GreenKnight
Senior Registered
I dont know my Regiment or anything or when I was born. Mostly I remember feelings.
From dreams and flashes spanning most of my life, this is what I remember.
My name then was Andrew McTavish. I was born and raised in South West Virginia south of Roanoke. I lived on a farm on the edge of some woods. A stream ran by the house and there was a water wheel. I get the feeling the people that raised me were not my parents.
I joined up at 17, the reasons for the war were not important to me. I wanted to impress the ladies by being a soldier. Specially one lady named Elizabeth. It distressed me greatly that I could not write her after I left . I was illiterate.
But I was nobody's soldier anyway. I was overweight and nearsighted (I am still nearsighted in this life and have had corrective lenses since age 11) There were some soldiers from Georgia who teased me because of my age, weight and because I "could not grow whiskers" They were cruel in their teasing.
On my first battle at Cedar Mountain, I didnt get to fire a shot. I got so scared that I tried to run away but got confused and ran into a cornfield were the battle was taking place. I did not run away from the battle but Into the battle! There was a Big gated house beyond the cornfields.
There was a guy (in the cornfield) from my company. I think his name was Jacob. He was trying to run away too. He said something and I laughed. I was laughing when the Union man shot me in the back just above the waist. The Union man was very tall possibly an officer and had a fancy hat.
I saw myself on the ground and "Jacob" was running. The Union man was shooting but Jacob got away.
I went home after that but everyone was gone from the farm. I sat on a rock for a long time watching the waterwheel. It no longer moved and I was sad. Some black children came to the stream to get water. They were laughing and playing and I was sad that I had not lived my life.
One of the little black girls looked right at me and I tried to talk to her but she got scared and ran away. I dont know what happened after that.
From dreams and flashes spanning most of my life, this is what I remember.
My name then was Andrew McTavish. I was born and raised in South West Virginia south of Roanoke. I lived on a farm on the edge of some woods. A stream ran by the house and there was a water wheel. I get the feeling the people that raised me were not my parents.
I joined up at 17, the reasons for the war were not important to me. I wanted to impress the ladies by being a soldier. Specially one lady named Elizabeth. It distressed me greatly that I could not write her after I left . I was illiterate.
But I was nobody's soldier anyway. I was overweight and nearsighted (I am still nearsighted in this life and have had corrective lenses since age 11) There were some soldiers from Georgia who teased me because of my age, weight and because I "could not grow whiskers" They were cruel in their teasing.
On my first battle at Cedar Mountain, I didnt get to fire a shot. I got so scared that I tried to run away but got confused and ran into a cornfield were the battle was taking place. I did not run away from the battle but Into the battle! There was a Big gated house beyond the cornfields.
There was a guy (in the cornfield) from my company. I think his name was Jacob. He was trying to run away too. He said something and I laughed. I was laughing when the Union man shot me in the back just above the waist. The Union man was very tall possibly an officer and had a fancy hat.
I saw myself on the ground and "Jacob" was running. The Union man was shooting but Jacob got away.
I went home after that but everyone was gone from the farm. I sat on a rock for a long time watching the waterwheel. It no longer moved and I was sad. Some black children came to the stream to get water. They were laughing and playing and I was sad that I had not lived my life.
One of the little black girls looked right at me and I tried to talk to her but she got scared and ran away. I dont know what happened after that.