAT one that I spent too much money for and then gave away. Oh, the curse of those past uniforms! (check out ralph lauren, theyve some great military inspired stuff and a lot of their vintage items are gorgeous and easy afforded on ebay. RL is the bane of my paycheques....)

I've got a small collection of pl related things that I either buy on impulse or even have bought for me. Books I've never finished reading, hats I dont wear out, insignia that Ill never sew on, and clothes that arent fit for a subtropical enivronment. On one hand I think collecting those things can be sort of fun, but on the other hand I do move a lot and sometimes I feel like it might add to the 'baggage' in more than one way. Ive been picking up some of these things since I was a kid, and I've even thought about a tattoo or something more permanent, but I think thatll stay on my 'wishlist' with so many other items that Ill control the impulse on.

It's an interesting theme of "not quite fitting" ... a physical demonstration that we are no longer the people who "fit" those clothes, etc. (I wonder ... if we are aware of this when we purchase, whether we might find/purchase what fits us and our life now more often?)

That's a wonderful point, Dreamer. The same is true about items from our current lives. They don't quite "fit", but we hang on anyway. Not me, so much - I am a champion at discarding past items from this life. I have kept a few beloved dresses that didn't "fit" for a long time, but eventually I "purge". Past life items, for me, aren't as painful as the quagmire of my current one. I can afford to be sentimental about past lives, but not this one. :)

Glad I'm not the only one Spatz :D Usually my ebay impulses are smaller (cap-badges, sweetheart brooches, vintage photographs), the jacket was the biggest! Will have to check out that designer, sounds interesting (but my bank account may disagree, I spend too much on ebay as it is, haha!). Not sure if I would ever have worn the jacket out and about anyway, it would have been a bit too 'odd' I feel. Good point Dreamer, maybe there's something subconscious going on with buying things that don't quite fit?

BriarRose said:
Kimonos and saris are so beautiful that any woman would want to wear them. I used to own a shift made of sari silk - possibly the most gorgeous garment I ever owned. I have a "thing" for 1920's beaded purses, and actually tried to force my daughter to wear a snood. I will never be forgiven for that lapse in maternal judgement! :laugh:
That sounds lovely Briar (the sari not the snood!LOl).

Something I've realised much as I loved the sari's I never got one. I tended to wear the wrap round skirts with with matching tops or trousers and long tunics.

I wonder if this is relevant to my muslim religion as oppossed to being hindu?

Suppose it's easy to carry habits over from life to life.

Next time I'll get that sari.

I'm impressed everyone knows what a "snood" is, starry! :laugh:We are a bunch of "closet historians".

I've often had impulses to buy posters with pin up gals on and war time jackets from ebay but alas, I have not the money spare to do so... I remember as a kid collecting military buttons, there was one specific one I would take out of the box and look at, running my fingers over the detail. I'll have to find a picture of one similar :)

ColourODarkness said:
I remember as a kid collecting military buttons, there was one specific one I would take out of the box and look at, running my fingers over the detail. I'll have to find a picture of one similar :)
There are one or two members here who could help with that if you could describe it in detail or find a photo online. Start by searching WWI buttons.

ColourODarkness said:
I've often had impulses to buy posters with pin up gals on and war time jackets from ebay but alas, I have not the money spare to do so... I remember as a kid collecting military buttons, there was one specific one I would take out of the box and look at, running my fingers over the detail. I'll have to find a picture of one similar :)
It would be great if you could find a picture and would like to share it ColourODarkness, would love to see that :)

Now some of you above were remarking on buying clothing items that just don't fit at times. Then count me into this group. I at times seem to get some more petite clothing items at times that don't quite fit. There is a second hand store here where I usually go. Guess my more recent past life, I was more petite in size them am now in this life.

But in my room. I have two Pocohontus Indian dolls which I sooooo Love! They have even gone with me on some trip before. No one has to tell me where this comes from. I also have a nice Native American Shawl which I wear at times around the place where I live. But as for buying a bunch of stuff, I don't buy much and am not a big consumer with more living a simple life and watching my money which do think can also be past life related.

Wishing Everyone the Best!

Well, some women don't tend to fit particularly well into articles of clothing made for men, like say... vintage uniforms. Buying clothes online can be tricky in and of itself, even when something is my size. But beyond that, those old things 'just not fitting' is a darn fitting metaphor (I intended that, wholly and with no apologies) and I'm sort of reminded of it every time I try something on or hold some old thing in my hands. It's just not the same, and I don't think it ever will be. There's a tunic I've got that is really cool but just doesn't fit well, and sometimes I catch glimpses of myself when I wear it out and think "This must look so stupid," but that doesn't really make wearing it feel any different.

This doesn't stop me from buying stuff though, and really enjoying it. Just got a repro pickelhaube, no regrets. I'll probably wear it to final exams with nary a rat's arse given. Old firearms are really cool too, and not needing them adds to the enjoyment of shooting as a sport. Hunting without being hunted is a fine activity, especially with a well-kept vintage firearm. Bolt-action rifles have a wonderfully familiar feel, and that feeling wouldn't be so wonderful alongside all the struggles and pain and trauma that might have accompanied them in the past. Sure, a longgun is hard for me to lift these days. Some things are better when they don't fit the same!

helz_belz said:
It would be great if you could find a picture and would like to share it ColourODarkness, would love to see that :)
I don't remember anything about the detail on the button, (It was around 13 years ago that I actually had it lol) only that there was quite a lot of it...

I feel like it was definitely domed like this one:

%24_35.JPG

And a similar colour, definitely brass, the design was different... A circular type design perhaps?? I feel like there was a circle around it or in it because I could run my thumb round the edge of it.

Any help with finding a button to match my memory is appreciated! x

Thats a nice button Colour! That one is Tank Corp, but all regiments had their own. They were often made into sweetheart brooches. This website has a good image list of the different British regimental cap badges from the First World War, maybe you'll recognise the regiment from your old button there? http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Regiments/CapBadges.html

helz_belz said:
Thats a nice button Colour! That one is Tank Corp, but all regiments had their own. They were often made into sweetheart brooches. This website has a good image list of the different British regimental cap badges from the First World War, maybe you'll recognise the regiment from your old button there? http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Regiments/CapBadges.html
Thanks Helz! The only one that seemed familiar to me is the Guards Machine Gun Battalion badge, but looking at the images I can find I don't think it's the design on my button... On the other hand, whilst looking up the buttons I found one that looked familiar!

9161600_orig.jpg

Back