• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

A memory of the British Navy in the 1800's?

Hi Peter,


Thanks for that info. I was already aware that it was the uniform of the Royal Marines before I ever remembered any memories from this particular life. So I hope my memories are not 'contaminated' in any way by things that i've found out in my present life.


Here's a bit more from my journal:

I found myself being forced to climb the 'rigging' of an old sailing ship. I was about as far up as I was able to go. There was a spar joined to the mast just in front of and above me, there were narrow metal bands wrapped around it, and attched to the band, were looped leather straps which I assume were there to hold on to. (i've been trying to validate this without any success so far). There was rain pouring against my face, it was difficult to see, I couldn't wipe the rain from my eyes because both of my hands were clinging on to the spar as if my life depended on it, and I had that sensation of falling that often happens in dreams, except I didn't fall this time. But I was too scared to go either up or down, I couldn't move, but I was also trying very hard not to show any fear.
I obviously suffered with vertigo then.... as I do in my present life - :(
 
Wow, that's an intense memory, Chris. I got shivers just thinking about it! I've always felt great sympathy for those men, who to climb the masts - it would scare me to death to do it :eek: :)
 
I've seen sea battles depicted in various movies before, and normally I would have questioned this experience and whether it came from my imagination - or from deep within my subconscious memories. Ever since I was very young, I've always had a great fascination for naval warfare during this time period, and I've seen a few films, and read many books. But to be there in the middle of a battle and to be actually experiencing it is something entirely different. No book can capture the fear, the noise (definately the noise) the panic, or the heart pounding anxiety of being present in a scene like the following, and that is what convinces me that what I experienced was a past-life memory. I couldn't think of any appropriate words graphic enough to describe what it was like, and it's all still very fresh in my mind even now, several days later.


The following came to me in a dream several nights ago, and i'm sure it was related to my earlier memories of being a sailor in the 18th/19th century. From my journal.....

I found myself holding onto a thick black cable and I was being lowered down the side of the ship (or possibly I was being pulled up?) The cable seemed to be very greasy, thick black grease, and I had to hold on very tight because if I loosen my grip even slightly, then my hands will begin to slide down. I look down and I can see a large rowing boat with about 6 or 7 men inside. I note that the water is quite choppy and it's making white surf around the boat (it seems funny that amid all the calamity going on around me, that I notice something as trivial as that) 2 of the men in the boat are holding what appear to be large oval shaped boards above the heads of the others, acting like a kind of shield?
There is a sea battle taking place and this was one of the most alarming experiences i've ever had. I can't see any sunlight for thick gray smoke, my throat is sore and I can feel the smoke heavy on my chest. The noise is deafening, constant gunfire like thunder and explosions with sounds of cracking wood, I can hear men screaming above me and other men cheering and screaming behind me. I look to my left and I'm looking along the side of the ship towards the stern, I can see black and cream colored stripes on the side with so much smoke and fire coming out of the holes and making everything look hazy, there's total chaos all around me, I can't see any horizon, only ships overtaking one another all around, and a tangle of masts and sails. It doesn't feel like we're in the middle of the ocean, it's like we're all contained in a small arena, it actually feels quite claustrophobic, like there's no way out. I feel like i'm trapped in a cauldron of noise, every explosion seems to rattle my whole body, if I had to define Hell, then this scene I find myself in would have made a perfect description.


I'm being lowered down (or pulled up) the side of the ship, the rowing boat below me, I can see some of the men with their arms outstretched, reaching out towards something (maybe the end of the cable i'm on) i'm aware of the grave danger i'm in, and that those men below are also putting themselves in great danger for me. I shut my eyes tightly and push my head into the bend of my arm, as if that would drown out the carnage going on around me and make it go away. Suddenly to my right, I think a cannonball smashes into the side of the ship and this sudden shock causes me to slip down the cable a short way before I somehow manage to restore my grip. I hardly notice it straight away, but I feel my right arm is very hot, and a terrible sensation when I move it that is difficult to describe, I look up and the sleeve of my shirt is bloody red and torn, my arm has been ripped open from my hand to my elbow. I remember feeling as though I was going to faint, and i'm aware of being pulled very quickly back up the side of the ship. I have just enough presence of mind to hold on tightly to the cable, I have to focus every ounce of willpower into holding on to that cable with my good arm, before I lose consciousness, and what most probably would have been my life.
I don't remember reaching the top and being pulled back onbard the ship, but I know that I didn't die, or i didn't fall because I had a previous memory of seeing my arm ripped open like that, but I think it was a while later when I was waiting for the ship's surgeon to treat it.
 
