• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Belonging to a place...

stardis

Senior Registered
I don't know if this is a past life memory, but I have wondered about it for 36 years. This is a true event and not a dream.

I was driving along a highway and where the flat plains of one state meet the sudden rise of the mountains of the next, I was overcome with a feeling that I was home. I felt compelled to stop the automobile and get out. I found a place to pull off the highway and went walking along this area of grassy plain abutting the mountains of the next state. I couldn't understand this feeling that I was home. I lingered there as long as I could and tried to examine my feelings. I felt that I belonged at that spot and that was where I was meant to be. I think about that every so often.

I would pass through that same area a number of times over the years and I would always feel the same way. Once, when driving the opposite direction, I stopped in the mountains to look down over the grassy plain and contemplate what the heck I was experiencing. It was a very dark and cold winter night (Christmas Eve, I think). The snow was quite deep and I stayed for a long time looking at the lights from homes and communities below. I never understood my feelings about that place.

Now, while reading some posts on the forum, I wonder if that could be a past life memory of a place. When you have such a strong feeling about a place that it kind of haunts you, could there be a connection from the past?

I think it was Tinkerman that had a physical connection to a past life in Kansas, and that made me wonder about this place. He would probably understand a little about this place since it is where southwest Missouri meets northwest Arkansas. Kansas is just a few miles from there and I have similar feelings (although, not as strong) about that part of southeast Kansas. When driving along the turnpike in Kansas, just north of the Oklahoma border, I have the feeling that I need to get off the highway and linger there awhile. It is not like me to do that; I usually drive straight through to wherever I am going, stopping only for fuel.

Also, I was born in Oklahoma not far from these places, but we only lived there a short time on an Indian reservation (I am told). We traveled constantly and didn't settle in any one place until I was 5 years old (in northern Colorado).

It turns out that my wife's family is from those mountains in Arkansas, not far from there.

Reading the posts has made me wonder about the feeling of belonging to a place. Thought I would share that.
 
I have not had that happen to me.. but I can see that a past life there would reflect in your sense of belonging.. I wonder if that means you are supposed to use this in some way...Would spending time there be good for your soul development ??, or maybe regression around this sensation of belonging to this part of the world..??. Is it in your soul plan to be triggered by this area??


I had a couple of deja vues last week. And got to thinking that it could be a sign that I am on my right path in my life. I have not had alot of feeling that I am on any sort of path.. no strong passions , and time consuming health issues. But I felt through deja vues I was being given a pat on the back for accomplishing what I have.


Experiences mean different things to different people. Have you felt a longing for going back , or doing something else with your experience.??. One action can lead to another.. What sort of lasting feelings do you have about that experience?? It sounds like it still intrigues something deep in your heart???


Soulfreindly
 
Hello Stardis,


It sounds pretty strongly to me that your soul is familiar with the place - or at least the place resonates for some spiritual reason. It could also be because your wife is from there (sometimes we're drawn to places where our soul family members live).


Would you be curious to find out about it? You could try meditation or asking for information in dreams, for example. :)


Karoliina
 
intriguing ideas...


Hi, soulfriendly


Your posting has some really intriguing ideas. I had not thought about using that experience in my search for my life's plan, let alone soul development. That is a profound thought to me. I have just recently read about "triggering", maybe on this forum, and that will require a lot of thought. I had never heard of that concept before and would like to know more about that.


I haven't felt a longing for going back there; however, I am clearly unable to forget about it. It seemed, and still does, that there is something in the back of mind that I just can't think of or remember.


When I was younger, I thought that perhaps I was "supposed" to live there someday-- but I no longer think that.


Deja Vu is very rare for me. Were your experiences about a place or were they more of an event unfolding before you?
 
soul family...


Hi, Karoliina,


I like your idea of asking for information in a dream. I will try meditation also.


My wife has always lived in the small town that we live in now. However, her parents and their families are from that area that I speak about. I had never thought about them as part of my soul family, but in truth, I love my wife's parents as if they were my own. I am very close to them and we are good friends (they live close by us). My wife and I had crossed paths many times since she was a small girl and I was a young teenager, but it wasn't until we were adults that we actually met and introduced ourselves (maybe 15 years after I first had that puzzling experience).


The concept of a soul family is rather new to me. That just opens up a whole new world to me.
 
stardis said:
The concept of a soul family is rather new to me. That just opens up a whole new world to me.
Hi Stardis.


The concept of soul family I find very interesting to explore and essential for improvement.. I have found that through learning who my soul families are I have put alot of things to together so I can put some frustrations to rest.. I have found I have had what so far seems like two soul families. Although I will have to really write things down and reach a real conclusion as I have been remembering but not doing any documentation.


