• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Was it a past life experience?

Frank_183

Dear all,

I just remembered a scene when I was about 1-1.5 years old. It was about 8-10am and I was still asleep. Yes, it is confirmed that I slept amazingly long for a toddler. So, my dad was at work and my older brother in kindergarten or elementary school. We had been living then in a high storey appartment building on the 7th floor. Our place was about 60 feet above the ground. Now, in my sleep I had a very vivid dream. I feel out of the window and rushed downwards on my back, steadily accelerating, hearing the whoosh of the air and seeing the scenery rushing by. And I remember this sinking feeling in the stomach area. About 3 feet away from the ground I stopped and I bounced up a bit 2-3 times while hearing the sound of metal springs. Just as if you were jumping on an old bed with those box springs. After that I woke up, felt scared and got up to look for my Mom. I found her on her bed crying, being totally desperate and I felt she wanted to be dead. Totally shocked I went back to my room, sat on the floor and was totally paralysed. It is confirmed that my mother was suffering from severe depression for the first 2-3 years of my life, most likely suicidal. Much later she had confirmed to me that I she hadn't had two small children she probably would have killed herself.

But what I am thinking about right now is this: How as baby/toddler could I have known how it feels, looks and sounds for fall down 60 feet? Later in my life I have jumped off high diving boards and even once did bungee jumping, so if I had this dream today I would think nothing about this detail. But at 1.5 years I most definetely hadn't jumped down anywhere, how could I have known this sinking feeling? Had I maybe dipped in to a past life where I had committed suicide by jumping down from a bridge or building, leaving behind a child crying for me who was now my mother? Is that a possibility?

Thanks a lot
Frank

There are different aspects in what you have described. First, the 'falling dream' is a very common one which many people have at some point, sometimes frequently, including the sensation of the bed bouncing as one 'lands' back in it. On one level, it seems to take place at that boundary between waking and sleeping, where we may experience gradually falling asleep and suddenly waking up. It has been said that during sleep our soul or spirit (whatever term you prefer) leaves the body and goes on its own journeyings. The jolt we feel on waking is said to be the literal return to the body after such a journey.

However you rightly point out that the content of the dream contained details which would not be familiar to you as a child of that age. It makes sense to seek some sort of origin for that knowledge, and a past life would certainly be one place to look. Whether it represents an actual past-life experience or just a narrative constructed in the dream, making use of past-life knowledge I would not like to say.

The connection with your mother's state of mind at the time does seem meaningful in some way, just how it all fits together, there may be more than one way to look at that, but it does seem her fear of losing her child could have some of her own past-life recall behind it. Maybe in some earlier life she did experience such a tragic loss. Possibly.

Frank, I think it would be hard to say if that had any connection to a past life or not. For instance, as a toddler I was always having nightmares of falling from a plane - very vividly, with all the feelings/sensations involved - and yet that doesn't fit into any past life I'm aware of. Still, enough to stop me ever flying in a plane in this life! Falling dreams are one of the most common, so I guess it's impossible to tell the cause. 'Flying' dreams are also common, and I still have them regularly. I know what it feels like to take a run and lift off from the ground across a lake ... but those can't be connected to any past life experience.

As Speedwell says, your connection to your mother's state of mind seems meaningful, but in what way it's also hard to tell. The bond between mother and child does often seem to provide an awareness from one to the other in times of great need, in a similar way to identical twins. It's often been reported that a mother instinctively knows if her child is dead, even if this happens at a great distance. I don't know what research has been done into this kind of thing.

Thanks a lot everybody, this is highly fascinating for me. It it not too important for me, if it really was a past life or not. It's just the idea that it might be and this would shine a different light on it and what it means for my current life.

Back