Wow what a story Chris.. It still surprises me when I think of history like your experience actually being real.... I am afraid my history teacher was not very interesting.. LOL///


I am glad you updated your story.. I was about to do a search and find some of the moderators past life memories.


You must have been one tough cookie in that life ..Did you find out the reason for such an adventure?? Leaving home let alone going on the high seas would be remarkable for a woman of that time.


soulfreindly
 
Thanks soulfreindly, it is hard to find the right words to describe that experience. You know how it is when you go on a vacation and then you come home and watch the movies that you took? You see it all again on the tv, but it isn't the same as being there is it? It was a bit like that with this only in reverse if that makes any sense? I've seen similar scenes in the movies, but this was so much bigger, and instead of seeing it on a screen, it's like you're surrounded by it, the sounds, the smells, all your senses being bombarded at the same time....and of course there was no Errol Flynn to come to my rescue either... :D (sorry, I couldn't resist that one - ;) )


I can't answer your question i'm afraid, there's still a lot of pieces missing to this puzzle. I have no idea why, but I know I was very determined to get onboard a ship, and I felt very much like a loner, there was no partner or children to leave behind, maybe I was running away from a poor life and looking for the thrill of an adventure or something? But when I experienced that battle, I would rather have been anywhere but there in that moment.
 
HI Chris,,


That is the trouble with having an adventurous spirit,, it sometimes leads to trouble... I had a life in first world war.. where I invited my freind to go with me to battle . I was all gung ho and thought only of saving my homeland.. But upon my death again the great guilt{ my recurrring theme} . I was so sorry to have asked my freind along. Now I try and ask if the person feels really prepared before going ahead and making my adventures look so rosey.


That freind , I do see now from time to time and he is totally into all things pacifist so I hope I did not cause him any imbalances. I have been sending my sorrys to him in my mind , and I hope he carries no trauma from dieing in that life. I remember getting blown up by a hand grenade. although I am not totally sure he died too.


Soulfreindly
 
Chris, what an amazing past life memory! Such detail! You write so well...it almost feels like I am watching it all on the big screen! I can only hope that my meditations become as involved and detailed as yours (I have only tried past life meditation four times, so far). Thank you for sharing your memories...they inspire me to continue on my quest to discover 'me'. :thumbsup:
 
Chris,


I wanted to bump this, so others could enjoy this thread. I wanted to give you the 'Admiral Benbow' sea shanty.


But the description of the 'Antelope' is pretty graphic in this sea shanty. Modern, but I think the writer had lots of p/l influences. Sorry the video is lurid, it is the words that count. Great sea song!


YOU can edit it Chris, lol! I think I got the link right, but I do not know, maybe how to put vids up on this side.


The song is 'Barrett's Privateers' and I watched them ALL and the version with the singing Pirate Flag is the only good one re the words. Though the ones of drunks in Nova Scotia pubs are pretty funny too, they do not do justice to it.
 
Thanks for the 'bump' Maxine :thumbsup:


I enjoyed going back and reading through this thread again. I haven't remembered anything else from this lifetime since I last posted, but there may be more still to come, who knows?


Thanks for the link, but it doesn't work for me :( It just says "The video you have requested is not available."
 
I enjoy those memories as well. Something about a woman{ who I am } being so brave to take that risk I suppose. Way to go Chris.. I am not sure , but I did not read how you felt about that life?? Did it have any lasting affects on your mood??


Thinking about it now , your courage appeals to me as I have had a recurring block about women's difficult struggles in history due to the prejudice about our weaknesses.. I have always wanted to take more of a stand against it. I suppose it is time to tackle this doubt that I could hack the struggle and controversy from those who might disagree with me and just do something and see where it leads. Although we seem to have had great strides in womens rights . Maybe it was just my generation??