Maybe thinking now about it I did just have the one but because of the nature of the soul , it appears I have had two.. Like my families represent the polar dynamics of my soul. the yin and yang if you like.. This polarity is what stretches my soul growth..


.. I have re-met alot of people this life-- even people who I would not have thought I would initially be attracted to because of my present day upbringing . Through remaining open to more souls than I felt totally comfortable with I have been able to connect to and karma remains in motion and evolving towards more positive fulfillment.. \


Remember that feeling you had is part of you and that part of you is reaching out for understanding.. I think it would be a positive thing for you to explore further ..


Keep us posted .. Soulfreindly
 
Hi Stardis,


I see you already got some good advice (meditation, and dream work) for further exploration. You already have a lot to go on: the feeling of the place itself, the connection with your family-in-law.


Maybe it is also a good idea to write everything in a journal, all your feelings of connection you have with the place and the persons, it could make it easier for you to get insight and it might trigger more memories.


Good luck in your search and keep us posted !


Eevee
 
Hello Stardis, I'm sorry I missed this thread before. Yes in deed I know this area. In fact I spent my childhood in that southeast corner. Although I have not lived there in many years it is a place of fond memories. I believe that these home places are indeed connected to past lives. Where I live now in the northern section of the state has been my home for many lives, of that I'm certain. I recently came across a book on the particular tribe of people to which I once belonged. The area I live in now was their hunting/ summer home. But they made frequent trips along the Pawnee trail to the south and the area around what is now Wichita. I hate to influence your path of discovery, but it is possible you too had these native families in past lives. It was very normal to travel great distances to hunt. And the only road map was the view in front of their eyes. We knew the land by site and that's the familiarity I've experienced over and over again here.


Keep your mind, heart and eyes open, I believe you are on familiar ground.


Tinkerman
 
Hi Tinkerman,


Your reply made me really think about some things.


Something that I wonder about is the habit of performing some personal spiritual rituals that I have done for as long as I can remember. They are little ritualistic prayers and meditations. The prayers are to the Creator and the spirits of the Earth. I know that it seems a bit odd to most people but it is something I feel good about doing.


When I was very small, I started a habit of rising before the sun and sitting outside (weather permitting) and letting the suns rays renew my spirit and say a prayer of thanksgiving to the Creator for creating the world and giving us the sun. There is more to it than simply enjoying the beauty of the sunrise or sunset-- it is more about acknowledging the gift and thanking God for giving the Earth to us.


I have prayers for animals, trees and plants-- all sorts of things-- just small spontaneous prayers. These prayers are very private and people just see someone touching a tree trunk or holding a plant's leaf between the fingers. When I am saying a prayer to the winds or the earth, all that people see is someone letting a handful of soil slip between the fingers and my prayer remains intensely private and personal.


I wonder if these habits are somehow connected to rituals that Native Americans might have practiced. These ideas go against my religious training. I don't feel complete if I fail to recognize a connection with the natural world around me. It is not a compulsion because I can do it or not-- it is entirely my choice. I think I derive a satisfaction from saying a small prayer or performing a ritual that needed to be done at that moment. Do you have some habits from your PL as a Native American that have carried over into this life?


I like to say a prayer that asks for permission and a blessing before cutting something or harvesting fruits or vegetables. That is probably fairly common though.


Is there anyone reading this post that has these kinds of habits? Maybe a lot of people do these things and just keep them to themselves and I just don't realize it. Please don't think I am really weird or something because I am somewhat normal. (I know I am not completely normal, but maybe nobody is.) I am not superstitious so that is not what this is about.
 
Wow Stardis, we do have some common ground! I too have my own private ceremony/prayer ritual. And it is most certainly offered to the Great Spirit. I have mentioned here, on the forum briefly, but I do believe in a past life as a holyman/medicene man. Nothing, or no one grandios, just a simple holyman in tune with creation and a bountiful God. Nature was and is a reflection of the Great Spirit. To take the soil and give thanks is as old a ceremony as I can think of. I believe deep in my heart that the manifestations of the God/ The Great Spirit or what ever you recognize her (Tanguerra wink!) as, is all the same Perfection. I recently read a great book, The Shack, that kinda had the same theme to it. Man has labeled God so many different ways, even He gets confused! So don't fret your classical religious values...heck as a Catholic I'd really be a heretic!!! lol. Follow your heart...listen...you'll find the way. And I hope you see that some of what you are telling us about certainly has some Native American roots. Ceremony and giving thanks were and are of great importance to the Native peoples.


Thanks for your reply. Very interesting our common ground!


Tinkerman
 
I believe deep in my heart that the manifestations of the God/ The Great Spirit or what ever you recognize her (Tanguerra wink!) as, is all the same Perfection.
Tee hee Tinkerman and too right! (as we say Downunder - meaning "I think you are absolutely correct").


