• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Shipwreck dream (?)

michaldembinski

Senior Registered
It is 1920s or 1930s USA. I'm watching a black and white film. A steamship has capsized; it's on its side. The camera is looking back along the hull; from scores of portholes are emerging survivors. I'm aware that for every survivor there must be hundreds of drowned people on the other side of the ship. People are chaoticly scrambling out of the portholes, pushing each other out in a panic to ecape the rising waters. We're not too far from shore (are these the Great Lakes, or the east coast? Or just a movie?) I catch the name of the ship - it is the 'SS Eberhardt'. I wake up, rush to the Internet to seek validation...

http://www.immigrantships.net/v3/1800v3/eberhardt18460000.html

Ah well... 80 years early...

Such is the nature of dreams.

Oh wow! What a fascinating dream, michal. Thank you so much for sharing. I've never been able to validate any past life impressions like that, so, I am blown away. :)

I wonder why you got the impression it happened in the 1920s and 1930s? Was it due to the fact you were viewing the scene in the form of a black and white movie?

That's an interesting twist. Maybe there is something significant in the 20s or 30s that happened to you, that relates to that wreck?? I honestly don't know. For some people their dreams are symbolic or have messages within them. I don't think I could interpret that one since I didn't have that dream. Ironically, I did have a shipwreck dream myself. I know it happened in the mid 19th century. I believe I was sailing from Galway, Ireland to New York, but I never made it. I believe everybody drowned.

Chansa said:
I wonder why you got the impression it happened in the 1920s and 1930s? Was it due to the fact you were viewing the scene in the form of a black and white movie?

Hi Chansa,

The vessel was a steamship with an iron or steel hull. Think "Titanic" but much smaller; two funnels I rather fancy. T

The movie element is also interesting. My point of view was a cross between cameraman on deck and cinema audience.

Hi Quintessence,

My most-recent PL was, I believe, that of an Irish immigrant who sailed to America as a small child, grew up in Kentucky in the 1920s and 1930s. A childhood of semi-rural poverty punctuated by treats such as soda, bubblegum, ballgames and the movies. Incidentally, there's a lot about Irish emigration to America available online - maybe your Galway vessel is there to...

Michal

Idea

Hey Michal,

maybe you picked up the Eberhardt because you were an immigrant on board and maybe later in your life you witnessed the Eastland disaster, possibly as a survivor, only to die in the 1920s and that's why you got the images.
I wonder if any of the names on the Eberhardt list coincide with the passenger or crew lists from the Eastland...there's a link on the site that Patrick suggested.
It might be worth a night of looking...
Good luck.
catseye:thumbsup:

Hi Michal,

I was also thinking that the Eberhardt probably sailed more than once and possibly for many years. I looked briefly at your link and it looks just like one passenger list from one journey. Perhaps the Eberhardt continued to sail until the 1920's and then wrecked.

Vicky

patrick1882 said:
That sounds like the Eastland disaster in Chicago

http://www.eastlanddisaster.org/

Ah yes! Patrick - this is almost exactly what I dreamt! The location close to shore, the overcast morning light, the light grey hull, the funnels, portholes - only thing is the buildings on the shore seemed further away - otherwise what a fit!

The name...

Passenger list has an Eberlein (survived) and five Ehrhardts (two perished). And two Martins (the surname I once dreamt I had as I died in hospital in 1956/7 in my immediate PL). The Martin that died was a married 40 year old woman. This is interesting, as I'd been trying to visualise my PL mother and failing.

Michal

Quintessence said:
Fascinating...I have a thing for 30s cameras

Same here - my first 'proper' camera was a 1938 Leica IIIb with 35mm Elmar lens - I now use a 1956 Leica M3.

Now THIS is EXACTLY what I dreamt...

https://vintage-camera-lenses.com/tag/leica-iii/

My point of view was from the hull, near the bow (where the two figures nearest the left hand side are standing). I was looking aft. Absolutely uncanny! Only question is - was I there, or watching a film? I'm sure someone would have taken a camera to the spot to film it...

Michal

vicky said:
Hi Michal,

I was also thinking that the Eberhardt probably sailed more than once and possibly for many years. I looked briefly at your link and it looks just like one passenger list from one journey. Perhaps the Eberhardt continued to sail until the 1920's and then wrecked.

Vicky

Yes indeed - though the ship was like the "Eastland". I surmise that the the orginal Eberhardt was a sailing ship, the name might have been carried over to a metal-hulled steamship sometime in the early 1900s.

Michael

catseye said:
Hey Michal,

maybe you picked up the Eberhardt because you were an immigrant on board and maybe later in your life you witnessed the Eastland disaster

This is, I think the most likely explanation... Maybe I sailed to America on the Eberhardt and saw pictures of the Eastland disaster as a child in an American cinema. The disaster obviously made it big in contemporary media reports. Although I do feel I came over as a very small child from Ireland during the Civil War in the early 1920s...

Michal

Back