• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Movies about reincarnation?

"Road movies"... Fandango, Easy Rider, Thelma & Louse, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. Actually any movie where main characters drive through USA. That idea of travelling freely makes me happy in a strange way.

"Virgin Suicides" makes me very emotional. I am not sad and definitely not happy; I can't describe those feelings. That movie is just so beautiful.

I also get weird feelings about any movies about outlaws and their gangs and mafia. I can't say that I enjoy watching cruelty but when I see some fights or gunfights I watch it very closely and if I have opportunity rewind at watch it over and over again.

18th century movies

There was another thread about historical movies but I couldn't find it.
For those who feel attracted to the 18th century
and who love good dialogues, watch this:

Ridicule
Quills

And though I think that Dangerous Liaisons is still the best,
these movies are absolutely worth watching.
There's also a film about the older Casanova
on the run for the French Revolution,
but I can't remember the title.
Anyone?

Curious Girl.

Grave of the Fireflies

Grave of the Fireflies:
It's an anime about two children who were orphans after world war II. When i saw this on TV I bawled my eyes out all the way thru... even had to leave the room to catch my breath many times. There was no other reason for my lack of composure.

Oddly enough, I did have a dream recently that said that I was NOT in Japan during WWII. That I was there about 100 years ago. That would explain why i have no guilt over Pearl Harber, but a lot of guilt toward Chinese people.

The Last Samurai moved me too.
Or maybe that was Shin ;)

There have been times when I've watched a tv show or a movie for the first time and I got a deja vuh feeling when I first watched it. One tv show was Family Ties the episode To Snatch A Keith. When I was watching it on TV Land one day I had a feeling like I had seen the episode before. Nothing in particular really, just a feeling of having seen it before. I grew up the majority of my life without cable, so it wasn't like I had much of a chance seeing it when I was younger. At first, I thought maybe I had seen it when the series aired on Vision TV, but I had taped episodes from Vision and looked through the episode titles and didn't see the episode title. Another time I was watching the film The Last Flight Of Noah's Ark. The scene where the kids sneak onto the plane at the last minute I thought was going to happen before I saw the scene unfolding. So, that was another film I felt deja vuh while watching. Anyone else have a similar experience when they see an episode of a tv show or watch a film for the first time?

Yes, there was one I saw with my parents when I was a kid. I think it was called "A Man for All Seasons", about Thomas A'Beckett (sp?). I was about 10 years old, I think, can't remember for sure. Anyway, I certainly had no idea of anything like reincarnation (though I think all through my childhood I was plagued with past-life memories and didn't know what they were). In this case, my sense of identification with the main character was really profound. But I didn't know where to put the information, how to conceptualize it, and I certainly couldn't tell anyone.

I don't think it necessarily means I *was* him, but it means I had a past life which resonated with the theme of his life, probably. Something about having been worldly, and then giving it up and pursuing the spiritual life, and people not believing that I was sincere but I did in fact become sincere--that part, and other aspects of it, resonated with me very strongly.
Steve S.

Der blaue Engel (the blue angel)with Marlene Dietrich, set (and produced) in Germany during the -30´s [in ´29, actually].

Saw it on TV as a little kid, ca.7-9 yrs old, and was struck with strong feeling, intense discomfort, sadness (although I like Dietrich singing....)and pity for the old man set for doom in his desire for the night-club singer.

Reading about the film now, I understand that through this story, it mirrors moods and feelings in that society prior to Hitler´s take-over.

Night and Fog. This movie so upset me that I had to sleep with a nightlight that night and move my wastebasket away from the head of the bed, for a long time to come, so terrified was I of having a nightmare or waking up in the middle of the night and seeing human heads in the wastebasket. The excuse of a Sociology teacher who showed this movie, as demonstrated by all of his other behaviour, clearly was either stupid, dense, or just not dealing with a full deck. He didn't even warn us about the graphic content of this film, which is a bunch of captured film footage the Nazis made of concentration camps, in French with subtitles. Several girls were crying, and he wouldn't let us leave the room. He prefaced it by saying "I've got a real treat for you." Then he saw me later on my way to lunch and asked me how I'd liked the movie. When I said it gave me a stomach ache he didn't even apologise or care, saying "Well, it got the point across." I was 17 then, and to this day I jerk my head away in horror or hide my eyes if I see or know I'm about to see a decapitated human head on tv or in a movie. Those lined-up human heads were the most horrific thing I have ever seen. But amazingly I had no nightmares over the movie; Oda was stronger than the memories evoked by the film and was able to block them out for me.

