• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Auld Lang Syne, Camille and Edelfelt

Karoliina

Moderator Emerita
I had a dream last night, where I was first at an art exhibition of Albert Edelfelt. He was a famous Finnish painter, who was born in the 1850s and he worked and lived mostly in Paris. Now this could've been only because I saw one of his paintings yesterday. But later in the dream I went to a library to look for Alexander Dumas' book Camille.

At first these things don't seem connected (Camille was published in 1848 that is before Edelfelt's time), but Camille is also located in Paris, and it tells about a courtesan. I read last year a book I really liked written by an art historian, who was trying to track down a model Edelfelt used a lot in his paintings, who supposedly was a courtesan and his mistress. Then I realized that a 19th century woman with strawberry blonde, curly hair, who I've seen a couple of times in my regressions, looks a lot like this model/courtesan in Edelfelt's paintings.

Well the dream continued. Next I was in an event of some kind, where two young women were on the stage singing the Auld Lang Syne. They had wine glasses in their hands they were toasting. I was in the audience, and everybody there were singing along, toasting and a bit tipsy. The women on the stage wore big dresses that were mostly blue and white, with a little red in them. One of them was blonde, the other had red hair. I was identifying with or admired the redhaired one. In the audience I was either with two other people or with one, and somebody else was usually with us. She could've been the woman on stage. Anyway I had a competetive relationship with this person, who was with me, and we were "fighting" over somebody we both liked. I believe we were young men courting the same girl. My companion and I acted civilized on the outside, but he made a lot of nasty remarks "in between the lines" so to speak, and finally I lost my temper and pushed him to the ground. People started fussing.

That was all. I knew the melody of Auld Lang Syne, but not the lyrics. Now I read that it's apparently about toasting at one point, and that people in the English-speaking world usually sing it during the New Year celebrations. My dream could've been a New Year's eve, but my first thought when I woke up, was that it was a graduation party of some sort. I read today it's sang in graduations in Taiwan, but the people in my dream were Western.

I'll try to think about this more when I have the time, but if anybody has any thoughts on this, I'd be interested. Something makes me believe this dream had a lot of clues about a past life/lives.

Karoliina
 
Wow Karoliina!

That's a really interesting and detailed dream! :thumbsup: It's true that traditionally we sing "Auld Lang Syne" at the stroke of midnight to honor times past. People get really sentimental over it :D "Auld Lang Syne" is an extremely old Scottish song that was first written down in the 1700s. Robert Burns is the person whose transcription got the most attention, so the song is associated with him. Your dream could have also taken place in Europe as well, then. I am not sure when the song was sung back then, it could have been used for any celebration, or gathering. I'll have to do some reading and see what I can find ;)

Ailish :)
 
Hi Karoliina,

I found this in Wikipedia:

Bandleader Guy Lombardo popularized the association of the song with New Year's Eve, through his annual broadcasts on radio and TV, beginning in 1929. However, he did not invent or first introduce the custom. The ProQuest newspaper archive has articles going back to 1896 that describe revellers on both sides of the Atlantic singing the song to usher in the New Year. Two examples:

New York Times, Jan 5, 1896. p. 10 HOLIDAY PARTIES AT LENOX [Mass.]. ... The company joined hands in the great music room at midnight and sang "Auld Lang Syne" as the last stroke of 12 sounded and the new year came in.

Washington Post, Jan 2, 1910. p. 12 NEW YEAR'S EVE IN LONDON. Usual Customs Observed by People of All Classes. ... The passing of the old year was celebrated in London much as usual. The Scotch residents gathered outside of St. Paul's Church and sang "Auld Lang Syne" as the last stroke of 12 sounded from the great bell.

Just a thought, but is it possible that this dream could have something to do with your male life in England?

Ailish :D
 
Thanks Ailish, you're always so willing to help!

I just got home and if I have time tonight I'll do some more research on this dream.

At first I thought it was about my antebellum life in the South, because the dresses the women wore on the stage were so big. But nothing else matched with that time period, so I guess they could've just worn historical dresses to perform.