Thanks for sharing Chris.. soulfreindly
 
Thanks soulfreindly, i'm not sure if I was so brave and maybe I got more than I bargained for after I smuggled myself onto that ship, I mean there is nowhere to run when you're in a sea battle like that, and I remember feeling very frightened and that I would rather have been anywhere but there, but I guess everyone there probably felt that way to some extent. I don't think it was my intention to get myself in the Navy to fight, maybe I was hoping to run away to a different country, or maybe I was blinded by my desire for 'adventure'? I have all these things yet to discover .... hopefully.


This life hasn't really affected me as profoundly as some of my other lives, not yet anyway. I think maybe I need to put those other life issues to rest first before I can process this one.
 
ChrisR said:
Thanks for the 'bump' Maxine :thumbsup:
I enjoyed going back and reading through this thread again. I haven't remembered anything else from this lifetime since I last posted, but there may be more still to come, who knows?


Thanks for the link, but it doesn't work for me :( It just says "The video you have requested is not available."
Did fix that link, in the end, Chris. I am a very dyslexic typist.


The video is silly, but the song is, I think at least, moving.
 
Chris, interesting that you should mention this. One of my lives was spent in the British Navy, in what would have been the late 1700s- early 1800s. I was "pressed" into service when young--about 13 or 14. One of the ships in which I served was called the Carysfort. I am not clear on whether or not I was on just the Carysfort, or if I served on others, though my impression is that I did serve on more than one ship. I was known as a topman, one of the sailors who worked on the highest yards...I do know I died in a fall from the yards...it was likely a fall of well over 70 feet. This was later in my life...I believe I was between 25 and 30 at the time.
 
Sorry Lights, I only just saw your post there after all this time, thanks very much for sharing your experience: :)


Over the last few days, several memories from my navy life have surfaced. I believe they were triggered after I stumbled upon an internet documentary about the death of Nelson while searching for something of an entirely different nature. Coincidentally, I found and watched this documentary 2 days ago on 21st October..... the 204th anniversary of Nelson's death!


I have to mention that some of the details remembered here I've been able to verify from books that I've already read over the years, however, it's the emotional content that leads me to believe that what I was experiencing was an actual memory.


I now believe that the battle I've recounted earlier in this thread was the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, and I was serving aboard HMS Orion, a woman disguised as a male sailor. Through research, I've found out that the Orion survived the battle and at some point during this time, my true gender was exposed, probably while I was being treated for the severe injury to my right arm.


I remember that after the battle, we made our way back to port in the Orion. Word had already spread among the fleet of Nelson's death, and although upsetting, I was at first pretty much detached from the grief that every other sailor felt, probably on account of the shock of the battle and my own injuries. When I had deliberately got myself impressed into the navy, I never anticipated fighting in any battle, I'm sure I joined for the adventure and to see a bit of the world.


Fast forward... I and the rest of the crew have disembarked on an island (I already know that this would have been Gibraltar) Due to the exposure of my true identity as a woman, I remember being questioned by the naval authorities, two men in high ranking uniforms asking me what the purpose of my being here was. I felt that they were easy on me due to the severity of my shock and injury, and maybe because I'd just played a part in serving my country in battle. They eventually offered me a lowly position usually reserved for women onboard one of the ships, which I declined, mainly because my illusions of an exciting life full of adventure at sea had just been shattered by recent events, I just wanted to get my feet back on dry land as soon as possible.


I was told that I was to be transferred to another ship and taken back to Portsmouth, where I would be free to go about my business outside of the navy. I was to report to HMS Victory the next morning for the long journey home. It was at this time, as my own trauma began to subside, that Nelson's death began to have a similar affect on me as it did the other men. I would be travelling home on 'his' ship, where he had lived and died.


