• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Hearing Voices in White Noise

Red Night

Senior Registered
A while ago I generated white noise with a program on my computer and put on headphones, thinking that it might help my mind to meditate. Anyway, when I was doing this I could hear voices. It sounded like someone was speaking on an old radio, or like someone speaking though a radio that might be aboard a plane or something. I couldn't understand what they were saying though. Then I heard a man (?) singing opera and that was pretty much it. I haven't done it since, but I was wondering if there's an explanation for such an occurrence? Is it normal? Could it be something more...?

I wasn't scared or anything, it was actually kind of fun. I kept wondering what I was going to hear next! I've never had an experience like that before.

Hi Red Night.

Sorry, I am too scared to do that. Silly me, LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Night said:
I was wondering if there's an explanation for such an occurrence? Is it normal? Could it be something more...?
It's possible that we hear voices due to us wanting to hear them. Our brain could easily trick us and give us false information. After all, the easiest person to fool is yourself. I'm not saying that it can't connect us to the paranormal. I suppose the best way to test something such as this is by recording the session. If you think you can hear voices, like you've said, then play it back to someone, without telling them what you've heard, and see if they notice the same voice that you have.

I didn't go into it really expecting to hear anything, I just figured it would help my concentration. But that's a good idea, I could have someone else try it and see what they hear. Thanks!

Mama2HRB hahaha That's alright!

White noise is often used when people are recording "Electronic Voice Phenomena". Lots of info on the internet on that subject. Sounds fascinating to me, but possibly too tech challenging for me. I might give it a try sometime though as my mom will be passing soon from pancreatic cancer. With a different fan we had I used to hear voices in the white noise. With the fan we have now I just hear music occasionally. Drives me crazy as I'm trying to go to sleep!

Your electronics could have also been picking up stray radio signals from who knows where.

Personally, I don't find white noise comforting or relaxing, but that's because my dad had a TV repair shop when we were growing up, and white noise meant the TV was still broken. Seriously! To this day when I hear white noise I want to unplug whatever's making it and take it apart to see what's wrong with it!

I’ve picked up cell phone conversations on my MP3 player, which is a player only, not a receiver or phone of any kind, which to my mind seems should be impossible, but according to my hubby, somehow or another it can happen. Air to ground frequencies can also sometimes be picked up where they aren't expected.

Back