• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Fritz in WW1

Arrant

Member
The other night I had a most interesting "dream." I've only just had chance to sit down and write about it, yet, unusually, I still remember almost all of it. I have no idea if it has any significance, if it IS a fragmentary recollection of a past life, or simply a product of my own sleepy imagination, but I relate it here for any interest it may hold to others...

I was a German soldier in the early part of WW1, an officer or senior NCO. It was no later than about 1915. I know this because of the pattern of the uniforms and helmets we were all wearing which, having studied the era to an extent, I know conformed with the early war period. The helmet I wore, and that of my comrades in the trenches, featured that vertical Prussian spike that looked so menacing and uncomfortable! Anyway, in this "dream" I was a much respected figure, and whatever my actual rank, I was referred to by one and all by my first name. This is one detail - my name - I can't actually remember, so I will call myself "Fritz."

Now, "Fritz" was evidently a decisive figure, something of a leader. When he made a decision of importance, particularly one involving action against the enemy - who were always the French - he would suddenly put his helmet on, and all those under his direct or indirect command would cheer, "Fritz has put his helmet on!", and brace themselves expectantly for what was to happen next. The feeling I felt was one of complete trust in my judgement and leadership. I also recall fixing a bayonet, knowing I was capable of using it to good effect, if very reluctantly.

I remember leading a group of soldiers out into some sort of farm courtyard, in full view of the jeering French soldiers, who outnumbered us two to one, feeling scared but with that fear under control, and also very conscious of the weight of responsibility for the young, trusting soldiers looking to me for their lead. I wasn't that old myself, but a grizzled veteran in comparison to the youngsters I led. There was a fight, and the details blur here, because at the moment of maximum danger to myself, and my men, I awoke, and can recall no more. There are other details I recall, but haven't written about, but the relevant stuff, I have.

The relevant stuff, as I see it, is this. I have always had a fear of taking responsibility in any situation, have always tried to find ways around it -much to my shame! It makes me run for the hills! Secondly, I have a pathological fear of anything medical - blood, needles, watching surgical procedures on TV, etc. The internal construction of the human body, when visible, makes me nauseous. I can't help it. I could never give blood - never had - as I couldn't have a needle put into a vein and blood extracted. I pray it never becomes necessary. Yet I can do stuff that places me, theoretically, in physical danger - extreme sports, for instance - without batting an eyelid. I feel almost casual about it. Always have.

So, I do wonder, is my current makeup something to do with a life as "Fritz"? I often feel I've had quite a few military lives; maybe this was just one of them?

Anybody's thoughts welcome, as always.
 
I think this was one of your lives. It has so much detail, and the aura of authenticity that past life dreams have. How do you feel about "Fritz"? I know that you are British, and believe that you were an RAF pilot in your last life. Do you feel any "animus" toward "Fritz", or can you easily accept him as part of your personality? I think this may be a huge breakthrough in getting the answers that you've been looking for.
 
BriarRose,


Thanks for your reply.


No, I have no ambivalent or ill feeling toward "Fritz". I truly wish I could be more like him in this life, have his resolve and strength of character, but without his circumstances to deal with, obviously.


If I lived a life as an RAF pilot in WW2, as I do still strongly suspect, then "Fritz" must have met his end in WW1. This would explain not only my fascination with WW2 aviation, but also my fascination with German politics in the 1920s and 30s - in particular the rise of Nazism - and my current desire to understand what forces and events shaped our present world. "Fritz" was a thinking man, I felt, very interested in why things happened the way they did, and I am exactly the same today.


I am going to reply separately to your PM.


A.
 
I, too, believe this sounds like a view into a past life. And I also had a similar sense of reticence to wield authority due to my most recent past life in which I died leading a platoon against the germans during the invasion of Italy in 1943. I am fortunate enough to play roles in this life with many of the "Band of Brothers" who perished with me then.


As near as I have been able to piece together the event, my platoon (I have heard "LT", but I'm not sure I was being referred to and I may have been a non-commissioned officer) was along a line and our flanks failed and we were cut off from behind. Instead of fighting our way back, which would have been certain death, we pushed forward very quickly and found a solitary defensive position which was, however, very exposed. I saved us all from instant death, but traded it for a slow, grinding mentally taxing and hopeless situation...we suffered hunger, thirst and eventually got overrun and killed by the germans after several days. After obtaining the above information and being given the understanding that what I did was positive and the best choice in a bad situation, I have been freed of the guilt and anguish and sense of obligation to the others. It also had the effect of releasing any difficulty with exercising leadership, enabling me to use a natural and effective talent for clear thinking and decision making.


I have also gotten overt support as well as subtle hints of respect and assurance of my abilities from these men (and woman!) who suffered there with me and who are now some of my best and most stalwart friends.
 
The Italian campaign was not the easiest. There was also criticism of the leaders who planned it. Patton's ego also played a role. On the other hand, it was a valuable learning experience leading up to D-Day. As was the invasion of Dieppe by the British and Canadians. Without these early events D-Day may not have been successful.
 
argonne1918 said:
The Italian campaign was not the easiest.
I'll say! I think it was a killer!


It did, however, save me the obligatory viet nam death...apparently that was the idea...check the modern warfare death box at the earliest point...and with soul contracts I had to have the nascent deep romance (another beautiful redhead!) and die "too soon" to round out my early 20th century panoply of unrequited love and tragedy...so my latter 20th and early 21st century life has gone from mundane, classic 50's american dream to focused, cutting edge, mental excitement...beats the prescribed mid-life crisis.
 
usetawuz said:
I'll say! I think it was a killer!
It did, however, save me the obligatory viet nam death...apparently that was the idea...
Usetawaz


Why do you think a life ending in death in Vietnam was "obligatory"? You are an American now, and your recent PLs seem to have been as an American, but the concept of reincarnation makes a nonsense out of any sense of nationalism. I am British, so a death in Vietnam doesn't seem obligatory to me. Nor does death in any war, really.


I can think of life as a German soldier in WW1 - a new idea to me, incidentally - much as I would as learning I once lived as a Roman Centurion, or a Japanese Samurai, for example. My allegiance, in either case, would've been to the culture into which I was born and raised.


Just curious, interested in your thinking on this.
 
Back
Top