A happier connection I feel to movies are Laurel and Hardy shorts (only seen one of their full-length movies to date). Since I first saw them at 16, I became a fan overnight, and seeing their old shorts at 11:30 every Saturday morning during my junior year of highschool when I was in my grandparents' house was the only thing that made me happy. Since these films were all in the late Twenties and early and mid-Thirties, they coincided with when Oda was a girl, so perhaps she too loved them. I also have a strong connection to silent movies.

Oh, and also the movie "Ararat", which is about the Armenian genocide. When I watched the scene where one of the freedom fighters willingly left the encampment and put himself in the line of fire of the Turkish machine gun positions, I felt something like I did with those Japanese films-- a sense of wanting to scream "NO!".

--N.

The Gangs of New York

Did anyone see the movie The Gangs of New York?
I didn't yet, but I had to grasp for breath when I saw a few film pictures, like I've been there.
It's probably the mix of 19th century city life, those weird Victorian clothes, tophats and violence.
Rough talk, rough action, creepy but very familiar...

Curious Girl.

OH YEAH!

i have lots of movies that remind me of past lives. but especially the movie 1969 . there are parts in the whole movie that give me deja vu, especially the part where wynona (sp?) rider and keifer (sp?) sutherland are on the side of the road with their van.

~*~*~kat~*~*~

Something that had a greater visceral impact on me than anything else I’ve ever seen was the mass graves in Behind Enemy Lines I have little interest in what happens to my body after I die - cremation, burial in the small town cemeteries where I have relatives, research, don’t care - but long before I ever saw the movie or gave this any thought I’d had such a negative reaction to the idea of being buried in one of the large city cemeteries where I am now that I’ve not only begged my husband to promise to never bury me in one, but I’ve also put it in my will. It seemed eccentric even to me but after seeing the movie I think it’s because the large city cemeteries with their crowded and often barely marked graves are reminiscent of a mass grave.

I’ve recently been reading of the mass graves from the days of Stalin, and it seems so pitiful, all those people forgotten. Millions of people just gone, no records, except for the graves that are sometimes uncovered by farming or road construction machinery.
Certainly the idea of mass graves is terrible, but I have no idea why I should react more strongly than anyone else.

The directors

Dangerous Liaisons and My Beautiful Laundrette are both directed by Stephen Frears.
James Ivory (Room with a View) has the right sense for costumes and good acting.
There's still so much to see I haven't seen yet.

With love from petite Cosette.
I know in what movie you've seen her :)

Dear Petite Cosette--

I'm glad you have enjoyed the recommendations! Try to see Daniel Day Lewis in "The Crucible" - he is so good! And you'll also learn about how messed up early America was with the witch trials.

Stephen Frears is an excellent director!--James Ivory went to high school with my stepfather (in Oregon). I don't know him, but he is a good director, too.

No, I haven't seen "Valmont" - because, you know, there's only so much French aristocracy I can take! ;)

Geofrrey Rush is funny in "Shakespeare in Love" and "Pirates of the Caribbean," but he is actually my favorite bad guy ever in "Les Miserables" (with Liam Neeson) - one of my favorite all time movies! (I didn't see "Quills" because I was afraid it would kinky :eek: ;) )

I didn't know that James Ivory is American,
his movies are so English.

Quills isn't kinky, it's more bloody (than I expected)
but the dialogues are good and Kate Winslet is so cute :)

I've seen the first 30 minutes of The Crucible,
but it's such a depressing theme,
I couldn't watch it.

Les Miserables should be in French,
but I can't find the original French version anywhere.
So perhaps I should watch this one,
let's hope that Cosette is adorable and Javert is really bad.
Otherwise it wouldn't be fun :)

Curious Girl.

A Man For All Seasons

When I watched it, I felt that Paul Scofield was not bad, but he wasn't fast-talking enough and didn't crack enough jokes (which is as much about the script as about the actor, of course). And the plot was simplified; I have very few memories, but I knew both from having read the history and my own sense of it that it wasn't right.

But Robert Shaw as Henry VIII was scarily bang-on. Every time he was on screen the movie was alive for me, and creeping me down to my bones. Shaw was NOT overacting, I swear.

I could barely watch the end, where More gets beheaded. Just wanted to be out of the room, anywhere else.

Any flick about ancient Greece or environs -- the latest being Troy, of course -- makes me wish I could stay in the movie longer, whatever the plot is. Even a failed TV pilot on Alexander, which redefines the parameters of "bad" as applied to all aspects of TV -- script, acting, costumes, you name it. It was starring -- are you sitting down? -- William Shatner as Alexander, with Adam West as his misnamed best friend.

If this thread is still around on November 2, when Oliver Stone's Alexander comes out, I'll post about it. Certain parts of the trailer give me the shakes.

