• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

A Fear Of Loud Noises

Conroy

New Member
My (nearly) four year old son has, over the past six months or so, developed a fear of loud noises, such as fireworks and even Christmas crackers being pulled.

Previously, these things wouldn't have bothered him and, in fact, last year he absolutely loved the fireworks on Bonfire Night. This year he was petrified and ended up going into the house with my mum instead of watching them.

Do you think he's rediscovering some kind of past-life trauma, which is making him react in this way to these things?

He did have an episode very early on in this life where a fire engine siren went off right next to him and woke him up with a fright, but as I said he's previously enjoyed things such as fireworks and other loud things (and he's not exactly quiet himself most of the time - he's a typical (nearly) four year old). For that reason, I can't see why the trauma would come from that early experience with the fire engine.

In the past he has expressed some things spontaneously which I believe may be past-life recollections, but as soon as I've asked about any of them in any more depth he's changed the subject completely or answered with something silly. He's never mentioned loud noises or anything like that when remembering these possible PL memories.

What do you think?
 
It could be that he's reached an age where a traumatic PL event happened. It's also possible that he's grown old enough, in the cognitive sense, to associate loud noise and danger. The fear of loud noises seems to be almost hard-wired into us.
 
I agree with BriarRose, it could be either. I've gone through phases in my life where loud noises haven't bothered me at all to where I'm terrified, depends on the state of my nerves, perhaps. I think it's pretty instinctual, to humans a loud noise means - look out! But we don't always react the same way.
 
It's hard to say since none of us are professionals here but it could be past life related as it seems this stuff can manifest at any time.


The only anecdotal evidence I can give is having this happen to me also around that age. I got over it, but many years later in adulthood found out I suffered many bombings in a past life during WWII.


Hope he'll be ok.
 
Thank you all for your replies.


BR, your suggestion of a trauma perhaps happening at this age in a previous life did occur to me as a possibility too.


I guess it's just a case of seeing whether it's 'just a phase' and whether it passes with time.
 
I used to have two seemingly irrational fears as a child, which I now believe were past life related.


The first was a terrible fear of water. I was OK in the bath, but I was terrified of having my hair washed, because it involved having water poured over my head and running down my face. So I'd avoid doing it for as long as I could. Eventually, my parents had to intercede, and then had to physically hold me over the kitchen sink while they shampoo'd my hair and then rinsed it off with water. The whole time, I'd be screaming and crying! It was an horrendous experience for me. I eventually grew out of that, but still remained terrified of water in swimming pools, afraid I'd drown, and spent my school years just holding onto the side of the pool while my friends happily dived in and swam like fish! Eventually, when I got to about 18 or 19 - I cannot now remember exactly how old I was - I was in a local swimming pool and decided I'd had enough of this debilitating fear, and was going to teach myself to swim. So I did. And what's more, within an hour and a half, I'd progressed to the point where I was hurling myself off the high diving board! Suddenly, I had no fear of water anymore, and haven't since. By facing my fear, I had conquered it. Finally!


The other irrational fear is not uncommon among children, but I had it to an excessive degree: fear of the dark. When my mother would tuck me into bed at night, I would always ask her to leave my light on, open my bedroom door, and leave the living room door downstairs open so I could hear the TV, which I also requested turned up. Thinking of it now, I think it was as much a fear of being left alone as it was of the dark. To this day, I find it impossible to get to sleep without a light on of some sort (usually from outside the room). I also can't sleep in total silence: I need some low volume, low frequency background noise. If I'm not alone, however, then those requirements disappear.


We humans are complex beings!
 
Arrant said:
The other irrational fear is not uncommon among children, but I had it to an excessive degree: fear of the dark. When my mother would tuck me into bed at night, I would always ask her to leave my light on, open my bedroom door, and leave the living room door downstairs open so I could hear the TV, which I also requested turned up. Thinking of it now, I think it was as much a fear of being left alone as it was of the dark. To this day, I find it impossible to get to sleep without a light on of some sort (usually from outside the room). I also can't sleep in total silence: I need some low volume, low frequency background noise. If I'm not alone, however, then those requirements disappear.
Fear of the dark can also be something else. Have you ever had a "missing time" experience?
 
argonne1918 said:
Fear of the dark can also be something else. Have you ever had a "missing time" experience?
No, not that I know of. Perhaps you can elaborate on your question?
 
ZeonChar said:
Where do you think this fear came from?
I can only speculate that it came from an experience of drowning in a past life. That used to be my most feared way of dying, despite the fact that everything I'd ever heard or read suggested it was a pleasant way to go.
 
Arrant said:
I can only speculate that it came from an experience of drowning in a past life. That used to be my most feared way of dying, despite the fact that everything I'd ever heard or read suggested it was a pleasant way to go.
You think that maybe you crash landed in the ocean and drowned that way?
 
My son had exactly the same two phobias when he was little. I couldn't wash his hair, and he couldn't learn to swim. He had to sleep with a light on, and had to have noise, like a TV, on in his room. If you turned either off, he immediately woke up.That was true until he got married. He used to babble about Guadalcanal when he was 18 months, so it may be war related. I think you probably drowned, Arrant. You could have been shot down, and clung to a raft until you fell asleep, and slipped in. The terror of being utterly alone could tie into that. There are any number of possible scenarios.
 
BriarRose said:
I think you probably drowned, Arrant. You could have been shot down, and clung to a raft until you fell asleep, and slipped in. The terror of being utterly alone could tie into that. There are any number of possible scenarios.
Maybe he was shot down and couldn't get out of his plane and drowned that way? I remember reading that book about James Leininger and I think he died similarly. I also remember reading in that book or another that some pilots couldn't swim and their worst fear was crash-landing in the ocean because they knew they would drown.
 
ZeonChar said:
Maybe he was shot down and couldn't get out of his plane and drowned that way? I remember reading that book about James Leininger and I think he died similarly. I also remember reading in that book or another that some pilots couldn't swim and their worst fear was crash-landing in the ocean because they knew they would drown.
The "Wildcat" plane that Leninger/Huston died in had a balky cockpit cover that jammed easily. The Germans did the world a favor by inventing the ejection seat. Just pull the handle and hang on! It was needed for the new jets. If you tried to jump out of a jet you would be hit by the tail.
 
BriarRose said:
My son had exactly the same two phobias when he was little. I couldn't wash his hair, and he couldn't learn to swim. He had to sleep with a light on, and had to have noise, like a TV, on in his room. If you turned either off, he immediately woke up.That was true until he got married. He used to babble about Guadalcanal when he was 18 months, so it may be war related.
How much do you know about Guadalcanal? It was bad. The U.S. was not ready for fighting a battle like that yet, but Japan was on the verge of attacking Australia.
 
BriarRose said:
My son had exactly the same two phobias when he was little. I couldn't wash his hair, and he couldn't learn to swim. He had to sleep with a light on, and had to have noise, like a TV, on in his room. If you turned either off, he immediately woke up.That was true until he got married. He used to babble about Guadalcanal when he was 18 months, so it may be war related.
It's too bad that you didn't find out more about what he was talking about as far as Guadalcanal is concerned. Sounds like it would have been interesting to record his responses. You know that Dr. Jim Tucker took over the work for Dr. Stevenson and has been writing books about children's past lives? He might be interested in hearing about your son if you have enough information to go on.
 
Back
Top