• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

"A Walking Shadow"

BriarRose

Member
As some of you with long memories may recall that I have been trying to untangle a PL that seems to have a connection to the poet and playwright, Christopher Marlowe. Synchronicity and memory seem to be leading me down this path. I never get close enough to see his face, but I know it's Marlowe. He walks across a broad lawn toward me, but doesn't get near enough to speak. In my recent dreams, the "shadow" of Marlowe is there, observing unrelated and nonsensical scenes. I just awoke from a nap. I dreamed that I was in a long "hall of records" where I go in PL meditations. I opened a door, and there was a drawer of the type where bodies are kept in a morgue. It could have been a burial niche from an old church. A man in Elizabethan clothing climbed out. I said "Edward, why are you lurking in there?", and promptly woke up. The name "Edward" has been in common use forever, but I got two possible "hits". First, Marlowe wrote an historical play about Edward the II. Marlowe was gay, and it is speculated that so was Edward the II. The other "hit" was a man named Edward Coke (pronounced Cook) He was a contemporary of Marlowe's, and considered to be one of the greatest English Jurists of all time. One case he was known for was a decision on sodomy, which he found to be an abomination. I knew nothing of the play, or the jurist before my dream. It still begs the question - who was I in this tangle? There are lots of people who claim to be Marlowe, and I don't wish to join their ranks. Anyway, I am never in Marlowe's body. He is a "shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage", which makes me think my subconscious says that Shakespeare didn't write all his plays. We owe some of them to Kit Marlowe. Just an after thought- Lady Arbella Stuart was entangled to some degree with Marlowe and Coke. Marlowe was her tutor, and Coke ruled on legal cases in which her name was involved.
 
They found poor Arbella's coffin stacked on top of Mary Stuart's. No wonder I always felt "close" to her! LOL Last night, I researched Marlowe's murderers, to make sure one of them wasn't named "Edward". Thank God, no!
 
The Edward in your dream could be Edward Alleyn. Alleyn was a major figure of the Elizabethan theater.
 
Thank you, Chryscat, I hadn't thought of him. The man who climbed out of the crypt was well dressed, in the typical clothing of the period. He was wearing one of those soft hats,cocked at an angle, and with a feather. Edward Alleyne is a logical choice. I will see if I can find a picture.
 
Back
Top