I remember boarding the badly damaged, but 'patched up' vessel and being escorted to the lower decks along with many other 'passengers' which included injured sailors, several other women, children and animals. We were free to move around the ship, as long as we didn't 'get in the way'. I remember the mood on the ship was extremely sombre, the jolly atmosphere I remembered on the Orion prior to the battle was not evident on this ship. Most of the sailors went about their daily tasks in silence, a few of them trying to cheer others with singing, but to no avail. It was the sombre atmosphere that had the biggest impact on me, there was certainly no sense of 'victory' as one would expect after winning the greatest battle in naval history, I felt as if I was in amongst a huge family that had just lost their own father.


I remember pulling a kindly looking sailor to one side while it wasn't so busy. He looked rather too old to be on this ship, at least in his 50's or 60's. I asked him if he would be good enough to escort me to the spot where Nelson had died. I don't think I realised at the time, that Nelson's body was still onboard, preserved in a huge keg of brandy in his cabin for the long voyage home. This was obviously kept under 24 hour guard and nobody was allowed to enter.


Noticing the sling on my arm and enquiring about the nature of my injury on the way, the old sailor took me to the location of Nelson's death, which was surprisingly close to where I was being accomodated. The first thing that struck me was the dried blood caked onto the floor for as far as I could see. This was the area where all the wounded sailors had been treated throughout the battle, and the sight and smell of blood still filled the entire deck. I was lead to a dimly lit corner and the old man pointed to the spot, I remember his words.... "This be where the great man drew his mortal breath ma'am". There was no visible evidence that anything had occured here except a few personal items that some of the men had left here in Nelson's memory. I had three yellow flowers that I had picked before I boarded the ship, with the intention of laying them where Nelson had died, and I did just that before crossing myself and uttering a short prayer. The whole feeling reminded me of the first time I visited the Victory as a 7 year old child in my present life, and how I spent a few short moments alone on the very spot where I had stood nearly 200 years before, that same sombre feeling, it was a moment where I could feel my two lives merged into one if that makes sense.


And that's where the memories end. I don't recall what happened to me when I arrived back in England yet. But the events of the last couple of days have really left me in a kind of poignant mood. Nelson's death has a much more personal meaning to me now than the fascination I've had with him for all the years of my present life.


Sorry this got a bit long, if you're still with me, thanks very much for reading, the story continues.... I hope :)
 
I just wanted to add an interesting point to my previous post. The spot marking Nelson's death on the Victory today, is not consistent with my memory, although I believe it was in close proximity, the area that I was shown by the old man was a 'corner' formed by two intersecting beams. I also seemed to be aware of this when I visited the ship as a child in my present life, but I've always accepted the site where it is ....up until now ;)
 
Hi Chris,


That's all very interesting... :thumbsup:


I visited the HMS Victory many years ago. I remember that what impressed me most was the "surgery room", all painted in red from floor to ceiling and with the most horrendous "surgery instruments" (saws, etc...) hanging on the walls. No anaesthesia in those days either. Quite ghastly. The ship, however, is still most beautifully preserved.
 
Thanks very much Charles :thumbsup:


Yes I remember seeing the red painted floors in the surgery area, obviously for the reason of disguising all the blood so that the patients wouldn't panic (as if having a leg amputated without anaesthetic wasn't enough!) Fortunately, I don't have any direct memories of how my arm was treated, all I remember is what the wound looked like, and that I was lucky not to lose my arm.


You'd probably notice a big difference in the preservation if you visited the Victory today. They've opened up new parts of the ship to the public, and now you're able to walk around at your own leisure.... no need for the guided tour anymore. It's a pity that only 20% of the original ship remains though, I have to go back and see her again soon, she feels like an old friend of mine ;)
 
Thanks for sharing, Chris! Fascinating, detailed and vivid memories, yay - always a good read! :thumbsup:


Karoliina
 
Thanks very much Karoliina :) I've been hoping that none of the memories in my last post have been 'contaminated' by all of the information that I've researched over several years. But I think the huge interest that I've had in Nelson and the Victory ever since I was a little boy, and all the books I've read over the years are evidence enough that all of this could have meant something to me in a past life. I remember when I was little, some people thought it was funny that my friends were coming home from the library with books on 'Thomas the Tank Engine' and 'Rupert the Bear', while I had a stack of books about Nelson and 18th century naval warfare..... I was only about 6 or 7! :D
 
Back
Top