I would say the dream probably has something to do with my English life that was from the 1870s to maybe 1930s. It seems I was on the move a lot, but at least I lived in England (Kent and London), South Africa and possibly in NYC too. The New York Times story sounds a lot like my dream, but I wouldn't have been there that early, if I wasn't visiting.

I believe I was a soldier in that life (or at least fought in the second Boer War and the WWI), so maybe I'll try to find out if any military academies (or whatever they are called in English) had graduation parties like that.

Karoliina
 
Thanks for asking, Sunniva. :)


Yes, I have had some further memories of this lifetime. They are actually quite many, even if I haven't really tried to do any reasearch in a long time. Maybe I should try and tell a little more about this life some other (better) time...


Now I think this life started around the 1820's and lasted until around 1880's. It was a priviledged life of an upper-class English man (with Scottish roots), whose family was colonialists. In that life I travelled a lot, even lived abroad and met a lot of women. I was also married with daughters. One of my mistresses was a red-haired courtesan from Paris, so the dream I describe in the first post in this thread was really trying to tell me something.


I'll try to come back to this thread soon and tell you more about this particular lifetime. :)


Karoliina
 
Very interesting! I'd love to hear more, if you want to share :)


Personally, I feel very attracted to the Bohemian spirit - the artist environment (I know it's silly, but the environment described in the Moulin Rouge movie). I absolutely love the art of Alphonse Mucha and the architecture of the time too :)


I haven't had any real memories of the time though, it's just a feeling, if you know what I mean :rolleyes:
 
So here, as promised, some additional information on my 19th century PL as an English male. :)


I have never really organised my experiences of this lifetime or put them in chronological order, so this will probably be a little messy. :o


I don't have many memories of my childhood, but I believe I was born and lived in England, on the countryside, even though at least as an adult I had also a townhouse in London. I believe at least my father was Scottish or had Scottish roots. My family was very well off, and I believe they were involved in colonial trade and perhaps politics. I have childhood memories of India, where my uncle or some other male relative lived. Later in life I had some business in South Africa, and I believe I went to India sometimes also as an adult.


I had a wife in England, and we had four daughters, I believe, but I was never very attached to my home or family. I had always travelled and had several mistresses and affairs in different countries, and that didn't change when I got married or had children (unfortunately). I felt affection towards my wife, but I believe my greatest love was a Canadian woman, who was a little older than me and unmarried. She was a free spirit, who travelled a lot like I did. I would've wanted to marry her, but it seemed impossible because of the geographical distance and age gap. And I have a feeling she wasn't that eager to marry me anyway...


I think I was a bi-sexual and had a male lover in South Africa. I also know I was in love with a red-haired courtesan in Paris, where I spent quite a lot of time. And when I was already pretty old, I fell in love with a beautiful young girl, who was probably just playing games with the old man, who was wealthy and buying her jewellery (good for her).


I don't remember how I died, but I believe I lived to be around 60 or so, and I think my wife died already quite young. My last years were spent in my big house, reading books in a library, smoking cigars and drinking scotch. I believe my brother lived with me then. This life was a lot of fun in a way, but it was also empty emotionally, and I think that in my later years I felt a little sorry for not being there for my family earlier. I have no memories of my daughters being grown-up. It could be they didn't want to see me or then I just haven't remembered yet. Anyway at least two of them died already as children, but I hope the other two lived old and were happy.


Karoliina
 
Thanks so much for sharing that, K :) It was a very interesting read.


I love this time period and this story fits in perfectly with how you would expect and upper-class man, who needn't worry about money, to be. It seems to me that lot of these Bohemians tended to have a definite image of what love should be like, searching and searching for it, but with no luck and often a great deal of disappointment for that kind of love they wanted doesn't really exist. It's no surprise that the only woman he felt he *really* loved was one he couldn't have :rolleyes: :tongue:


I hope you'll share if you get more updates :)
 
You're definitely right, Sunniva. I, of course, have sympathy for my previous persona :D but I can totally see his shortcomings now. But there are reasons to everything - also to why I had such a life.


I will let you know if something new comes up.


Karoliina
 
Back
Top