It is all connected and it is all the same 'stuff'. God (however you conceive Her) quite frankly, probably, (hopefully) has better things to do than worry Her pretty head over what flavour you like your religion - chocolate, strawberry or gelati - it's a personal preference and as long as you are 'being good' and playing nicely with your brothers and sisters, I'm sure it pleases Her. I think Her divine brow is more likely to become furrowed when people get into conflicts, crusades, pogroms, wars and other unfortunate activities of that nature, over what their favourite flavour is. At least, that is what would upset me most, if I were Her, particularly if they tried to blame me for it! :)

Stardis said:
(I know I am not completely normal, but maybe nobody is.)
Tee hee Stardis. You are most wise. :)


Speaking of belonging to a place and feeling a bit 'spooky' about it, no, you are not alone. I have a similar story. I am Australian, going back on both sides to the earliest settler days. I also have a smattering of aboriginal 'blood'. My mother's family, and her grandfather's 'people' before them, were originally from Queensland. I visited our beautiful Great Barrier Reef, which is a few hundred clicks north of where my mother's people were from, for a holiday recently and had the most amazing experience of the 'call to country'.


Let me explain. Australian Aborigines often describe how they 'belong' to their 'country' - their ancient territorial boundaries which extend great distances across our wide brown land and jewelled seas, in a complicated network of skin, family, spirit and legend. Sometimes they feel that their country is actually 'calling' to them to go there, to be there.


Traditionally, Aboriginal people do not 'own' their country like the Whitefella does, their country owns them. It is their duty to take care of various landmarks, songs, sacred sites, rivers and such which is the 'job' of the particular group. This is all worked out with an ancient and highly complex tradition of 'law' - religious, social, geographical, environmental and territorial rules about hunting... Some law is 'secret and sacred' - known only to a select few and passed by word of mouth for thousands and thousands of years. Obviously this kind of thinking 'does not compute' for most Europeans, and as you can imagine, it is a subject of ongoing dispute, but I wont' get into all the politics of it now.... :eek:


Anyway, I was on the deck of a yacht (yes, really, lucky me) sailing in the Whitsunday Islands on holiday in Queensland, and I felt this 'call to country' well up from my 'belly' and although I had always intellectually understood and agreed with the aboriginal experience of 'country' suddenly I just felt it. It was a strange yearning mixed with a powerful belonging and a kind of understanding that I was 'here' that is difficult to describe. It wasn't like a past life memory (although, who knows perhaps there was a bit of that going on as well). It was more like a 'body' memory. My 'body' is partly from there and I 'felt' it. 'This is where I am from'.
 
Is there anyone reading this post that has these kinds of habits? Maybe a lot of people do these things and just keep them to themselves and I just don't realize it. Please don't think I am really weird or something because I am somewhat normal. (I know I am not completely normal, but maybe nobody is.) I am not superstitious so that is not what this is about.
Hi stardis! I've been laughing over here because I think that everyone has all kinds of private rituals and habits of their own, and most people struggle to keep them well hidden from public eye!


I am not normal either, that's for sure :D . And even though I'm not sure I would call it a prayer, I do communicate with the earth and its creatures everyday. To me, it feels almost sinful to go by unaware of all the marvelous things that inhabit this earth. I am an amateur gardener and I have the firmest belief that the health of my plants is in great measure due to my love for them. I can almost hear their feelings inside me.


Holding the soil with bare hands, getting my nails all dirty and feeling the warmth and the smell of the soil are some of my "favourite things"... ;)


I doubt that I have native american past lives, but who knows? I'm still at the beginning of my journey, so I can't say. But I know that sometime in my previous lives I have been in close contact with nature, and have revered it. I still do :o


Nice to meet you!:thumbsup:

It wasn't like a past life memory (although, who knows perhaps there was a bit of that going on as well). It was more like a 'body' memory. My 'body' is partly from there and I 'felt' it. 'This is where I am from'.
Tanguerra, that is exactly what I mean! ;) Nature feels like a deeply ingrained "body memory" for me - it's also a sense of belonging, not to a specific place, but to the wonder of nature...

Traditionally, Aboriginal people do not 'own' their country like the Whitefella does, their country owns them. It is their duty to take care of various landmarks, songs, sacred sites, rivers and such which is the 'job' of the particular group. This is all worked out with an ancient and highly complex tradition of 'law' - religious, social, geographical, environmental and territorial rules about hunting... Some law is 'secret and sacred' - known only to a select few and passed by word of mouth for thousands and thousands of years. Obviously this kind of thinking 'does not compute' for most Europeans, and as you can imagine, it is a subject of ongoing dispute, but I wont' get into all the politics of it now....
I love Australia - I hope to visit sometime. Your country is very beautiful and wild, and the cities are incredible! I envy you, T.! :D (in a good way :D )


Love and Light guys!
 
Back
Top