• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

proportionately speaking

Ghost of Gumby

Hi, Friends : )
I am sitting here, and it has suddenly dawned on me that I don't know how much of my personality is a product of my genetic makeup and how much is from an aggregation of my past lives. Is it possible to change from lifetime to lifetime simply because of a different genetic makeup? ( I know, for example, that when I was female, which in most instances I was female in my past lives, I had a very different personality in each instance) So in each lifetime, we are either somewhat different or radically different depending on the influence of genetics, yet somehow we retain our former idenity as formed in our past lives. So this leads to the question; which is stronger in the the makeup of our personality? Our genetic structure, or our soul signature which was passed along in a long succession of past lives?

For me I would say it is the influence of my past lives and definitely the product of the amazing woman my mother is along with my father teaching me how to treat people.

Interesting question, Ghost of Gumby...and while we're not likely to come to a definitive answer, I believe it is less about genetics and more about what we came here with and plan to do here from a soul-level standpoint...genetics provide the physical structure and commonality with whom we are born rather than the personality we come with and further develop while incarnate (my children share our gene pool, but their personalities are lightyears apart). Mama's comment also bears weight from the standpoint her parents, as soulmates, assisted her in developing some particular and valuable traits which have enabled her to play her role in this lifetime, and most likely, in accordance with the lifeplan they each had a hand in planning.

To me, personality is affected by the time and place we are born...the astrological characteristics provide a framework for basic proclivities and default traits. While not locked into those traits, they usually fairly accurately predict one's predilections...and your time, date and location of birth was planned by you with the others in your soulgroup.

Then, while you have access to the characteristics and traits developed through past incarnations, you provided yourself certain primary characteristics and personality strengths which will enable you to have a successful sojourn on earth and to fulfill the plan/script/role you were born to play.

With the framework set up, we are further formed by our environment and those in it who have an impact on how we view the space we occupy...as above, usually those with whom we've planned circumstances which enable our formation into the person we are and are becoming, and ideally we become perfectly outfitted to achieve the purposes for which we came.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it may also depend on where you are in your soul's "evolution". I think that more mature (or older) souls are more "evened" out and become stable and their personalities transfer more continuously from one life to the next. Younger souls I think would be caught up in trying out roles and pitting one thing against another for the sake of learning their differences and similarities.

I think too our physical appearance is linked to our soul's age. I think it's interesting how people have this expectation that we'd look exactly the same as our previous life. I think this is skewed by the few (if credible) cases of famous reincarnation.

Younger souls are more drawn to influence, power, fame ect. and it makes sense to me that the would become attached to or place a high amount of importance on their physical appearance. Whereas for older souls that's further down on the list of priorities; although I do think it's common to see some similarities.

So all in all, I think it's a combination of things: our soul's age, the genetics and environmental factors.

Astrology and numerology play a role also. I'll leave the explanation to others who know more about it than I do. On the "Soul Survivor" blog there is an astrologer who said Edgar Cayce predicted that if someone dies young before they accomplish what they had planned, then when they reincarnate the astrological positions will be the exact opposite of the previous person. He did the chart for James Leninger and it is indeed the exact opposite of James Huston, the pilot he was previously.

what's the significance of an opposite chart? And by the same token, what happens if they are the same or similar?

I agree that social factor play an important role in the development of personality, especially with a child. So this indicates that there are at least four factors which influence the development of personality; socialization, genetics, past lives, and possibly supernatural guidance. I often think that those people who were born into this world with extream anger issues must have had some hostility left over from a former life. What really differenciates as to whether we are born with a loving, nurturing demeanor, or a demeanor of anger, rage, and hatred? Yet in everyday life we encounter both of these personality types every where we go. Some claim that agression is just a primitive instinct, the "fight or flight" response inherent in us all. I think that good parents and a stable home environment is crucial, and this would be good fortune more than anything else. Yet those other factors seem to influence us as well.

Hi,

On the "Soul Survivor" blog there is an astrologer who said Edgar Cayce predicted that if someone dies young before they accomplish what they had planned, then when they reincarnate the astrological positions will be the exact opposite of the previous person.
Did he give a reference? What book or document/lecture Cayce said it? Is there more to it than this? An interesting observation...kinda.
I don't know anything about astrological positions and how they affect people.

Argonne, this is very interesting on what Edgar Cayce said and I have never heard of this before.

Now am gonna have to seriously think on this. In a past life regression, it was said that I was a young Cheyenne girl which died young of a lung sickness - tuberculosis. Onetime I visited the Northern Cheyenne Reservation and in which I visited the local cemetery where I had a profound experience. This is really interesting! Thanks for the link and posting this.

Back