Love & peace,
Karen

This year I've noticed that all my obsession movies have the same theme of the hero and heroine not being able to be together.

Ghost
First Knight
Moulin Rouge
Sommersby
Out of Africa
Anna and the King
Roman Holiday
Somewhere in Time
The Thorn Birds

I'm also obsessed with the romantic ghost stories, "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" and "A Portrait of Jennie." They don't end up together in those movies either.

I can only guess that in a PL my life echoed this? :confused:

(Of course, two of those movies I very rarely will watch now b/c I was so obsessed with them at one time. They've finally lost their appeal; esp. Ghost).

For me

I almost went into shock when they showed Me Anne Frank in school I was stricken for days. I thought it to be the saddest story ever there was. Anything science fiction hits me very deep and esp. if it has to do with Atlantis(can't wait for stargate atlantis to start airing on the scifi channel). Mission to Mars one of my faves, the fifth element...ummm anyhting about time travel The Time machine by hg wells is great! JFK made me cry(and I never cried before i saw that one) then I saw AI and cried,too. Anything about king arthur and merlin or arthurian legend. They all hit me deep like I am familiar with them on a spiritual level.
T.V. shows, well I have an attraction to Charmed the thing is it's not something I'd normally watch faithfully(actually I lose interest in almost all tv series eventually) but I still watch and haven't lost interest in it three years so far, and watch the old episodes I missed on tnt often. It feels like maybe i have had a similar family tie, Three sisters, maybe even wiccan(which I am now and am pretty sure always have been). And the only Horror story that ever made me have really bad nightmares was Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I watch a lot of horror shows and never ever got affected the way I did when I saw that movie. Oh and any informative documentaries on aliens, ufo's and the bermuda triangle. esp flight 19 of the bermuda triangle dissappearences.

Re: For me

Speaking of disturbing films.... "Legends of the Fall" depressed me for at least two months. No kidding. It really, really disturbed me. I know that's silly considering it's just a movie, but it still disturbed me just the same.

Sophie's choice.....especially the scene where the mother is on the train station with her two children and the german soldier makes her choose which one she will take with her.....she doesn't know where the german train will take her, if she - and the child she takes with her - will survive. But she will also not know what will become of the child she leaves behind....

I was depressed for weeks, and had sleepless nights, after seeing this movie.

Eevee

Oh, Eevee - I agree! "Sophie's Choice" is the worst! I would never watch that scene willingly again.

Kristy - Your feelings abut the separated loves - and about "Legends of the Fall" are interesting. I, personally, think we can all relate to the separated loves because it is part of our human condition here on earth. No earthly love can be totally complete or fulfilling in a spiritual, enduring way.

What do you think bothers you about "Legends"??

For me, there are a few:

-Burned By The Sun (a Russian film)
-Far And Away (with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman)
-Ever After (typical Cinderella movie; but so many parts
triggered memories)
-LOTR series, mostly because of the "magic" involved, costumes,
swords, the whole feeling of the Shire, etc. Too many to list!

I know there are more, but they're not coming to me (typical!). :)

Jen. :)

For the longest time I felt that I was the lone pathetic sole who was certain they had memories from past lives but have never been able to get anything to "surface". That seems to be changing slowly but surely and in the past two months or so two films have really "hit home" for me.

The first was the opening scene of a movie called Makai Tensho that depicts the Shimabara rebellion in Japan in 1638. I felt as if I "knew" the main character-not the actor who'd I'd never seen before--but the man he portrayed. There was also a scene in which two of the Christian rebels are "found" hiding by soldiers. I watched that openi scene a number of times on different days and each time I could swear that it was a young woman and girl of about ten who were found. I was totally shocked when I saw a screencapture of that very instant in the scene and saw that it was an old woman and a younger one not a mother and child.

The second movie I saw last night. The Sea is Watching It was also Japanese set in the late 19th century in a small brothel. The builing seemed so familiar as did the main characters. It wa as if the main women were a yougner and older version of myself. The younger always falli for the men who would break her heart with the older one totally jaded and a bit envious of the younger when she finally finds a "good one". Even when the older woman chose to stay behind during a disadtrous flood to let the young couple escape and gave them the money she'd been saving fo ryears seemed so much "like me" that I couldn't believe it.

Also when the town is flooding and the women are alone in the brothel and sittin gon the stairs watchi the rising water it brought back a memory of our basement flooding when I was very small and I remember then being sort of" frozen" looking down those stairs because that too seemed so familiar to me and it was so much like the film scene.

Lastly in that film the younger prostitute had a pillow that made my jaw drop because it was almost identical to one I saw on eBay and that I "had" to bid on. It was more expensive than something I would normally get but I "had to have it"--and it was from the late 19th century.

I don't know if these films "nudged" something in me or if I'm totally caught up in my imagination lately *grin*

When I first saw the film "To Kill A Mockingbird" it made me really sad. I never was really fond of the 1930s in general, but the plot of the film really made me feel miserable.

Also, the semi-autobiographical film "Moonlight Mile". The courtroom scene always makes me cry. It's one of those things that I can't explain. The scene doesn't exactly make me feel sad. It's like I'm crying tears of happiness when I see that scene. It's weird, but the character Diana, the dead girl, reminds me so much of myself. I had to watch it two or three times trying to convince myself that I might have imagined the whole thing. But, it became one of those things that I couldn't deny. But, still I thought, so what? I mean, that doesn't have to mean anything, right?

a lot of the movies that have had an effect on me are war movies. HBO's band of brothers and also the Longest Day. When i watched Band of Brother's, i got goosebumps seeing the troops wearing the exact same uniform i saw in a past life dream i had a few years ago.(my avatar) i had spent hours scouring the internet trying to pinpoint the origin of the uniform, but having only a vague idea of what period or country, it was quite impossible. i had suspected at first it was a vietnam war era uniform becaus of the greenish hue, which put me completely on the wrong track.

Often time i find myself on the verge of tears when watching the battle scenes in movies about medieval or ancient wars, like in Troy and in the Joan of Arc movie whose title i dont remember now. (starring lee lee sobieski) i find these movies very moving, and i cant resist films that centre around anthing during medieval times, especially if they have good battle scenes. i'm very attracted to the armour, swords and shields. Any documentaries or ilms that deal with ancient warriors are also irresistible for me, and this i owe to my many lifetimes as a soldier or warrior. i have uncovered 8 lifetimes now, and the 5 male lifetimes have all been soldier lifetimes. As an american paratrooper in ww2, a military adviser in present day south africa, a portuguese sailor, a (probably) moorish soldier, and finally a frenchman who served in military communications during the 100 years war.

other films that i feel a connection to would be those dealing with victorian england and turn of the century america. for example, the House of Mirth. The clothing and the way of life i find very appealing.

Good movies about reincarnation:

THE LOVE OF SUNYA
LITTLE BUDDHA
KUNDUN
THE BLUE BIRD (possible reincarnation scene in movie)
THE SEARCH FOR BRIDEY MURPHY

Crummy movies about reincarnation:

DEAD AGAIN
AUDREY ROSE

Why do I say these 2 movies are crummy? Because they make reincarnation and past life memories outrageously unreal, melodramatic, and dangerous to tamper with. I do not recommend them.

'The Elephant Man' from 1980. It was filmed depicting late 19th century Britain and the hospital scenes seemed to resonate with me. Everything from the gas flames used as lights and the shiny floors to the layout of the hospital wards/beds (the coughing of the patients particulary stuck a chord) and the writing of the signs. This is interesting because I had a pastlife interpreted as me being interned in a medical asylum for tuberculosis from around that same time-period. I'm not sure if it was in the UK, but it was definitely in Europe somewhere.

Interesting Ben, this kind of things also resonate with me.
My memories of a hospital in the early 1900's are quite positive.
The hospital was part of a convent, and it was a very sunny and peaceful place.
The nurses had time for their patients, they talked with them
and prayed with them.
Taking care of the soul was part of the medical treatment.
There wasn't this stressy ER atmosphere,
but I bet that changed in WWI.

Btw, I've seen Gangs of New York,
and it didn't impress me at all (as a movie),
nor did it ring any past life bell.
Though it was the first time that Cameron did act instead of giggle,
Leonardo unshaved looks better than shaved (like that's important ;))
And though the "Butcher" role was played magnificent, it wasn't what I call a good movie.
Too many card board backgrounds and the real New York feeling was missing.
I remember the series "Ellis Island" thát was the right feeling.

Up to the next good movie :)

Curious Girl.

It's not new--it's Anthony Quinn's last movie before he died. My distributor passed it along to me for my opinion, without realizing that it had a reincarnation theme. In some ways it's like "Birth," with a trick ending that undoes or leaves the reincarnation assumption questionable. But that is done in a gentler way than "Birth." It's in Italian with English subtitles, set in Brazil. Because of all those factors, apparently so far it's been passed over here.

However, it's a masterful movie, very powerful artistically, emotionally, and spiritually. Even though my copy had time-code running, and it kept pausing and starting again, I was deeply moved by it.

Honestly I feel like it's no accident that it "fell in my lap" the way it did. So I'm trying to bring it to the attention of people who may be able do something with it. If it moves forward, I'll post something here to that effect.
Steve S.

Back